Where went WvW Guilds?

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: zeight.5260

zeight.5260

Hi,

It has been a while since I did not play GW2 (more than 2 years) and my main focus back then was always WvW. I have been a big fan of WvW guild videos and since I did restart playing I couldn’t see any of those guilds that were around back then. In fact I could barely see any guilds at all (I am playing on a EU server, Seafarer’s Rest, and what we used to call the “raid time” seems completely empty of guilds).

I was wondering, where went all those guilds? I’m thinking of guilds like Iron, RG, VoTF, Vii, Team Aggression, War Legend, GD, Mya etc.?

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

They along with most actual WvW players left the game, that is what happens when you largely neglect a game mode for 3 years, and the funny thing is even with the new attention WvW is receiving and these WvW polls, they haven’t actually done anything about the real problems with the game mode.

Then when that is topped of with the reality that the HoT powercreep (combined with powercreep from the change to 3 full traitlines) has made the combat in this game the most tedious, low skilled kitten it has ever been, then given the combat was the big selling point for a lot of WvW (& PvP) players, you have even more players leaving.

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

They along with most actual WvW players left the game, that is what happens when you largely neglect a game mode for 3 years, and the funny thing is even with the new attention WvW is receiving and these WvW polls, they haven’t actually done anything about the real problems with the game mode.

Then when that is topped of with the reality that the HoT powercreep (combined with powercreep from the change to 3 full traitlines) has made the combat in this game the most tedious, low skilled kitten it has ever been, then given the combat was the big selling point for a lot of WvW (& PvP) players, you have even more players leaving.

A lot of his statement is based on bias here, just so you’re aware.

A decent amount of those guilds fell apart because of egos and people going to play other games for awhile. A lot of the players came back already and have reformed under different names or just joined up with other guilds.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

A decent amount of those guilds fell apart because of egos and people going to play other games for awhile. A lot of the players came back already and have reformed under different names or just joined up with other guilds.

Yes, but it’s a fact that the real issues and problems with WvW are still unaddressed and the game mode is seriously broken…. Playable but very broken.

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

The irony is strong with this one.

Guilds used to fall apart and reform as something else, sometimes comically after losing a big GvG match, now the game simply lacks guilds full stop, GvG is dead and there are times where now in primetime you have fewer guilds between 3 servers (or even 6 servers with links) than you used to have in a primetime on one server, where many of what guilds are left raid with less than 20 people because that is all they can manage, because they struggle to recruit now.

And no a lot of players have not come back, most of the players the OP mentions no longer play the game, and even the ones that do mostly either barely play WvW or don’t play it at all.

As you have apparently missed it, world linking is just temporary server merges by another name, if a lot of players had come back then you wouldn’t need server merging and linked servers would be unplayable most of the day due to queues, but guess what…

(edited by zinkz.7045)

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Hi,

It has been a while since I did not play GW2 (more than 2 years) and my main focus back then was always WvW. I have been a big fan of WvW guild videos and since I did restart playing I couldn’t see any of those guilds that were around back then. In fact I could barely see any guilds at all (I am playing on a EU server, Seafarer’s Rest, and what we used to call the “raid time” seems completely empty of guilds).

I was wondering, where went all those guilds? I’m thinking of guilds like Iron, RG, VoTF, Vii, Team Aggression, War Legend, GD, Mya etc.?

• A poorly thought out stability change hit fight groups a blow and the that population never recovered. Ridiculous change to make with a 5 man AoE cap and an (at the time) unadjusted rally system. Meta went ranged heavy and bored people right out of the game.
  • The traitline change. It is sold as “streamlining” when all it really did was help dumb down the combat by trait merging and making some of them baseline.
  • Anet prioritized light PvE play (even inside WvWvW) to an almost comical degree and it threw the player type balance out of whack. Less quality fights for organized groups. Why bother theory craft, gear up or even log in? It made transferring around almost a necessity and even then, for many, it stopped being worth it.
  • For all of its potential, WvWvW was clearly going nowhere and devs were out of touch
  • The neglect put PPT and fight groups at odds with each other even more. PPTers wanted the map spots or at the very least, some help since stale/lopsided matches were driving away the casual players. And fights people resented the omni blob, sup AC peppered wasteland WvWvW was quickly becoming.
  • Other seemingly fun games came out
  • HoT launched and amplified ALL of the above and then some.

There are enough bad moves Anet has made concerning WvWvW that could fill a novel. And there may be some Frankenstein guilds with some of those players around but the guild diversity in WvWvW is gone. The game is aging so that window is closed and Anet practically chased them away.

Whispers with meat.

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

Also the overall skill level dropped dramatically so most mobs you encounter are literally just walking bags…. on rare occasions you might run into a group with some level of skill but not that often… that was on Mag a few months ago, but I am pretty sure nothing has changed for the better, more likely more bags and less skillz

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Hi,

• A poorly thought out stability change hit fight groups a blow and the that population never recovered. Ridiculous change to make with a 5 man AoE cap and an (at the time) unadjusted rally system. Meta went ranged heavy and bored people right out of the game.
  • The traitline change. It is sold as “streamlining” when all it really did was help dumb down the combat by trait merging and making some of them baseline.
  • Anet prioritized light PvE play (even inside WvWvW) to an almost comical degree and it threw the player type balance out of whack. Less quality fights for organized groups. Why bother theory craft, gear up or even log in? It made transferring around almost a necessity and even then, for many, it stopped being worth it.
  • For all of its potential, WvWvW was clearly going nowhere and devs were out of touch
  • The neglect put PPT and fight groups at odds with each other even more. PPTers wanted the map spots or at the very least, some help since stale/lopsided matches were driving away the casual players. And fights people resented the omni blob, sup AC peppered wasteland WvWvW was quickly becoming.
  • Other seemingly fun games came out
  • HoT launched and amplified ALL of the above and then some.

There are enough bad moves Anet has made concerning WvWvW that could fill a novel. And there may be some Frankenstein guilds with some of those players around but the guild diversity in WvWvW is gone. The game is aging so that window is closed and Anet practically chased them away.

Genny is dead on with great bullet points. HoT didn’t have the results as hoped, neglect to the wvw crowd for years after MASSIVE amounts of feedback from players, pve gets the golden spoon treatment while wvw is forgotten, etc etc etc.

You won’t see the great feared guilds anymore, just broken up guilds with little talent left. Very few roamers and if you see them its the same build per class with little diversity.

Game is a mess.

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Xiisty.2974

Xiisty.2974

Ragnar wrote a really accurate timeline that explains a bit the fact that most guilds (in particular GvG guilds) disappeared.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Timeline-Situation-Explained/first#post6082653

[TA] Team Aggression

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

There’s also the new mechanics HoT brought to the table…. (besides powercreep)

WvW guilds need to PvE to rebuild guild to full potential so raids in WvW were put on hold then when guild builds and classes came into management it was just too hard to organise as people need to grind elites out to get the right traits for 1 of thier classes and then somehow acquire the right gear by again going through PvE grinds…

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

My entire guild is absent now and was on the decline since they introduced the pirate ship meta and culminated when they had the golem week fiasco. I myself took an extended break (4ish months) and the only reason I came back was to try the new tracks and systems. As many of the previous posters have said in is mostly a case of far to little, far far to late. I will miss many of the players I had fun with, but it seems looking at the roster many have not even logged in for a very long time.

I do still see the occasional familiar face (character), but I fear the good old times are behind us now with new games coming out that can better scratch the itch. Pity though if they had done the current changes sooner and taken us more seriously, I feel, many of us would not have left in the first place.

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Tiawal.2351

Tiawal.2351

Concisely: competitiveness was let to die & even “killed”.

The game mode gradually devolved into something casual & pointless activity: take empty objectives for a PPT, that affects nothing:
1. there are no player or guild rankings, nothing to win or lose
2. realms means nothing, transfers and multiple accounts eroded and slowly wiped away any community identity: fighting for your world is no longer a thing, it’s a team based game with… no teams you can belong
3. glicko and the way was used, in the above context, made it impossible for worlds to compete
4. the fight system was diluted and made unimportant by siege vs. players, where unskilled players could just use a high damage AOE from safety – this was even buffed, and more such things added: airships, chilling fog, other PvE tricks & traps – instead of rewarding the PvP skills, both small scale and large, encouraging the players to become better – what was done is quite the opposite: no skills are required to “play” WvW
5. huge class skill imbalances introduced and not fixed for months or years: stealth, stability, confusion, passive traits
6. requirement to leave the WvW game mode, to go into PvE – for gear, skills, traits, gold, and so on

Could go on, but there’s no point. WvW is done, unless there will be at least a reason to compete, where skill and contribution matters, and there will be something worth fighting for.

A wandering ronin, employed by [ENMA]

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

Ragnar wrote a really accurate timeline that explains a bit the fact that most guilds (in particular GvG guilds) disappeared.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Timeline-Situation-Explained/first#post6082653

Post needs updating to include the server merger test.

Where the entire bronze league servers have been paired up with other servers based on their activity/population.

This has also caused some people to move to lower servers, eg Ruins of Surmia, as it’s a lot cheaper than joining Desolation directly.
Anet have made it a lot more easier and cheaper to bandwagon on the top tier servers with this.

But as said in that post, even with Anet having all these polls, they still have not done anything to fix WvW! They are still hoping to do the bare minimum for WvW in the hopes people yet again think there is something big coming, when there is not!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Post needs updating to include the server merger test.

Where the entire bronze league servers have been paired up with other servers based on their activity/population.

This has also caused some people to move to lower servers, eg Ruins of Surmia, as it’s a lot cheaper than joining Desolation directly.
Anet have made it a lot more easier and cheaper to bandwagon on the top tier servers with this.

But as said in that post, even with Anet having all these polls, they still have not done anything to fix WvW! They are still hoping to do the bare minimum for WvW in the hopes people yet again think there is something big coming, when there is not!

The polls are pointless, another smoke and mirror tactic by anet. I just lost all trust in them as a paying customer and haven’t bought gems in months. I really love this game but the state of the game is a mess.

They need a hail mary at this point.

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

Dear josh you are totally wrong. You have no idea how many wvw players have left the game. If you are a wvw player look at your friendlist. You’ ll see how many wvw players don’ t log in anymore.
And remember when a game starts merging servers..there is only one reason for that : ^^^^^Population decrease^^^.

Regards

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Seafarers rest just got on a bad spot when they got stripped from rank 1 by doubleteaming, the wvw died and guilds died in SFR after their PPT and EotM crews got kitten d.

Competitive guild scene is dead though, it died like 6 months before HoT because the staleness of the game mode, after TA had no opposition, lot of guilds like GH, TA etc stopped raiding completely. Theres a few guilds remaining like Ash (on deso), TNG (riverside), rXd(riverside), DayZ(kodash) fighting for nr1 guild spot but dont think any of them will last very long unless some of the old guild leaders come back and reform guilds.

Even if they come back, the game has changed completely and they have to spend a day to get new armor(and lot of people will suggest wrong armor stats, like NA meta is marauder armor on guardian while some guilds on EU run Crusader or wanderer or soldier, if someone advices you wrong, it’s just meh.), another for sigils, 3rd for foods, 4th for dura runes and a few months to get to know the new Specializations. Those few months of getting rekt and regearing your characters makes a lot of them quit the game again :p

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

I enjoy the NA meta right now. That being said, most fight guilds have moved on to other games and the remaining players merged with what guilds are left. GvG became stale for top tier guilds and zerg-busting no longer is a possibility since the stability changes. They made siege stronger. Basically anet tried to make wvw the main focus instead of fights, which ultimately made wvw boring for fight guilds. T3 NA has maybe 3 guilds that are “GvG” ready none of which actually gvg each other.

Bad Elementalist

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: gitflap.9031

gitflap.9031

Yep, far fewer guilds raiding on borderlands these days. Mostly just pugblob and roamers now. Shame.

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Large WvW guilds were slowly eroding after years of few fundamental changes but the stab nerf basically ran most of the remaining ones out of WvW.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Where went WvW Guilds?

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Here’s what happened.

1. Anet Ignored WvW for 3 years causing slow, steady population decline.
  2. They hoped that HoT would solve the population problem as people would surely come back when expansion released.
  3. Expansion sold poorly, DBL was unmitigated disaster.
  4. Roughly 70% of players quit WvW in the week after DBL. White knights will say only Anet has the numbers, but the maps were literally empty and servers all fell from full.
  5. Anet did nothing about this for 6 months.
  6. Now they seem to be a bit interested, but it’s still mostly talk and way too little way too late:
  7. Server merges (“linking”) tells us population has not returned, and never will.