What to do with extra WvW points?

in WvW

Posted by: Chad.3825

Chad.3825

This is a problem without the new changes even, but now’s a good time to bring it up, because anet might actually look at the WvW forums.

Currently many players have way too many ability points, and there’s no way to spend them. Could we create a system where each point can be turned into one of those old tokens that you got for each WvW season? This would allow players to actually unlock the Mistforged Hero’s skins if they want them, and they wouldn’t have to rely on another season to come around before they can even hope to earn enough points.

In addition, I propose the 10,000 rank cap be removed so players can continue unlocking the ascended gear from the Battle Historian after they’ve spent their 10,000+ tokens. I would also say that the Thimble of Liquid World Experience should be removed as a purchasable item if the change were to happen, that way players cannot boost their WvW rank (even if it is incredibly inefficient).

This wouldn’t break any portion of the game currently, only that it may reduce the value of Laurels, but it would still take 200 ranks to get one ascended piece from the Battle Historian. That is a fairly large number, so maybe it could be reduced to 100-150?

Curious to know what you all think ^^

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I agree on certain points made in your post – especially the idea of converting world rank points into tokens as an alternative means of purchasing Mistforged Hero’s skins or even WvW gear.

WvW players with an abundance of left over points have no means of being able to use them which is very sad, stale and un-interesting. Another player suggested a more cosmetic-themed variant such as titles and/or special finishers that are permanent unlocks; non-refundable.

I tend to disagree on the subject of removing the Thimbles via using laurels as a means to purchase WvW ranks, to a degree…

…Some people have over 500 laurels sitting there doing nothing, exactly like the players with thousands of WvW ability points and I think it’s a viable albeit expensive way for someone who’s bought everything possible with laurels and can still use them to achieve rank points if they aren’t maxed out in siege masteries etc (e.g; Jimmy is still new to WvW and has not maxed out Flame Ram perks yet, however, he has heaps of laurels he’s saved up so he then uses those on Thimble of Liquid World Experience(s) to finish off Flame Ram mastery so he can deem himself a very useful asset in a team environment if they don’t have anyone else around with Flame Ram mastery)

I do, on the other hand, see this also as a means to negatively (buy your way really) bump up those pretty ‘Bronze, Silver Gold’ etc ranks, therefore, I think if that’s the case then this option should be greyed out and not buyable to those players who have maxed out every possible mastery/perk with points. I’m not sure if that is a sound suggestion though; debatable but some may view it unfair that others can simply ‘buy their way’ even if it has no advantage over others.

OP makes a valid & simple request: we need long-term, viable options to reward players who have tonnes of left over WvW ability points.

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

I replied to another post about making them a currency, like skill points. Be able to buy superior siege, get mystic forge stuff with them, whatever.

I love the idea about being able to unlock the other WvW skins this way. I wish I could spam +1 for this.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Yes and they remove 2 lines that everyone now have so no one wants them, so you free up 230points more with no were to Place.

Time to bump the good tread with alot off ideas about new lines to put Points in.

in WvW

Spurnshadow.3678

Keeping this alive.

in WvW

Posted by: Manvaeris.9857

Manvaeris.9857

This is a brilliant idea.

Maybe they can add lootbags as a good you can buy from the battle historian with claim tickets. Even if they are expensive, this would be great for people who don’t like the skins or have all the accessories, infusions and ascended materials they need.

Elementalist of [Salt] – Kodash

in WvW

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

I somehow don’t like the idea of turning the points into a currency. However, I like the idea of removing the 10,000 cap (wasn’t aware that existed… and I am still far away from it^^).

If the WvW ranks get tied to a repeatable achievement, it would be a start (also the whole WvW achievements will hopefully be reworked… but yeah, we know about it…)

This WvW rank achievement or the WvW ranks themselves could then be tied to access to:

• unique fancy looking commander tags (like same colors as now, but just with a more fancy shape or even guild logos as tag as one color images)
  • fancy, scary looking WvW armor/weapon skins
  • fancy, unique WvW finishers
  • awesome sounding titles
  • fancy, funny, intimidating skins for claimed objectives (like guild logo on the walls, walls painted in a dark black or ridiculous pink, all guards look like quaggans and go rage mode when fighting [unchanged skills compared to basic guards], or such things)
  • access to upgrades fur guild halls? (no idea yet how guild halls will work)
[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in WvW

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I dont have a lots of points in wvw but they should put some value on those extra points, so people can spend it.
They can do 50 points = 5 gold.
Let people spend their extra points on something that has value.

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

Easy…
Just introduce a reward track like spvp. Problem solved.

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Easy…

yay… encourage WvW blobbing and ktraining even more than these changes do….

in WvW

Spurnshadow.3678

Easy…

Then we smash their faces in and tell them to go to EotM

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Easy…

Not really. It depends how it is implemented.

in WvW

Posted by: Chad.3825

Chad.3825

Well what I meant by this was to reopen the ability to get the Mistforged weapons but also allow an outlet to spend the WvW points on. I understand that people want a bunch of cool stuff, but a lot of it is kind of unnecessary. I would, of course, love to get special armor/weapon skins, but this would just be something quick for them to implement. I dunno, it has room to be expanded on.

In terms of reward tracks, that would be EXTREMELY hard to balance in the game. T1 and T2 see a lot more action than any other tier, so making them get X amount of World Experience would be incredibly unbalanced. If it required World Experience that would further push people to EotM and Karma trains. If they based it off of capping objectives, there would be blobbing, if they based it off defending objectives there would be turtling, even if they based it off a combination what would the incentive to reduce the current blobbing be? I think that would be a huge pain and would take a long time to make work.

I think with converting the points into a currency (maybe even including badges in a larger conversion to reduce their inflation) could be a cool thing that also leaves new items to be added. A potential problem with it is that if the items become REALLY popular you could encourage blobbing. Thanks for the feedback though! I’m glad to see people support this; it would be really awesome if anet actually implemented this!