Why 300 range on guard Staff 1 now?

in WvW

Posted by: StrawHat.2639

StrawHat.2639

Isn’t guard staff a midrange weapon so the 600 range was already right in the middle of 0-1200 well 0-1500 now.
Does almost no damage anyways.

I’ve been testing the diff. between 300 to 600 and it shows…have to be right up to enemies to hit at that point.

Never heard anyone complain about the range of the guard staff except people referring it to the “lootstick”.

Longbow/Scepter (range over 900 ) doesn’t support a party as well as staff at all and for WvW melee squad pushing fights…staff over longbow/scepter for many guardians.

A lot of skills on swords, hammer, etc have more range then the staff 1 now.

A lot of us have always picked staff as secondary weapon because:
Since WvW lag seems to be rampant even in 30vs30 nowadays….when only the skill 1 on weapons actually pops…we rely on staff to get us true…thus reducing the staff range is a detrimental change.

There isn’t or was a need to reduce the range.

Be appreciated if we could go back to what it was thank you.
Chopper Pirate Doc

(p.s.: I saw the other WvW forum topic on guard staff but figured saying the question on the mind of all us staff guardian protectors of commanders to anet; gets us a positive response, view from anet staff.)

in WvW

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

Because ‘you can hit through walls and gates’. And we can still hit through walls and gates.

Darn poor excuse and whichever intern on the balance team who put this up for discussion needs a slap upside the back of the head with a married man’s ring finger.

Storagestick.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

(edited by Syktek.7912)

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Because ‘you can hit through walls and gates’.

Why is this an issue now? After 5 years. All aoes can hit through gaates anyway, why is it an issue for guardians?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Want to bet that the guardian elite probably been designed to work around this change, lol?

Anyway its yet another example of things that Anet goes berserk on, rather than just fine tune it. If the staff was considered OP in zergs (sort of was, sort of wasnt), then just nerf the damage and AoE heal on it by 20% or something, done deal.

in WvW

Posted by: Serenity.6135

Serenity.6135

Because they don’t want you running core guardian, and to buy the expac’s obviously.

in WvW

StrawHat.2639

Was gonna get the expac up until today’s update, but I play guard about 50% of my time in WvW as a support meat shield, between the war(roaming)/guard changes minor as it seems to many, to me mostly WvWing its…anyways.

The comment about hitting threw walls and gates been like that for many skills on many professions since WvW launched…never seen much complaints about staff 1 in WvW playing…

in WvW

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Meanwhile everyone completely ignores that every other skill on the stuff got a buff…

in WvW

Serenity.6135

Meanwhile everyone completely ignores that every other skill on the stuff got a buff…

What good is any weapon when the auto attack sucks?

in WvW

zealex.9410

What good is a control support weapon when you pick it only for the aa? You are going to be in their face anyways when you charge in and start aa, having even more healing and condi dmg reduction isnt half bad.

in WvW

Serenity.6135

What good is a control support weapon when you pick it only for the aa? You are going to be in their face anyways when you charge in and start aa, having even more healing and condi dmg reduction isnt half bad.

It was not used solely for the auto attack, that’s what people did in pve. In wvw guard staff actually had a purpose and was a real support weapon aside from the auto attack. Empower was great when traited with altruistic healing, orb of light for some healing, symbol of swiftness for light field/aoe damage/ and swiftness stacking, and line of warding for cc’s. The problem is the baffling nerf to the range, not the other changes.

in WvW

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

So it finally becomes a support weapon and not a loot stick.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in WvW

StrawHat.2639

WvW skill lag mate…can only spam skill 1 as I mentioned in big fights nowadays…whats the use of the buffs on the other skills if your reduced to only being able to use skill 1…ankitten ot even in T1 but in T4 and we get that often on evenings in ebg when the blobs come out to play.

The range distance was never an issue been playing guard since late 2013 ish.

Also when am in the enemies face you usually are on your melee rotation(greatsword/hammer in my case) not on staff unless your just running over the opposition.

The principal of the matter the new range makes it more a melee weapon when its more of a midline weapon for guard, all the skills 2-5 from staff are in situations where you have some distance to work with…range of them is mostly 1200 or 600 so yeah skill 1 should have stayed at 600.

And I never said I disliked in original post the add-ons for the other skills.

in WvW

zealex.9410

It was not used solely for the auto attack, that’s what people did in pve. In wvw guard staff actually had a purpose and was a real support weapon aside from the auto attack. Empower was great when traited with altruistic healing, orb of light for some healing, symbol of swiftness for light field/aoe damage/ and swiftness stacking, and line of warding for cc’s. The problem is the baffling nerf to the range, not the other changes.

They litterally buffed the reason you tell me here it was good and used for in wvw. And they toned down ots aa range while increasing the arc that it hits.

They made it a better support weapon. I cant see whats the issue here.

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Yup, this is probably the dumbest balance change ever.

The auto attack is the only real offence on the weapon. The orb does nothing and the symbol, well, it’s a symbol. It’s meant for large amounts of enemies as it’s the only auto attack that hits 5. This made up for the lackluster damage. On average, it equals the auto attack damage on hammer or sword. But that depends on it actually hitting 5 enemies. If it’s reduced to 300 range, then the odds of hitting 5 enemies is drastically reduced, and is now a rather useless weapon.

Seriously, totally dumb change. No one ever complained about this.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Serenity.6135

They litterally buffed the reason you tell me here it was good and used for in wvw. And they toned down ots aa range while increasing the arc that it hits.

Ruining the auto attack and buffing the other skills does not make a weapon better. Do you not understand this? I was trying to explain that staff is not simply a lootstick, it actually has a purpose in wvw. What is the point now when the auto attack is ruined? It makes the rest unimportant.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Ruining the auto attack and buffing the other skills does not make a weapon better. Do you not understand this? I was trying to explain that staff is not simply a lootstick, it actually has a purpose in wvw. What is the point now when the auto attack is ruined? It makes the rest unimportant.

/agree

staff to stay @ 300 range needs more stuff at auto atack(wich does not make sense either).. this is a skill killer for any mode, staff by itselff is already a bad weapon to use as main its a weapon to pull when ur not in direct or close contact to the targets, yet ANet managed to pull this “aflicted rabit” from their wizard hat.

“lets make an weapon that is only used to support at range to be almost a “meleerange” with no damage and does nothing else than low damage..its a stupid change or a typo error on dev’s notes that leaded to this that somehow manage to slip.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Caliburn.1845

Caliburn.1845

Staff isn’t used in PVE, nor in PVP, so this change was one of the few clearly aimed at WvW. The question is why? No one thinks it is too strong, hammer or GS are arguably better.

Of all the nerfs to make to weapons used heavily in WvW you pick guardian staff? I too would really like to know the reasoning behind the decision.

And no, the changes to light fields, and a bit of cooldown reduction on some of the other skills do not make up for it.

Caliburn.1845, Monsters Inc.
Darkhaven>Dragonbrand>Blackgate>Maguuma>Yaks Bend>Stormbluff Isle>Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

The skill was fine like it was. 600 isn’t to much for staff at all.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Sounds good to me. Never use staff anyways.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Poor zerglings.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

now u have more change to tag people while going trough the enemy zerg guys… arc increased to 110ยบ from 90…

its the other way arround… (correct me if im wrong)

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Poor zerglings.

Poor loot sticks.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

now guardians can feel how it is to be some other classes when trying to get hits on enemies in zert-to-zerg combat……

hopefully all zerg participants gets reduced to melee raneg effectiveness so it all can be fair and square again

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Positive change. It isn’t 2013. Move your guardian up on tag where you can more effectively provide support, mitigate AOE damage and screen the tag.

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

I’m 100% convinced that any bad change implemented by Anet, no matter how ridiculous (and this is ridiculous, they have made the weapon useless offensively when it was already bad offensively anyways) will be defended by a huge slew of forum posters, for no apart reason.

Most of the logic for the change is basically people saying “good” and “no loot stick for you”. I don’t see how any of that is helpful. Staff had only 2 uses for guardian, pve tagging weapon and frontline guardian zvz build. It now can’t tag or do any dps in those roles, making it useless.

If they want to make it 300 range then they need to at least put a combo on it like daredevil staff and revenant staff.

aka. “The Complainer”

(edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108)

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

They could nerf from 5 to 3 ppl targeting, but this is garbage change. Guardian is in a good spot remember, firebrand will be close enough – 3/4rdian new elite spec which will suck both in pvp and wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

I’ll try to care about this change after I get patch notes explaining why there is still a 1s ICD in stealth attacks.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It went though walls that where made to stop attks going though them. Not sure why more ppl did not use this trick but ppl did and it worked to counter siege and to keep ppl from hitting siege. Any way if you where using staff 1 you were doing nothing maybe its time you did something in a zerg other then get loot.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Fivona.5061

Fivona.5061

Another unhappy trash player want’s loot stick back for 1-1-1-1-1.

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

Jski.6180, still, change it has a “better wide arc loot stick” instead of providing some usefulness is the best change????

IMO i think that is the issue… if its a temp change its one thing, but the problem is that dont fix stuf they left incomplete, it only took 4 years to SW and still they didnt do a good job :\

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Jski.6180, still, change it as a better wide arc loot stick instead of providing some usefulness is the best change????

IMO i think that is the issue… if its a temp change its one thing, but the problem is that dont fix stuf they left incomplete, it only took 4 years to SW and still they didnt do a good job :\

I think that its an attk on an support aimed wepon so its going to be weak. And ppl who stay in such a wepon after using there support tools are not playing with the full gurd kit.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

Jski.6180, still, change it as a better wide arc loot stick instead of providing some usefulness is the best change????

I think that its an attk on an support aimed wepon so its going to be weak. And ppl who stay in such a wepon after using there support tools are not playing with the full gurd kit.

shouldn’t the AA on staff give a bit of support??
The problem is that i cant think of anything cause everything is already overboooned :\, and more boons spam would not increase the weapon gameplay quality.

in WvW

Posted by: angbl.2806

angbl.2806

If staff 1 skill went through walls the answer is not to limit the range of staff but to fix the code that makes walls transparent.

in WvW

Spurnshadow.3678

Amazing how many _ people there are here. Either that or you’re just trolling.

The staff’s auto attack IS it’s main dps. It doesn’t have any burst dps like the hammer or GS. It’s auto attack’s damage is much lower than every weapon, for a reason! Because it’s essentially an aoe weapon limited to a cone in front of the guardian. It depends on hitting 5 people to make up for it’s lackluster dps. THAT’S THE WHOLE POINT!

Let me put this in another way as I don’t think people understand just how much of a nerf this is. While the range has been cut in half, it’s effectiveness has been nerfed way more than that. At 600 unit range with a 170 degree ark, it covered an area of 534,000 units. Cut the range in half, it will now cover an area of 134,000 units. That translates to a 75% reduction in area! That’s insane!

Also, the auto attack was great for proccing your justice burns and was essential to an AH/EM sustain build as you would statistically always crit granting might to you and your allies giving you about 400 in heals / sec. That’s now out the window.

Anet just made this a completely broken weapon and any build centered around it. If they didn’t like the range, and decide to keep this, then they need to make it 360 degrees. That still won’t equal the area it was before, but it won’t be as bad.

(edited by Spurnshadow.3678)

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

The staff’s auto attack IS it’s main dps. It doesn’t have any burst dps like the hammer or GS. It’s auto attack’s damage is much lower than every weapon, for a reason! Because it’s essentially an aoe weapon limited to a cone in front of the guardian. It depends on hitting 5 people to make up for it’s lackluster dps. THAT’S THE WHOLE POINT!

Let me put this in another way as I don’t think people understand just how much of a nerf this is. While the range has been cut in half, it’s effectiveness has been nerfed way more than that. At 600 unit range with a 170 degree ark, it covered an area of 534,000 units. Cut the range in half, it will now cover an area of 134,000 units. That translates to a 75% reduction in area! That’s insane!

Also, the auto attack was great for proccing your justice burns and was essential to an AH/EM sustain build as you would statistically always crit granting might to you and your allies giving you about 400 in heals / sec. That’s now out the window.

Anet just made this a completely broken weapon and any build centered around it. If they didn’t like the range, and decide to keep this, then they need to make it 360 degrees. That still won’t equal the area it was before, but it won’t be as bad.

You’re trying to make points as if this were a damage dealing weapon kit. It is not. It is support.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Bestgoch.7390

Bestgoch.7390

Pls unnerf, kk? thx

in WvW

Posted by: Bestgoch.7390

Bestgoch.7390

You’re trying to make points as if this were a damage dealing weapon kit. It is not. It is support.

Why should I bother to play support, pump out sustain and stab, if I get no lootbags for it, huh? I just wont bother. And without guards to give AOE stab you wouldn’t be able to build a proper stack and would have to stick to cloud formation instead. So good luck catching those lootbags one by one instead of just blowing up the stack and getting tons of loot.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

guard staff is a horrible weapon that is terribly outdated. I don’t know why ppl still run this.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

They should reduce range to 150 and add destroy projectile effect.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: thatNEWguy.8192

thatNEWguy.8192

Im so glad I didnt buy the expac so long guildwars

in WvW

Lord Trejgon.2809

(and this is ridiculous, they have made the weapon useless offensively when it was already bad offensively anyways)

because this is a support weapon not offensive weapon and at no point was actually supposed to be used offensively….

[and for sure not to the point where you could build for it and make it a hella of aoe fire spammer – and you could do just so]

in WvW

Spurnshadow.3678

Mace / shield is also support, but does a lot more damage. The point is, kitten many are failing to understand, is that the sub-par damage of the staff is made up for by hitting 5 people and having a big aoe

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Poor zerglings.

This ^ boohoo no more no brainless press 1 for EZ loot, now they will have to actually press some other buttons.

in WvW

Posted by: Pelto.9364

Pelto.9364

How Line of Warding + Wave of Wrath combo works now? Melee enemy should stay out of reach but Wave of Wrath should hit the enemy.

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

guard staff is a horrible weapon that is terribly outdated. I don’t know why ppl still run this.

Literally just for lootstick in WvW because it’s free ranged cleave for more bags.

Maybe people will actually dive with the tag, now, instead of just spamming 1 on heavies in the backline while dealing no damage.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Staff isn’t used in PVE, nor in PVP, so this change was one of the few clearly aimed at WvW. The question is why? No one thinks it is too strong, hammer or GS are arguably better.

Of all the nerfs to make to weapons used heavily in WvW you pick guardian staff? I too would really like to know the reasoning behind the decision.

And no, the changes to light fields, and a bit of cooldown reduction on some of the other skills do not make up for it.

It was used as loot stick in pve too.

Absurd, but between that and the balance team taking wvw into account, the former is more likely

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

So sad. Guards gonna have to put a little more effort in to tagging and bagging now. The world is ending. Oh no.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Dagger.2035

Dagger.2035

I don’t see how nerfing the Guardian staff is a good thing. It’s just one less ranged option to pick from and the lack of a good ranged option makes me not even want to play Guardian. It’s too frustrating being full melee when you are outnumbered or following a commander who won’t push. The scepter and longbow aren’t good ranged alternatives since they can be reflected.

The skill related comments are also pointless. I spend the vast majority of my time in WvW playing Necromancer and Revenant and those can tag enemies just as easily and they can do it from 1200 range.

Overall, this is a bad change for the game and it needs to be reverted.

Human Thief [DOA]
Sorrows Furnace

in WvW

Lord Trejgon.2809

Mace / shield is also support, but does a lot more damage. The point is, kitten many are failing to understand, is that the sub-par damage of the staff is made up for by hitting 5 people and having a big aoe

Mace/Shield also does not dish nearly even close as much boons and support as staff did in the past and still do in a present

The scepter and longbow aren’t good ranged alternatives since they can be reflected.

welcome to the world of every ranged ranged profession that does not happen to be a spellcaster…. [and then I’m kidna sure alot of ranged options of spellcasters can be reflected too

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

[Broke the 2nd page]

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

(edited by Kovu.7560)