Why No gliders in new wvw map

in WvW

Posted by: TheMightyNewb.6789

TheMightyNewb.6789

First i know HOT has been out for a month or so now and and im sure people have already asked but i personally feel like this new border lands was or had the intent of using the new glider system. I feel like as i roam i get to loads of areas with tons of canyons or areas that clearly look as if it was meant to be glided. i just feel like Anet changed there mind last second. I have heard that it was because they didn’t want to feel non- HOT players to be left out? but i feel like if we had our gliders on the new map it would give non- Hot players more incentive to buy the new expansion. It also would be way more entertaining to play since they are so freaking big it takes forever to get around. and the gliding system is for sure one of the best additions to the game. if anyone knows why there is no gliding on the new WvW maps i would love to know.

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Imagine fights between the players with gliders and players without. Just is not fair. The ones without would call it pay-to-win game mode.

in WvW

Posted by: TheMightyNewb.6789

TheMightyNewb.6789

Imagine fights between the players with gliders and players without. Just is not fair. The ones without would call it pay-to-win game mode.

players that are gliding can’t attack while gliding? the players that on the ground can attack the gliding players, but not the other way around, the gliding would bring more tactics and ambush possibilities and out plays

in WvW

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Considering that such players have no access to elite specs at all, the gliders seem pretty minor as an issue.

in WvW

Posted by: Filovirus.6258

Filovirus.6258

Considering that such players have no access to elite specs at all, the gliders seem pretty minor as an issue.

Until you take 2mins to think and just realize that you forced a GIGANTIC RIFT between HoT players and the rest.

Either HoT players refuse to glide, or you end up with groups being FORCED to be “HoT owners only” because the others won’t be able to move with the group….

IF they allow gliding in WvW (and they should, the map was obviously designed with that in mind, it would alleviate a little bit the gazillons problems/map design flaws of the piece of crap :/), they would need to allow it for everyone. PERIOD.

Everything else would kill WvW even more (and it’s already on life support, crashing down sadly).

in WvW

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Range classes would be so op they will snipe every gilding player

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in WvW

Posted by: Catalin.5341

Catalin.5341

Interesting how no one thought about gliding from higher cliffs inside the keeps/towers.
Ohh I forget WvW is all about face vs face. Objectives are there to fill the map.

EU Seafearer’s Rest, Guilds: [AR] [tD]
Catalin Puf (Human Elementalist)
Catalin Elf (Sylvari Thief)

in WvW

Posted by: erKo.9586

erKo.9586

Why not focusing on the real problem? thats there are no players in the new borders – gliders? foreal thats not the problem. Bring back the old maps and fill them with players then you can talk about small problems like this

[WvW] Thanks Anet for listening to your players during 2016.
Far Shiverpeaks – EU – Since release.

in WvW

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

My theory is that the map is a leftover from when they designed SW/Dry Top and was recycled into use as a wvw map. They originally were going to have gliding but then decided it would be too much effort

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Range classes would be so op they will snipe every gilding player

And the non-range classes can use ballistas as AA finally they would get useful again.

So yes, gliding in the presence of the enemie is close to suicide.

On the other side you do not have to waste time with rams, if there is no enemie, just glide over the walls. (If you aren’t hit by an npc-ranger, who’s knock-back let you crash before the wall )

Sounds all very funny and promising to me!

But yes again, non-hot would be even left out of some captures, they have to wait outside till the paratroopers made it.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Kusaku.9056

Kusaku.9056

A net could just enable gliders in www for both hot and non hot player.
Could add in anti air defence’s.
Gliders would be fine so long as you can’t glide over walls.

in WvW

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

if gliding does go in, we really need to be able to load players into the catapult.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

It already is. Just look at the pay2win elite specializations. If they weren’t completely broken the noobs wouldn’t shell out fifty bucks to play them.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in WvW

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

So far nobody have talked about possible problem of lag, and/or stuttering when there are massive amount of people in action located on a map of any place in this game.

How would gliding be working, when ANet already put under water fights on hold for now? I don’t see how there is any difference between a fight in water and being in air from a technical point of view.

In any case even if those new BL maps looks like they could have been designed to be used with gliding in mind, there is still the question about what kind of rules and what kind of game design that such change would force to make it a part of how BL should work for being a place for server (world) based fights?

What kind of changes would be needed for strategical use of siege weapon? How would siege weapon and weapon skill work in a way which wouldn’t make it impossible to see what is going on from all AoE effects etc.? It is already very hard to see anything when there is a blob/zerg throwing around AoE conditions, (mass)stealthing or Wells and the speed some profession move around on map can also make it hard to keep track of players (both allies and enemies). Where do we find updraft etc on BL maps in the way we find it in HoT maps?

With gliding it would be a visual mess, if UI would not change to make it easier to both navigate and to see what is going on during intense fights. We already could make use of a better 3D min map then today’s 2D based one with small pointer for if Vista, PoI etc are up or down to locate where on map we need to go.

I am not against the idea, but I think it is too easy to suggest something without really thinking around how this would actually change more then just being a way of transportation from point A to B on BL maps.

For my own part I would want to see some more development of under water world in this game as that is what I really admire when I am in exploring maps in PvE. We even have UW weapon to every profession, so that step wouldn’t be as large as gliding or integrating air based fights and I have hungry shark to feed. ;-)

Edit: Changed some wording and spelling

(edited by ShadowCatz.8437)

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

You just know, someone, somewhere, would figure out how to game the gliders and get over keep/tower walls.

No matter how much they tested it, the resourceful GW2 WvW player would find a way, lol.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Forgive me if this has been brought up, but the new maps were probably designed with the assumption that masteries would function in WvW. I don’t have a source, but I’m pretty sure it was asked if Autoloot would function in WvW(at some point pre-release) and the answer was yes. HoT comes out and what do you know, masteries don’t function in WvW.

It makes perfect sense why masteries don’t function in WvW since you can’t give an advantage (real or perceived) to HoT players. Whether there was a miscommunication that lead to the WvW devs thinking Autoloot (and possibly all masteries) would function in WvW when in fact it wouldn’t, or they did in fact intend for masteries to function in WvW and later made the decision to not allow them (possibly due to real or perceived advantage) I can’t say. But I’m thinking that one way or another the new maps were designed with masteries in mind.

in WvW

FogLeg.9354

How would gliding be working, when ANet already put under water fights on hold for now? I don’t see how there is any difference between a fight in water and being in air from a technical point of view.

Not sure if we are talking about fights during gliding or simply using glider to jump off higher ground. If you can not use any skills while gliding, also in case there are no updraft on the map, its not that big change. I mean each class has 1-2 completely different weapons for underwater fights, all of which need to be tested against all the possible skills, traits and items.

And I personally hate underwater fighting…

But if we consider just the gliding itself, all the skills disabled, no way to raise higher, thats just moving around. And that already works in the game, only on different maps.

in WvW

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

Just wait till the next expansion, guys. Then they’ll give away HoT for free and maybe then we’ll get gliding in wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I feel gliding would be fine as long as there were similar methods of reaching the spaces that gliding could reach without said mastery.

I.E. Someone with gliding could glide down a cliff and just fall to get there faster. Someone else can go through a nearby teleporter and go straight down.

The trick I feel would be making it so that gliding doesn’t truly offer any more advantages that not having gliding. Or else it heavily favors HoT players.

Smoother movement over terrain is one thing. But a zerg with gliding needs to reach x tower at the same time a zerg without it does. Even if the methods of the second zerg are a bit jankier.

Edit: Id also make it so that in WvW taking ANY damage at all while gliding knocks you out of the sky.

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Edit: Id also make it so that in WvW taking ANY damage at all while gliding knocks you out of the sky.

http://youtu.be/l5aZJBLAu1E

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

Considering it’s a flight-begging map, non-HoT players should also be able to use gliders in WvW. It would even become a marketing point for people to buy HoT. Not that complicated, really. =P

(Also, if getting technical, the line between play-to-win and pay-to-win kinda died with the guild reset. Gotta pay hefty amounts of gold/resources to get WvW buffs, and when time = money, small guilds – and servers without big WvW guilds – have reason to fume about pay-to-win.)

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

(edited by Swift.1930)

in WvW

FogLeg.9354

I am not against making gliding free for everyone in WvW

Its the anet as company that has to make profit by selling stuff. They only make money by selling expansions/story packs or by selling gems. So, to push the idea forward better, lets suppose you could unlock gliding in wvw maps for 1000 gems?