What was EOTM supposed to be?

in WvW

Posted by: Nem.1039

Nem.1039

When I first heard about it I was under the impression it was supposed to be a different place to go if you were in a queue for WvW to find fights.

But currently it seems that what you mostly see is a bunch of ppl doing karma trains.

This isn’t what anet really wanted this to be was it?

There is no defending of anything 99% of the time. The response I always get from the commander is more karma.

Can we just remove the Karma and Champ bags from EOTM and make it a place to have some epic open field fights.

in WvW

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

yeah, the karma/badges rewards in EOTM are pretty ridiculous for almost no effort. I’m not convinced EOTM was ever a good idea – it’s rare to have all 4 WVW maps fully queued these days, even in T1.

I feel like EOTM was yet another poorly thought through waste of resources, just like e.g. custom arenas (that aren’t customisable), tournament tickets, environment weapons, amongst others.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

EoTM is a cool map, but there is no reason to even compete in the map. It is just karma farming, and Anet realizes that. That seems to be why, if you transfer during the season, you are stuck in EoTM. Seems like a pretty mean punishment. Would even be better if EoTM didn’t count towards the season meta, considering they aren’t doing anything to help their servers in there. (And don’t say supply drop..lol)

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The players won’t defend because there are few rewards for doing it, and the rewards for PVD are too high.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

EotM was supposed to represent ANET’s vision for WvW. They had a lot of new ideas and implemented them there. This was in direct response to players saying ANET was out of touch.

So, the outcome? a great place for PvE, but failed as a WvW future.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

EoTM was a test for megaservers. The anonymity of players and thus lack of community caused it to fail miserably. Unfortunately Anet didn’t learn anything from this and the same thing is happening with the megaservers right now.

in WvW

Posted by: Jacklinger.2908

Jacklinger.2908

I like EOTM and sometimes spend all Friday night in it because all maps are queued the entire evening. I like the feel of it and you’re still indirectly helping your server even though you’re not in the main maps.

in WvW

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

I don’t think you actually contribute to server score at all Jack. You contribute to your own WvW achievements and rank but you don’t help your server.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in WvW

Posted by: Nem.1039

Nem.1039

I just really don’t understand wtf anet was thinking. They touted it as a new WvW area to play during queues but there is no WvW involved currently. it seems that it’s mostly blobs avoiding contact. The sad fact is you get more loot, xp, wxp, karma and badges then you do in WvW. Seems like such a great resource only to have it filled with lemming trains.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

It’s funny place where you can kill enemies and make enemy mad. I don’t really have any reason go normal www. Borderlands are total snorefest and EB is like boring version of EotM.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

This map is what you get when invite only WVW-GUILDS to beta test it. Guilds formed for pvd and farming undergeared/uplvled Randoms.^^

in WvW

Posted by: EmoDevo.3209

EmoDevo.3209

EotM is like a test map for stuff that they might implement into actual WvW someday. Currently it resembles PvE more than PvP so just use it as a karma train. Or you can do what I do and form a group of 5 and take on superior numbers. It’s a lot easier than you think though and we have often wiped groups of 25-30 with ease. So it’s not a challenge but more of trolling people who think they can get free loots.

in WvW

Posted by: Mastodon.2458

Mastodon.2458

EotM is like a test map for stuff that they might implement into actual WvW someday. Currently it resembles PvE more than PvP so just use it as a karma train. Or you can do what I do and form a group of 5 and take on superior numbers. It’s a lot easier than you think though and we have often wiped groups of 25-30 with ease. So it’s not a challenge but more of trolling people who think they can get free loots.

lol @ zerg bustin in eotm. Good game. Now learn to play and join ebg.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

EOTM is a waiting room with pretty wall paper. People who take it seriously and actually try to defend things have a few screws loose.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Dasefex.4810

Dasefex.4810

EOTM is a waiting room with pretty wall paper. People who take it seriously and actually try to defend things have a few screws loose.

i post this the other day but it seems like it needs to be posted 1 more time

http://captiongenerator.com/15883/Eotm-Karma-Train

Fishy Joes 80 necro wvw
Digital Sacrifice Guild

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

My new learned mad EotM skillz have made me so good that i am like god in EB.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

EmoDevo.3209

Read the post properly. I did say it’s not a challenge. The purpose is not to zerg bust but to troll the karma train. Unless you’re one of the players in the karma train that we kill… In that case, my apologies

(edited by EmoDevo.3209)

in WvW

Posted by: Sieg.8439

Sieg.8439

EotM in my opinion is there for PVEers to work on the WvW achievements with less PVP. It’s also a really solid way to level alts.
-Shrug-
I enjoy it.

Hoopa doopa.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

When I first heard about it I was under the impression it was supposed to be a different place to go if you were in a queue for WvW to find fights.

But currently it seems that what you mostly see is a bunch of ppl doing karma trains.

This isn’t what anet really wanted this to be was it?

There is no defending of anything 99% of the time. The response I always get from the commander is more karma.

Can we just remove the Karma and Champ bags from EOTM and make it a place to have some epic open field fights.

EOTM is another of their nicely designed area that has been poorly implemented. It is beautiful, you can feel how much work went into it, but nobody bother defending the objectives because:

1- Points do not matter for WvW score
2- You cannot upgrade keeps, there are no rewards for defending
3- It rewards too much karma trains

in WvW

Posted by: Murakami.5243

Murakami.5243

EOTM to WvW’ers is for:
1. Leveling up your lowbies without having to play PvE.
2. Steam rolling said lowbies with an organised group for kittens and giggles.

EOTM to PvE’ers is for:
1. Getting your WvW achievements and badges for your legendary’s Gift of Battle.
2. Getting more badges so you can make another legendary.

Golden Company X I I I [GC]
Developer of GW2 WvW for iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/gw2-wvw/id653987126?mt=8

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Basically pugland like EB with more incentive for people to farm than PvP, in fact it has balance issues and too much pve stuff, npcs and cliffs..

Its sad really because it’s wasted potential and resources, wvw has many issues that need addressing as it is.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

It was supposed to be the new WvW-Map a lot of people asked for

And it’s played the way the majority of player like to play it

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I heard one day PvP happened in EotM. True story.

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

^ what he said. you should be embarrassed, trying to gloat about working over uplevels in greens with ascended 80s.

downed state is bad for PVP

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Eotm is a karma train mixed with chempa loot farm and a bit of lvling farm and a slice of wvw achi farm. I got as much badges there within an hour with just kitten ing around as with 2 days of hc wvw on borders. Lol

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

EmoDevo.3209

^ what he said. you should be embarrassed, trying to gloat about working over uplevels in greens with ascended 80s.

Guilt tripping me isn’t going to work. Farming PvE players and trolling karma trains is so laughably easy and then I drink all your tears to rehydrate. If you don’t want to be stomped, don’t come into a PvP zone expecting carebears.

Edit: Oh never mind, I get it now. People like this (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Stop-Organized-Groups-in-EOTM) are the ones complaining that they can’t put up a fight in a PvP zone. Oh no, 5 people coming for our group of 30. How can we stop them???

(edited by EmoDevo.3209)

in WvW

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

Eotm is a karma train mixed with chempa loot farm and a bit of lvling farm and a slice of wvw achi farm. I got as much badges there within an hour with just kitten ing around as with 2 days of hc wvw on borders. Lol

this!

In few days of casual EotM karma-training I got over 100 wvw ranks, like 5k badges and metric crapton of loot, bags, gold.
TBH I was quite happy with it but after few days I felt like exploiting the mechanics of the game. Sad think is that most people in EotM do not even want to engage the enemy unless is it a coincidence.

IMO EotM map is very nice and could serve as an excellent stage for some epic fights but instead it is bigger Queensdale (champ train) and gankers paradise. On the other hand, ANet would have to make it so defending and actual wvw would be rewarding. I was quite disappointed when after 3 hours matchup there were no rewards, not even “GZ, your side won!”. OFC I got bags filled with goods and nice cash but… something is missing still.

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

In few days of casual EotM karma-training I got over 100 wvw ranks, like 5k badges and metric crapton of loot, bags, gold.
TBH I was quite happy with it but after few days I felt like exploiting the mechanics of the game. Sad think is that most people in EotM do not even want to engage the enemy unless is it a coincidence.

One day you will wake up in the morning and realize running the karma train is boring as hell and you don’t have the will to even start up GW2 anymore.

While if instead of that you would have been engaging in good PvP fights you’d be craving more every morning

Your choice, of course. Virtual loot versus enjoyment of the game.

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Gladiusrex.7698

Gladiusrex.7698

Hmnmm lets review.

If you do PVE world bosses, its a mass blob of people who kill a few mobs and get some loot.

If you do WvW, its a mass blob of people who kill a few mobs in a tower and get some loot.

if you do EOTM, its a mass blob of people who kill a few mobs in a sandbox and get some loot.

yeah, I see no way whatsoever that ANET isn’t following a theme here.

No matter what you do, you will likely be in a mass blob of people, mashing your 1 button til it breaks, or you wont get a heck of a lot of loot.

in WvW

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

This map is what you get when invite only WVW-GUILDS to beta test it. Guilds formed for pvd and farming undergeared/uplvled Randoms.^^

during beta, which I attended from day 1, there were no upscaled characters (you just clicked an NPC and °poof° lv80! ain’t that shinymagical?) and you could instantly get the best gear.
Also, in the second phase of the beta, more guilds were invited and not all of them were strictly wvw, so the data collected by a.net kept into account a wide array of dynamics, and if mere data were not enough, remember that they were there playing with us seeing what was happening constantly with their own eyes.

It’s true that left in the hands of less war-propelled folks EoTM turned into a pathetic pvdooring, but a.net can create content, they cannot mass-produce worthy players.

Possible solutions?
Make defending more rewarding and more appealing than pvdooring.

in WvW

Posted by: Sean.8274

Sean.8274

I go to EotM mainly for badges (to buy siege for real WvW) and to get some easy WxP.

Everyone I know does the same thing.

Lucy Ursa~80 Guardian | Worf Rozhenko~80 Warrior | Vera Valentine~80 Mesmer | Cupcake~80 Engi
King Arcturus X~80 Ranger | Suki Serra~80 Thief | Count Charon~80 Necro | Regulus Leo~80 Ele
HoD since launch

in WvW

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

Blame bad commanders; simple as that.

and don’t be afraid of letting them know that once or twice.

crank up RI to 1 hour, remove all karma/experience…..that would be a good start

[rant]
last night was ok for a decent amount of time (60/40) fighting or pvd/Defend
until the normally decent cmdr went full pvd to the point that the keep had a wide open waypoint, called out for a some help for 2 cycles and in about 10 minutes lost the keep with cmdr 2 small objectives away, it was sad.
[/rant]

and this is just making people new to wvw terribad cause they have no idea of what to do except pvd, any resistance and they leave or afk till a cmdr shows up.

lower the cap down to 15 people or something also

anet just needs to spank spank people for turning the awesome EotM into frostgorge.

Sincerly, Me.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawntree.7246

Dawntree.7246

EotM is the reason why Anet shouldn’t stack server to form a 3 way WvW. Nobody cares about defending because they don’t care about winning a match or at least put some efforts against the enemy. Who cares if “Badlands” or “Overgrowth” wins, who are they? Who am I playing with when I’m in EotM? No idea, I see a tag and just follow.

Sometime while trying to join with my commander, I might step into enemy zerg. Do you think I care to fight or going into that tower, build siege and stuff? No, I just jump to my death. I would die anyway, so nobody deserve my bag

So it has become a place to level alts and farm. No more no less. At the point that people rage if they see enemy defending.

Emanuel Dawntree – Nord Guardian of [TasH] – 9×80
Whiteside Ridge

in WvW

Posted by: Ljiona.9142

Ljiona.9142

It is a place where people can level their alts and PVEers from small servers can get their wvwvw achievements.

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

I like to run EOTM when I don’t have a couple of solid hours to run in WvW.

I like how casual it is.

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Basically pugland like EB with more incentive for people to farm than PvP, in fact it has balance issues and too much pve stuff, npcs and cliffs..

Its sad really because it’s wasted potential and resources, wvw has many issues that need addressing as it is.

Exactly, those resources they spent on eotm could have been better used in fixing the current wvw maps etc.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Sean.8274

Sean.8274

EotM is the reason why Anet shouldn’t stack server to form a 3 way WvW. Nobody cares about defending because they don’t care about winning a match or at least put some efforts against the enemy. Who cares if “Badlands” or “Overgrowth” wins, who are they? Who am I playing with when I’m in EotM? No idea, I see a tag and just follow.

Sometime while trying to join with my commander, I might step into enemy zerg. Do you think I care to fight or going into that tower, build siege and stuff? No, I just jump to my death. I would die anyway, so nobody deserve my bag

So it has become a place to level alts and farm. No more no less. At the point that people rage if they see enemy defending.

I still don’t understand why people do this (the bold text), we still get your bag when you throw yourself off of a cliff (as long as we hit you). You have just made it that much easier/quicker for us to get it. So….. I guess thanks for the easy loot!

Lucy Ursa~80 Guardian | Worf Rozhenko~80 Warrior | Vera Valentine~80 Mesmer | Cupcake~80 Engi
King Arcturus X~80 Ranger | Suki Serra~80 Thief | Count Charon~80 Necro | Regulus Leo~80 Ele
HoD since launch

in WvW

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

As someone who was greatly looking forward to EotM as “the roamer’s paradise,” I was greatly disappointed. As others here have pointed out, it turned into a karma-champ train akin to the old days of Orr or the current Frostgorge.

For a roamer or small group, its extremely difficult to achieve any meaningful impact on the map. With fully upgraded doors and tower champs with dungeon-like abilities, these small groups cannot reliably take objectives as easily as the zerg can – who just burn down champs in a matter of seconds.

EotM included new ways to kill your opponents, such as throwing them off the edge or collapsing the bridges under their feet. Unfortunately, breaking bridges is frowned upon by your own team because it “slows down the karma farm.”

Ultimately, EotM failed to deliver as an engaging map for folks looking for a fast-paced WvW experience while waiting for queues or otherwise. Unless you’re a roamer who enjoys killing veteran points or a zergling bursting down champions in a rotation, EotM will not satisfy.

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Iluth.6875

Iluth.6875

In my opinion it’s a new type of map intended for third place servers to fill up. Yknow those guys who are getting stomped so badly that they can’t even gain a foothold onto their map.

That’s me being charitable anyway. Another part of me suspects because of the high rewards, that players are being encouraged into “megaserver” (miniserver?) style WvW because Anet knows that eventually the game population will drop to the point where normal WvW isn’t supported, and so a new model of WvW “needs” to be introduced. Heck we’re already there with some servers that are unable to play WvW in a normal way due to population issues.

I expect more of these linear style maps with huge rewards to be introduced to the game over the coming years, although I hope this is not the case.

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

yeah, the karma/badges rewards in EOTM are pretty ridiculous for almost no effort. I’m not convinced EOTM was ever a good idea – it’s rare to have all 4 WVW maps fully queued these days, even in T1.

I feel like EOTM was yet another poorly thought through waste of resources, just like e.g. custom arenas (that aren’t customisable), tournament tickets, environment weapons, amongst others.

But I like environment weapons :\

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

EotM in my opinion is there for PVEers to work on the WvW achievements with less PVP. It’s also a really solid way to level alts.
-Shrug-
I enjoy it.

I hate EoTM on a uplevel. Can’t tag anything before the glass cannon Zerg smashes it. And without traits many classes are slower than 80s as well.

EoTM for an uplevel is all running in circles and standing in circles.

in WvW

Posted by: Iluth.6875

Iluth.6875

Guilt tripping me isn’t going to work. Farming PvE players and trolling karma trains is so laughably easy and then I drink all your tears to rehydrate.

If guilting you doesn’t work, you should be ashamed that you find enjoyment from something so easy. Easy is boring.

in WvW

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

I had optimism for EotM, some of the basic ideas for it were really good (such as pooling the servers by colors). In the end its still a colossal failure though. Devon should step down and someone else at Anet should take charge of WvW development.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

If the majority of players in EotM wish to cooperate with each other and choo choo around the map, then it’s a good thing. Beyond learning the benefits of cooperation, they are engaged in the game. Which is always good for Anet’s bottom line.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

You guys do realize those karma train farmers were previously in everyone’s borderlands going in circles disrupting real wvw right? Now they have their own map where they’ll be able farm without disrupting the rest of wvw.

EoTM is basically WvW Hotjoin, it a much more relaxed environment with random ideas from Anet without the pressures of real wvw.

Retired Leader of TTS

in WvW

Posted by: neonreaper.4805

neonreaper.4805

I use it to level up my alts. The rewards are pretty big and you don’t have to do any thinking. I’ve already 100% the PVE world and they haven’t really updated dynamic events since Flame and Frost ended, so this seems faster and somehow less repetitive.

I think this map would greatly benefit from having all doors and siege removed from it, aside from the keeps.

[BE] Pumpkin / Rhinox3 / Reyn Time / Pale
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

It looks like it is anet’s answer to the PvPvE found in games like AION. See it not as WvW but as a risky PvE farming area and it starts to make sense.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

The players won’t defend because there are few rewards for doing it, and the rewards for PVD are too high.

Rather than asking us what we wanted in the Collaborative Development thread, I think Arenanet should have laid out what their original vision for WvW was, whether we agreed that it was best to pursue that vision and if so, what we thought would be the best way to achieve this.

Instead, we still don’t appear (from the WvW community perspective) have;
a) A solid vision
b) Any route to achieving said vision

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

in WvW

EmoDevo.3209

Guilt tripping me isn’t going to work. Farming PvE players and trolling karma trains is so laughably easy and then I drink all your tears to rehydrate.

If guilting you doesn’t work, you should be ashamed that you find enjoyment from something so easy. Easy is boring.

As opposed to the EotM karma train working so hard against doors and NPCs for their rewards, right? Oh yes, I’m so ashamed for killing them. LOL.

in WvW

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

Remove champ bags, from wvw/eotm, and increase a bit rewards for killing players should show the way to go – fight ppl, not champs. If you want champs why not go run in Frostgorge or whatever other map. Had my arguments already with ppl training in eotm, according to them it’s a map where they run circles to lvl up chars and so on… In a pvp type of map, ha ha ha So good that there are other groups or guilds that actually chase them and farm them, maybe then 1 from 20 of these zerglings will see what is real purpose and go that way. Not that blobbing other players is any good, but better than blobbing npc’s to get that stupid champ bag and karma. If commander doesn’t shout stuff like “wait on top of stairs, don’t go to lord room, enemy incoming” then most of the time all puggies go 11111 that champ and stand in circle unaware that their comander and zerg just got wiped, and all that awaits them is death in a few sec