Why WvW isn't fun/ Wish list

in WvW

Posted by: blade eyes.2034

blade eyes.2034

Hello, I have been playing Guild Wars 2 for 4 years now, but I have stopped playing WvW after a year, and here is why. To me WvW is like this; you are going around with a zerg, taking stuff and killing players back and forth between the 3 servers until the timer is up. After that, your server moves on to the next tier, congratulation! Okay, so how is the next tier different? Do we fight on a different map? Do we get any new toys to play with? (meaning sieges and vehicles) The answer is no; you just get bigger zergs playing on the same maps and doing the same thing for the next 4 years. Yeah, that feels really pointless and static. Now, I know that the WvW team are doing their best, but I really wish for more out of WvW, so here is my wish list.

• Disclaimer (most things in this list may not be possible because of game engine limitation, but I’m throwing them out there anyway)

1. More (sieges and vehicles). If you saw the Chinese trailer for GW2, you can see that the Charrs have many huge war machines, and I want them in WvW for more dynamic battles instead of zerging.

2. (One big map) I hate the 4 map instance. Instead, I would love to have the Desert Borderlands and Alpine Borderlands connected with Eternal Battleground.

3. (Guild castles and decoration) Guild halls are cool, but I would love if we can claim our own castle in WvW and be able to decorate it for as long as we hold it + add more awesome castles similar to “Stonemist Castle <3”.

4. (Airships combat) I have always wanted Airship to Airship battle. I even told my Guildies many times how cool that would be. After seeing the Heart of Thorn’s expansion trailer and the epic Airship summon, it made me euphoric, so thank you for that.

5. (Navy combat) Guild Wars 2 has the most beautiful underwater that I have ever seen in a video game and an easy/fun control. So it’s a shame that there aren’t any ships and boats that we can control + battle with, in WvW.

Thank you for reading, you may agree or disagree, but this is how I feel about WvW and what I wish it could have been.

(edited by blade eyes.2034)

in WvW

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

1. More new maps that are less intricate then the desert borderlands, but still hold there own unique flavor (beach maps, swamp maps, plains of ashford maps, forest maps, there is a lot of potential for map expansion that would add some unique map rotations)
2. New siege: siege tower (moves real slow, extremely vulnerable to trebs, catas, and mortars), constructable walls (lower health then gates, can be pvd’d, though it’s not exceptionally fast. Die fast to siege), barb wire, asuran cannons (in between trebuchet and catapult, can only hit one wall, damage of a super cata with the Same speed, can kill siege and enemy players well too, requires target like a bali)
3. Add a third set of gates on SMC and move lord to the third floor. Make the vertical aspect of SMC more dynamic and add gates at the end of the inner corridors to make defense easier on inner.

(edited by oscuro.9720)

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

One big map not possible due to technical limitation. If one big map was possible, we would not have 5-target max aoe too.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

blade eyes.2034

One big map not possible due to technical limitation. If one big map was possible, we would not have 5-target max aoe too.

Yeah, I figured much, but not sure about the aoe limitation.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

During launch, a dev mentioned that 5 aoe was set due to technical limitation.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Test it out in EoTM only please.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

(1) You get the Charr Bikes if you delve deep into the guild scribe upgrades. Never tried it myself, and honestly never seen it around. But all in all, most WvW players would like to see work priority elsewhere (Population, Coverage, Fight Balance, Conditions etc)

(2) As mentioned, technical limitation of the engine. Eternal Battle Ground already get lag as all heck when 2-3 large groups gather up in SMC. WvW maps are already flirting with how close to the max population per map without breaking into a slide-show mess of lag. And even if you did manage to make a larger map for WvW, it still wouldn’t have more people, so this is not likely going to happen.

(3) I think most players in WvW are too busy to fight to decorate castles, especially SMC that tend to resemble a cheese full of holes most of the time.

(4) GW2 engine isn’t capable of moving a platform that you can stand on. It sounds weird, but it simply can’t move the ground under your character, with your character on it. If you did the last step of the personal story, you get an airship battle, the entire thing is hacked by moving the entire rest of the map around the air-ship…

One of my guildies managed to fall down, and got caught in a wacky teleport chain, where the game tried to teleport him back to the ship, but failed, and he got stuck for the rest of the dungeon, until he finally teleported into Zhaitans foot. So sorry, wait for GW3 ?

(5) See 4.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

blade eyes.2034

(1) You get the Charr Bikes if you delve deep into the guild scribe upgrades. Never tried it myself, and honestly never seen it around. But all in all, most WvW players would like to see work priority elsewhere (Population, Coverage, Fight Balance, Conditions etc)

(2) As mentioned, technical limitation of the engine. Eternal Battle Ground already get lag as all heck when 2-3 large groups gather up in SMC. WvW maps are already flirting with how close to the max population per map without breaking into a slide-show mess of lag. And even if you did manage to make a larger map for WvW, it still wouldn’t have more people, so this is not likely going to happen.

(3) I think most players in WvW are too busy to fight to decorate castles, especially SMC that tend to resemble a cheese full of holes most of the time.

(4) GW2 engine isn’t capable of moving a platform that you can stand on. It sounds weird, but it simply can’t move the ground under your character, with your character on it. If you did the last step of the personal story, you get an airship battle, the entire thing is hacked by moving the entire rest of the map around the air-ship…

One of my guildies managed to fall down, and got caught in a wacky teleport chain, where the game tried to teleport him back to the ship, but failed, and he got stuck for the rest of the dungeon, until he finally teleported into Zhaitans foot. So sorry, wait for GW3 ?

(5) See 4.

1) Yeah, I know there are many limitations with the game engine, which is a shame.

2) Charrs have many more war machines then just the “Charr Bikes,” and I think it would be fun if they add them into WvW. Since WvW should be like a war zone.

3) The “Castles decorate idea” is to have the Castles to be somewhat similar to Guild Hall, but for WvW. I think it’ll give more reasons for WvW Guilds to hold a Castle and defend it. Instead of what we have right now, which is take a keep or a castle and have it taken 5 minutes later. Besides, it will add more meaning and personal connection for players to defend their castles.

in WvW

Posted by: Fatherbliss.4701

Fatherbliss.4701

I gave you a +1 for this. Rather than react to your list I’m going to make my own. With the understanding that other people (probably many that I am friends with actually) aren’t going to see it the same way.

1) Open World PVP setting: We have soooo many discussions around the score, about PPT, about tryhards. I just want the ability to log in and have the content be player driven. With open world settings the players can set up scrims, have more control over roaming, etc. Plus some of our PVE maps would be an absolute joy to have PVP battles on in some form. But that changes the entire game. I didn’t say it was realistic, this is a wish list.
2) Larger team PVP maps: I’m thinking 20v20 or 40v40 here.
3) Yes to environmental combat scenarios. Underwater combat, gliding and being able to use abilities in the air. I want to see squadrons of Asura MM necros coming towards me blotting out the sun.
4) Population balancing: This is tough because players disrupt this every time. Having played on some very low ranking servers who then get linked with T1 servers, its not entertaining to be forced into playing against blobs. (I personally do big group play and roaming so I don’t mind.) The absolute basic metric used in a PVP type of setting is developing a scenario where the teams at least have equal players.
5) Rewards tracks specific to WvW: While I’m not certain what this would look like, I want rewards that are available just to this game mode.
6) Updated WvW Achievements: This is a way to engage more people to try out the game mode. There are definitely achievement hunters who would go out of their way to knock these out. Try some crazy versions. Put some in only for a limited time each season, like killing a certain number of opponents with specific finishers. Give someone both positive and negative versions. Much like having a title for the person who has died the most times on a server.

And honestly, put some of the suggestions from the community in the game. I’ve read so many ideas on here over the years that would be fantastic.

Leader of Goats of Thunder [GOAT]
Tarnished Coast: Bringing the Butter to you (no pants allowed)

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

3. (Guild castles and decoration) Guild halls are cool, but I would love if we can claim our own castle in WvW and be able to decorate it for as long as we hold it + add more awesome castles similar to “Stonemist Castle <3”.

I really like this one. If I were to implement it, I would give player decorations a set number of hit points, so they could perhaps build huge barricades of junk behind doors or whatever.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

I really like this one. If I were to implement it, I would give player decorations a set number of hit points, so they could perhaps build huge barricades of junk behind doors or whatever.

That one has been mentioned a few times over the years. They could do it the minimal way and have pre-made decorated structures, you pick a theme and when you claim something it changes over to that theme. Themes like having a haunted halloween tower, a more medieval looking keep, north pole looking castle with ice block walls, even the eotm keeps have their own themes you could use, etc.

They could sell those themes on the gem store if they wanted like the finishers, and would give guilds a more personal and fun touch to their claims. Speaking of which they could have done a better job with the flags and banners that fly the guild crest on claims, showing the abbreviated guild names which I would think would provide a lil extra pride to the guilds.

For a game that’s about looks they sure don’t bother to explore that much, here’s another outfit and wings.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

That one has been mentioned a few times over the years. They could do it the minimal way and have pre-made decorated structures, you pick a theme and when you claim something it changes over to that theme. Themes like having a haunted halloween tower, a more medieval looking keep, north pole looking castle with ice block walls, even the eotm keeps have their own themes you could use, etc.

They could sell those themes on the gem store if they wanted like the finishers, and would give guilds a more personal and fun touch to their claims. Speaking of which they could have done a better job with the flags and banners that fly the guild crest on claims, showing the abbreviated guild names which I would think would provide a lil extra pride to the guilds.

For a game that’s about looks they sure don’t bother to explore that much, here’s another outfit and wings.

WOuld you be able to build siege on top of decorations? I wonder if this is one of the problems (possibly along with lag issues) that prevent them from implementing this – additionally, using the decorations to reach inaccessible locations could be a real issue – do you remember when people could run around the outside of the alpine map and get back in at hills?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

WOuld you be able to build siege on top of decorations? I wonder if this is one of the problems (possibly along with lag issues) that prevent them from implementing this – additionally, using the decorations to reach inaccessible locations could be a real issue – do you remember when people could run around the outside of the alpine map and get back in at hills?

I wouldn’t make it like guildhall decorating because it would run into the problems you mentioned, and not to mention people would use decorations to block access to lords. I would provide it like basically a skin over, sorta like what they do for sanctuary during wintersday, basically mostly artwork would be involved in the changes.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

blade eyes.2034

I gave you a +1 for this. Rather than react to your list I’m going to make my own. With the understanding that other people (probably many that I am friends with actually) aren’t going to see it the same way.

1) Open World PVP setting: We have soooo many discussions around the score, about PPT, about tryhards. I just want the ability to log in and have the content be player driven. With open world settings the players can set up scrims, have more control over roaming, etc. Plus some of our PVE maps would be an absolute joy to have PVP battles on in some form. But that changes the entire game. I didn’t say it was realistic, this is a wish list.
3) Yes to environmental combat scenarios. Underwater combat, gliding and being able to use abilities in the air. I want to see squadrons of Asura MM necros coming towards me blotting out the sun.
4) Population balancing: This is tough because players disrupt this every time. Having played on some very low ranking servers who then get linked with T1 servers, its not entertaining to be forced into playing against blobs. (I personally do big group play and roaming so I don’t mind.) The absolute basic metric used in a PVP type of setting is developing a scenario where the teams at least have equal players.
5) Rewards tracks specific to WvW: While I’m not certain what this would look like, I want rewards that are available just to this game mode.
6) Updated WvW Achievements: This is a way to engage more people to try out the game mode. There are definitely achievement hunters who would go out of their way to knock these out. Try some crazy versions. Put some in only for a limited time each season, like killing a certain number of opponents with specific finishers. Give someone both positive and negative versions. Much like having a title for the person who has died the most times on a server.

And honestly, put some of the suggestions from the community in the game. I’ve read so many ideas on here over the years that would be fantastic.

For your first wish, I actually had an idea on how to do an Open World PvP, yet keeping it separate from PVE. I made a Topic on it in Guild Wars 2 Discussion called “Bandits vs Mercenaries (Activity Game),” but it seems like many people Just don’t want PvP in Open World or just immediately think of Open World PvP as in other games. Here is me quoting myself on how it will work.

“To start with, here is a rough idea of how the mechanic will work. Allow players to steal goods like silver and some unique skins, but nothing crazy. In addition, allow players to kill NPCs stealthily as bandits in towns. They can be NPCs that already exist or new ones for this game mode, and the stealth system would work similar to how it worked when we played as Caithe in the episode “Seeds of Truth.” Furthermore, If the player gets caught by Soldier Patrol or killed too many NPCs, they’ll get a bounty on their head. As a result, other players who can become mercenaries can pick up the Bounty, and pursue the Bandit player. As well as, the more mercenaries get killed by the Bandit player, the higher his/her bounty will become. Lastly, the regular PVE players who did not register to become a mercenary, can not attack or be attacked be the Bandit players. Therefore, keeping PVE and PVP separated.”

In addition, they can make this game mode exclusive to lvl 80s or boost players who sing up for this activity to lvl 80.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Do have to say I like your list sir. Especially 1+2.

I think #2 especially is basically the only way we’re going to see a competitive large rgoup play.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Fatherbliss.4701

Fatherbliss.4701

“To start with, here is a rough idea of how the mechanic will work. Allow players to steal goods like silver and some unique skins, but nothing crazy. In addition, allow players to kill NPCs stealthily as bandits in towns. They can be NPCs that already exist or new ones for this game mode, and the stealth system would work similar to how it worked when we played as Caithe in the episode “Seeds of Truth.” Furthermore, If the player gets caught by Soldier Patrol or killed too many NPCs, they’ll get a bounty on their head. As a result, other players who can become mercenaries can pick up the Bounty, and pursue the Bandit player. As well as, the more mercenaries get killed by the Bandit player, the higher his/her bounty will become. Lastly, the regular PVE players who did not register to become a mercenary, can not attack or be attacked be the Bandit players. Therefore, keeping PVE and PVP separated.”

In addition, they can make this game mode exclusive to lvl 80s or boost players who sing up for this activity to lvl 80.

Very interesting ideas in there. I wonder if that is so different from what we have now it would need to be in an expansion? I love the idea of a bounty. Actually, setting a bounty on other players for any reason would make me intrigued. lol

Leader of Goats of Thunder [GOAT]
Tarnished Coast: Bringing the Butter to you (no pants allowed)

in WvW

Posted by: Doll Mistress.9267

Doll Mistress.9267

1. More new maps that are less intricate then the desert borderlands, but still hold there own unique flavor (beach maps, swamp maps, plains of ashford maps, forest maps, there is a lot of potential for map expansion that would add some unique map rotations)
2. New siege: siege tower (moves real slow, extremely vulnerable to trebs, catas, and mortars), constructable walls (lower health then gates, can be pvd’d, though it’s not exceptionally fast. Die fast to siege), barb wire, asuran cannons (in between trebuchet and catapult, can only hit one wall, damage of a super cata with the Same speed, can kill siege and enemy players well too, requires target like a bali)
3. Add a third set of gates on SMC and move lord to the third floor. Make the vertical aspect of SMC more dynamic and add gates at the end of the inner corridors to make defense easier on inner.

...and stop mesmers from being able to blink into areas they shouldn’t...like through ceilings and walls.

...make hiding a thing again.

...someone else mentioned balancing the servers. I agree and have been mentioning a way to do that. Instead of the nearly useless outnumbered buff, change it to disallow more players from entering until the numbers are more even.

(edited by Doll Mistress.9267)

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

1) 1) 1) 1) Introduce some sort of balance where guilds actually want all classes in wvw instead of 4-5…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

1) Yeah, I know there are many limitations with the game engine, which is a shame.

2) Charrs have many more war machines then just the “Charr Bikes,” and I think it would be fun if they add them into WvW. Since WvW should be like a war zone.

3) The “Castles decorate idea” is to have the Castles to be somewhat similar to Guild Hall, but for WvW. I think it’ll give more reasons for WvW Guilds to hold a Castle and defend it. Instead of what we have right now, which is take a keep or a castle and have it taken 5 minutes later. Besides, it will add more meaning and personal connection for players to defend their castles.

Extra charr siege might be OK with sensible spawn limits. If they go adding big objects, I’d hope their position would appear on the map to give some extra warning – I don’t mind the addition of the charr tanks and siege towers, so long as they can’t be used in secret.

As for the castles – I’d like to see those on their own maps, specifically meant for guilds to hold, and with set vulnerable times to make it possible for that guild to defend without having to play all day.

Your other ideas – airship and navy combat – sound really interesting too. I think they would need maps designed for it though.

Something I’ve wanted to see for a while is a PvP dungeon – take the concept of Obsidian Sanctum, but rather than trying to reach the top of a jumping puzzle (no wonder I never see any foes in there anymore!) it’s a 3-way instance with an objective that only one team can achieve, and no respawn (can only be ressed by other players).

(edited by Ben K.6238)