Why not 100G OR 10,000 Badges = Commander ??

in WvW

Posted by: Special K.8143

Special K.8143

Q:

Title says it all. For people who play exclusively in WvW, 100g gold is alot of money. Heck, even in PvE 100g is alot of money to some people. I’ve not saying make them cheap. Maybe 5,000 or 10,000 badges for a Commander book. Or maybe 5,000 badges and 10g or 20g.

2/6/2014

The recent change to the price of the Commander Manual to 100g +250 Badges of Honor is a good small step. It ensures that people spend a few hours in WvW before getting the Commander. But I don’t understand why you can’t buy a Commander Manual solely with badges?

1 badge of honor roughly equals 1 silver. So 10,000 badges = 100g. For dedicate WvW players, this could be an “High End” item to save up Badges for. Saving up 10k Badges also shows that you’ve spent your due time in WvW.

I’m not saying make this the only way to get the Commander Manual. I’m saying you you should have the option of paying 100g or 10k badges. Or just let us sell Badges to the vendor for 1 silver each.

(edited by Special K.8143)

in WvW

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Great idea, ensure that commanders have actually played some WvW.

If this were implemented then they could take off the commander suppression in WvW as no gold sellers/spammers would take that much time to earn BoH.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in WvW

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

There are already too many commanders, and plenty of them that shouldn’t be.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in WvW

Posted by: Noosfer.4875

Noosfer.4875

Nooo!!! That would bring commanders experienced on WvW!!!!

oh, wait…

Single-handed Mexican-Vietnamese mercenary. Now fighting for Piken Square, tomorrow, who knows?
Tons of chars. If only one day I manage to guess how to play any of them, I will post it here

in WvW

Posted by: SilencedScream.2167

SilencedScream.2167

There are already too many commanders, and plenty of them that shouldn’t be.

If commander status was only given to people that turned in a certain number of badges, it’d make it less frequent. Chances are, if you have 5000 badges, you probably have a good bit of money as well, anyway.

100g isn’t that difficult to come by; I’ve gathered about 15g in the past week, just messing around and doing the occasional meta-event.

So +1 to this idea; just wait until after I’ve purchased mine – I used up all of my badges already. XD

Henge of Denravi – [SAS]
Duct Tape Applied [Charr Ranger]
A Roll Of Duct Tape [Human Guardian, Commander]

in WvW

Special K.8143

i’m not saying remove the option of paying 100g and only paying in badges. I’m saying, why not have 2 options.. 100g OR 5000 badges.

in WvW

Posted by: SilencedScream.2167

SilencedScream.2167

i’m not saying remove the option of paying 100g and only paying in badges. I’m saying, why not have 2 options.. 100g OR 5000 badges.

I see that now; but, hell, I’d rather they remove the 100g option altogether. I’d prefer having commanders that MUST have spent time in WvW, as opposed to people who just farmed PvE a lot – as it seems most of the commanders are worthless in the first place.

Henge of Denravi – [SAS]
Duct Tape Applied [Charr Ranger]
A Roll Of Duct Tape [Human Guardian, Commander]

in WvW

Posted by: D W.5179

D W.5179

This is a great idea with one caveat:
-100g should buy a PvE commander book
-5000 badges should buy a WvW commander book

in WvW

Posted by: Daemonne.5018

Daemonne.5018

Title says it all. For people who play exclusively in WvW, 100g gold is alot of money. Heck, even in PvE 100g is alot of money to some people. I’ve not saying make them cheap. Maybe 5,000 or 10,000 badges for a Commander book. Or maybe 5,000 badges and 10g or 20g.

I am in total agreement with commander tags being bought with Badges or a Badge/WXP mix

I would like to take it a step further and maybe offer two types of Commander Manuals.
One that could be bought with Laurels and Gold for the PVE territories (why punish those who like to show off their PVE status, also could be good for leading groups in big world challenges)
The PVE tag could be colored different and Not Accessible while in the mists, where as the PVP Commander Tag could only be activated in the mists.

If a change like this was to come about, I think the first time you log in after the change takes place and attempt to activate your commander tag, you would get a pop up screen requesting you to choose which tag you wish to own (add in TWO ARE YOU SURE popups after to give ample warning that once you choose, there is no switching back. Then nobody would have cause to bug the Devs for an oops I messed up and didn’t know mulligan)

Just my 2cents on the subject

Edit: I have no thoughts on exactly just how much gold/badges, just don’t make it too easy.

Edit: Thanks to Zikory reminding me about the WXP system now in place I have changed gold to WXP in my post.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

(edited by Daemonne.5018)

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnarok.4586

Ragnarok.4586

Agreed. 10k badges. I made a thread exactly like this a month or so ago, and people called me stupid.

Mekanos – Engineer | Alradian – Warrior
[FcTR] on Maguuma

in WvW

Daemonne.5018

Agreed. 10k badges. I made a thread exactly like this a month or so ago, and people called me stupid.

Probably PVE’rs who wanted access to the badges.
I’ve thought it strange since I first started doing WvW and learned what the tag was actually for.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

You can always add WXP rank into it now as well.

Personally I would change the way the commander tag works and separate the tag from PvE and WvW. Meaning you can buy the 100g tag in PvE and use it in PvE. For WvW you would need X amount of badges and X WXP rank to buy it. For those that have the badge currently get it refunded as a one time token that can be traded for either the WvW or PvE tag.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Daemonne.5018

You can always add WXP rank into it now as well.

Personally I would change the way the commander tag works and separate the tag from PvE and WvW. Meaning you can buy the 100g tag in PvE and use it in PvE. For WvW you would need X amount of badges and X WXP rank to buy it. For those that have the badge currently get it refunded as a one time token that can be traded for either the WvW or PvE tag.

Y’know, I have been pointing out WXP to the WvW “we didn’t get nuthin” naysayers and I completely overlooked how that could fit into the Commander Manual pricing.

Good lookin out!

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

If WvW commander status is meant to be character bound like WXP then make it an unlock, like the other WXP unlocks, visible only to those who already have the commander book in PvE. Leave badges out of it, since they can be acquired from puzzles and the ability to farm them isn’t highly correlated with WvW ability. Since they’re now a viable currency, a player shouldn’t have to choose between new equipment and a tag.

You could also integrate the proposed icon colour/commander ranking system into this by making this a series of unlocks:
25 points – Purchased PvE commander book (green) now enabled in WvW.
100 points – Upgrade to general (dark blue).
1000 points – Upgrade to field marshal (gold).
This would help casuals to identify experienced commanders, but it wouldn’t be so vital that commanders would be forced to farm WXP at the cost of their efficacy.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

(edited by Bertrand.3057)

in WvW

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

IMO, they should have separated the commander icons in PvE from the commander icons in WvW.

The ones usable in PvE can be purchased using 100 gold or badges or whatever, but the ones usable in WvW can ONLY be purchased using badges.
This way, we will have less PvE/inexperienced commanders in WvW.

Even worse, I’ve seen multiple times that some PvE-ers use their commander tags to show off in WvW, without intention to lead and organize people, and when the WvW commanders asked them to turn off their tag, they will refuse to do so just because they have spent 100 gold for it…. /facepalm

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: brunohstein.9038

brunohstein.9038

A commander should be an exceptional player. I would make it costs tokens of all dungeons and badges of honor.

It could also be integrated with this new WvW rank system.

in WvW

Zikory.6871

If WvW commander status is meant to be character bound like WXP then make it an unlock, like the other WXP unlocks, visible only to those who already have the commander book in PvE. Leave badges out of it, since they can be acquired from puzzles and the ability to farm them isn’t highly correlated with WvW ability. Since they’re now a viable currency, a player shouldn’t have to choose between new equipment and a tag.

You could also integrate the proposed icon colour/commander ranking system into this by making this a series of unlocks. This would help casuals to identify experienced commanders, but it wouldn’t be so vital that commanders would be forced to farm WXP at the cost of their efficacy.

The only reason I say use badges is that anet like adding more currency to new things. For example accessories for laurels – they added ectos as a currency plus the laurels. IF they were to implement something like we are suggesting I wouldn’t be surprised to see it cost 100g X badges and X WXP rank…based off what we have seen anet do so far.

Zikory – Retired Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Badges are better that gold but still doesn’t mean they know much about wvw. All it means if they know how to farm people and the jp. It needs to based on all aspects of wvw, capping, defending, and killing.

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: D W.5179

D W.5179

-New ranking system in WvW
-Issues with current WvW scores from previous free transfers
-New free transfers that will likely cause issues with WvW scores
-Issues with how commander is obtained for WvW

Can we get a reset please? Then we can fix the score issues, and use the new ranking system to dictate commanders.

in WvW

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

It needs to based on all aspects of wvw, capping, defending, and killing.

This is even better.

Yeah, basically, all WvW achievements should be considered for the ability to purchase WvW commander tag.

Meanwhile, the PvE players can still have and show off their tag in PvE area ONLY by purchasing it for 100 golds.

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

100 gold is a lot to come by in PvE. Cap’s and/or vids or it didn’t happen :-) Btw… I exclude dungeons as PvE items. They are a separate instance, literally.

For the 5k badges concept, it’s not a bad one. You do realize though the dreaded JP’ers can then become a commander in under 2 months 10K sounds a bit high though.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Zikory.6871

100 gold is a lot to come by in PvE. Cap’s and/or vids or it didn’t happen :-) Btw… I exclude dungeons as PvE items. They are a separate instance, literally.

For the 5k badges concept, it’s not a bad one. You do realize though the dreaded JP’ers can then become a commander in under 2 months 10K sounds a bit high though.

TBH In any ok to good zerg that happens to run across a few or more good fights will net you much more badges per hour then the JPs. To farm out 5k or more badges via the JP is crazy talk. IF implemented some people will farm them (because people will always farm stuff) but it wont be as easy as 100g. You can farm 100g in a week if your lucky or have the time to do so. OR drop ~$80 and bam commander. I doubt many people will think they have to run the JP for 6 months to get the tag, most wouldn’t bother.

Zikory – Retired Thief

in WvW

Special K.8143

I made a new post in the “Suggestion” forum for this topic in hopes that Devs see it and think its a good idea. If you believe in using badges as currency to buy a Commander book, please post a reply here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Commander-Manual-why-not-buy-with-Badges/first#

in WvW

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

This is a good idea in my opinion. The Gold is for PvE commanding, and the Badges could be for WvW commanding. That seems like a great idea to me.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

in WvW

Special K.8143

2/6/2014

The recent change to the price of the Commander Manual to 100g +250 Badges of Honor is a good small step. It ensures that people spend a few hours in WvW before getting the Commander. But I don’t understand why you can’t buy a Commander Manual solely with badges?

1 badge of honor roughly equals 1 silver. So 10,000 badges = 100g. For dedicate WvW players, this could be an “High End” item to save up Badges for. Saving up 10k Badges also shows that you’ve spent your due time in WvW.

I’m not saying make this the only way to get the Commander Manual. I’m saying you you should have the option of paying 100g or 10k badges. Or just let us sell Badges to the vendor for 1 silver each.

in WvW

Posted by: Warhawk.7095

Warhawk.7095

Is 10k badges really the best number here?… I’m like level 300 in wvw and have been playing wvw for like 7 months on end, ankitten owhere near 10k badges. I have no idea how many badges you get from a massive fight on a high tier server, but on mine, it’s not a ton.

Rogue Spectre [Main]/[SNKY]
Fergyson’s Crosswalk
WvW Roamer, lover, fighter, and reckless glass cannon

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Simply NO.

Commander tag has its uses in pve as well. Just come to Desolation to see how complex events like wurm or Tequatl are run.

The general problem is not that we have too many people with their commander tag on, but almost nobody wants to tag up in a WvWvW match where the opponent outnumbers you. 10k badges or not, this won’t change the thing. There is no extra reward for being a commander. There is no useful commander UI. Being a commander is hard work without any pay, besides the praise if you succeed.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Special K.8143

Simply NO.

Commander tag has its uses in pve as well. Just come to Desolation to see how complex events like wurm or Tequatl are run.

How does giving people the option of paying 100g -OR- 10,000 Badges affect PvE commanders? I think you didn’t read my post carefully. I’m not saying to take away the option of spending 100g to get it. I’m saying add the option to pay 10,000 badges and zero gold.

in WvW

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

10 000G and 100 Badges.

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Probably the best idea I have seen on GW2 forum….upvote

1000 hours of WvW played: sitting on 15k Badges and 5 golds…..

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in WvW

Posted by: stinkypants.8419

stinkypants.8419

So what about me?

I almost only play Wv3… maybe 20 hours a week. I know what’s going on and I saved up for my tag so that I could use it when there aren’t other COs on, or when I’m needed.

I would be pretty annoyed if it got downgraded to a PvE only tag.

I know people have problems with it, but learn who your commanders are and don’t follow the bad ones.

(Alvyn | Crystal Desert )

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

So what about me?

I almost only play Wv3… maybe 20 hours a week. I know what’s going on and I saved up for my tag so that I could use it when there aren’t other COs on, or when I’m needed.

I know people have problems with it, but learn who your commanders are and don’t follow the bad ones.

Unless Ur talking about the 9month old post Ur comment make no sense to me as to where it came from

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Special K.8143

So what about me?

Who said anything about a downgrade? there would be no difference between them. My suggestion is that the 100g or the 10,000 Badges buys the same Commander Manual. There’s only 1 kind. I am NOT suggesting that there be a PvE and WvW Commander Manual. NO, just no… thats too confusing. Let people who like PvE grind out 100g to get THE manual, and let us WvW’ers grind out badges for the SAME Manual.

in WvW

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

10k badges? So, everyone will have commander tag then?

20k badges AND 100 WvW-lvl

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in WvW

Posted by: Shonie.5297

Shonie.5297

Badges are pretty easy to come by for PvE achievement hunters.
I don’t have a ton of AP since I almost exclusively play WvW, but I think I remember getting a lot of badges when achievement chests were released.
So I’m not sure marrying gold along with badges really means much of anything when buying a commander tag.
Plus all the people, including myself, who dished out 100 gold for a commander tag and use badges to buy blueprints to make into superior siege for my server to use, would be a little miffed if buying a commander tag could be done by people just hording their badges.

~Tarnished Coast~

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

It’s way faster to farm 100 gold than 10k badges. People do 10 gold/hour farming. No one I know does 1000 badges/hour farming. Also there’d be no way to donate to a commander that’s new. I’ve also done thousands of hours of WvW. I have 500 badges and 10 gold – if I had to get my tag now, it would be too much of a grind.

Further more, I would like to remind people in higher tiers that low tiers badges and WvW levels aren’t as plentiful.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

Don’t you get badges from Achievement chests or Monthly anyway?

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

i play wvw from the first day but i dont know am i collected 10k badges since that or not. 8 think 1000 badge is as much time as farm 100g

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: stoat.4257

stoat.4257

10k badges is an awful lot, and people who command have a lot better things to do with their badges.

If you want to put an artificial bottleneck on it just make it a certain required rank, with account bound wxp coming soon™ it should no longer be an issue for people who want to command on alts.

Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

apparently reaching rank 30 in wvw is too hard for some people to get legendary. maybe 10g and rank 500 for commander tag? especially with acc wxp coming.

in WvW

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

The main issues I see with using such a large number of badges for the commander icon are:
1) many commanders use their badges for buying siege, but if they have to save up lots of badges to get an icon, they’ll either run tagless or not buy siege
2) 10K badges would fill up a bank slot (note thats 40 stacks). There would have to be something else you can get every 1000, and then trade those in.

I think in the end the badges issue is kind of null. Most players know the good commanders from the bad, and new players normally find out soon enough if they like playing with a certain commander. Anything they put in the game could really be “farmed” by a player who really has no experience commanding. Rank has almost no correlation to how good of a WvW player or good of a commander that person is. If someone is in a high tier server and just spams ‘1’ in a blob they can get up ranks fairly fast if they play enough. In the end, the best solution is to stop caring about HOW they get the tag, but giving commanders/squads more utility and letting the players decide in the end who they want to follow.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

IF we require badges of such an amount, we will get way more PvE heroes into WvW.
They should split WvW and PvE commander tags. One or the other cannot activate in the opposite mode.

WvW should cost a 500 skillpoints + say 2500 badges. While PvE could cost you Obsidian Shards and 500 Skillpoints.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

2) 10K badges would fill up a bank slot (note thats 40 stacks). There would have to be something else you can get every 1000, and then trade those in.

Badges are no more stacking in the bank, just like dungeon tokens…