Why are commander tags bought with gold?

in WvW

Posted by: TheBravery.9615

TheBravery.9615

^Question.

Gold does not dictate how much experience a player has in WvW. As someone who exclusively plays wvw, I still don’t have a commander tag because it’s still too expensive. I do, on the other hand, have plenty of proof of heroics, and badges of honor. (WvW is the least rewarding mode in gw2 even with reward tracks still, and also the most expensive. Requiring food/utility and siege)

Suggestion: Change the price of Commander’s Compendium to 10 gold and 5000 badges of honor or 500 proof of heroics, require a minimum World Level of 1000 to unlock.

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Eh, I disagree with this sentiment.

I have 3 different accounts all with commander tags – 2 of those accounts are under rank 150 while my main is around rank 4k.

I play and tag on all 3 accounts for different purposes.

It does me no good if I can’t tag on my alts just because they’re new accounts, because I am a veteran player with plenty of experience playing WvW

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

Everyone should get a tag free of charge, not like it matters anyway.

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: akhilesh.9147

akhilesh.9147

Everyone should get a tag free of charge, not like it matters anyway.

I would not mind that if I was refunded the 300 gold I used to purchase my tag

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Commander tag isn’t a WvW only thing, so it needs to cost something that applies to all game modes. I’m fully aware that the CMD tag has the greatest effect in WvW despite that.

(Also, I’d love the tears if you had to use badges and such for buying a tag period, all the tears of pve players all over again, that just wanted a vanity tag)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

(edited by joneirikb.7506)

in WvW

Posted by: archmagus.7249

archmagus.7249

Solution: Commander tags are bought with Karma, Badges of Honor, and the most recent living world season currency (which right now is unbound magic).

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Commander tags are not only useful in WvW. Believe it or not, there are other game modes, 1 of which uses commander tags extensively.

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

Gold is the fairest currency, because you can transform almost every currency in the game to gold as well. So if you save enough badges, just sell badges of tribute, if you have enough proofs of heroics, sell superior siege, or just make the reward tracks and dailies until you do have enough gold to buy it. It is really not THAT expensive for any player that plays the game a lot.

in WvW

Posted by: Limodriver.4106

Limodriver.4106

maybe u are playing the game wrong if u have hard time making 300 gold in this game.

in WvW

Posted by: synergy.5809

synergy.5809

maybe u are playing the game wrong if u have hard time making 300 gold in this game.

you pretty much lose money if you only play WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

you pretty much lose money if you only play WvW

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

^Question.

Gold does not dictate how much experience a player has in WvW. As someone who exclusively plays wvw, I still don’t have a commander tag because it’s still too expensive. I do, on the other hand, have plenty of proof of heroics, and badges of honor. (WvW is the least rewarding mode in gw2 even with reward tracks still, and also the most expensive. Requiring food/utility and siege)

Suggestion: Change the price of Commander’s Compendium to 10 gold and 5000 badges of honor or 500 proof of heroics, require a minimum World Level of 1000 to unlock.

Why bother with a proof of heroics AND a rank requirement?

badges: achievement chests.
ranks: eotm/ktrain.

Having rank x doesn’t mean a player knows how to be effective in wvw.

Also requiring a rank as high as 1000 would mean perfectly good commanders would not be able to tag up because they didn’t grind enough.

While I totally agree, having a tag mean something would be amazing. The problem is: how do you put a mathematical value on commander ability? It’s entirely heuristic.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Am I the only one that think the commander tag should be a crafted unlock, just like HoT precursors? Require about the same amount of stuffs but also 500 freshwater pearls and 1000 maguuma lilies.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

You’re suppose to pve in pveland for your gold silly.

Kinda funny pve gets a tag unlocked through mastery in HoT though. Wvw? nah fork over 300g.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

You’re suppose to pve in pveland for your gold silly.

Kinda funny pve gets a tag unlocked through mastery in HoT though. Wvw? nah fork over 300g.

I don’t see a problem with a wvw mastery line having a mentor tag for wvw at the end of it..

In theory it shouldn’t take too much work, considering the graphic assets and everything are essentially already there.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

Yeah well considering they didn’t even consider adding auto loot to wvw masteries when the expansion came out, and we had to come in here and cry about it before they would, not surprising a wvw mentor tag didn’t get considered either.

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

i stop commanding after i got my tag XD

in WvW

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

ANet need to realize that Commanders (with a commander tag) provide a valuable service to the company and to the community.

Locking the Commander tag behind 300 gold excludes automatically a lot of good players that will never invest 300 gold to buy a tag to provide a service to ANet and the community.

I understand that the Commander tag brings a lot of responsibility and easily obtainable tags could disrupt the game due to abuse.

What I propose is to have 2 ways of acquiring the Commanders Tag:

1. The present one, locked behind 300 gold + 250 WvW badges;
2. A new one, locked behind a kind of legendary quest including the following: Full map exploration, all dungeons done, all raids done, all fractals done up to XX level, all open world bosses done, PvP rank XX, completed personal story up to the last available chapter, 3 crafting professions up to 500 and WvW rank corresponding to all WvW skills maxed out.

With this proposed system, ANet and the community will get a lot of new experienced Commanders and will be a win-win situation for everyone.

Thanks.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

in WvW

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

ANet need to realize that Commanders (with a commander tag) provide a valuable service to the company and to the community.

Locking the Commander tag behind 300 gold excludes automatically a lot of good players that will never invest 300 gold to buy a tag to provide a service to ANet and the community.

I understand that the Commander tag brings a lot of responsibility and easily obtainable tags could disrupt the game due to abuse.

2. A new one, locked behind a kind of legendary quest including the following: Full map exploration, all dungeons done, all raids done, all fractals done up to XX level, all open world bosses done, PvP rank XX, completed personal story up to the last available chapter, 3 crafting professions up to 500 and WvW rank corresponding to all WvW skills maxed out.

With this proposed system, ANet and the community will get a lot of new experienced Commanders and will be a win-win situation for everyone.

Thanks.

You complain about the tag being locked behind 300g and then turn around and want to lock it behind even more stuff…makes no sense.

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

If you are going to make an alternative for WvW players to unlock commander tags you should have the requirements be something that is done in WvW only.

Some examples:

Badges of Honor
Proof of Heroics
Tome of Knowledge
WvW Masteries
WvW Map Completion
Spikes

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

@RedBaron, you forgot Giant Slayer and Spirited Drinker achievment to lock it even more from the people who don’t want to spend 300g in first place.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Spikes

You have my axe! I shall follow you to the gates of Mordor!

I think another/different idea might be to take a hint from the Mentor Tag. By giving WvW its own tag symbol. This could be done either through a WXP track, or as a combination system with the existing tag.

Example a WXP Commander track might reward you with a “wvw pug tag” or something.

But if you have that AND a normal commander tag, it might unlock different symbols for the usual commander tag. The idea here is to give a way for commanders with more WvW experience a way to stick out.

Obviously this will have some good and bad sides, naturally a lot of people are going to do the usual elitist: “But he only has a PVE tag, we’re not following him!” etc. Which I think is the main reason this will never ever happen.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Xenesis.6389

With all the pve you want to throw in there might as well just grind out 300g instead. Not even the regular legendaries are that bad lol.

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Thanks.

If you do even half of that stuff and can’t find 300 gold to buy a commander tag then I don’t know what to tell you

in WvW

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

i want to point out i know 300g sounds like a lot but when i commanded yak wanted to pay for my tag. so honestly if you are doing your job your sever will back you up.

^ i turn them down grinded WvW for 3 months to buy my tag myself XD

in WvW

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

i don’t belive 300 g is a lot if you play wvw only , but probably on lower tiers is harder to get money
i personaly get 30 + daily from wvw and probably over 150 in weekend in wvw, yet there are also costs

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

tags are used quite a lot in pve as well.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Really what is the problem?

I basically only play WvWvW nowadays. I still got 600+ gold. So getting that 300 g from WvWvW isn’t impossible, even for a casual player who has full time work and busy family life. Where does the money from WvWvW? Do your dailies, karma train, harvest all the nodes and sell all the stuff you don’t need. Selling materials alone can bring a lot of gold.

The number of badges suggested for commander tag is way too low. Did you know that 100 g is roughly 10000 badges of honor? So 300 g should be about 30000 badges. I know that amount takes a LONG while to obtain without EotM, probably 1 year or more. I absolutely hate EotM and refuse to play there, still I got over 55k badges.

What we need is much more different items which can be bought with WvWvW specific currencies, mainly badges and proofs of heroics. WvWvW should have vendors to buy ascended armor, weapons and an ascended backbag. This would also bring more players to WvWvW.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

With all the time you waste to get full ascended for WvW + Full infusions and food/siege for the next year, you will have enough good for a tag. 300g isnt that much.