Wishlist: Gaining Commander Tag

in WvW

Posted by: Alexa deStrange.8612

Alexa deStrange.8612

I feel need to post this, as I am starting to see a fair few of questionable commanders roaming around (there are still some good ones – those that see me work with you, you know who you are.)

please make commander earn their badge with something like:

- 25k Kills in WvW.
- 500+ gold spend on upgrades.
- 2500 successful fort defences.
- 2500 successful fort invasions.

please, no more inexperienced commanders, seeing a map filled with blue airheads march their lemmings to slaughter is not a fun experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Ghedoriah.4290

Ghedoriah.4290

You do remember that commander is not a WvW-exclusive thing?

Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

well then they should make 2 commander tags
one that is bought with badges or other wvw means that has a different look to it

and the regular one that any pug can buy with gold.

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in WvW

Posted by: Ynot.8397

Ynot.8397

I feel need to post this, as I am starting to see a fair few of questionable commanders roaming around (there are still some good ones – those that see me work with you, you know who you are.)

- 25k Kills in WvW.

please, no more inexperienced commanders, seeing a map filled with blue airheads march their lemmings to slaughter is not a fun experience.

You do know that people who play often in T8 do not have 25k kills, right? I have 9k I think and i play quite a bit. 500+ gold on upgrades i quite a bit. That many fort defenses and invasion are also very high.
Do you play T1? It is a very different world down a few tiers where wiping a zerg doesn’t get you 40 kills.

Ferguson’s Crossing→ SoS→ DR→ EBay

in WvW

Posted by: Pitillidi.3917

Pitillidi.3917

I think you’re right, they should make it to where a commander tag is not visible in wvw unless they have completed all of the following.
25k kills reasonable, except zerg kills don’t count. Anyone tagged by more than 5 people does not count towards your 25k kills.
500 gold spent on upgrades has to be gold earned in wvw, not pve or bought with gems.
2500 keep defenses and captures, they should all be captures or defenses of smc.
How many do you still have to complete?

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

You forget Commanders who only lead their own guild members. Everyone should have an equal opportunity to do so. Be it a small group commander or a pug commander. If anything I would like to see either a toggle or a separate tag for those of us who could care less about commanding pugs, but only want to command guildies. I would be happy if only other commanders and my guild members could see me tagged up.

To be honest though, saying only certain people should be able to be a commander is pretty elitist. Even seasoned commanders make mistakes or misjudge a situation. The only real way to learn is trial by fire. Have some patience, give people time to learn, and by all means send suggestions and offer to help teach those that are new or are making newbie mistakes.

Just my 2 cents.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Anths, & Muadine on NSP come to mind from leading the Temple zerg.

Just sayin…

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

The system is fairly self regulating as it is. Bad Commanders will, eventually, never be able to pull a group together.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

in WvW

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

No activity in this game, except for actual training, guarantees that someone with the commander icon is indeed a good commander. So, what’s the point in making that icon annoyingly hard to get?

100g is expensive enough so not everybody just buys the icon to troll WvW, we don’t need any further restrictions.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Most of the good commanders don’t even bother trying to command anymore because they get flamed and or ignored

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I can’t quite believe there hasn’t been much changes to the all important commander or party system, I’ve seen people with tags who have not much clue and just confuse the pugs especially with multiple tags or when we try a guild raid it would be nice to make the tag only visible to our guilds, yet we get these arrow cart buffs, gimmicky traps, wvw ranks etc.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

In other words hard core zerging T1 + karma trains full time for what 4-6 months? No thx.

It would be nice to have at least some WvW related requirements for the title though, like 10x less than the OP’s numbers. And then, say 50g, rather than 100.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

in WvW

Posted by: Esoteric.5490

Esoteric.5490

If you’re a good commander, people will follow you. If you are a bad commander, people will learn to not. Please use the search feature and recognize that there are HUNDREDS of threads just like this one that have resulted in ANet not changing a thing because the current system is fine.

Blackgate Forever,
Riven – [KnT] GM – http://KnightGaming.enjin.com
Commander – Grand General of Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I think you’re right, they should make it to where a commander tag is not visible in wvw unless they have completed all of the following.
25k kills reasonable, except zerg kills don’t count. Anyone tagged by more than 5 people does not count towards your 25k kills.
500 gold spent on upgrades has to be gold earned in wvw, not pve or bought with gems.
2500 keep defenses and captures, they should all be captures or defenses of smc.
How many do you still have to complete?

Sometimes I wish there was a -1 button.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

If you’re a good commander, people will follow you. If you are a bad commander, people will learn to not. Please use the search feature and recognize that there are HUNDREDS of threads just like this one that have resulted in ANet not changing a thing because the current system is fine.

Exactly. Commander tag is but a cosmetic and each of them earn their merits through actions on the battlefield.

Working as intended, no Anet intervention needed….

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

I feel need to post this, as I am starting to see a fair few of questionable commanders roaming around .

and you have the choice to stop following them?

in WvW

Posted by: Krakah.3582

Krakah.3582

All the subjective good vs bad commander aside.

Commander Tag Wish list:
1. Option to purchase via badges
2. Account bound
3. Badge purchased tag be a different color than the one purchased via gold.

-KNT- BG

in WvW

Posted by: Erinshaw.8035

Erinshaw.8035

I know where the op is coming from but 25k kills honestly. As a commander I am a long way off that because I do not zerg. I have teams repairing building siege. Doing sentry duty etc. The problem with most people is they do not read chat or better still are not in voice comms for their server alliance. If you were you would know what was going on without the need for a blue dot. Also if you cannot work out which commander has a reputation positive or negative then you must be mindless. There is more than the 100 gold cost to commanding —having lots of siege to drop-—-doing upgrades for no reward—-I could go on but well to post in the first place shows you have no real understanding of the expectations. Nevertheless you have your opinion but not one many share.

The Older Gamers (TOG) wvw guild leader

in WvW

Posted by: wish.3102

wish.3102

I’d like to see something like this, I think your gold spent requirement is a bit much though. I also dont think it would work because that isn’t something that is counted by the game as far as I know. Just sticking to things that are currently being tracked would be better.

But I would like to add that I want the old icon there and to remain the same and work in WvW, I just want the WvW icon to be a different color, like red. That way you can have 2 different tags for 2 separate purposes (main zerg+havoc group or something) and all the pugs will know which commanders are WvW commanders based on the fact that the red one cant be bought with gold.

Jade Quarry. RNG/THF/GRD/WAR
SovietSpaceDogs[SSD]

in WvW

Posted by: Erinshaw.8035

Erinshaw.8035

Fair enough but the difference in getting the red one would depend on whether you are tier 1 or tier 8/9 I know there are some great commanders at the lower tiers that are worthy of it but if it is based on any numbers then T1 would get it very quickly. T8/9 might never get it. At the end of the day its the players who decide whether you are good or terrible and its their response that matters not some pre determined bench mark that says nothing about how good you are as a leader

The Older Gamers (TOG) wvw guild leader

in WvW

Posted by: Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

You forget Commanders who only lead their own guild members. Everyone should have an equal opportunity to do so. Be it a small group commander or a pug commander. If anything I would like to see either a toggle or a separate tag for those of us who could care less about commanding pugs, but only want to command guildies. I would be happy if only other commanders and my guild members could see me tagged up.

To be honest though, saying only certain people should be able to be a commander is pretty elitist. Even seasoned commanders make mistakes or misjudge a situation. The only real way to learn is trial by fire. Have some patience, give people time to learn, and by all means send suggestions and offer to help teach those that are new or are making newbie mistakes.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree, I REALLY wish that buying a tag gave you options such as only guild members can see you, and your symbol shows up as a different color for squad members so that zergs can be easily kept separate – this would also give more people a reason to join a commander’s squad.

DH Yak’s Bend – Perfect Dark [PD]
Dr Hoppenheimer – Engi / Meowzir – Guard /
Mulcibur Nox – Ele / Mr Directed – Mes

in WvW

Posted by: Nylana Greymoon.9576

Nylana Greymoon.9576

I’d prefer to see some sort of badges to the Commander. So if you hover your cursor over them it gives you like an info with some tokens that could imply number of kills, number of tower captures, number of camp captures, etc. Or maybe just a quick WvW XP ranking? With something like that you could see who the inexperienced Commanders are and choose whose squad you want to join.

Casual player, not into PvP

in WvW

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

Introducing stringent and arbitrary requirements which will only exclude the majority of your server’s WvW leaders from ever actually being able to get a tag will not give your server better commanders.

You will get better commanders by building a community on your server that can support its established commanders and educate and integrate its new commanders.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in WvW

Posted by: silverfire.2547

silverfire.2547

You do know that people who play often in T8 do not have 25k kills, right? I have 9k I think and i play quite a bit.

I’d have to disagree. With zero time playing ele, I was at 17,000 kills before we got out of T8.

Mira Alluvion (Me) | Hanna Bulwark (W) | Sophie Dusthaven (Th)
[CoSA]/[WWGD] // Sorrow’s Furnace (since August 2012) US West Evening Shift

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

I can’t quite believe there hasn’t been much changes to the all important commander or party system I’ve seen people with tags who have not much clue and just confuse the pugs especially with multiple tags or when we try a guild raid it would be nice to only make the tag only visible to our guilds, yet we get these arrow cart buffs, gimmicky traps, wvw ranks etc.

GW2 has the most inflexible grouping system that pigeon-holes everyone to group and play one way. There is only ONE way for guilds or player to group more than 5 people in game and it’s public. There is no system for guilds to form private squads for guild events or players to form private squads to control the number of players within the squad (orange swords over 25 people) for specific objectives. Sometimes you DON’T want to lead a whole zone, but you do want to use the Commander & Squad to coordinate better. Some of you are fine with the C&S system and that’s great. But why not make a flexible system that people can form however it works best for them.

I agree with your post CrimsonNeonite… there needs to either be a way to form private squads or guild squads where the pins are only visible to people currently in the squad. I understand ArenaNet’s philosophy that they want to make grouping in WvW accessible to everyone… but they need to realize that guilds and players have different ideas of how they like to group up and what is “fun” in WvW for them.

Running together in separate 5 person groups, marking one person who’s leading and using a 3rd party voice program is not an adequate substitution for a private squad.

Great source of frustration for many people.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

500+ gold spent on upgrades, hmmm I’ll just spend 500 gold on 5 commander tags instead.

in WvW

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

I’d be happy just being able to see guild members on the map (as long as they are the same server) as gold dots; group can still be blue, and allies green.

Or how about guild leaders of a certain rank (set within the guild) show up on the map with their rank symbol if they are representing and you are in the guild too?

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

- 25k Kills in WvW.

And when you raise the funds to purchase Anet, you can have WvW anyway you please.

Sheesh.

in WvW

Posted by: Bluesavanah.8562

Bluesavanah.8562

Whilst I agree you get good and bad commanders, your criteria are silly. I’d consider myself half reasonable yet the only one i do meet is the gold spent on upgrades. Initially I only bought it to step in on nights our main commander’s needed a break, as time went on people left the game and I now do more and more.

Not everything in WvW depends on capturing or defending stuff, sometimes you cap a keep and spend the whole time upgrading it. Can the commander be blamed if no one comes ? You get no credit for a defence but you’ve been there all night.

The criteria you lay out is often met by some of the worst players I’ve met barring the gold upgrade one. You could meet the other three zerg balling around EBG quite easily and quite fast.

The commander icon needs an overhaul granted, maybe some different colours where only guild can see, possibly an option for players to actually blockout commander’s they don’t like. But it’s possibly far down Anet’s priority list.

Commander, Malicious Mischief [MM] ,Gandara
[MM] recruiting currently

in WvW

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

and the regular one that any pug can buy with gold.

:c

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in WvW

Posted by: SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

Pick a good commander to follow, join squad. Then there’s no more bullkitten. Nuff said.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

The people that keep posting this kind of thread are the people that get angry if they die when following a commander… If you are afraid of death mate, stay inside the cidatel along with the legendary defenders… The changes the commander system need aren’t on it’s aquisition, but it’s limited crapy functions.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

Some kind of requirement for wearing the badge in wubwub, then.

OP’s list is weird, but there does need to be something stopping some kitten with a pocket full of change from leading off half the noobs/pugs on the map when they’re needed on competent wubwub commanders.

Disciple of Quag

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

The commander icon needs an overhaul granted, maybe some different colours where only guild can see, possibly an option for players to actually blockout commander’s they don’t like. But it’s possibly far down Anet’s priority list.

Yeah it seems what many players think is important, like a flexible grouping system for guilds and medium/private squads, isn’t even on the Dev’s radar.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry