Why is the wvw loot so bad?

in WvW

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

I mean, I keep getting level 7 loot on a level 80 character in there.. and same for low level salvage items and such. Thats just ridiculous..

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

Ya, I really don’t know why boosted characters drop items at their true level. Pretty dumb.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: kujalord.5849

kujalord.5849

you get an item that is below your level very much is because the enemy you kill invader/defender is not level 80
that is from my experience because i play a thief and the 1st enemy die under my dagger is mostly those who is not level 80
It drops according to the level of mobs/enemy you killed

ruby
[SONG]

in WvW

Gasoline.2570

Well that’s just stupid. Theyre punishing higher level players for killing lower level ones? If you cant handle wvw then don’t be here, why arenanet thinks this is a good idea? it just prevents from people actually getting money in wvw thus making pve more so profitable thus making people not want to play wvw because, well, it gives nothing in return.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

in WvW

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

Because we get money when upgrading keeps.

Oh, wait…

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Aargadon.4135

Lord Aargadon.4135

Everyone knows loot is crap, I have recieved 3 rares and both of my exotic drops after all of the times I spend in WvW, two of the rares came off briar keep champion oddly, another of the bay champion and the exotics off a player, it was a spear with a shovel skin:‘( and the sentry outside of SE supply camp (Firelighter torch), and the BoH doesn’t help either, so the most I can say is everyone feels the same and wait for Anet to redeem themselves with WvW update in Feb.

in WvW

Posted by: FourTwenty.4268

FourTwenty.4268

you get an item that is below your level very much is because the enemy you kill invader/defender is not level 80
that is from my experience because i play a thief and the 1st enemy die under my dagger is mostly those who is not level 80

but if i kill a level 80 as a lowbie, i dont get level 80 gear do i?

in WvW

Posted by: Raincrow.1840

Raincrow.1840

Because the players get what the majority asks for in the MMO world, and PvP / WvW is made up of people willing to take trash reward systems that PvE players would never stand for.

Crystal Desert; The Viking Server
When are people going to figure out there’s a war going on?

in WvW

Gasoline.2570

but if i kill a level 80 as a lowbie, i dont get level 80 gear do i?

No but loot scaling should, well, scale with your level. You never get over your level gear as lowbie, as you shouldn’t. What a dumb argument. How are hardcore wvw’ers supposed to get money to upgrade stuff when all they get is crap loot with no value.

in WvW

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

The statement that only crap loot drops is a bit exagerated. Yes if there’s a lot of low level enemies about you get crap drops, but they’re also weaker opponents. I’ve also had evenings where lvl 80 exotic and a few rares dropped for me in a playsession of 2 hours.
Of course there’s room for improvement which they also anounced they’re working on.

(edited by holska.4127)

in WvW

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

Anet doesn’t want people to be farming WvW maybe.

Or maybe organized efforts where 2 servers kill each other for drops.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in WvW

Posted by: dutchusuk.2801

dutchusuk.2801

@holska, your a lucky guy with your exotic.
Green/blue drops a lot and sometimes a rare but i don’t complain its enough to cover the cost of repairs/siege/upgrades and make a few gold every day.

Euc Alypta – Necromancer – Dynasty Warriors / The Northern Assembly – DW / TNA
Far Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

The statement that only crap loot drops is a bit exagerated. Yes if there’s a lot of low level enemies about you get crap drops, but they’re also weaker opponents. I’ve also had evenings where lvl 80 exotic and a few rares dropped for me in a playsession of 2 hours.
Of course there’s room for improvement which they also anounced they’re working on.

Not always true. Due to crooked scaling a lower level player can deal more damage than a level 80.

Lower levels can also man siege just as well as an 80.

If you try to kill a level 50 in the middle of a zerg of 80’s… he’s not going to be much easier to kill. This isn’t 1v1… this is WvW.

In few cases does the loot actually scale properly with the difficulty of killing the lower level player.

I also have NO control over other players joining into WvW before they are 80… so why am I being punished for their decision?

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in WvW

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Lower levels most certainly do not do more damage. My lowbies barely put a dent in real 80s.

Buff up lowbies and then we can talk about leveling drops.

in WvW

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

Drops should have nothing to do with the level of target. We cannot choose who come to play on opposite side.

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in WvW

Posted by: kanikani.2430

kanikani.2430

What is most ironic about this is, take your level 80 to a level 15 zone, you will get mostly level 70-80 drops. So you actually get better drops farming one hit moa’s in starter areas then farming lower level players in wvw.

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

in WvW

Gasoline.2570

What is most ironic about this is, take your level 80 to a level 15 zone, you will get mostly level 70-80 drops. So you actually get better drops farming one hit moa’s in starter areas then farming lower level players in wvw.

This has never been my experience. What I get is map appropriate loot, like level 1-15 loot from queensdale no matter if my char is 80 or not. I wish I was getting level 70-80 drops in lower zones, would give me a little incentive to go back there,.

in WvW

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

You get a very rare exotic or rare… but the rest is “oh great my inventory is full of barbs”.

I wouldn’t mind some mats being dropped more often in there.

in WvW

Raincrow.1840

This has never been my experience. What I get is map appropriate loot, like level 1-15 loot from queensdale no matter if my char is 80 or not. I wish I was getting level 70-80 drops in lower zones, would give me a little incentive to go back there,.

You do get high level loot from low level mobs if you’re on a high level character. You also get the low level loot, but sometimes it’s scaled to your own level (Unless it’s changed within the last few weeks). Or maybe you just havn’t tried it enough or been unlucky.

in WvW

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

I have seen like 3 or 4 pre-legendary weapons drop in about a month, and that’s just my guild.

I don’t think those are lame items?

I get rares and exotics often, you prolly are just not lucky?

Guess it’s just the objective, I play because I like to break some heads, some play for the loot.

(edited by Yamiino.1827)

in WvW

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

You get a very rare exotic or rare… but the rest is “oh great my inventory is full of barbs”.

I wouldn’t mind some mats being dropped more often in there.

Which is a good point, actually: why do humans drop thorns and barbs when I kill them?

Re: loot scaling in PvE: 100% fact. I do my daily quests in low level areas (1-40) specifically to spend an hour or so helping low leveled players out. I get gear appropriate to the zone occasionally and gear in the level 65-80 range often (most is around level 76).

Re: loot in WvW being bad: it’s really not. From players it’s really lame and boring, but you get T6 material drops fairly often from the random monsters. I sometimes swap out one of my rings for a Magic Find one while defending camps just to hit the nearby monsters in between zerg rushes. ~10% MF gave me way more material drops than my buddy that had none on over the course of three days. My only complaint is that some camps are boring as there’s no creatures near them (I’m looking at you Rogue’s Quarry).

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

I have seen like 3 or 4 pre-legendary weapons drop in about a month, and that’s just my guild.

Guess it’s just the objective, I play because I like to break some heads, some play for the loot.

Can you define often? Out of 3k WvW kills I’ve gotten 3 rares and no exotics, with wearing mf gear most of the time. Then again I’ve been playing since launch and have been lvl 80 for awhile, but still don’t have enough money to get my one and only main char in full exotics so maybe I just suck at MMOs.

in WvW

Posted by: Novalight.7568

Novalight.7568

Well none of the people from my guild ever got one precursor, and we’re in WvW a lot. I can get 100 badges in 3-4 hours no problems, but item loot is utter crap, rares drop…well, very very rarely, and since the headstart I personally only got 2 exotics as a drop.

You’re right, for some WvW is just extra, but for ppl that don’t PvE that loot and few silvers from taking stuff is their main income. Now go buy dem golems and upgrade stuff with it + make superiors.

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien
“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee

in WvW

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

I don’t think people even drop precursors in WvW.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in WvW

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

Barbs and spikes, and barbs and spikes, and barbs and spikes, and.. Oh a sharp talon!

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

in WvW

Posted by: Hekatombaion.4320

Hekatombaion.4320

I haven’t thought about it for at least a month but I regularly get level 60 rewards for killing actual level 80 characters. The random animals around the map actually drop mats rather consistently and the level 82 guards aren’t really difficult kills when unmolested by players so you can get some nice farm on that way.

The only actual reward I get from killing players specifically would be badges and the intrinsic value of “I just beat a horde of sentient beings that were trying to stop me.”

If I want money in WvW my only option is to roll with a zerg that is trying to speed cap a bunch of points in a map before defenders show up. It ends up being enough money to buy a lot of the smaller upgrades but I can’t imagine I would hit drop reduction like that.

Italucuc[KH] – 80 Mesmer – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Gasoline.2570

Barbs and spikes, and barbs and spikes, and barbs and spikes, and.. Oh a sharp talon!

^

You do get high level loot from low level mobs if you’re on a high level character. You also get the low level loot, but sometimes it’s scaled to your own level (Unless it’s changed within the last few weeks). Or maybe you just havn’t tried it enough or been unlucky.

This is just mind boggling. Tell you what, I’ll go farm 18 slot bags full with my MF gear in queensdale and kessex hill and I’ll screenshot what I get.

Edit: there you go. Top is queensdale, bottom is kessex. There was only 1 level 76 item which was Travelers krytan mace with magic find – rest was worthless junk and low level mats. Dat loot scaling. Not to mention the awfully low drop rate where 3-6 mobs = 1 item.

Attachments:

(edited by Gasoline.2570)

in WvW

Kerithlan.1659

You have exceptionally poor luck then, as I regularly find level ~76 blues in Queensdale. It was at the point once where my bag was literally filled with nothing but 76 blue cabalist gear.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

What is most ironic about this is, take your level 80 to a level 15 zone, you will get mostly level 70-80 drops.

This. Theres a clear inconsistency here. I hope this isn’t deliberate by anet because if anything loot should be better in WvW to get people to play it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Forsaken.2167

Forsaken.2167

In a microtransaction game, the loot system is a business plan. The GW2 loot system is there not for your enjoyment but to ensure that the players don’t receive too much. Sorry that is just the cold hard truth and I can’t say I blame them. If you were a developer trying to make money on microtransactions you have to be sure people aren’t getting filthy rich in one of the most fun/popular parts of the game like W3.

Moderators make the best Trolls.

in WvW

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

I don’t think people even drop precursors in WvW.

Who said people did?

NPCs do drop pre-legendaries, and I have seen them, lords mostly.

@The person that asked me to define often: probably 3-4 a day.

I have geared two of my characters mostly from wvw fights :o

in WvW

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

I stopped to play the game for some time because of this. I get 1k kill and I needed to go to a dungeon to get some good items.

in WvW

Posted by: Hyde.6189

Hyde.6189

Well that’s just stupid. Theyre punishing higher level players for killing lower level ones? If you cant handle wvw then don’t be here, why arenanet thinks this is a good idea?

lol. How exactly are you being ‘punished’? Low-level players are easier to kill, so it seems pretty reasonable that they’ll give lesser loot. Most of the players in WvW are 80 anyway so most of them should give you high-level stuff, unless all your capable of is ganking lowbies.

And regardless of level it’s all just vendor junk anyway, so it’s not like it makes a huge difference. WvW will never be the most effective way of making money.

in WvW

Posted by: Spartyr.6795

Spartyr.6795

WvW is the biggest time and money sink in the game atm (except maybe Legendary grinding, but at least then you get something out of it).

I have fun. I play all the time, but if you try and help drop siege, purchase upgrades, and take care of your own repairs it gets expensive. The crap loot doesn’t help much.

Spartyr – Norn Thief
[GSCH] Gaiscioch Gaming Community

in WvW

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

I assume that player-dropped loot is tightly controlled due to the potential for consensual farming. I also assume that there is some kind of heavy diminishing returns on killing the same guy over and over to prevent this, but I haven’t tried it.

Still, even with how bad the loot is it’d probably be quite profitable for 50-man guilds on opposing servers to have badge swapping nights where they all get naked and die to eachother in an organized fashion. The GW2 system means they don’t even have to go to spawn, just let one guy revive everyone and repeat. Pretty sure if player loot was anything like, say, level 80 PvE mob loot, we’d see this 24/7.

in WvW

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Rares need to drop more. Spikes need to be worth more. That is all really. Let’s not go all crazy being victims.

If I play for a couple hours I should get a rare, as I would get a few grinding pve mobs. Simply increase yheir chance to drop off players. That way people won’t go there to farm animals.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in WvW

Posted by: Tulisin.6945

Tulisin.6945

If they actually wanted to incentivize objective-based combat then they’d reward not only taking objectives (sort of done already via structure champion loot), but holding them as well. Passive rewards for continuing to hold onto objectives, like hourly chests, would go a long way towards encouraging fortification and defense, but the current WvW landscape wouldn’t really support it for a number of reasons.

Brainstorming here, but a hybridized system wherein enemy players drop keys to chests that are spawned in keeps could ensure that WvW participation is required to reap “passive” territorial rewards. WvW’s “The only thing that matters is the overall score” reward system is very bad for morale, whereas if defending a single keep, tower, and supply camp can bring in passive benefits there will be people willing to fight a battle even if they know they won’t win the war.

(edited by Tulisin.6945)

in WvW

Raincrow.1840

In a microtransaction game, the loot system is a business plan. The GW2 loot system is there not for your enjoyment but to ensure that the players don’t receive too much. Sorry that is just the cold hard truth and I can’t say I blame them. If you were a developer trying to make money on microtransactions you have to be sure people aren’t getting filthy rich in one of the most fun/popular parts of the game like W3.

If that were true you wouldn’t be able to get rich doing any types of content. Why is WvW one of the few types of content that gets treated like a gold sink?

in WvW

Posted by: Opacus.4390

Opacus.4390

Please remove grey items as drops, they are just rubbish anyway and just an bagfiller. Give moneybags insted of this kind of crap. As in droprate WvW it can be better, a lot of costs are made by upgrading, repairing gear etc… Strange is that Fract or any other kind of dungeon are moneymakers and A-Net is giving sound to those kind of players. But those who just pvp/wvw are left behind.

in WvW

Posted by: pigtaro.2749

pigtaro.2749

I drop sieges like crazy n I still earn even gold to upgrade all my gears. Even feel rich even to spend 2 gold to upgrade sm once a while when it needs to be done. A tip maybe, sell ur loot to black lion first, u may get a lot more money for items that u think are crappy.

in WvW

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

WvW drops are bad so they will be on par with the entire rest of the game.

Badness for everyone.

-Desirz Matheon

in WvW

Posted by: Hyde.6189

Hyde.6189

Also, it’s worth pointing out that it is possible to get lvl 80 exotic items dropped in WvW. I’ve got some 80 exotic gloves from a player, and an 80 exotic longbow which I believe dropped from a tower lord. Of course, this doesn’t happen often…

in WvW

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

Why don’t give items when cap some tower/castle/fort?

You receive XP and Karma, give some random items too.

in WvW

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Makes sense a low level guy is going to drop low level equipment. I mean thats what they would carry right??

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Kerithlan.1659

Makes sense a low level guy is going to drop low level equipment. I mean thats what they would carry right??

“Ha I just killed that level 5 warrior and he dropped his Mighty Country Boots! Score!”

in WvW

Posted by: Uberlicious.3956

Uberlicious.3956

i’ve gotten a precurser drop from an SoS invader so i really have no complaints…

in WvW

Posted by: Foss.4830

Foss.4830

i’ve gotten a precurser drop from an SoS invader so i really have no complaints…

You must consume four leaf clovers daily or something…

I agree though the drops arent always the greatest but its enough to cover repairs and basic siege (rams,arrow carts, ect) and on average I usually still make a couple gold a day. I dont spend much so I am slowly building up a nice pile of coin.

Would be nice to see a slight tweak in the drop rates though. Maybe add a rare chance for WvW gear to drop or something. Give people an incentive to actually come out to WvW.

Bluecog – Valór [RUN] – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

Just hit the 4k kill mark last night, and I’ve got a grand total of 1 low end exotic and perhaps 8-10 rares in all that play. I usually kill plenty of trash too clearing dredge, ogres, etc. in EB and to charge my sigil. The heavy loot bags do add up to something, but not nearly enough to cover the cost of helping out with upgrades or rebuilding a character with exotics…let alone daring to have a few different characters to WvW with.

in WvW

Posted by: Marlinn.6428

Marlinn.6428

11,5k kills here, and exactly 1 exotic (had it a few days ago, so was about 10k dry) and a handful of rares. Must say that I do not use any mf gear or nourishment.

Commander at the Farshiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Forsaken.2167

Forsaken.2167

If that were true you wouldn’t be able to get rich doing any types of content. Why is WvW one of the few types of content that gets treated like a gold sink?

If your suggesting that the loot system is in no way affected by their business strategy you are sorely mistaken. Why do you think they toned down the gold you received doing AC runs, people were making too much money. Even in games where the profits don’t depend on microtransactions they still have to limit what players get or it will ruin the game economy. Yes you do make more money in PVE but it is also more of a time sink. I mean they do have to reward the players, it is not like I’m saying you can never make any gold or get good items, you can but that rate is controlled for a reason.

Moderators make the best Trolls.