Why are EU WvW servers hosted on NA servers?

in WvW

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

I noticed that when playing in WvW, I’m actually connected to Jade Quarry or Fort Aspenwood, which are NA servers.

Also, I’m noticing a slightly higher time of response in WvW (in an rather empty map, yes EU T8 allows that at times) than in PvE (empty map as well). It’s barely noticeable, but I can see it from time to time, whereas in PvE, it’s more fluid.

So, are we, European WvW players, actually playing in NA, with a higher latency time? If yes, why aren’t we connecting to EU servers?

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

in WvW

Posted by: Aevis.4061

Aevis.4061

I’m not sure how you figured you’re connected to JQ/FA. If you refer to a simple traceroute and the IP you get, then that’s the login server which is located in Texas. Neither the US nor the EU gameservers are located in Texas.

This is a hot topic on german forums right now, as a lot of users (mostly from the largest german provider Telekom) experience horrible lags and freezes. Here’s the official answer (in german): https://forum-de.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/EU-Server-stehen-jetzt-in-USA/229503

Elona Reach [DE], Tamok [TA]

in WvW

Fror.2163

No, I base my question on the fact that when I look at my WvW party, it says they’re all on Jade Quarry (and when I ask, I am too), where we are all players from Whiteside Ridge.

It’s like when you use gw2lfg.com and you enter a dungeon or the FotM. You all enter a dungeon instance on one server that might not be yours.

In the case of WvW, the server name is often “Jade Quarry” or “Fort Aspenwood” (it varies from week to week; dare I say from tier to tier?).

While I understand that, for neutrality, none of the 3 servers of a tier actually hosts their WvW match, it’s hard for me to understand that as EU player I get to connect to a NA server to play WvW and possibly lose precious 10^-2 seconds.

I also understand that my opponents are in the same case as me, but latency is what it is and it’s preferable to have it as low as possible.

in WvW

Posted by: Runty Choir.4893

Runty Choir.4893

Yea i get the same thing on Gunnars. My party members are in Maguuma. Said Kaineng a few weeks ago. This has always baffled me.

Alpha
Victrixx [xVx]

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

Just a bug in their UI. Ehmry Bay players are always listed as being on HoD.

Somewhere they have a table not aligned correctly.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Fror.2163

Any source for that affirmation?