Winning?

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

How do you define winning in WvW? Is it PPT, kill/death ratio, achievements, something else?

For me personally, it is when I get guild groups to try and run down our small group of guild members on site. You know you are doing something right when a sea of red diverts from their objectives to chase you across a map.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

How do you define winning in WvW? Is it PPT, kill/death ratio, achievements, something else?

For me personally, it is when I get guild groups to try and run down our small group of guild members on site. You know you are doing something right when a sea of red diverts from their objectives to chase you across a map.

dear ladies and gents, it depends on what your definition of “is” is …

would you like a beret hat?

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

If you are having fun – you are winning…….

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: oblivious.8074

oblivious.8074

Fun fights (with skill) is winning.

PPT blobbing is my idea of a snooze fest

Main: Combustible Lemon – Asura Engineer
on Piken Square and Gandara.

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Finding good fights – win or lose.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

Finding good fights – win or lose.

Or draw? Dances with Lamas for the win

Attachments:

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Officially, the victor in WvW is whoever has the highest score by the end of the week.

Personally? As long as you’re having fun in WvW, you’re “winning”.

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Officially, the victor in WvW is whoever has the highest score by the end of the week.

+1.
I don’t care how people want to define winning. You come first place, you win.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Winning?

in WvW

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Coverage wins, honestly you don’t actually win anything in reality, its mainly having the most players who usually end up karma training, because other servers want to sleep really. PPT is not bad, but populations are so imbalanced, having to have 24/7 coverage; not only to keep upgraded structures is a chore unless you have enough players.

Winning fights is satisfying, especially as a Guild or as a roamer who can be useful, at least you have a challenge in front of you.

Scrubio

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

If you are having fun – you are winning…….

No I see fun and winning as two completely different dimensions.
Winning can be fun, but it can as well be boring.
You can have fun while winning, but some looses are very funny as well.

Wining is given by ANet, it could have been defined better, but it is as it is.
Or more general, it is defined by the rules of the game.
For sure the way it is defined, and our awareness of that, reduces possible fun on winning a lot. In fact it’s quite irrelevant that you win or loose, if that is already clearly decided by prematch manpower distribution. Which is a pity, as just playing for fun misses a challenge.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

ppt is dirty and mostly boring stuff. It’s like pve, u getting bored after some time of playing it.

good fights, open field, smallscale, sometimes for structures but mostly not blobbing, sometimes it can be fun aswell, but mostly if you are leading zi blob =))

gvg

banishing out of cliffs <3

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

+1.

Can you really win something if there’s no competition though? Most of the time it’s not even close.

Winning?

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Most of the above make clear, that it is currently not possible to win WvW.

To win it needs a competition with agreed rules by every participant.

As all of you describe different rules, you aren’t in a competition, so no one can win.

GvcG may be a (different) competition. There are rules the guilds agree on and that determine who wins.

But yes, even without (or because there is no) competition (and therefore no win) you can have or gain a lot fun.

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Winning is depend on you. What you call a win? Finish on the first place? Lot of players win whos never joined to wvw. For somebody if they stay alive they won.
For me a win happens when we beat the opponent in a clash.
There are people whos win when they defend a tower. Maybe they die 8 times but they come back again and again while the enemy goes away

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Winning?

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Winning depends on you and your opponent.

Take your tower example: if the attacker all fly to the Lord room and conque the tower by that, did they won? No they cheat, as they violated the agreed rules.

Take your “we bash the opponents”, if it wasn’t their goal to beat you, but it was their goal to delay you (e.g. because they are much less), such that you aren’t able to hinder their friends to take a tower. So you are fighting, then their friends tell them “we got it”, the few remainings stop fighting and you slay them. Who won?

• You? Only if they wanted to beat you, which wasn’t their goal.
  • Them? Only if you had any interest keeping this tower, but if you did not, no.
  • Both? Some would call it a win-win situation, ie. both won. But I only see that a marketing gag, that weakens the meaning of the term winning.
  • None? I would say none, both reached their goals, but as you didn’t shared a goal and rules none won.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

You win if enemy rage and won’t get lot’s of loot and wexp. You also win if you manage drop upscaled down before he manage get in cap circle.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Enemy dead, me alive. That is winning for me.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Winning?

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Enemy dead, me alive. That is winning for me.

They never die, they just respawn

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

@dayra – no use telling other people they are wrong. That is THEIR definition of winning. May not align with yours, but that is ok. I don’t think yours is wrong either – just means something different to you.

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

Winning?

in WvW

Dayra.7405

But you are aware that we end-up in babylon, if everyone assigns a different meaning to a word?

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

+1.

Can you really win something if there’s no competition though? Most of the time it’s not even close.

Meh.. You win some you lose some. If the server we’re up against out numbers us 10 to 1 I’m not going to say “they didn’t win because they had way too many people” when the week is over. Who ever has the most points is the winner, the weekly bonus rewards based on your servers performance in the previous match up makes that pretty clear. I’m not in any way suggesting that blob = skill, I’m just saying that I’m not going to deny our loss if we’re heavily out matched. Until ANet designs a system that can score based on number of defenses and successful open field battles, 100 PPT > 0 PPT.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Hmm… Idea time.

What if, at the end of each week’s matchup, we can talk to the Battle Historian to see a list of stats for the past week. Things like:

Number of player kills: [Server 1] | [Server 2] | [Server 3]
Number of player deaths: [Server 1] | [Server 2] | [Server 3]
Number of successful captures: [Server 1] | [Server 2] | [Server 3]
Number of successful defenses: [Server 1] | [Server 2] | [Server 3]
Number of dolyaks killed: [Server 1] | [Server 2] | [Server 3]

etc. etc.

Winning?

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Overall player ratio in percent.
Mean player numbers in percent per 4h time-slice, I.e. at 0:00 till 4:00, 4:00 till 8:00, …
Mean score per 4h time-slice, I.e. at 0:00 till 4:00, 4:00 till 8:00, …

ANet seem to prefer to keep the player numbers secret. However for comparison relative player ratio is sufficient and doesn’t allow to infer the real numbers.

Statements like

“Who’s, green had 50% more troops but only managed to get 20% more points. Great job!”

“During prime with equal we crushed them, they only won as they had 3 times as many player in the night.”

would have an emperical base.

Having them at the battle historian, is nice, even nicer would be to have them in the API, such that sites like http://www.gw2score.com can produce fancy evaluations out of them.

PS: Which objectives got flipped how often by each server you can already see there. And the score distribution between objective possession (score from tick) and bloodlust-stomps+doylaks+sentry’s (Score not from tick) you can see there as well.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

Winning in WvW is having the highest total score at the end of the matchup. This isn’t up for debate, it’s the only visible score for a reason.

Whether this victory has any meaning however is an entirely different topic of course.

Winning?

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Winning in WvW is having the highest total score at the end of the matchup. This isn’t up for debate, it’s the only visible score for a reason.

Only server winning is defined that way. Individual victory can be achieved any number of ways. Winning to many is defined as being successful in ones endeavor.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

Winning?

in WvW

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Deso was ticking near 0 last week during the night AFAIK, we were being spawn camped, but eventually pushed SFR back and took the keep back, which felt as good or better than ticking high I feel.

People would take this scoring system seriously if we had close MUs and if it had more meaning.

Scrubio

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

Only server winning is defined that way. Individual victory can be achieved any number of ways. Winning to many is defined as being successful in ones endeavor.

Yes, but your question was “how do you define winning in WvW”. There is only one answer to that.

What you are describing would be winning open-field fights, or small scale engagements, or even a prolonged battle over a key objective. These are all perfectly fine ways to have fun and most of the time is all you can ask for in a scoring mode as inherently flawed as WvW. Nevertheless, that’s not how winning in WvW is defined.

What you are saying is equivalent to suggesting that in any other competition, the losing team (who lose as described by the rules of the game) can claim they won because of some arbitrary measure they defined – such as they “had more fun” or “played better even though they lost”. Nobody will take them seriously. That’s not how competition works, no matter how flawed WvW’s brand of “competition” is.

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

The problem with WvW is that one can be successful in their endeavors (e.g., getting dolyaks to sites and upgrading them) and even successful in terms of points while one is playing, yet the game will tell you that you are not winning or are a loser through rewards and points. I lose gold when I spend my day doing defensive housekeeping in WvW while the players out fighting in the field are getting gold, equipment drops, karma, and so on. Yes, I may feel like a winner when I get the dolyaks into a tower to complete the door upgrade and I might even get a gold medal on my screen when I get a dolyak in to it’s final destination, but the game makes me spend money to run upgrades and gives me no loot for successfully running dolyaks, so the game is telling me I’m a loser. And yes, I may feel like a winner when my server controls SMC and we are earning more points per tick than the other servers, but the total score showing us 20,000 points behind tells a different story, that we are the losers. That disconnect is a problem.

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

Winning?

in WvW

Posted by: John.4879

John.4879

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women

Tarnished Coast – Warrior WvW Commander and Zergling

Winning?

in WvW

Straegen.2938

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women

First Conan quote… you sir win the coveted Eye of the Serpent ruby!

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]