Why does Range dominate?

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: DirtyHoudini.2917

DirtyHoudini.2917

Being a melee in WvWvW is near suicidal. Going up close just means you’re the first to get focused which means that the only possible way to have a chance to survive would be to outnumber and zerg them

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: Zelthios.5902

Zelthios.5902

Range is always a better option in War. Why do you think we invented guns?

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: DirtyHoudini.2917

DirtyHoudini.2917

This is a fantastic response to a video game balancing question. Forcing everyone to play range because it is the better option in war. The range classes don’t benefit at all from this obviously. /sarcasm

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: addexfoe.9364

addexfoe.9364

This is a fantastic response to a video game balancing question. Forcing everyone to play range because it is the better option in war. The range classes don’t benefit at all from this obviously. /sarcasm

Do you have some kind of proposal?

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: Zelthios.5902

Zelthios.5902

There aren’t any ranged classes. Everyone and I do mean everyone has the ability to use ranged. Whether you choose to fully utilize this is up to you honestly. Melee does more upfront damage from what I’ve seen. Why do you fully expect to survive going into melee range of that many people? I don’t complain about dieing when I rambo off the keep wall into a mindless zerg and then die because I expect that outcome.

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: Diablo.9301

Diablo.9301

Because Guild Wars 2 lacks tanks (as in high armored professions that can penetrate ‘trench’ lines) and healers to back them up.

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: hashinshin.9271

hashinshin.9271

Because Guild Wars 2 lacks tanks (as in high armored professions that can penetrate ‘trench’ lines) and healers to back them up.

thank god.

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: Thagyr.4136

Thagyr.4136

Our server melee have figured out that they if they move in a mass when charging into the enemy raid they can control the fight somewhat. The first reaction for many ranged is to back off if they see anyone with a greatsword swinging a few feet away from them. Usually there is a guardian or two sprouting reflects/pulling enemies in to put a real damper on a day for many a ranged.

Melee by design does more upfront damage at the expense of being exposed to damage. I play an engineer and I’ve been destroyed by melee in a few short seconds compared to any ranged I’ve fought against.

This sorta falls off in sieges however seeing as melee can’t fly up on the walls. So they just tend to stop reinforcements getting through and leave the ranged to attack the walls/gates.

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: bartsimpsons.6135

bartsimpsons.6135

organised group melee charges are effective. ive seen organised guilds charge larger unorganised zergs from the side and drive them off/ kill many of them.

if you run in as a melee all by yourself you are going to stand out and everyone will focus fire you. if you run in as a group of melee it makes the enemy panic and die because there are too many people too deal with

in sieges, yeh melee kind of sucks unless there are people to fight through the gate

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: GaiusJuliusCasear.7253

GaiusJuliusCasear.7253

A good ranger with high precision and high strength will do a ton of damage. The short bow shoots a lot faster. I am only level 16 and was taking down people easily in WvW. My bow was lvl 12 and hitting 250-350-450 critical hits. My critical hit percentage is 44%. Which means I have almost a 50/50 shot of going crit. I am a horribly low level. Now imagine that at level 80 doing say 1300 crits. That is a bit much. However, ranged units have a natural advantage in war. Yet, if you get a melee that flanks me while my attention is in front. Than I am dead in seconds.

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: NixZero.7540

NixZero.7540

A good ranger with high precision and high strength will do a ton of damage. The short bow shoots a lot faster. I am only level 16 and was taking down people easily in WvW.

the thruth about how gear and stats scales with the level boost is that at really low levels you get to do a kittenton of damage, a lot more than any non-uberly geared lvl 80.
you just lack flexibility.

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: NixZero.7540

NixZero.7540

Being a melee in WvWvW is near suicidal. Going up close just means you’re the first to get focused which means that the only possible way to have a chance to survive would be to outnumber and zerg them

sorry, I dont get this “melee” thing.
whats a melee?
everybody get to have at least two set of weapons (or multiple kits or multiple attunements), so everybody can be proficent at both melee and ranged combat.
when your enemy is farther, use your ranged skill, when is nearer, use your melee skills.
this for any profession.

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

This guy is sokittenright, topic already won.

btw i think everyone can deal damage at distance, but if they are close to you just swap weps.

I took an arrow to the knee

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: bluescape.9176

bluescape.9176

Of course by that logic, archers should have about a dozen shots, and firearms should require super long reloads between each shot. I admit that I do sometimes feel as though I just stand around a lot on my warrior in wvw. People don’t even need to focus me in any large battle, I just die if I enter the aoe no man’s land. Speccing to be a ranged warrior might be a kinda sorta option, but then why not just roll a ranger?

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: Lawbringer.1956

Lawbringer.1956

If you are melee and not built tanky you are doing it wrong, i always see good melee basically controlling the battlefield, as the entire enemy zerg will try to take them down and are never able to

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: Desterion.6407

Desterion.6407

Because greatsword warriors, thats why. Everyone else has to go range to counter these noobs

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: Xonal.5426

Xonal.5426

Melee works in WvW, it just tends to require reliance on gtfo-cooldowns and spotting windows of being able to jump into an enemy zerg.

As an example Thieves can get into a group of enemies fairly simply and without much fear of not being able to get out as being able to shadowstep in and have 8 seconds to return to your original location breaking any CC / removing conditions creates that window anytime it is off cooldown.

There is one situation however where the suicidal part comes true and that is vs organized groups of players (as opposed to your regular zerg) as the added coordination can cause problems for your ability to gtfo — also I did come up against a Russian guild that had 30-40 people pretty much spamming any AoE ability that had everywhere, going within 1200 range of their group, cooldowns or not was insta-death.

Why does Range dominate?

in WvW

Posted by: Fugly.5287

Fugly.5287

Melee works fine in WvW, it just requires teamwork and coordination.