in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Q:

Stealth Trap

If you can see it,
You can hit it.
That alone won’t win the fight,
You will still need to prevent their flight.
And when they die,
You both will cry.
You with joy,
Him with annoy.
Rest assured he will be back,
Just be ready with another stealth trap.

https://youtu.be/u9EV_OPzrb4

Why we have stealth traps

in WvW

Posted by: Warhawk.7095

Warhawk.7095

Lol that first video you’re fighting Hugh, who doesn’t even run traps? A condi thief yes, but no trapper, and certainly no “ghost thief”.

Rogue Spectre [Main]/[SNKY]
Fergyson’s Crosswalk
WvW Roamer, lover, fighter, and reckless glass cannon

in WvW

Justine.6351

Lol that first video you’re fighting Hugh, who doesn’t even run traps? A condi thief yes, but no trapper, and certainly no “ghost thief”.

Oh I thought when I was being immobilized I was eating traps. Or is that the bola thing I see once in a while?

And I don’t know why I got this stupid q/a format, I tried changing it but nothing changed.

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Yea, that wasn’t a ghost thief. That was just P/D condi.

Oh I thought when I was being immobilized I was eating traps. Or is that the bola thing I see once in a while?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Panic_Strike

Most of the fight you were under half HP.

P/D 2 is an immob a swell.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in WvW

Justine.6351

Yea, that wasn’t a ghost thief. That was just P/D condi.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Panic_Strike

Most of the fight you were under half HP.

Bola is on Warrior.

What is the bola thing he throws out?

I change title so it’s not as misleading then.

in WvW

DeceiverX.8361

Edited above. P/D 2 probably being spammed (I thought you were referring to the actual skill Throw Bolas on the warrior/sentries from camp initially).

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Body_Shot

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in WvW

DeceiverX.8361

Likely most instances came from Panic Strike (again you were under half hp a lot), and it’s also very likely he was running trap on heal.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trappers_Respite

But yea, all you really did was counter a normal thief with steal capabilities of D/D power.

in WvW

Justine.6351

But yea, all you really did was counter a normal thief with steal capabilities of D/D power.

I thought he was condi not power?

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

The bolas are number 2 which apply immob and vulnerability.

This an old build and you can still do well with it in WvW with a core build. It hard tell from the video if he using daredevil. I see trickery and DA and got the feeling his third is SA

in WvW

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

He is running a vanilla P/D build. His main problem is that he is using Shadow Refuge, which isn’t helping his pressure on you at all.

I’ll be posting a video of my variant on this build, using Daredevil, in a while. I’m not that video editor friendly, so its been taking a while to gather the video/audio.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in WvW

Justine.6351

Both in the vid are not daredevils, but thieves.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I have a ton of stealth traps in my inventory and I use them shamelessly. I’m sorry but if I’m kneeling down for 3seconds in plain sight and you trip it, don’t hate on me because you’re careless.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Justine.6351

I have a ton of stealth traps in my inventory and I use them shamelessly. I’m sorry but if I’m kneeling down for 3seconds in plain sight and you trip it, don’t hate on me because you’re careless.

Do you try any fancy combo in particular for them or just unload everything till they die?

I’ve considered something like spike trap stacked with stealth disrupter on occasion.

in WvW

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Stealth trap use comes in two forms. First, you can lay it as a true trap. In camps it is helpful, because a thief may try to gank you even with all the NPCs still there. In that case you lay the trap and hope he jumps into a hailstorm of NPC damage that he can’t use stealth to avoid or mitigate. That, and your own well timed damage and hard cc, can be deadly.

The second form is mid combat. In the case of druid use the stealth bow skill and drop the trap after the thief has burned several long cooldown utilities. One example is Shadow Refuge. That is a 50 second cooldown that he is using after running out of other escapes. As soon as he tosses it down, jump to it and lay a stealth trap. he will be revealed and he should be short on other utilities to run away.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Do you try any fancy combo in particular for them or just unload everything till they die?

I’ve considered something like spike trap stacked with stealth disrupter on occasion.

Just general bait. I drop them at any time. In combat, in camps, around towers. If it’s not in combat, I set them up in common places people will run through or at common stacking places in camps. Eg. behind the rock at Rogue’s Quarry or high traffic area like at the end of Dredge tunnels.

I wouldn’t say I have any fancy combos other than pretending I’m AFK, lol. Sometimes if I see a Thief lingering around an area I’ll set a trap then stand with my back to them on the trap. As soon as they trip it I lock them down with CC’s/immobs followed by the good old Quickening Zephyr → Rapid Fire or if I’m on my Necro I just obliterate them with a million and one conditions.

It’s sad how fast they die without stealth, really shows how poorly implemented it is when they suddenly become defenseless without it. That said, a good Thief can still handle themselves even when they can’t stealth. I’ve had my butt handed to me more than a few times by Thieves that were smarter than I gave them credit for. That’s why I try to live by the “always assume your opponent is a genius until proven an idiot” quote.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

DeceiverX.8361

I thought he was condi not power?

He was. But his stealth access is the same as a D/D power build and his damage just as dependent due to it coming from Sneak Attack, for you to use as a reference (since those are more common). A ghost thief would have never left stealth at all.

in WvW

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

This is a ghost thief:
https://youtu.be/jpOb3YO0p8c

It is a kittening build and yes, need stealth trap if want to have a chance against it since they never go out of stealth if know what are doing.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

Justine.6351

This is a ghost thief:

It is a kittening build and yes, need stealth trap if want to have a chance against it since they never go out of stealth if know what are doing.

So the second thief was a ghost thief then yes?

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Boring thiefs as usual takes 5 years to fight them cause they reset the fight over and over when they lose. I just emote laugh at them, light them up, then watch them run.

Boring

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

That poem is bae. I wish I could +1 it

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

This is a ghost thief:

The one you were fighting near SWT in the BL appeared to be yes.

in WvW

Justine.6351

This is a ghost thief:

?

There was one twice in nec and one at umberglade woods.

in WvW

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

This is a ghost thief:

?

There was one twice in nec and one at umberglade woods.

Hard to say without longer footage but yes, indeed it seems that the second thief at Umber in EB is a ghost thief. If so I’d say it is an amateur or simply was too confident since they outnumbered you.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

I still vote for an ability line that allows auto deploy stealth traps. You know, for those thieves that let you “walk away”. So in the process of walking away you can throw the trap anywhere rather than stopping to build it for 3 secs while the thief watches and knows exactly where not to step.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Boring thiefs as usual takes 5 years to fight them cause they reset the fight over and over when they lose. I just emote laugh at them, light them up, then watch them run.

Boring

Can I have a trap that shuts down necro life force pls

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]