Will someone think of the roamers?!

in WvW

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

While the WvW ranks have been and will probably be even more “farmed” by zergs and karma trains, small scale roamers will probably have – on average – a lower rank than players that spent more time in zergs.

This will probably mean that they will receive rewards slower, and that doesn’t sound really fair.

Since the number of kills would probably follow the same pattern as the rank, I was thinking that the total number of stomps in WvW would probably be a good statistic, alongside the rank, to account for when calculating the pips.
Roamers stomp their victims more often than zerg players, so it could balance out nicely between the varied WvW population.

TL;DR: add a pip bonus based on the total number of stomps in WvW, so veteran roamers with a low WvW rank will receive rewards at a rate similar to their fellow zerg/karmatrain players.

in WvW

Posted by: K THEN.5162

K THEN.5162

Although I am a roamer myself and would love to have more rewards, keep in mind that WvW is based on large scale battles with many players duking it out at once. If Anet wants to focus on smaller scale battles then they would direct their attention to pvp

Elementally Challenged Asuran Roamer

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Using total number stomps and kills is a silly score metric, so I think it’s a bad idea. This puts WvW players into boxes that doesnt really exist to begin with – I can solo roam on my scrapper one hour and zerg on my necro the next.

Such bonuses outside of WvW rank should come from active gameplay, stomps or kill counts, ie what you have done since you joined WvW this session and reset when you log. Should stomp top out the bonus earlier (just like WXP gains)? Of course. A single stomp should equal 5 normal kills or something IMO.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Orrr lets just sit and wait till patch hits and see how much of an impact our ranks will have on progress?

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

Although I am a roamer myself and would love to have more rewards, keep in mind that WvW is based on large scale battles with many players duking it out at once. If Anet wants to focus on smaller scale battles then they would direct their attention to pvp

This pretty much. Roaming is somewhere between pvp and wvw zergs, it’s almost impossible to balance the rewards. Giving more xp for kills for example would make zerging even more profitable, capping supply camps, killing sentries is something that can be done by both roaming parties and zergs so that’s impossible to balance either.

At the same time they could implement sharing xp, like xp being divided by the players that tagged enemies b4 getting the kill but that would decrease drastically the xp from zergs. Zergs are the priority for anet and the basic form of wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I will say add in a new wvw repeatable achievement which award small scale combat.

Only foes you’ve killed was recently being attacked by not more than 3 enemies will count towards this achievement. So roamer is much easier to gain progress on this repeatable achievement.

in WvW

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

I was thinking that the total number of stomps in WvW would probably be a good statistic, alongside the rank, to account for when calculating the pips.
Roamers stomp their victims more often than zerg players, so it could balance out nicely between the varied WvW population.

TL;DR: add a pip bonus based on the total number of stomps in WvW, so veteran roamers with a low WvW rank will receive rewards at a rate similar to their fellow zerg/karmatrain players.

That would just encourage Scrappers in zergs for selfish play though (maybe a different objective but seems kind of selfish). I get A LOT of stomps with Function Gyro. Run over enemy zerg, enemies lying on the ground, target victim, Function Gyro (stab trait), Profit.

in WvW

Menaka.5092

Roaming has always been part of WvW. The existence of smaller objectives (ruins, shrines, camps) and the stomp bonus on the borderlands buff is testament to that.

It just seems like the pip rewards are skewed in favor of zerg play and karma trains and I’m throwing there ideas about how to make it a bit more balanced.

/shrug

in WvW

Menaka.5092

Using total number stomps and kills is a silly score metric, so I think it’s a bad idea. This puts WvW players into boxes that doesnt really exist to begin with – I can solo roam on my scrapper one hour and zerg on my necro the next.

Such bonuses outside of WvW rank should come from active gameplay, stomps or kill counts, ie what you have done since you joined WvW this session and reset when you log. Should stomp top out the bonus earlier (just like WXP gains)? Of course. A single stomp should equal 5 normal kills or something IMO.

I might have worded it a bit confusingly, but I only meant to use the total number of stomps, not kills (since kills have been farmed exactly like ranks in the past).

My idea is that WvW rank does not reflect how “veteran” a roamer is, compared to a player that spent most of their time in large scale zergs.

Let’s say the total contribution of additional pips based on your “experience” you get is 10, make that you can gain up to 6 based on your rank (derived mostly from zerging and PPTing), and up to 4 based on how many stomps you performed (derived from small scale fights and roaming).

Dunno, seems a tiny bit more fair..?

in WvW

Posted by: Joel.8705

Joel.8705

to be honest i dont see how they could impliment roaming as a rewardable thing to do the problem i think that wvw has had for the longest is that they cant decide if the want to go for an organized playmode or a sandbox and therefore the rewards for wvw as a whole has been sufering for years.

in WvW

Menaka.5092

I was thinking that the total number of stomps in WvW would probably be a good statistic, alongside the rank, to account for when calculating the pips.

That would just encourage Scrappers in zergs for selfish play though (maybe a different objective but seems kind of selfish). I get A LOT of stomps with Function Gyro. Run over enemy zerg, enemies lying on the ground, target victim, Function Gyro (stab trait), Profit.

The aoe damage often kills the downed targets before the end of the cast, I don’t imagine you would be able to stomp dozens of targets per fight, right? (also, it would only benefit one scrapper per downed player)

In the worst case, anet could disable the mechanic for gyro stomps (unfair, I know).

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

I think the change might actually be good, because currently all i see roamers do is spawngank enemy. Now they actually have to flip towers/camps on the way, learn how to fight inside objectives and stuff. Also now the have more incentive to join the commanders for fights occassionally to get some extra xp and maybe learn both aspects of WvW.

Also capping towers/camps with small groups actually gives more xp than in big group, because for example flipping camp over half the XP comes from killing the guards and in large zergs most people dont get to tag them all.

Now if you wanna just duel and gank people, how is it any different than before? You didnt care about loot and rewards before, why would you now? You got like 40% of rewards before and now you will get 40% again.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/features.cfm?read=11783&game=473&ismb=1

The breakdown is +1-3 from match placement, +1-7 for Rank, +1 Commander, +1 Outnumbered, +1 Loyalty.

Since the rank reward is tiered, it shouldn’t be too big of a disadvantage. We also don’t know what the maxiumum rank needed for +7 is, yet. Also, if a roamer is doing things besides just ganking players, they should still have a decent WvW rank. It really comes down to what the threshold is.

in WvW

Posted by: Joel.8705

Joel.8705

all i hope for this update is that it will motivate pepole to get more organized to win skirmish and help their servers as whole, get on their server teamspeak and make wvw great agian!

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Wasn’t there already a feature where a Commander can appoint a few members in his squad and have these players get credit for whatever the Squad does anyway, even if they aren’t present.

This was implemented specifically for those few players that would fullfill a function that involved not being with the Squad (i.e. scouting, guard duty, etc), so they wouldn’t be left out.

in WvW

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

I think k then hit the nail on the head. What you can do is constantly take small objectives and pop boosters don’t for get the free guild hall one if you have it, you’ll rank up quick enough. I usually go on a bl tower/camp tour. Usually draw fights and helps the server out.

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

in WvW

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

I will say add in a new wvw repeatable achievement which award small scale combat.

Only foes you’ve killed was recently being attacked by not more than 3 enemies will count towards this achievement. So roamer is much easier to gain progress on this repeatable achievement.

Rofl, you have to much faith in Anet’s ability to implement what you suggest. I’m not saying I wouldn’t like that, it’s just some crazy wishful thinking.

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers

in WvW

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

You are telling the truth man. Anet don’t care about small guild how is it possible they carr about roamers.

in WvW

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

Based on the roaming happening in the last two years it’s not much different from zerg vs. zerg. It’s all about who has the bigger group to gank the smaller one. So, no updates needed.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in WvW

Posted by: Raysson.2079

Raysson.2079

They could easily balance it out a little by giving a WXP bonus for capturing objectives with lower amounts of players. Zerg players wouldn’t care since they’d probably still receive more WXP by capturing more objectives than roamers.