Why is WvW so bad?

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Glad Wing Pomp.1940

Glad Wing Pomp.1940

It’s a mystery to me why we jumped into these week long matchups when there was absolutely no way to tell which servers would have large off-peak hour populations. Whoever thought it was a good idea to go from 24 hours to 7 days obviously made a wrong decision. Why not do a few cycles of 3-day matchups to account for WvW populations during all hours?

If we have to go through months of these week long cycles to sort out these matchmaking issues, I feel that many people will just give up on WvW because Arenanet has created a toxic environment with these poor matchmaking decisions. There isn’t enough incentive for players on servers who’ve woken up and lost all of their towers to spend hours out of their day attempting to retake fully upgraded and heavily fortified positions. It costs more coin and time than it should and the payoff is usually a failed assault because by this time the winning team has already gained a significant advantage through orbs (which need to be removed or changed significantly), upgrades, and map control.

There’s also the issue of player “pop-in” having certain objects not draw until they’re close enough to you, in extreme cases causing some ranged classes to take free shots at you without risk of retaliation because you can’t see them for several seconds while you frantically press “Tab” to target these phantom players.

I’m sure nothing will be done about these issues and I’d be better off waiting 3-6 months before playing WvW again.

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: DJPenguin.6945

DJPenguin.6945

not a fan of the 7 day cycle either. my server pretty much won within the first day back on Friday i believe it was, and since then during off-hours the other two servers control maybe a camp and a tower each day. quite the snooze fest.

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Winston.2489

Winston.2489

WvW isn’t bad. Servers that give up entirely are bad. ArenaNet has created a competitive environment that most people are apparently unable to deal with yet. There is no reason a WvW map should ever be completely dominated by one server. The only reason you see that now is because of morale. Many have said it before, but really, people just need to be brave and TRY. People are for some reason expecting ANet to ‘balance’ WvW, when the responsibility lies solely on them and on the other people in their server. So what if you are up against a ‘better’ server? They might win in the end but there’s no reason not to try. Not trying is what will ruin WvW.

Isle of Janthir, Sea of Sorrows, stop being lame. Coordinate. Make small parties and cut off supply routes. Work together. Listen to each other. If you have logged on to this forum and complained about your server, you wasted your time. You should have been on your map chat getting people organized. Guild Leaders, WTH are you doing out there? It doesn’t matter if you can’t get a lot of people from your guild online at once. You are supposed to be leaders, so LEAD your servers. There is no reason ten of us should be able to hold off 20-30 of you on your spawn steps. That is just pure cowardice. We are not invincible. RUN AT US AND USE YOUR ATTACK SKILLS! TRY! The only way to win in a competitive environment is to COMPETE. So what if you don’t win? You can at least have the satisfaction of knowing you prevented a ‘better’ server from just running all over your lands, making fools of you.

Eredon Terrace Invader

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Borlis Pass had proven to Ehmry Bay that they can recuperate enough to take back their homeworld towers and garrison from Ehmry Bay after we annihilated Borlis Pass and Fergusson Crossing.

Then again, we took back what they stolen once again too easily, we took the garrison with only one flame ram and 10-20 zerglings.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Bdsteelers.2567

Bdsteelers.2567

Its so bad cause you probably follow the zerg zerg = fail people need to learn to pvp split up and attack different locations would make it a lot more fun and more points zergs always leads to numbers winning if you split and attack different locations causes them to have to split their zerg and makes it more even

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Xzen.2160

Xzen.2160

WvW isn’t bad. Servers that give up entirely are bad. ArenaNet has created a competitive environment that most people are apparently unable to deal with yet. There is no reason a WvW map should ever be completely dominated by one server. The only reason you see that now is because of morale. Many have said it before, but really, people just need to be brave and TRY. People are for some reason expecting ANet to ‘balance’ WvW, when the responsibility lies solely on them and on the other people in their server. So what if you are up against a ‘better’ server? They might win in the end but there’s no reason not to try. Not trying is what will ruin WvW.

Isle of Janthir, Sea of Sorrows, stop being lame. Coordinate. Make small parties and cut off supply routes. Work together. Listen to each other. If you have logged on to this forum and complained about your server, you wasted your time. You should have been on your map chat getting people organized. Guild Leaders, WTH are you doing out there? It doesn’t matter if you can’t get a lot of people from your guild online at once. You are supposed to be leaders, so LEAD your servers. There is no reason ten of us should be able to hold off 20-30 of you on your spawn steps. That is just pure cowardice. We are not invincible. RUN AT US AND USE YOUR ATTACK SKILLS! TRY! The only way to win in a competitive environment is to COMPETE. So what if you don’t win? You can at least have the satisfaction of knowing you prevented a ‘better’ server from just running all over your lands, making fools of you.

Part of this is just not true. There is no que on my server for WvW simply because most of the PvPers moved to servers that were ranked at the top of Anets list. Before that list came out we did alright. I still manage to pop into WvW to farm for my monthly but that’s about it until we get some PvP guilds that move back because they are tired of the long que times.

(edited by Xzen.2160)

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Dhar.6392

Dhar.6392

It sucks because nobody wants to defend. Supply camps are the life blood of game. Without it you can’t upgrade, build siege, or Win. Fact is nobody wants to stand post and protect them. “Why should I waste my gaming time getting no badges while everyone else fights for glory on the front lines?”

Sure- if that’s how you feel and nobody bothers to defend the Supply camp; you have only yourself to blame for consistently losing.

Same goes for those you take supply from a tower/keep that is being upgraded- slowing down the process because they were too lazy to go by the supply depot or somewhere else that wasn’t being upgraded to get it.

It’s not just overwhelming odds; but overwhelming stupidity of a huge chunk of the players that is demoralizing.

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: kefro.9312

kefro.9312

Im just sad cause me and my friends just waited 10 months for this and what we get was a broken wvwvw, we are disapointed

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Rodarin.6058

Rodarin.6058

It sucks because nobody wants to defend. Supply camps are the life blood of game. Without it you can’t upgrade, build siege, or Win. Fact is nobody wants to stand post and protect them. “Why should I waste my gaming time getting no badges while everyone else fights for glory on the front lines?”

Sure- if that’s how you feel and nobody bothers to defend the Supply camp; you have only yourself to blame for consistently losing.

Same goes for those you take supply from a tower/keep that is being upgraded- slowing down the process because they were too lazy to go by the supply depot or somewhere else that wasn’t being upgraded to get it.

It’s not just overwhelming odds; but overwhelming stupidity of a huge chunk of the players that is demoralizing.

taking the rewards away for protecting the guys signaled the end of that. But I still dokitten when I can, but in most cases when a side is making a move they send a lot of people to kill them, so you need to put a lot of people on them, thats where population advantages really start to show. if one side has enough to do everything…scout, kill cows, take supply depots outright, build siege, run supplies, protect their own cows, AND have a zerg force out causing enough mayhem to starve what few supplies the other server(s) can run then that is the main problem.

You can run a ‘perfect’ battle plan, but when you dont have the manpower it doesn’t matter.

The list of reasons why WvW is bad is long and not too hard to figure out. But the ‘winners’ come on here and say all is well ‘learn to play’ the losers just dont care anymore, and the ones trying to have a decent experience dont get any credit.

maybe when the Panda comes out and Rift expansion and Rohan comes out the population will collapse enough to see it change, but I doubt it. If it does it will just be a short hiatus for sure. Anet has to make the changes, some wont be popular but if they want the game to be close to what they envisioned it being they have to happen.

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Winston.2489

“Im just sad cause me and my friends just waited 10 months for this and what we get was a broken wvwvw, we are disapointed.”

What exactly is broken? Besides maybe the orbs being a bit OP? Losing doesn’t mean the game is broken, it means your strategy or your morale is broken. Why are you waiting for more PvP guilds to join your server so that it does well? That’s not a good way to get ahead. If your strategy to win is to wait for ‘better’ players to come on to your server and win for you then you just simply don’t deserve to win anything. Sorry to say but it’s true. SoS and IoJ could learn a lot from this matchup if they put in some effort. It isn’t just about numbers. I started on Blackgate in the beginning, a server which always had a Q no matter what time of day it was. BG dominated in its first few match ups, but was completely destroyed once it was matched against two servers that were actually organized. BG had given up, and had almost no presence on the map, but the Qs were still hours long. That means the maps were full but no one was trying.
It has also been demonstrated that 10 people can hold off a 40 person zerg if they know what they are doing. So try that! Practice. Learn from ET or whatever other server is winning, try hard and learn more for next time. I guarantee that if your server loses against ET, but actually tries while doing it that they will dominate their next matchup. If matchups were 1v1v1v1, ET would be up against the top three servers and not the 5th and 6th best servers, which maybe would be more even. You guys got stuck with ET and you have to deal with it. The way you are dealing with it now is sad.

We spawn camp you because it is FUN. It is fun to know that we scare you. You being scared is why we are able to do it.

Eredon Terrace Invader

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: kefro.9312

kefro.9312

Ppl migrating to the wining server just make the queue times like 5h and the wining server just play world vs gates vs npcs cause the other servers dont have players 24/7.
Did u understand?

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Winston.2489

SoS and IoJ have players 24/7 as far as I’ve seen. SoS wrecked us when we were still on 24 hr matches, late at night (from an East Coast US perspective). I don’t know where they went or what they are doing, but they exist.

Eredon Terrace Invader

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Rhase.2047

Rhase.2047

I have a hard time believing WvW is balanced when the winner is always massively outscoring the other 2 opponents. Spawn camping and other morale crushing tactics are what cause people to lose interest in even trying; they just take the free transfer to a gravy train server where the Qs are full and they tend to win. Even when my server wins, the other two servers just give up. Whenever someone has an advantage, the other servers just give up. The longer the matches, the more of an issue this will be. People might jump in when they’re down by 20k …. but not by over 150k. At that point you’re just being spawn camped and struggling to maintain a tally over 50 lol. They see “Holy crap, they’re attacking a camp! OTHER PLAYERS ZOMG! ZERG RUSH FOR MEDALS!”

I’m not being whiny, I’m the stubborn idiot who tries to fight anyway, but. It is what it is. Never a close fight, either win by a mile or get absolutely crushed. I hope other people have had different experiences _

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Pradton.8576

Pradton.8576

My biggest disappointment with the world vs world system is the amount of obnoxious aoe everywhere. You have carts, catapults, canon, and profession aoes constantly. Aoe, Aoe, Aoe, Aoe… over and over again. Then you have thieves and warriors spinning to win, which is another aoe.

The sad thing is how these sort of things happened in other games, yet Anet repeats them here… I am utterly uninterested in world vs world atm. The central reason i bought this game. This stupid aoes need a longer cooldown on pvp or something, so people can actually fight in an interesting matter.

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Winston.2489

ET couldn’t spawn camp HoD when we played them because HoD plays better than IoJ and SoS. You can’t spawn camp people who want to win. The people who don’t jump in when they are that far behind don’t care enough to learn how to win, they just want to play while their server is winning. You can make your own guilds and alliances that are good, and build your own momentum. Just keep at it the game has only been out a month. When you feel outnumbered, play guerrilla defense. Communicate with each other. Make parties of 5 that work with other parties of 5.

Eredon Terrace Invader

Why is WvW so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Rodarin.6058

Rodarin.6058

guerilla tactics dont make the server better or effect the score. I go and kill cows and guard points all day somewhere. It MIGHT help if the supplies are actually needed but not when the map is all one color and everyone has left it. You can have a small group go take every supply camp on the map but rest assured the populated server with 3 times as many people as the other two servers combined take them right back before the timer for score keeping goes off.

So I stopped taking supply depots and just farm karma and event points by killing cows and taking control points. You dont get noticed especially if youre deep in enemy territory.

So it basically makes the PvP map a PvE endeavor. You might possibly see a person on a run to grab some supplies but if you kill him and stick around you usually end up seeing 20 people looking for you, a lone guy.

thats what happens when one server can put a lot more players in WvW than the other servers, and this is the top tier, I have a hard tme thinking that Jade Quarry and Stormbluff Isle are hurting for players on their servers, yet they are constantly outnumbered by Henge of Denravi.