Why testing on live servers ?

in WvW

Posted by: Fivona.5061

Fivona.5061

Queue times messed.
Everywhere crawling with testers and people with no WvW experience. (PvE people)

Never seen any other game doing testing in LIVE SERVERS.

Why only PvP and WvW ? Why not PvE ?

Why not EoTM only ?

This isn’t professional Anet.

(edited by Fivona.5061)

in WvW

Posted by: Cirrion.8951

Cirrion.8951

The HoT beta was the same; you could play the elite classes in live WvW, but you didn’t get to keep any progress you made with the character (dailies, loot, wxp).

Doesn’t make it a good idea, but at least there is precedent.

in WvW

Posted by: Klipso.8653

Klipso.8653

It’s actually a good idea in this case. WvW requires too many people, the only way to see what’s really broken or OP is to do the test with as many people as possible.

in WvW

Cirrion.8951

I’d rather seem them do that testing on a dedicated beta server (they’d easily get enough numbers testing for the weekend), or in EoTM, rather than in a live environment with untested classes that haven’t been balanced yet. This weekend is going to be a mess.

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Because it forces interaction between current builds with the new elite specs. It’s how ANET can gather the data to try to bring things in line before launch, I’m sure there are a crapload of things that are way overtuned/undertuned that will be changed before launch thanks to this test.

Its only one weekend. This isn’t going to be the only weekend you’ll ever be able to play GW2 WvW Ever and Forever 1000 years www.wvwweekend.com 100 years

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

Ya this should have been done in EOTM. But it is what it is.

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

If they extended the beta through till next Friday and just didn’t count this last linked week in terms of warscore then I think most people could have alittle more fun and experiment some. As it is right now, those that are known for bringing a machine gun to a pencil fight are doing what they do best and people don’t learn anything about their class or skills if they’re just going to run a beta toon with 20 other people on a Friday afternoon through Monday, furthermore, those that don’t run with 20 don’t learn anything either if that’s all they’re encountering.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Pretty funny that wvwers think they are > pvers lol.

aka. “The Complainer”

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Good for you, HOD only have 2 queue at best, is sad.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Yeah it never fails

in WvW

Posted by: Mel.3064

Mel.3064

I agree, its a terrible idea to force people to take part in beta testing this on the live environment

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Generally better in Wvw, yeah. Stands to reason really… I expect I’d be a serious liability in end game pve compared to people who spend all their time there.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Woulda made more sense to do it on closed servers, like they did last week. Easy to monitor. Easy to gather data. Easy to streamline the experience to players don’t have to kitten around to do what they wanna test out.

They coulda just hosted a dozen ebg maps and gone from there. Or even easier….use eotm to do it lOL.

Srsly poor eotm….anet given it the cold shoulder so hard lately. Won’t be surprised when its removed completely, the groundwork is layed.

So enjoy your crashing everyone….lol

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Cirrion.8951

Because it forces interaction between current builds with the new elite specs. It’s how ANET can gather the data to try to bring things in line before launch, I’m sure there are a crapload of things that are way overtuned/undertuned that will be changed before launch thanks to this test.

Its only one weekend. This isn’t going to be the only weekend you’ll ever be able to play GW2 WvW Ever and Forever 1000 years www.wvwweekend.com 100 years

Yeah fair point. In a dedicated testing environment no-one would be playing vanilla/HoT specs. A weekend of chaos now is better than weeks of chaos at launch if balance is tested.

in WvW

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Kinda hard to fully test if the WvW map isnt filled to the brim. You’d get bored looking for fights.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Saw a scourge a bit ago that was doing what the dragon hunters used to do, standing there killing things but not taking damage. So, I moa’d him, best fun I’ve had so far in this beta

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

its one weekend calm down the ship isn’t sinking that’s just the sound of you hyperventilating

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The HoT beta was the same; you could play the elite classes in live WvW, but you didn’t get to keep any progress you made with the character (dailies, loot, wxp).

Doesn’t make it a good idea, but at least there is precedent.

Difference was they allowed elite specs to be tested in PvE so all the PvE people are not flooding WvW to test them.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Holy crap the q’s… wowsa. Well wrecking people is going to be fun if I can ever get in.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Matt Cole.2680

Matt Cole.2680

I agree. I’m mainly a pver but I dabble, especially for crafting legendaries, and I recently got in the wvw mood, kinda wanna just play normal wvw and not worry about broken builds. I would’ve signed up for a test server if I wanted that, and there are plenty of people that would have done just that. It isn’t about pvpers thinking they’re better, it’s just they threw testing into a particular game mode, and as a result those people are now forced into the testing.

And yeah it’s just a weekend but maybe some people can only really play on the weekend. It’ll increase queue time and bring in a lot of people that don’t really care about WvW as much as they care about running around randomly with the elite spec instead of focusing on the actual game mode. The best comparison for pve I can think of would be doing your weekly raid kills but being forced to change your raid comp or bring along people you wouldn’t normally raid with, sure it would have its benefits and not everyone would be upset, but some people certainly would.

I understand the benefits, so I’m not gonna complain too much, I just simply wish they would’ve separated it somehow. EoTM would’ve been pretty perfect.

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

sigh

1. Testing on live is a good thing because you get to see the skills against current builds from Vanilla and HoT, and not just the expansion builds against themselves. Hopefully it will help balancing game wide, although personally I don’t have any confidence in anet’s balance team.

2. They will get much more players involved, more testing results done, more feedback given, on live servers than they would on a test server, for the simple fact that many wouldn’t bother downloading a separate test client (if they have to). We already experienced this with the desert borderland testing which was separate from live, the attendance wasn’t exactly great, not that there weren’t other problems from anets side of things.

3. Anet never had a public test server in the 5 years of the game, why you expecting one now?

4. Even if you do a separate test server a lot of stuff still fall through the cracks, the bigger the test pool the faster something may be found. Even a giant game like WoW still find broken stuff on live after months of testing on the public test server.

5. It’s 3 days, suck it up. At least you’re getting a chance to check out the elite specs, (which really is the only thing that will matter for pvp with this expansion), for free no matter what type of account you’re on. If you’re on the fence about getting the expansion then use this weekend to check out the specs.

6. They should have done the elite spec test with the pve content last week at least, not every pve will like the pvp only testing.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

7. Hype. You get to try before you buy.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

I personally enjoyed it this way. WvW got some limelight i got to partake in some larger than normal team fights. And I got to test the classes I was interested in in a more intense environment.

You can mock the players for making posts on its combat ability based on shooting golems. You then mock them for saying the class is strong because it performed well against a bunch of other players playing classes they arent familiar with. But I will tell you who you wont mock that 10 man team spearheaded by a scourge that just roflstomped thru your zerg because you know he played his class well with less than 48 hours to practice it while you have had years to learn yours. You know whoever the hell is behind that scourge has taken the opportunity to learn his new class and explore its playstyle and they and they alone know if its balanced or not. If that scourge was playing in a “testing” only map vs other people only playing classes they arent used to you would dismiss his input on the class just as easily as you do people who fought the golems and just as easily as you do the people that fought in 5v5p against other new elites.

THAT ladies and gentleman is why this was done on a live server because now you simply can’t say that players input isnt realistic. Any questions?

in WvW

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

It’s temporary. No big deal.

And the best way to test for problems is in a live setting. This is a pretty smart way to do it imo.

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

The only thing I am worried about is how will this affect the population status? Are anet excluding the data for these few days of demo or will they include them thus making servers temporarily full for a week or two?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

I’ve found it interesting to fight people using PoF specializations on my core/HoT ones. There is almost certainly some balance issues to work out, but I didn’t feel run over by anyone.

The biggest challenge was figuring out what the base class is. The icons are new, and it might be a few seconds into a fight before you learn you’re fighting a weaver or firebrand.

in WvW

XenesisII.1540

The only thing I am worried about is how will this affect the population status? Are anet excluding the data for these few days of demo or will they include them thus making servers temporarily full for a week or two?

Well if you’re so worried about that then do transfers now? Why are you worried about being full in 2 weeks? are you planning a massive transfer of imaginary guilds to your server during that particular time?

Only half the main servers are still full now, when a couple weeks ago it was all 12 anyways. Not exactly something to worry over.

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

in WvW

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Queue times messed.
Everywhere crawling with testers and people with no WvW experience. (PvE people)

Never seen any other game doing testing in LIVE SERVERS.

Why only PvP and WvW ? Why not PvE ?

Why not EoTM only ?

This isn’t professional Anet.

Could always use that as an opportunity to recruit people.

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

Well if you’re so worried about that then do transfers now? Why are you worried about being full in 2 weeks? are you planning a massive transfer of imaginary guilds to your server during that particular time?

Only half the main servers are still full now, when a couple weeks ago it was all 12 anyways. Not exactly something to worry over.

Do you not know that relinking is coming? If the data is include, do you not know that it can cause even worse linking? Seeing that you don’t actually frequent the forum, I suggest you to read up a thing or two.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

in WvW

XenesisII.1540

Do you not know that relinking is coming? If the data is include, do you not know that it can cause even worse linking? Seeing that you don’t actually frequent the forum, I suggest you to read up a thing or two.

Do you think they just wake up on friday morning, check the data over the past week, and make decisions on links just off that?

There’s a spike of population this weekend and they know why, which is why they probably wouldn’t even consider that data, but you know the 7 previous weeks of data they have.

I read the forums and posts like these every day… unfortunately…

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

I don’t get why they didn’t let the new Elite specs be played everywhere. Let people do dungeons, fractals, raids, and world bosses. Partake in events and whatnot.

Now you just get people playing specs they are unfamiliar with in a gamemode they rarely play, which just results in their “mains” new elite spec getting steamrolled and them crying on the forums its broken and needs massive buffs.
Point in case. Every profession forum people are saying their new elite spec needs to be buffed. In my experience every single new elite specs needs to be nerfed.

(edited by Terrahero.9358)

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

I don’t get why they didn’t let the new Elite specs be played everywhere. Let people do dungeons, fractals, raids, and world bosses. Partake in events and whatnot.

Now you just get people playing specs they are unfamiliar with in a gamemode they rarely play, which just results in their “mains” new elite spec getting steamrolled and them crying on the forums its broken and needs massive buffs.
Point in case. Every profession forum people are saying their new elite spec needs to be buffed. In my experience every single new elite specs needs to be nerfed.

I disagree. Giving spvp and wvw exposure can only help the game modes. They are easy to overlook and for two days they’re part of a demo.

Some fraction of those who were only playing the modes for the demo might decide to stick with it and keep playing.

This is a good thing. Often players complain about how little attention wvw gets, and for two days it gets focused attention. Events like this grow the player base for the game mode.

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

Do you think they just wake up on friday morning, check the data over the past week, and make decisions on links just off that?

There’s a spike of population this weekend and they know why, which is why they probably wouldn’t even consider that data, but you know the 7 previous weeks of data they have.

I read the forums and posts like these every day… unfortunately…

That is base on assumptions which you have no basis of and likewise I don’t which is why I don’t think that way.

Read forums everyday since 3 mths ago?

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

XenesisII.1540

That is base on assumptions which you have no basis of and likewise I don’t which is why I don’t think that way.

There’s a reason why my name has II in it.
Xenesis.6389 from day one.

P.S everything we talk about in wvw is mostly based on assumptions, because they have not revealed the inner workings of their game, but you know some things come down to common sense.

(edited by XenesisII.1540)

in WvW

SkyShroud.2865

There’s a reason why my name has II in it.
Xenesis.6389 from day one.

P.S everything we talk about in wvw is mostly based on assumptions, because they have not revealed the inner workings of their game, but you know some things come down to common sense.

Common senses are something are that factual, consistent, explainable by science. Since when wvw devs have a track records of consistency when come to balancing?

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Why have test data in a production system? If there is a bug or exploit or some unforeseen advantage a new elite could introduce why have it effect the score? One person doing it, ok no big deal. What if it grows to five or more?

The good news is that they got some data based on play in a open space and lots of people. The bad news is that it contaminated production data with test. That is a no no… Test realm should have been used…or only allowed on the mist map…

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)