Will a $3000 Graphics Card lag in WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Kaine.3501

Kaine.3501

On my current Radeon gaming card I get about 50 FPS in PvE and 12-16 FPS in WvW. I’m playing on a liquid cooled quad. I hope that the FirePro V9800 I just purchased (its being shipped) will increase my FPS. What graphics card are you running on and what is your FPS in PvE and PvP?

Attachments:

Server: Kaineng
Name: “Kaide” (Kaine is just the account name)

in WvW

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

It’s not just about the vid card, but the whole computer. Though, I do want that rig you’re talking about, it sounds sexy.

Mine: Radeon HD 5830, I consistently get over 60 FPS, until there’s a big fight going on, then sometimes I drop to a low of 15. I’m really pretty impressed with the fluidity of the game/my comp, and rarely ever have trouble beyond the occasional internet lag.

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry

(edited by fractalKinesis.8569)

in WvW

Kaine.3501

@fractalkinesis

So your Charr is beautiful I take it? lol

Whats your FPS in PvE and PvP on your 5830?

in WvW

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

@fractalkinesis

So your Charr is beautiful I take it? lol

Whats your FPS in PvE and PvP on your 5830?

PvE: 60+, unless there’s a big do, then at the very least I get 15-20. But I mean big fight, like the Grenth temple.

PvP: It gets a bit laggy during a door siege, but otherwise, it’s not bad at all. Lag is far worse.

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

You’re buying that for GW2?

in WvW

Posted by: Omnifox.7859

Omnifox.7859

You will likely have issues with that card, (Also nice trollin) due to the fact that it is a workstation card, not a gaming card. The drivers will not work well with games most of the time.

WvWvW has very little to do with the actual PC after a point. I am playing on a 980X, with dual 690s. I do not have much of a lag issue graphically, however the game chokes on loading of people. It is the engine, not your PC after a point.

Also, I get skill lag, and that just seems to be server side lag again. It is not my connection, it has to be ANets end, it quite sucks.

(I hope you are doing rendering and such for that FirePro. I personally use mine for rendering but I go with game cards even though they do not CUDA as well as actual quatro cards, they give me the ability to game well!)

in WvW

Posted by: Kracin.6078

Kracin.6078

You’re buying that for GW2?

betting hes buying it for his computer.. which probably has more than just gw2 installed…. just a guess though lol

in WvW

Posted by: Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

Lelouch Lamperouge.3716

Sapphire AMD radeon 6900 series, 60+ FPS in WvW. Seems you might have overpaid for a graphics card considering mine runs any games out there at maximum settings without any lag and always at high FPS.

in WvW

Kaine.3501

@ defrule

Yes

in WvW

Kaine.3501

You will likely have issues with that card, (Also nice trollin) due to the fact that it is a workstation card, not a gaming card. The drivers will not work well with games most of the time.

WvWvW has very little to do with the actual PC after a point. I am playing on a 980X, with dual 690s. I do not have much of a lag issue graphically, however the game chokes on loading of people. It is the engine, not your PC after a point.

Also, I get skill lag, and that just seems to be server side lag again. It is not my connection, it has to be ANets end, it quite sucks.

(I hope you are doing rendering and such for that FirePro. I personally use mine for rendering but I go with game cards even though they do not CUDA as well as actual quatro cards, they give me the ability to game well!)

Actually the reason why I’m getting the card is that several of my friends have it. They all use it for gaming except one that uses it for engineering.

in WvW

Posted by: potis.2165

potis.2165

Yeah, keep showing off to the clueless masses.

Those cards are horrible for anything apart from 3D designing for those that do serious stuff with them.

Of course it will run the game, but fact remains, you are showing off and you are wasting your money.

I do really hope you are actually buying it, when a 7970 can run the game better and costs what? 1/9 of a Quadro/Firepro?

in WvW

Posted by: rndmize.9274

rndmize.9274

Woooow. I wasn’t going to say anything since omnifox already hit the main points, but really? A $3k card for gaming? That’s optimized for CAD?

I don’t suppose you got some Monster cables to go along with that?

Jade Quarry | Feign Disorder | Guardian
Interested in discussing WvW strategy? Contact me in-game.

in WvW

Posted by: maximumpanda.5178

maximumpanda.5178

you’ve just wasted a HUGE amount of money. rendering cards are built for very very specific tasks. that will run games about as well as a 300-400 nvidia card which goes for about 100 dollars.

unless the rendering card hardware has changed drastically, they are ment to render openGL, which almost no games use anymore, but all 3d software uses by default.

again enjoy your 3000 dollar paperweight

Maximumpanda – Director of – Ruin Gaming [Ruin]
Desolation [DESO]

in WvW

Posted by: Hype.9361

Hype.9361

I hate to break it to you. But you’d get far better gaming results with a gaming graphics card. Not something that is made for workstations. That was a gigantic waste of money. You’ll get less FPS with a firepro 9800 than you would with a GTX 690. Even a 680 would out perform a firepro. Send it back. Do some research next time.

in WvW

Posted by: Day.4501

Day.4501

Wrong card to purchase for gaming.

in WvW

Posted by: Gray.3725

Gray.3725

I’m playing on an Acer Aspire 5755G notebook, specs are Core i5 2,3 GHz, GeForce GT 540M, 4GB DDR3, this keeps my FPS stable at 50 outside PvE and inside WvW aswell, unless I run into huge zerging/massive sieging, tends to drop down then, but I do find your card overpriced and unnecessary. Paid $800 for the complete notebook.

Gray Hatheon – 80 Warrior
Legacy of Raiders – [LoR] – Currently recruiting, message me or whisper ingame.
Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: Afyren.2879

Afyren.2879

In all honesty if the power is turned off, got to ask youself, does it matter ?

If your a gamer the answer is yes

in WvW

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

Yes, the problem with lag all on the computer itself. The coding Anet uses still bottlenecks at the CPU and the server hardware can’t handle the clients for Wv3.

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

in WvW

Kaine.3501

@ all

If you could buy any graphics card for a PC which one would you buy and why?

in WvW

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

When my FPS drops below 60, it isn’t my video card or my CPU as neither of them are anywhere near maxed when it happens (last time, today, during WvWvW, GPU was 25%, CPUs, ~55%—I monitor them real-time on Logitech displays). Throwing more hardware at the problem won’t solve anything.

Which card[s]? Rather than $3k on a workstation card, $2k on two GTX 690s; otherwise, the biggest nVidia card you’re willing to pay for—assuming your platform (which you haven’t listed) is adequate.

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

in WvW

Posted by: Gray.3725

Gray.3725

Even one of the GTX6 series cards would suffice to play the game on more than enjoyable level.

Gray Hatheon – 80 Warrior
Legacy of Raiders – [LoR] – Currently recruiting, message me or whisper ingame.
Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

Honestly, I don’t know if this is a troll thread… Anyways, if you were really going to spend the money and already have a decent processor you should have saved yourself 2400-2600$ and gone for one of these cards that meets your needs: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/bill-freist-talks-optimization-and-performance/

Also, I don’t feel any lag with my setup on high =P even in raid groups in WvW it never drops below 40FPS, and my processor is only OC’d to 3.2ghz XD

in WvW

Posted by: CharliePrince.2071

CharliePrince.2071

On my current Radeon gaming card I get about 50 FPS in PvE and 12-16 FPS in WvW. I’m playing on a liquid cooled quad. I hope that the FirePro V9800 I just purchased (its being shipped) will increase my FPS. What graphics card are you running on and what is your FPS in PvE and PvP?

you just bought a $3000 video card?

i am totally jealous

i want you as my sugar daddy

:( and im a man!

in WvW

Posted by: Shredicus.8706

Shredicus.8706

LOL that is NOT a gaming GPU.

in WvW

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

LOL you brought a workstation videocard for a game? If this guy isn’t trolling he is obviously very dense and unaware of the difference. Lmaooooo, hope you use 3d studio max or something.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in WvW

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Doesn’t matter because the game can’t render more than 30 players and the latency drop during a stonemist storm makes wvw laughable

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

If you could buy any graphics card for a PC which one would you buy and why?

I’m not sure if you are serious or trolling but do you not do ANY research before spending 3000 dollars?

In that case you deserve what you’re getting.

Normal people buy a Geforce GTX 660/660 Ti/670/680 or an AMD Radeon HD 7850/7870/7950/7970 for anywhere between 180 and 450 USD, depending on their budget and system specs.

in WvW

Posted by: Dalingrin.1035

Dalingrin.1035

That $3000 card is slower than a current $300 consumer grade Radeon so I wouldn’t expect anything too amazing out of it.
In addition, WvW is mostly CPU limited not GPU limited. So, a $250 video card will likely play identically to a $400 card.

(edited by Dalingrin.1035)

in WvW

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

CLearly, this was simply meant to be a “Look at me, I’m buying (or pretending to buy) a $3000 video card” post.

What the OP doesn’t realize is that the drivers are not meant to be used for games and will perform abysmally with gaming, nor is the card designed to handle gaming, and will perform worse than a $400-600 gaming card, which would have been a MUCH better purchase.

in WvW

Posted by: broxigar.8754

broxigar.8754

LOL… with $3000 i could replace my 2 years old GTX560 with GTX680, and afford a new set of 19" BBS rims for my E90..

Jade Quarry | B R O X – Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

That’s not a gaming GPU wtf u on? Jeez ppl have to start to learn how to pick their products. That is a graphics development GPU not a gaming GPU. It won’t have “out of this world” performance in games..not as much as the most expensive standard gaming GPU on the market….lol

With that money u could literally buy 3 top GPUs and connect them together. development hardware =/= gaming hardware. U are a salesman’s dream.

in WvW

Posted by: Shintai.5618

Shintai.5618

Getting around 60fps all the time with a GTX680 in 1920*1200.

As as other have mentioned, workstation GPU….not a gaming GPU. Not to mention the V9800 is an outdated card.

I would recommend a GTX670.

in WvW

Posted by: Jahaudant.9267

Jahaudant.9267

Hate to burst your bubble but the V9800 is a professional GPU. It’s designed to be used for 3d modelling and similar professional graphics applications. It’s performance in games is very poor and driver support for gaming applications is non existent.

Secondly, without a particularly fast processor you’d be bottlenecking your performance with a high end card like this anyway. You’re looking at the upper end Xeons to get the most out of these kinds of GPU’s. We run in to the same problem here as well since Xeons aren’t optimized for gaming, they actually perform worse than current gen mainstream processors like the i7 and bulldozer.

in WvW

Posted by: Perdan.1045

Perdan.1045

Gtx570.. I get 60fps most of the time at 2560×1440, might dip into the 40s during some largescale fights, but since most of the characters aren’t rendered, it doesnt drop a lot or often.

in WvW

Posted by: AXEL.8362

AXEL.8362

It wont help you because its not a gaming gpu. You will probably have a lower framerate than now. Also, the game is mostly cpu bound. Well you know what they say about the fool and his money…

in WvW

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

gtx 670 user here: 60fps in pve,
but only around 15-20 in mass pvp. you obviously also need a strong cpu.

in WvW

Omnifox.7859

Money would be better spent on Quad 680s, or dual 690s if you are not using it for calculation.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerbreus.1543

Cerbreus.1543

YES IT WILL DUE TO ITS NOT UR GRAHICS CARD THAT IS THE PROBLEM

CPU/ MEMORY PLAY A PART AND SO DOES THE SERVER’S RAM AND CPU

in WvW

Omnifox.7859

YES IT WILL DUE TO ITS NOT UR GRAHICS CARD THAT IS THE PROBLEM

CPU/ MEMORY PLAY A PART AND SO DOES THE SERVER’S RAM AND CPU

Not just that, the engine hits a point that the game just cant keep up.

in WvW

Posted by: Slakter.1082

Slakter.1082

No CPU can cope with the lagg fest in wvw!

in WvW

Posted by: Cerbreus.1543

Cerbreus.1543

i have a 6 core processor…. 32gigs of ram and two 1025mb nvivda’s i run Gw2. Diablo3, pandora, facebook, skype, teamspeak, vent all at the same time i get no lag from anything but gw2 when i see two zergs in wvw. gw2 just seems like screen shot mode….. so i just wait and die and play d3 at the same time….

AND by the way thats all max graphics its the server’s guts that are the problem

in WvW

Posted by: Naterspwns.3856

Naterspwns.3856

my graphics card cost me $459 NZD its a Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2gb, 6core cpu running at 3.7ghz. i run at 60+ fps everywhere except for one part where it really starts lagging, Bandit haunt cavern…. that place is utter crap

(edited by Naterspwns.3856)

in WvW

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

If you’re intent on spending a lot of money the x90 cards from nVidia (490, 590, 690, etc) are usually the most expensive cards you would theoretically want to buy. They’re basically two cards in one.

Personally I run a 570 (have for over a year now) and along with my i7 3.4 GHz, 8 GB of RAM and game stored on SSD I average around 40-63 FPS in PvE (depending on player cap) and in WvW is about the same.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Artorous.8573

Artorous.8573

I use a GTX 550 ti and I never go below 50 fps, even in a full scale siege in WvW. It cost less than $150 and will run the game better than your $3000 card. Hell, I built this pc for 1/5th the price of that card. At least do some research before you waste your money.

in WvW

Posted by: Kracin.6078

Kracin.6078

i bought my tower for 900…. its an i5 650 3.2 gig with 8 gig of ram… nothing fancy, a decent video card. and i have zero lag…… but i also don’t pretend like i can run the game on maximum during large scale fights either.

people… stop cranking up the graphics if you can’t handle it. and youll be fine, haven’t had graphics lag ever.

in WvW

Posted by: Auryn.9573

Auryn.9573

120~ fps in most area’s WvW/PvE tho it can dip to 50-60 when zergs collide lol

i7 3770k @4.6ghz
16gb ram 1866mhz
Asus DUC gtx 660 ti
Crucial SSD

in WvW

Posted by: AXEL.8362

AXEL.8362

@cerberus, Its your comp actually. You might think that you have an overkiller computer but above 8gb there is no increment in gaming performance even if you like to play 2 games at the same time. Also, I assume you have an amd cpu, those are much more slower than Intel cpus of the same characteristics or even lower and this is ,sadly for us, a cpu bound game.

in WvW

Posted by: neoxide.7320

neoxide.7320

Wow. I’m sure it’s been said a dozen times but the FirePro V9800 is NOT a gaming GPU. It’s for high performance rendering. The best gaming graphics card on the market right now is about $1000 and it’s the GTX 690. It has dual 680 GPUs on a single PCB.

I don’t think you will ever lag in WvW with a GTX 690 or 680 granted the game is hiding how many players can appear on your screen at once.

in WvW

Posted by: Raffie.7865

Raffie.7865

My video card is XFX GTS250 and only see lag when in a big WvW battle.
My system runs fine.

Good reading here.
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

www.infowars.com and also lookup Agenda 21
www.graystatemovie.com its coming if you like it or not.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuoper.7503

Nuoper.7503

3K USD for a game?!