Which server to join for massive WvW fights ?

in WvW

Posted by: Haziq.3907

Haziq.3907

I came back to GW2 after quitting ~4 years ago, starting out in the Sea of Sorrows and after several transfers, ended up in the Sanctum of Rall before quitting.

Since I enjoy WvW – especially the massive clashes – I was hoping the regulars here could tell me which server is doing well in WvW. I don’t think I’ll be able to join Blackgate or Jade Quarry since they are at full capacity and I’m not sure if I should wait it out for a couple more days or just join a potential T1 contender.

I don’t need to be in the winning server. I just wanna take part in epic clashes, which would mean that the server should not be heavily outnumbered against Blackgate or Jade Quarry

Looking at http://mos.millenium.org/servers/history/29 , I still can’t tell which server would be able to hold its own against BG / JQ due to linked worlds. Are the groupings permanent ? If not then I think I’d like to look for a server that is not paired up with another so that the WvW players and guilds would be ‘more coordinated’ for lack of a better word.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Maguuma.

/15 charrs

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: CrimeMaker.8612

CrimeMaker.8612

Maguuma.

/15 charrs

Chaba why you do dis

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Maguuma.

/15 charrs

Chaba why you do dis

The guy is looking for “epic clashes” so he wants the 40-50 man range fights, no?

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Ruru.1302

Ruru.1302

don’t go to maguuma

mag
[Mada] Apocryfia

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Magumma is only good for fights if you like spawn camping…which didn’t work out as well for them earlier today but they are known far and wide for it. There are some commanders in both SF and FA that like to find open field clashed like this (not so much 40 v 40 but still good size clashes at times)

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Just pile on BG. Everyone left playing will end up there. Then, they’ll all complain that they’re bored with their opponents not showing up.

SBI

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Just pile on BG. Everyone left playing will end up there. Then, they’ll all complain that they’re bored with their opponents not showing up.

as a T2/3 server myself, I enjoyed going up vs them a few weeksish back. After I saw their roaming and small scale game, their strong suit is def their blobbing game. Small Scale/Roaming not so much

Was still fun however.

in WvW

Posted by: Haziq.3907

Haziq.3907

Based on https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World
“Before the July 28, 2015 update, a world population was determined by the population levels from across all game modes. Currently, only the WvW population determines the world population.”

and the fact that Maguuma is not paired up with any other server would seem that they have high WvW participation rates. I think I will create my character here since it is not certain if anyone will eventually leave either JQ or BG.

How frequent are server transfer these days since it is no longer free?

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Based on https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World
“Before the July 28, 2015 update, a world population was determined by the population levels from across all game modes. Currently, only the WvW population determines the world population.”

and the fact that Maguuma is not paired up with any other server would seem that they have high WvW participation rates. I think I will create my character here since it is not certain if anyone will eventually leave either JQ or BG.

How frequent are server transfer these days since it is no longer free?

Hard to determine the frequency of server transfers as it all depends on many factors such as the guild you are in…could swap servers for WVW so many may join. Server Alliances may fall and many may bail to other servers (from what I found out yesterday, Magumma had an alliance recently fall on its face so I assume some jumped off of Mag)

Personally, servers like BG/JQ/Mag were “Bandwagon” servers that when pirate ships were a thing (well…a bigger thing), a lot of ppl joined those servers as they were not about the quality of the fights/zergs but the quantity within them. Some servers even pay for guilds to join them which throws off server balance (not going to mention which, but a lot of ppl already know)

Finding a server that fits you depends on a couple things:

1.) Server Tier…if you want to be in a blob/zerg and focus on that and be just a number for the most part, then T1/2 is better (Quantity), If you want more small scale/roaming/smaller zerg fights where you matter more, then T3/4 (Quality). By tier I mainly mean the tier the server usually is placed in (as some will go to 2/3 and bounce, balancing quality and quantity)

2.) Coverage: What time(s) will you be on mainly? Some servers have diff prime times than others. This will affect both the quality and quantity of your runs/groups.

3.) Commanders: Keep your eyes peeled for what the servers you are up against have for strategies. There are some that will reflect great commanders (Portal Bombs, where they place seige, how they utilize golems/traps…etc) are typically better for most as this is typically more rewarding to a players/groups/commanders skill whereas blobbing/spawn camping/running zergs of mostly epi necros are easy kills that are rewarding for the reward tracks and loot, but are less rewarding to skill based on the fact there is a lot less skill involved.

4.) The People: You will come across some toxic people/guilds/servers that do nothing but throw siege on your corpse, or whisper salt/dance/laugh at your dead body even tho you have done nothing to provoke this toxicity, typically stay away from those. On the flip side you may come across a player or group and you have awesome fights, maybe GG whispers or meet some new friends that want to just duel ya and have fun, thats what you want to lean towards. Whatever you find fun, look for people/guilds/servers that share that ideology.

TL;DR – Do your homework

in WvW

Posted by: drunkrussian.4079

drunkrussian.4079

It very much depends on what time you wanna fight in. During NA you can join YB, FA, TC, or even NSP for good fights. EU is more of the populated servers like BG or GQ. I personally play on NA and love my server because of the guild I’m in. Find a nice guild to join then move to their server

-MagPro
Yaks Bend (born and proud)

in WvW

Posted by: Serkit.7836

Serkit.7836

I recommend FA

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

I recommend you save your wallet and play on whichever server you’re currently on.
Between the changing server pairings and the wild glicko rolls its not really worth moving around.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I came back to GW2 after quitting ~4 years ago, starting out in the Sea of Sorrows and after several transfers, ended up in the Sanctum of Rall before quitting.

Since I enjoy WvW – especially the massive clashes – I was hoping the regulars here could tell me which server is doing well in WvW. I don’t think I’ll be able to join Blackgate or Jade Quarry since they are at full capacity and I’m not sure if I should wait it out for a couple more days or just join a potential T1 contender.

I don’t need to be in the winning server. I just wanna take part in epic clashes, which would mean that the server should not be heavily outnumbered against Blackgate or Jade Quarry

Looking at http://mos.millenium.org/servers/history/29 , I still can’t tell which server would be able to hold its own against BG / JQ due to linked worlds. Are the groupings permanent ? If not then I think I’d like to look for a server that is not paired up with another so that the WvW players and guilds would be ‘more coordinated’ for lack of a better word.

Hi

Things have changed massively and you have a lot of very wrong ideas based on how it used to be, but isn’t.

So 1st off, there’s no such thing anymore as a “t1 contender”. there is BG, in its own special tier above all else, most of the time hybernating, is anything or anyone comes close to knocking it down, it partially wakes up (not even comes out of hybernation, just partially) and quickly makes mince meat of whatever or whoever it was via both megablobs and amassing enough PPT to sit back up on the throne for a long time (due to how glicko works).

There is T2, which somewhat varies due to links, this variance is actually nice as it keeps things from getting completely stale. In T2, there are lots of different servers. Its somewhat volatile because of links and bandwagoning. Whenever any of the above mentioned servers / links get knocked down by BG, they somewhat implode and people leave them, for whichever is the current bandwagon target on the given month. Then that server in turn implodes as it goes higher, etc. etc. It is a repeating cycle.

To get any big battles, your best bet is to go to any of the T2 servers except mag cause not much competition left for mag these days hence you won’t get what you’re looking for unless you consider popping on a high mobility toon/build to help cover all spawn exits and spawn camping, such a big battle that you would enjoy. Also, when mag gets kicked up to go against BG, it automatically auto tanks these days, goes to ETOM, PVE, takes breaks, etc. etc. pretty much until its back in T3 or so and then repeats the cycle.

So, just see what your optimal timezone is, which one of the T2 servers has most and friendliest commanders available in that timezone (other then mag), and hop on. That simple.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF