Why not a WvW Tournament?

in WvW

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Last year during the Living story breaks we had two WvW tournaments.
This year the LS (and the game in general) are in pretty much a stasis since HoT was announced, and yet nothing on the form of WvW tournaments, if we disregard the huge changes with LA and Specializations, which came out last week, we’ve had just about nothing added to the game in form of “living content” or otherwise.
Sure it might be me acting like a spoiled child, but then again a kitten WvW tournament wouldn’t be hard to do. Just activate the fall tournament’s code, and done.
Sure if people really hate WvW or pvp in general it will be business as usual, but for those, like me, that enjoy the occasional WvW, this could add some spice to what has been a stale game for a long time.

Why i bring this up now? Because of the golem thing. Why, instead of a silly gimmicky thing, didn’t you add a tournament?

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Because last time there was a tournament people complained about it like mad and said that they never wanted a tournament again and that ArenaNet should work on changes in WvW rather than having tournaments with the exact same WvW as before.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

and skills / traits be broken yo

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

in WvW

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Personally, I’d welcome any WvW tournament… even a reuse of any of the previous formats (as far as achievements goes, whatever they think was best).

I just want something bit more substantial to do, anything at all… be it WvW, PvE or PvP the golems event sounds real fun one off thing. But it is short and probably for a good reason.

(edited by Crise.9401)

in WvW

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Please, I really need more WvW tourney tickets.

NSPride <3

in WvW

Posted by: Grimmskull.6102

Grimmskull.6102

They only announce tourney’s when they haven’t sold enough transfers for the year…

in WvW

Posted by: este.8651

este.8651

The sad truth is that these tourneys bring out the worst in people.

You have commanders that are tapped directly into what the other commander is saying while having a blob with siege and also paying a spy to drain supply. You also have tag watchers who are directly calling out where the commander is going in ts. If that doesn’t work then you pay someone to ddos the commander. If that doesn’t work then they form guilds on other servers in order to have two servers in the same comms. Then why quit there! Just do it all the time, no tourney needed.

They just take it too far and they use it as some type of sadistic release. I think they rationalize it somehow by thinking its “just a game” but taking on the level they do says more about their character. All the while the sheep that follow them are the ones that allow the abuse to perpetuate.

I don’t have to say any server names or call out any guilds. I don’t have to because you know who im talking about. Now tell me why is that?

(edited by este.8651)

in WvW

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

You have commanders that are tapped directly into what the other commander is saying while having a blob with siege and also paying a spy to drain supply. You also have tag watchers who are directly calling out where the commander is going in ts. If that doesn’t work then you pay someone to ddos the commander. If that doesn’t work then they form guilds on other servers in order to have two servers in the same comms. Then why quit there! Just do it all the time, no tourney needed.

They just take it too far and they use it as some type of sadistic release. I think they rationalize it somehow by thinking its “just a game” but taking on the level they do says more about their character. All the while the sheep that follow them are the ones that allow the abuse to perpetuate.

And there is proof of this?

Wouldn’t that fall under “Match Manipulation”? And as such a bannable offense?

If you have concrete evidence of such things going on, then send a report to: exploits@arena.net

While I do believe there may be some “collusion” going on I don’t think its to that extent.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in WvW

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

If you have concrete evidence of such things going on, then send a report to: exploits@arena.net

While I do believe there may be some “collusion” going on I don’t think its to that extent.

No, it was heavily a problem in Season 2 and would be again. There is absolutely -0- in violation of policy except siege/supply trolling – you should know how quickly that gets acted upon by now. And the DDOS attacks (against commander directly and/or against the TS servers) is not something in ANet’s control.

I foresee the larger issue now would actually be teleport hacking with stealth/invisible groups (the issue is running rampant in China). While ANet can catch these folks, the PPT damage is usually done after hours of abuse. With accounts being super cheap and IPs being spoofed, it’s way to easy to repeat.

Also, to some players, real-life money (to an extent) to buy accounts/pay guilds/pooling WvW guild gold to move to another server (or competing servers for trolling/spying) during tournament is not an inhibitor.

It would cause more people to leave the game/elevate toxic community play than bring people to it after the initial surge of achievement hunters.

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

Why i bring this up now? Because of the golem thing. Why, instead of a silly gimmicky thing, didn’t you add a tournament?

tournaments failed miserably. It brought UNHEALTHY competition to game and brought UNHELATHY mindset to people.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I think a tournament is too much trouble. When we mentioned it to Tyler Bearce he smirked and said nothing.

Everybody knows the population & nightcap issues with WvW, but solutions are;

1. thin on the ground
  2. expensive to implement
    Don’t expect those aspects of WvW to ever be fixed.

Of course, they lead to much misery when people are trying their best to win an uneven competition. I find this slightly ironic given that in Warhammer people were discontent with uneven sides and pointed to a third realm as the solution. Clearly, GW2 is evidence that this isn’t the case. There are still nightcap and blobbing issues.

While the new map is littered with reasons to unblob, Tyler said himself that they don’t necessarily want to stop people blobbing as it is a social activity many enjoy.

Nightcapping doesn’t seem, at this stage, to be being addressed at all.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

II find this slightly ironic given that in Warhammer people were discontent with uneven sides and pointed to a third realm as the solution. Clearly, GW2 is evidence that this isn’t the case. There are still nightcap and blobbing issues.

That’s because ranking should not be based on PPT. That encourages servers to get as much PPT for themselves as possible, resulting in server #2 stealing points from server #3 (and vice versa) instead of fighting server #1.

You need an incentive for each server to hit the strongest server. A scoring system where the winner server gets 10 points, #2 gets 5, and #3 gets 4, or something like that, encourages servers to double team whoever’s leading. (Or even winner takes all: winner gets 1 points, losers get 0).

If Anet were really interested in addressing WvW’s problems, this might be something that can be trialed for a few months. But they’re not.

in WvW

Posted by: Lakshmi.5941

Lakshmi.5941

I think it was the discount/free server transfers that caused the most problems. I’d be fine with a tournament that had no server transfer discounts.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Because last time there was a tournament people complained about it like mad and said that they never wanted a tournament again and that ArenaNet should work on changes in WvW rather than having tournaments with the exact same WvW as before.

Plus the tournaments resulted in an absolutely poisonous atmosphere in WvW for the duration and led to the exodus of many players from the game.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

Of course, they lead to much misery when people are trying their best to win an uneven competition. I find this slightly ironic given that in Warhammer people were discontent with uneven sides and pointed to a third realm as the solution. Clearly, GW2 is evidence that this isn’t the case. There are still nightcap and blobbing issues.

The 3rd entity does add some measure of control over a dominant server depending upon the scoring system implemented. It worked great for DAoC, unfortunately for GW2 if you are the mid server you are better off beating on the lowest server rather than challenging the server coming first. Not only that but there is also a stagnation due to not enough volatility in the way matches are determined. T1 and T2 are pretty much locked in place for months at a time before movement occurs(if it does occur at all).

Night capping will always be problematic, but this is a geographic server location problem with not having OCX/SEA servers. That leaves all of OCX/SEA, which is a large playerbase, to find servers to play on that are usually based in NA.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Last year during the Living story breaks we had two WvW tournaments.
This year the LS (and the game in general) are in pretty much a stasis since HoT was announced, and yet nothing on the form of WvW tournaments, if we disregard the huge changes with LA and Specializations, which came out last week, we’ve had just about nothing added to the game in form of “living content” or otherwise.
Sure it might be me acting like a spoiled child, but then again a kitten WvW tournament wouldn’t be hard to do. Just activate the fall tournament’s code, and done.
Sure if people really hate WvW or pvp in general it will be business as usual, but for those, like me, that enjoy the occasional WvW, this could add some spice to what has been a stale game for a long time.

Because in order for a tournament to be an actual tournament you would need to solve a bunch of problems 1st.

Solve off-hours cpas
Solve population imbalances
Solve rewards disparity make WvW rewards equal to those in SW on per time spent basis.

etc.

How can it be a tournament between 30 people in entire 4 maps vs 120-160 people on 4 maps ?

Or betetr yet, on the lower tiers in the off hours. How can you have a tournament between 3-5 people in entire WvW vs 50ish in WvW ? Can you forsee the outcome of whos going to win ? Cuz I sure can. And if outcome is pre-determined how is it a tournament ?

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

I am guessing that people want a tourney for 2 reasons.
1) a way to earn more tix
2) some matchup variation. I know blow outs – winner predetermined blah blah blah. That often happens anyway with the stale matchups we have now……

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Solve off-hours cpas

And these “problems” are basically impossible to solve.
Especially the first one.
Off-hours is different for everyone after all.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

este.8651 is correct and yes its really bad, “Match Manipulation” is a huge problem dispite Anet putting in server transfer & server rep restrictions.

Also the huge mess with the transfers and server rep if you changed servers during the tourney supposedly your server rep would change automatically if you met some super secret requirements. (2nd to last tourney I remember right)

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

(edited by JediYoda.1275)

in WvW

Posted by: AmberUK.5380

AmberUK.5380

Did this kind of imbalance not happen in GW1 with the factions?

maybe if people lost something like their WvW ranks if they moved server?

We Asura are just the best
UW WvW player – TooT !

in WvW

Posted by: DiscoJacen.1590

DiscoJacen.1590

They have to INVEST time and efforts into designing it and obviously wvw is not (never was?) the focus atm.

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

in WvW

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

Because a tournament is useless. It literally changes nothing about WvW, especially if it’s like last time where you do a few things and you’re done for a week. Rewards are crap. WvW isn’t balanced at all so any idea of a tournament is a joke.

The only thing I like about it is watching the tryhard drama in NA T1 where people actually care enough to troll other servers by making fake accounts and siege trolling, and invading ts, etc. It’s like watching Jerry Springer and white trash, it’s so sad that it’s funny.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

in WvW

JediYoda.1275

The only thing I like about it is watching the tryhard drama in NA T1 where people actually care enough to troll other servers by making fake accounts and siege trolling, and invading ts, etc. It’s like watching Jerry Springer and white trash, it’s so sad that it’s funny.

umm this happens in lower tiers also just NOT limited to NA T1

in WvW

Posted by: CyberMurmeli.3061

CyberMurmeli.3061

They punish for being on a low tier server :/

in WvW

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

Riiiight. I’m sure FoW and UW are doing it as well. Or any server guaranteed last in their grouping anyways. Literally not a big deal until you get higher up, and NA makes a bigger spectacle of it.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

in WvW

JediYoda.1275

Riiiight. I’m sure FoW and UW are doing it as well. Or any server guaranteed last in their grouping anyways. Literally not a big deal until you get higher up, and NA makes a bigger spectacle of it.

Becuase you think it doesn’t go on doesn’t change the fact its not only limited to T1 servers. Look at Blacktide hacker is busy again thread and Blacktide is EU T9 so proof right there its not limited to NA T1.

(edited by JediYoda.1275)

in WvW

Liston.9708

Becuase you think it doesn’t go on doesn’t change the fact its not only limited to T1 servers. Look at Blacktide hacker is busy again thread and Blacktide is EU T9 so proof right there its not limited to NA T1.

You are correct, but the t1 win swapping to manipulate the season score and lock out the 3rd server in season2 (I think) took it to another level.

in WvW

DiscoJacen.1590

Yup just stopped playing about 5 mins ago because while we were having an awesome battle with BT in their bl, somehow EB and the other maps started to insta flip to blue even with the BT blob here with us : )

I guess they can’t/won’t make a tournament when the game mode is broken and they don’t bother looking into it…

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

the only reason i see why people cry for a tournament is because they have been stuck with the same match up for years….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Solve off-hours cpas

not impossible. just that anet is unwilling to do so. see various other threads.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Liston.9708

Solve off-hours cpas

not impossible. just that anet is unwilling to do so. see various other threads.

Agreed – group servers that are designated NA prim / eu prime / sea prime / OCX prime. Then adjust how ppt works in non prime. Everyone can choose any server, but how ppt works when you play is based on if you are playing in prime or not.

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Except that none of the other threads actually give a good solution for it.
It is mainly: “Give less points when people play outside of MY prime-time”. Which really doesn’t work, considering as the game is global and thus there is always primetime somewhere.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Except that none of the other threads actually give a good solution for it.
It is mainly: “Give less points when people play outside of MY prime-time”. Which really doesn’t work, considering as the game is global and thus there is always primetime somewhere.

There have been plenty of solutions that were way better than what we have now, fair even. There have been hundreds of ideas and there have been threads on it since the match-ups went to a week long. Give points based on population balance of when they were taken. That doesn’t punish any one timezone, it punishes those that cap against no one and rewards taking things when populations are higher. It’s not perfect, but it’s fair. It’s also 1000x better than ArenaNet’s current solution, which is nothing.

ArenaNet simply doesn’t care, 3 years and they’ve done nothing. There is no excuse for that. The system they have now does not work, that was known since launch. Night capping has been an issue for as long as PvP objectives have been in MMO’s. DAOC had alarm clock raids, SWG had base timers to combat it, WAR had nightcapping issues. This is not something that is new and having no solution is worse than at least trying something, at least WAR tried making zones harder to capture based on population imbalance. It’s not that they don’t have a good solution, it’s that they don’t want to put the time/money into fixing it because the population isn’t there anymore to warrant it. Of course the population isn’t there anymore because ArenaNet has done nothing with WvW and focused on LS.

in WvW

DiscoJacen.1590

Because clearly making an entire year of content based arround a Harley Quin ripoff (they even used the same voice actress FFS!) is better than taking care of a game mode that represent 1/3 of your game.

See that is why you don’t ONLY hire tech people in developpment teams. They prob don’t have a single business irented person that could have told them “Oh It’s clear we could make a lot more money and increase our popularity by taking care of WvW”

HELL even fractals supposedly our endgame pve is abandonned completely!

And even if one/their community Manager Stephanie is a really nice person, she clearly isn’t doing the job she’s titled to (wheter it’s on purpose or a corporate order is another debate).

No events, no community feedback, no freagin Q/A sessions, forum threads here get deleted by some mod not even working for them; HELL even with super popular spvp they just rely on dedicated shoutcasters that do the job for them.

Clearly this game is undermanned and left to rot and not a day goes by without me thinking how sad it is

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

(edited by DiscoJacen.1590)

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I said this before and will say it again. Tourneys are pointless with the population/coverage problems around and will not change wvw at all beside of getting some tickets to turn in for a skin. Also nothing but a gapcloser between living story stuff.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

There have been plenty of solutions that were way better than what we have now, fair even. There have been hundreds of ideas and there have been threads on it since the match-ups went to a week long. Give points based on population balance of when they were taken. That doesn’t punish any one timezone, it punishes those that cap against no one and rewards taking things when populations are higher. It’s not perfect, but it’s fair. It’s also 1000x better than ArenaNet’s current solution, which is nothing.

ArenaNet simply doesn’t care, 3 years and they’ve done nothing. There is no excuse for that. The system they have now does not work, that was known since launch. Night capping has been an issue for as long as PvP objectives have been in MMO’s. DAOC had alarm clock raids, SWG had base timers to combat it, WAR had nightcapping issues. This is not something that is new and having no solution is worse than at least trying something, at least WAR tried making zones harder to capture based on population imbalance. It’s not that they don’t have a good solution, it’s that they don’t want to put the time/money into fixing it because the population isn’t there anymore to warrant it. Of course the population isn’t there anymore because ArenaNet has done nothing with WvW and focused on LS.

But those suggestions DOES punish people that play outside of the main primetime of the servers they are facing. So basically it is punishing certain primetimes. It does also add a situation where people might rage and demand that others leave the map in order to decrease the point the enemy gets for capping stuff and so on.
It is not a viable solution to the problem.

ArenaNet have done nothing because no matter what they do, they will punish certain players, and that is not what they want to do.

All in all, the solutions people bring are always “change impact of people playing other times than prime-time” something that is directly punishing people that can’t play in primetime.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Liston.9708

But those suggestions DOES punish people that play outside of the main primetime of the servers they are facing. So basically it is punishing certain primetimes. It does also add a situation where people might rage and demand that others leave the map in order to decrease the point the enemy gets for capping stuff and so on.
It is not a viable solution to the problem.

ArenaNet have done nothing because no matter what they do, they will punish certain players, and that is not what they want to do.

All in all, the solutions people bring are always “change impact of people playing other times than prime-time” something that is directly punishing people that can’t play in primetime.

Not if servers are designated NA prime, eu prime, sea prime, OCX prime etc…. You can still join any server, but prim time ppt would be different than non prime. Only people that are hurt / count less are the ones that choose to play non prime instead of joining the proper server where they would be playing prime…..

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Not if servers are designated NA prime, eu prime, sea prime, OCX prime etc…. You can still join any server, but prim time ppt would be different than non prime. Only people that are hurt / count less are the ones that choose to play non prime instead of joining the proper server where they would be playing prime…..

So, they should basically create a minimum of 3 servers for every prime time in the whole world?
And that would basically also mean that you would only ever face the exact same servers every match up.

Not everyone have a standard 9-5 job and thus they simply CAN’T play at prime time. It is not really a matter of choice.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Liston.9708

So, they should basically create a minimum of 3 servers for every prime time in the whole world?
And that would basically also mean that you would only ever face the exact same servers every match up.

Not everyone have a standard 9-5 job and thus they simply CAN’T play at prime time. It is not really a matter of choice.

How many servers would be in each group I don’t know, but indeed a factor of 3. If they don’t work 9-5, they would choose from a group say eu where it is prime time. Of course there are issues that would need to be addressed, but there are other answers than there is nothing they can do. Someone earlier hit it on the head – they don’t want to address the issue for one reason or another. I can’t blame them if there is no ROI of that dev time…..

That said, I’d like to see if there are any changes with the introduction of hot. No drastic changes would occur until then anyway….