Why can't sentries be, you know, sentries?

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

So we have these sentries out in the field, supposedly keeping an eye out; like sentries do, but really they’re just there to be killed.

My 5 year old posed this question to me the other night when he was running around the BL with me. He said, “so what are these?” I then went on to explain they were sentries and what sentries do, but then I started to think about WvW sentries.

Why do sentries not act more like sentries? We have these items in EotM that broadcast opponents movements until they are destroyed, so why can’t sentries do the same thing, or something close to the same? The disappearance of an icon is not enough imo.

WvW has some amazing resources that could be used so much more fully than they are, and yet even things that a 5 year old can see(and would make things much more immersive) aren’t used to their potential.

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Noobs have got their troubles to kill them, so they get a kill in every now and then. Also they bring a dolly health to ~ half, coupled with some mobs that dolly dies.
But most importantly, they move when an enemy comes along.

in WvW

Posted by: DiscoJacen.1590

DiscoJacen.1590

I do agree that sentries are underused.
From what I understand they will have a much more important role in Hot maps like holding dolyaks in place and be much harder to kill.

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

I was always hoping sentries would evolve into something like DAoC patrol guards that broadcast a message about the number of enemies in the area when they die. Sure there would be ways to abuse the mechanic for a little trickery but zergs are hard to control and the comm that keeps his army from attacking sentries or can pull off a double feint deserves the reward of confused defenders.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

My opinion is…
Nobody at Anet loves WvW like we do. We have no champion there. It’s sad, but I gt the impression we’re in some kind of papered-over maintenance mode. That’s why I believe nothing significant, such as the sentries, will change despite the “Golem Rush”.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

in WvW

Posted by: DiscoJacen.1590

DiscoJacen.1590

Sadly I think that too. The game mode could have been made better with super easy steps that aren’t even discussed officialy. And then we get “special” events that basically is just “hey see that siege weapon you all think is broken and cheap? Well let’s buff it for the week!”.

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

I really just don’t see how a company that made such a good game can’t support one of the official game modes better. Even though our numbers are less than the PvE numbers we still exist, and make up a good portion of the GW2 playerbase. I would hazard a guess that in hours/person we make up far more of their playerbase than they think. And I would bet that if they made gemstore items that were geared more towards WvW we would probably purchase them in larger numbers than they might think.

Let’s face it the game is good, but in all honesty it could be so much better, and more successful if ANet spent a bit more time doing a few little things. QoL things that shouldn’t be too terribly hard to implement.