Who is your representative?

in WvW

Posted by: Atros.9607

Atros.9607

With the changes in WvW lately and the way that servers have been shuffled around lately, I got curious: Who on your server is an ANet dev?

I see Arena Net claiming objectives for servers and that raised a question for me. Does each server have an ANet developer on it, or is a select group transferring to and from servers to see the community on each.

From my experience as TC and Dragonbrand, I have not met a single ANet dev (one that was representing ANet) out in open WvW that was on my server. I have faced plenty of devs and gotten the hidden Achievement for killing a dev in PvP/WvW, but I have not openly met one in open WvW.

So I got to thinking, is each server represented by a dev or do certain devs have specific servers to watch and play for?

[ShW] Shrouded Warband § Gold Invader § Fort Aspenwood
My pugs are not lemmings, they just fell off that cliff because I did

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

pretty sure its whatever they individually feel like.

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

anet can freely transfer any sever they want an play WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Namer.9750

Namer.9750

If you see an ANet dev on your server, its because they’re normal people who play the game too when they’re not working. ANet devs don’t take sides in WvW in any official manner, they just have ingame toons, sometimes they go to WvW, sometimes they claim stuff. That’s why you’ll only see them in NA primetime, rarely on EU primetime even in EU servers, or OCX/SEA times. They’re employees at ANet who go home after a long day of work and open up GW2 to chill and some of them play WvW.

It’s all a matter of your servers. For instance, I know there’s one guy who plays on SoS pretty regularly. He’s the one who claimed Air Keep for SoS today, I believe.

There’re no representatives. No select groups. Just individuals playing a game and using the ArenaNet guild in the same way as any other guild.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Also guessing that it is only the “Moderator” accounts that can move servers at will. Their personal accounts most likely can’t. Well, unless they bribe the boss with chocolate and whiskey ?

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Earlywood.7438

Earlywood.7438

I personally think its in bad taste for Anet to claim things in wvw, or even tag up for that matter. I think that more veteran players understand they are playing like everyone else and being fair, but I also know a lot of people that feel the exact opposite and believe the other servers are getting help from the developers.

Don’t get me wrong, its good to see them playing their own game. However, unless you see them on all servers, it gives a bad impression and doesn’t look like they are promoting a fair atmosphere in WvW. While we all have our own opinions about what fair is, I would find in hard to believe in WvW’s current state that Anet claiming objectives is bringing in more players then its pushing away.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

I personally think its in bad taste for Anet to claim things in wvw, or even tag up for that matter. I think that more veteran players understand they are playing like everyone else and being fair, but I also know a lot of people that feel the exact opposite and believe the other servers are getting help from the developers.

Don’t get me wrong, its good to see them playing their own game. However, unless you see them on all servers, it gives a bad impression and doesn’t look like they are promoting a fair atmosphere in WvW. While we all have our own opinions about what fair is, I would find in hard to believe in WvW’s current state that Anet claiming objectives is bringing in more players then its pushing away.

It should be company policy that Anet tag not appear in matches on winning sides of blowout matches.

If Anet tag was on losing sides of blowout matches then they could see firsthand the problems with WvW. Why players are leaving and why it’s difficult to get new players into WvW.

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

Remember that the ANet guild is (iirc) available too everyone that works at ANet. Be they Engine Programmers, Desk Clercks, Janitors, or Sales Department, Artists, etc.

Most of those doesn’t have a thing to do with the actual game play itself, so lets say that the Janitor decides to tag up the ANet guild and claim a tower, and lay down a couple of cata’s, does that really matter ?

It isn’t like the ANet guild gives any advantages and powers, other than the fancy red “Target icon” visible to your enemies If anything I’d congratulate them for being brave enough to represent their ANet guild, because every time I’ve seen one in WvW the enemies comes in waves to gank them.

Don’t know for certain, but assuming that their admin/mod accounts are separate from the ANet-guild.

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

People complain they never see anet in wvw…then they see anet in wvw and freak the kitten out…seriously…..

What advantage are they giving to whatever side they happened to appear on?

Just because you see an anet tag doesn’t mean its a WvW dev bent on carrying out some devious mission to destroy you or your server…good lord man…

If there is one on your side, say hello and be friendly like a normal human being. If they are on the opponents side, then put up a good fight and say to your friends that its nice to see anet in wvw from time to time…

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: mewmewmyoo.7809

mewmewmyoo.7809

OP- there was supposedly an ANet person on either BG or TC this past reset (I’ve forgotten which, I’m pretty sure it was BG)- I heard about it in map chat.

People definitely did freak out about it. That said, the people who freak out about it are likely the very very vocal minority.

Cat Pun Here (Also: Another Cat Pun and Cat Pun Goes Here)
Makes cute Charrs- confirmed
Maguuma Server

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

I love when I see the 1 or 2 on YB playing on the same BL. I know who is being targeted first and it isn’t me. I give them a ton of credit for displaying the tag under that circumstance….

Funniest thing I recall is 2 massive zergs sending out 1 anet rep from each server to 1v1 before all mayhem broke out…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Yuffi.2430

Yuffi.2430

In an ideal world there would be at least one WvW dev on each server so they can understand the way the game works at all levels. In real life I seriously doubt the WvW team has enough members.

I would be really interested in a list of which servers Anet people play on though. I wouldn’t ask for names or details, they should be able to play just as anonymously as the rest of us, but don’t you wonder sometimes just which servers they actually play on…?

in WvW

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

Honestly have never seen one on FA. But maybe they run during the daytime?

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Honestly have never seen one on FA. But maybe they run during the daytime?

There’s a Devon who is a longtime Anet FA player. The one time I talked to him, he said he’s in QA. He played WvW casually and I haven’t seen him on too much anymore so he’s basically like all the other GW2 players in that way.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

If you see an ANet dev on your server, its because they’re normal people who play the game too when they’re not working. ANet devs don’t take sides in WvW in any official manner, they just have ingame toons, sometimes they go to WvW, sometimes they claim stuff. That’s why you’ll only see them in NA primetime, rarely on EU primetime even in EU servers, or OCX/SEA times. They’re employees at ANet who go home after a long day of work and open up GW2 to chill and some of them play WvW.

It’s all a matter of your servers. For instance, I know there’s one guy who plays on SoS pretty regularly. He’s the one who claimed Air Keep for SoS today, I believe.

There’re no representatives. No select groups. Just individuals playing a game and using the ArenaNet guild in the same way as any other guild.

You got that exactly right. A lot of us play on our own time, and we have no special “dev secret skillz” to help a team in any capacity.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I’d like to see the ArenaNet guild get together and do a GvG.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

You got that exactly right. A lot of us play on our own time, and we have no special “dev secret skillz” to help a team in any capacity.

A wild ninja dev apears… i ment Ranger >:}

And Anet devs have special skills, its called “play squishy and gank targets”

Pitty that some players didnt liked when devs conquered a few towers.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

As someone who plays a dual-bow Ranger, I never critize someone else’s build. That way lead me down the path of embarrassment and humiliation.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

As someone who plays a dual-bow Ranger, I never critize someone else’s build. That way lead me down the path of embarrassment and humiliation.

Deppends if its pvp, its needed to criticize others and self build.

in WvW

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

The advice I get is “Don’t play dual bow.” That’s not going to work for me. So yeah, critiques and improvement are important, but for me, there’s a limit!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

The advice I get is “Don’t play dual bow.” That’s not going to work for me. So yeah, critiques and improvement are important, but for me, there’s a limit!

Understandable :\ been using mace shield in my DH, not using traps and not using bow as well.

Actually using mace shield combo for 4 years.

And @OP NSP used to have few devs as well.

in WvW

Posted by: blackgamma.1809

blackgamma.1809

dual bow? dual bow, Dual.. bow? two bow?

the more i think about your super secret strat the more i wanna try it

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

I use lb and sb with ranger. Love it. Full marauders lots of damage.

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

1. I’ve seen ANet devs on TC and every world we’ve played against.
  2. If we want ANet devs to play WvW so they have the same experiences we do (and understand our trials and tribulations), we must encourage them to do the same things we do: run cheeze builds, “night cap”, run havoc and let loose the Zogs of [WvW], and yes, claim and defend objectives.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in WvW

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Understandable :\ been using mace shield in my DH, not using traps and not using bow as well.

I am NSP. Have been since the beginning. I bounce around a lot, but that’s “home.”

I can’t say I highly recommend it, but I absolutely love it. It suits me enormously. And in my defense, I’m not a “Mash 1” player. I have a full range of skills and I know how to use them. Even if they may be a little weak from time to time.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

@Gaile Gray i know

Frosty, Wub were also in NSP, and ive seen in the past(WvW) some dev using a very skinny/small charr, as well very squiiiishy elementalist, some one told me was Devon, i got him up about the max rezes possible before he got ported to spawn.

One thing that we players cant complain is Anet presence at WvW.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Taobella.6597

I am NSP. Have been since the beginning. I bounce around a lot, but that’s “home.”

I can’t say I highly recommend it, but I absolutely love it. It suits me enormously. And in my defense, I’m not a “Mash 1” player. I have a full range of skills and I know how to use them. Even if they may be a little weak from time to time.

i played double short bow on thief for months Double bow hype !

in WvW

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

Perhaps you could regale us with a discourse, or even offer lessons, on the ways of the dual-bow. As a single-bow user, I feel I have much to learn.

My ranger runs around with a short bow, a sword, and an axe. I only wield the last two if I press a button by mistake, which then causes me to run around for 10 seconds not knowing what to do (seriously, I have a bow that shoots tigers; why would I ever use a sword?). But having a second bow in case my finger slips? That’s intriguing.

G R E E N E R

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

There’s a few on SBI, but most of them (e.g. Izzy) don’t play WvW any more. Mike Z pops in from time to time.

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

Just so you know… playing two bows of the same type doesn’t get you anything since the cooldown is there whether or not you switch.

Using Longbow and Shortbow on the other hand with Ranger/Druid is a lot of fun (for me anyway). People say damage is not useful anymore but they’re not right there. With this combo I have two super useful weapons and they are able to do some very nice power-downs. More often than not I have people running away from me instead of standing and fighting… and with 1500 range… that’s not a smart thing to do…

in WvW

Posted by: Ni In.6578

Ni In.6578

How many Sup ACs can you man at once?

WvW Rank – keeps going up
Server: Crystal Desert (so toxic!) | “Make CD DVD Again”
Guilds: [VII] – They let me claim stuff

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think FA lost its devs but i was thinking who reprs fa i say chab atm but they are just a player not a dev.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Fatherbliss.4701

Fatherbliss.4701

Anet employees are definitely among us. Like those gorillas in the mist. Midst? Yes. I remember on TC a few years ago (closer to 3 I imagine) it was much more common to see Anet tags out running around. I still find that happens during bigger events.

In reality though a lot of Anet folks (not necessarily devs) play the game. You just don’t know.

Leader of Goats of Thunder [GOAT]
Tarnished Coast: Bringing the Butter to you (no pants allowed)

in WvW

Posted by: Auburn.2456

Auburn.2456

So did Anet guild member have to lvl up their guild? I really don’t think they did. So yes they are given an unfair advanage.

in WvW

Taobella.6597

Just so you know… playing two bows of the same type doesn’t get you anything since the cooldown is there whether or not you switch.

Using Longbow and Shortbow on the other hand with Ranger/Druid is a lot of fun (for me anyway). People say damage is not useful anymore but they’re not right there. With this combo I have two super useful weapons and they are able to do some very nice power-downs. More often than not I have people running away from me instead of standing and fighting… and with 1500 range… that’s not a smart thing to do…

it more so i just to lazy to buy pair of daggers XD

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

Previous

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

Next

Like Gaile mentioned, devs play on a lot of different worlds and move around frequently and that includes the WvW team. However, the WvW team also plays together on a different random world once a week.

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

Like Gaile mentioned, devs play on a lot of different worlds and move around frequently and that includes the WvW team. However, the WvW team also plays together on a different random world once a week.

Thank you, love hearing that.

in WvW

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

So did Anet guild member have to lvl up their guild? I really don’t think they did. So yes they are given an unfair advanage.

You “really don’t think they did”, huh? Well, MYTH CONFIRMED! I mean, there is no possible way you might be, y’know, wrong about that.

PS: over here in the fact-based community, you can find various discussions from various folks who work on MMOs that will tell you that (a) internal testing environments are not much different to the PTR, and are where they do things like “insta-max-level guilds”, and (b) they play the public stuff regularly, without cheating, because that is how you understand the game better.

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

You “really don’t think they did”, huh? Well, MYTH CONFIRMED! I mean, there is no possible way you might be, y’know, wrong about that.

PS: over here in the fact-based community, you can find various discussions from various folks who work on MMOs that will tell you that (a) internal testing environments are not much different to the PTR, and are where they do things like “insta-max-level guilds”, and (b) they play the public stuff regularly, without cheating, because that is how you understand the game better.

I have to wonder how you can understand the game better by automaxing a guild hall. For those of us that did the nasty grind day after day to get it maxed out this doesn’t make sense. No way anyone can understand without going through that. I hope that they would have done that at least once.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

Word on the borderlands from actual Anet devs is that they had to upgrade their guild hall the same way the rest of us did.

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

ah, glad to hear that

in WvW

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

OOH we are up against NSP. Time to spike some devs!!

in WvW

Taobella.6597

not like a single guild has impact on the game lol.

in WvW

Previous

Gaile Gray

Word on the borderlands from actual Anet devs is that they had to upgrade their guild hall the same way the rest of us did.

And that word is correct. We did not start out with a mighty guild hall. We upgrade over time. So let’s put that rumour to bed, shall we, since it’s not true?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

More importantly, is it that tacky gold guild hall or the chill nature one?

in WvW

Posted by: Thea Cherry.6327

Thea Cherry.6327

Kodasch has no ANet Dev, i don’t think any german server has one.

Last time i saw a dev was i dunno 2 years ago? During a tournament, i think his name was cody but iam not sure.

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Strange that I haven’t seen you in WvW on NSP. I haven’t seen an Anet Tag or claim on NSP in many, many months. Do any devs that may play on NSP attempt to be a part of the server “community”? TS and such?

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in WvW

Taobella.6597

dev do not have to run with there anet tag on. dev we run with on yak we always ask them to put on there tag just to make other sever salty LOL

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

dev do not have to run with there anet tag on. dev we run with on yak we always ask them to put on there tag just to make other sever salty LOL

That is a thing that i nerver understood… even when they claymed stuff on the 2 servers i was fighthing some players wich actually were from the other servers got mad at each other behavior of Anet..

I would love to see more structure claimed by Anet, and preferable if they stay defending them :}.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

I have to wonder how you can understand the game better by automaxing a guild hall. For those of us that did the nasty grind day after day to get it maxed out this doesn’t make sense. No way anyone can understand without going through that. I hope that they would have done that at least once.

I’m not quite sure how you failed to read, but … internal testing where you skip content is used to test things. Playing normally like everyone else is used to better understand the game.

eg: they leveled their kitten guild hall just like you did, you kitten.[/quote]

Not sure what the purpose of your hostility but perhaps a friendlier approach would have been appropriate?