World Verses World.. What is it to you??

in WvW

Posted by: Jatari Thundercloud.3794

Jatari Thundercloud.3794

Although ive done pve stuff . I know where i belong. WvW is a complex battlefield that challenges us all. Its great for many things exp karma etc but really WvW shines with all the diversity it brings. We hone our skills. we learn from mistakes and tbh its a lot of fun. I am a big guy on defense and ive seen it really work. Whats wvw really mean to you ? how has it effected you ? Have you become a better player because of it ? ok next..

Defensive Tactical Commander
Server : Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Iluth.6875

Iluth.6875

WvW for me is something that’s different every time I log in. Even though there is really only a couple of maps to fight over, the fight diversity that happens over those strategic points is varied enough to still have me interested in wvw.

Can’t get that from pve (or eotm)

in WvW

Posted by: RcKelly.9263

RcKelly.9263

It is Guild Wars 2 it has massive potential, but… ANET keep focused on Spvp trying to make it league of legends, but people just go and play league of legends trying to make it an ESport, this recent torny got just over 3500 viewers on twitch and you can bet least 2000 were just there for the precursor give aways.

ANET have failed to make Spvp a big thing they’re going to see that soon enough and then look at the other parts of the game and realize its all gone and wouldn’t be surprised if they lack funding soon enough

King Crazy The Black
A Old Lion

in WvW

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Not much lately since a couple servers have decided to team up against another server and trade wins for the tournament.

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

Not much lately since a couple servers have decided to team up against another server and trade wins for the tournament.

Man up. My sever got double teamed a lot during Season 1 by a certain server who practically invented the concept and actually ended up winning S1…the same server whining about being double teaming…

WvW is my primary go to GW2 mode. I like the challenge, the randomness. And double teaming other servers whenever possible (I just said that to be a kitten)

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

WvW means challenges and the feeling of victory…something i never felt playing PvE. Unfortunately I’m not much for PvP due to a nerve problem but I feel I can really contribute in WvW nonetheless.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

in WvW

Posted by: Exquisitor.5076

Exquisitor.5076

WvW in Season 2 means getting my achievements than doing something else for a while. I’ll come back to it, but not for a few weeks.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Right now, aggravating…. highly aggravating

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Thea Cherry.6327

Thea Cherry.6327

Right now its the ever reaccuring “i hate this nightcapping crap!” feeling i get when i see Jade, Baruch, Sfr etc. with a tick of 400+ while you try to hold something with 10 ppl against at least 40 of them.

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

WvW still offers that core of what I loved about DAoC’s RvR: teamwork.

Community working together, being part of a bigger whole, synergistically using skills, abilities, gear selection and build creativity to take advantage of strengths and compensate for weaknesses.

Refining that constantly to be your best for yourself and others.

The fun times of being jumped and winning.

The learning times of being jumped and losing.

The laughing times of an enemy determined to get your guildmate, and jumping in, catching their attention and then kiting them around the corner into a zerg.

The even more laughing times when the reverse is true.

The tense times of sneaking out the side tunnel during a 2v1 blockade and taking all the camps until 20+ enemies finally figure out where you are and end your spree. And it taking them multiple minutes to take out just 4 of you.

The solemn moments of a continued reminder that “All glory is fleeting,” (see sig).

The joy of knowing, win or lose, the WvW community as a whole has the love of this style of play in common. And that without each other, especially “enemies”, we would have no enjoyment at all. It’s the foundation for a common ground of mutual respect.

The quiet wisdom seconds understanding that so many of the things above have application in real life.

/salute the WvW community

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

in WvW

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Man up. My sever got double teamed a lot during Season 1 by a certain server who practically invented the concept and actually ended up winning S1…the same server whining about being double teaming…

WvW is my primary go to GW2 mode. I like the challenge, the randomness. And double teaming other servers whenever possible (I just said that to be a kitten)

Not the same though. There’s a difference between the 2v1 that happens naturally in WvW versus a coordinated 2v1 where two servers purposely team up to shut out another server the entire match while not attacking each other and taking turns sharing wins.

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

WvW makes people act on instinct. Pure instinctive tribal warfare.

For the Toast!

in WvW

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

WvW is a good place to learn about human instinct including your own.

For the Toast!

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Not the same though. There’s a difference between the 2v1 that happens naturally in WvW versus a coordinated 2v1 where two servers purposely team up to shut out another server the entire match while not attacking each other and taking turns sharing wins.

Crying about it won’t make it stop, get out there and fight.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: godz raiden.2631

godz raiden.2631

To me, WvW is about reading a forum that is littered with posts about an unfair strategy being implemented in tier 1, as if the rest of the servers care at all. It’s all about reading how awful tier 1, and knowing that those servers are bored out of their minds. I like to see them suffer, what can I say. Seriously guys in tier 1 servers: Whether you’re on the receiving end of a 2v1 or not, the rest of us really don’t care about you. You are not that important to us. You just aren’t. Go set up a private tier 1 forum to bicker back and forth.

All joking and slight criticisms aside… To me WvW is end game. It’s something to look forward to after gearing a character and doing all of that PvE stuff. Sure PvE has end game too, but it’s not fighting against other players. It’s an alternative forms of PvP that is more chaotic in some ways than sPvP, and has the potential to be really awesome or really awful. It has its ups and downs, and not knowing how a guild raid will go is part of the excitement. Some nights you go into WvW and don’t lose a single fight. You wipe the floor with other guilds and hopefully teach them a thing or two. Then the next night, they wipe the floor with you, having learned from you, and now the best thing you can do is learn from them. It’s just a fun experience that makes what would otherwise be a rather stale game for me fun enough to keep laying day after day. It’s a shame Anet doesn’t pay more attention to the game mode and give it the attention it deserves. It truly has the potential to grow into something better, but the more neglect it receives the close this game comes to tossed aside by a lot of its WvW community.

Godz Raiden (Thief)
Maguuma

in WvW

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

also even T1 is way too stupid to take advantage of their basic resources of supply and gold spent on siege. easy pickings

For the Toast!

in WvW

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

easy to demoralize the dupes paying for all the upgrades and all that siege and time to build it.

For the Toast!

in WvW

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

yeah who cares, not my server or yours. all we want is fights, not wins.

For the Toast!

in WvW

Posted by: godz raiden.2631

godz raiden.2631

OH EM GE I somehow managed to grab the post spot right after you without even knowing it. I must say you’re wrong though… crying about stuff has always made things better. Why try and have fun with a situation in a video game, when you can simply go on the forum and tell the world how bad you have it? Seriously, people need to know how bad one server in one tier in one region of servers in one game is getting treated. I mean, truly there is nothing worse in the world than the injustice of a server getting 2v1ed in a free for all styled three way matchup.

Godz Raiden (Thief)
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

OH EM GE I somehow managed to grab the post spot right after you without even knowing it. I must say you’re wrong though… crying about stuff has always made things better. Why try and have fun with a situation in a video game, when you can simply go on the forum and tell the world how bad you have it? Seriously, people need to know how bad one server in one tier in one region of servers in one game is getting treated. I mean, truly there is nothing worse in the world than the injustice of a server getting 2v1ed in a free for all styled three way matchup.

T1 problems aren’t they a kitten? lol :P

/stalk

You’re it!

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

To me WvW is just a great big PvP sandbox that is not to be taken seriously. It’s a place to PvP unrestricted, testing out various builds and small group roaming compositions with little to no repercussions, especially now with the removal of armour repair. PPT and seasons are uninteresting to me and have very little influence over my participation in WvW. In my opinion, all you really need to enjoy WvW is a fun, strong guild and a little bit of imagination.

Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Its the only decent thing on the game, yet being ignored….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Phlogus.2371

Phlogus.2371

It is the best place for large scale coordination and teamwork against a thinking opponent.

Phlogustus Male Char DD Ele
Molen Labe Female Human Necro
Devonas Rest – Black Rose Legion -CF4L

in WvW

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

What is WvW to me? It’s a pointless game mode that doesn’t seem to have any relevance. It’s something I hop into occaisionally to mess around with random open-world PvP or force myself to grind through for achievements.

The games take too long for win/loss conditions to really feel like they matter.

The map is too big for individual contribution to really feel like it has any sway.

Ultimately, it just feels like a random open PvP map with an arbitrary outcome since it really just boils down to who has the most active people on their server that feel like running around in a blob that hopes to outnumber the other enemy blobs.

There’s potential in WvW, but the size is so big that any strategy is just too watered down by the influence of who has the largest population of people that actually care about the objectives.

in WvW

Phlogus.2371

Dahkeus, the last few words are the key " actually care about the objectives". That makes all the difference in the world. My guild pulled defense in our borderland last night with small teams on station and response forces to plus up if larger elements came in. We repelled a breach in a fortified bay, and ended up with a fully upgraded map and 4 hours of holding our map solid, siege etc. This commitment to the task at hand freed up our allies to assault the opponent and dominate them. Our offensive forces were wiped multiple times, they were no juggernaut but they were persistent.

You don’t have to be part of a blob to make a contribution you just have to care.

in WvW

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Its just a game I play….no more, no less. Far more interesting than PvE. I don’t care about loot, achievments, ascended or legendary stuff. Or anything, really, beyond having a good time when I sign in.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

in WvW

Posted by: Luranni.9470

Luranni.9470

Working as intended nods wisely.

http://youtu.be/Og5xVeA5fcY

Luranni
Perish [FLEE]
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Grove.2835

Grove.2835

It used to be a fun pvp playground, where I could roam and battle other roamers, team up with other roamers, Run organized with my guild, compete against other players there for the same fun.
NOW its just a bunch of Hate fueled by the evil taunting name of Blackgate, where it used to be JQ and BG trying to balance out their coverage to compete with one another, while the 3rd place server would always show up and put up a good fight, there for the fun. …
But thats no more, TC has been tainted by the Hate fueled SoR ship jumpers, who have only strengthened their HATE driven relationship with JQ to take down the Hardcore guilds of BG.
I for one have no idea how its fun to play the game the way JQ and SOuRTC have been the last couple months. Holding hands with your enemy to manipulate the matchups and fighting consistently outnumbered foes? .. not my kinda game anymore.

in WvW

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

WvW is endgame for me. I go out with my guild and fight other guilds or farm big blobs, constantly looking to improve. If this game had no WvW id have no reason to play, PVE is currently laughable and has no endgame. Im really hoping Anet gives WvW, like a feature patch of its own, this year. If not then they’ll see a loss in players for sure.

in WvW

Posted by: stemare.2578

stemare.2578

WvW is endgame for me. I go out with my guild and fight other guilds or farm big blobs, constantly looking to improve. If this game had no WvW id have no reason to play, PVE is currently laughable and has no endgame. Im really hoping Anet gives WvW, like a feature patch of its own, this year. If not then they’ll see a loss in players for sure.

^ Exactly what he said.

Stemare ~ Guardian ~ lv80 ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Ci Assediamo Da Soli [SIGH] ~ Officier

in WvW

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Unpredictability, that’s all I need.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

WvW is the only thing that truly stands out in GW2. It’s one of the few things I will remember fondly, even after quitting the game.

It’s a shame though that it doesn’t receive more attention. The PvE and sPvP in GW2 are entirely generic and forgettable. But the WvW is special, it has it’s own unique touch.

Sure, WvW has problems, many problems:

From the terrible and noncompetitive scoring algorithm, over the snowballing downed-state/rally mechanic, over hard-rezzing, blobbing, karma trains, PvD and general class balance. All of these are valid concerns.

But WvW at its core is still fundamentally fun. It also offers a wide range of build- and gear diversity and an environment where all classes can shine in their own way (except Rangers, lol).

It is probably the only truly memorable aspect of the game and yet I feel like ANet would still rather pursue some sort of ridiculous e-sport ambition with the shallowest and dumbest aspect of the game rather than enhancing and expanding the only truly unique and memorable aspect of their game.

(edited by Dee Jay.2460)

in WvW

Posted by: Grove.2835

Grove.2835

Ahh the Forums where everything is QQing or tears. Kids have some growing up to do if they interpret everything that way. But I guess those are the same folks who have fun 2v1ing and ganging up on an outnumbered opponent due to their lack of skill and silly video game server hate.
Its clear that fun and gameplay are no longer important to these people, its all about farming for that 7th legendary and buying/manipulating servers for the rewards of a long kitten WvW season.

in WvW

Posted by: law.9410

law.9410

Actually solo roaming is one of the few places where rangers shine… but ya I agree it’s sad that no one really solo roams anymore. Ran into two solo roamers last night, in like 20 minutes I think it’s the lack of rewards for solo roaming, I don’t really care about rewards but it seems like most do.

in WvW

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus, the last few words are the key " actually care about the objectives". That makes all the difference in the world. My guild pulled defense in our borderland last night with small teams on station and response forces to plus up if larger elements came in. We repelled a breach in a fortified bay, and ended up with a fully upgraded map and 4 hours of holding our map solid, siege etc. This commitment to the task at hand freed up our allies to assault the opponent and dominate them. Our offensive forces were wiped multiple times, they were no juggernaut but they were persistent.

You don’t have to be part of a blob to make a contribution you just have to care.

Problem is, WvW is a playground for people that don’t care about objectives just as much as it is for people that do.

Want to get a new flashy skin and achievement points? Run around and cap ruins needlessly, let your camps get flipped just so you can flip them back and kill random guards.

Miss open world PvP from PvP servers in other games? Run around and try to gank people, regardless of where they are or what they’re doing.

Want to get map complete? Jump in WvW and run around getting PoIs and vistas.

Want to get Badges of Honor? Skip all the fighting and farm the jumping puzzles.

I don’t begrudge people doing these things. Everyone has a right to play the game as they want, but because WvW is created the way it is, competition is too arbitrary to really be taken seriously.

If I were king for a day, I’d make it more like a cross between Halls of Heroes in GW1 and War of Emperium in Rangarok Online. The battle should be large and diverse, but it should have a deliberate start and stop time where the roster on both sides is the same for the entire game. This would give a clear winner in a game consisting of only people dedicated to seriously playing and the victory would actually matter.

in WvW

Phlogus.2371

Dahkeus,
I totally understand what you are saying in the post above. We each have our own priorities.

in WvW

Posted by: Hartham.9620

Hartham.9620

WvW is farming land

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The beauty of WvW is the large scale dynamic combat. Unfortunately the setup of it has been severely compromised by balance issues, a lack of map variety and a lack of development over time.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Although I’m not good in solo player vs. player stuff, WvW has helped me to at least become more aware of my surroundings and use my skills better over time. For example, if I’m in a situation where I know we’re going to wipe, and I refuse to give the enemies any loot, I’ll attempt to escape – and I’ve gotten better at escaping those situations over time just by playing WvW.

I remember one time, a zerg was honing in on me and my health was rapidly declining, but then I had an idea. I turned my character back towards them, facing them directly, then hit the #4 skill on my staff (burning retreat), began running away from them again, then switched to air, chucked down a Static Field to stun, switched to earth and chucked down Unsteady Ground, and then finally switched to water and chucked down Frozen Ground. I looked back and they had all given up. #winning.

So while I may not be the best solo player (or even a contender for that matter), WvW has certainly taught me a few tricks just by WvW’ing everyday.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

wvw isnt special…

it is fun fighting large scale battle and winning it
it is fun fighting bigger crowds and winning it, even losing yet able to kill a portion of them has a nice feel.

but, a MMO is really fun not because of those “feelings” of accomplishing amazing feats, leading troops and then win amazing battles, hearing praises that you are awesome, beating people who are obviously less skilful than you, feed your egos and belittling people, etc…

a MMO is only really fun when you play with the right people, doing silly things and enjoying those small little moments with these people..

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Gravox the Terrible.2157

Gravox the Terrible.2157

WvW is a very long season of looking at a worthless outnumbered buff and getting steamrolled into the ground by 7 to 1 odds, punctuated with small bursts of grinding down the will to fight and enjoyment of the game for players on even smaller servers.
C’mon Half Life 3. I need you.

in WvW

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

It’s the best part of the game. And the company still hasn’t realised it.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

in WvW

Posted by: GROMIT.7829

GROMIT.7829

A constant reminder that if you are not in GvG you are looked down upon.

A constant reminder my server has no pride or wish to progress in rankings.

A constant reminder my server gives up day one when we don’t get an easy match up.

A constant reminder that my server will actively throw a match up to avoid a better rankings which causes longer queue times, because god forbid we encourage more people to play and fun instead and wait a few minutes in a queue.

A constant reminder that transferring servers is most likely beneficial to my gaming experience.

!!!! YOU’RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR !!!!

in WvW

Posted by: retsuya.4708

retsuya.4708

WvW is the real living story.

Main casts are the players/guilds not some NPC.

[WB] Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

WvW is a Game of Trolls, season 2 week 6.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

It used to be awesome,there used to be tactics involved.Free transfers gave our server huge qeueus…Now the zergs getting bigger,because the comms in “charge” can only zerg themselves,instead of using 2 or 3 tags to split up instead,the queues are getting bigger…the karma trains are there for the loot only,Its spamm 1 and stay alive…only seeing rams going up at gates because..why bother trying something else.No,wvw has pretty much died for me as it is now.

in WvW

Posted by: shocking.3269

shocking.3269

What does WvW mean for me? Despite its limitations, its large scale pvp and I’m just there to fight.

Hopefully ANet will make improvements but I’m not counting on it and my fun in WvW isn’t dependent on it. Neither is Blackgate winning every match. As I said, I’m just there to fight alongside my Server-mates.

Savajj Blayde Lvl 80 Thief
Hrafn Skaarsgard Lvl 80 Healadin Guard
Beastgate – 2vs1? Who cares! We are just here for the fight! ;)

in WvW

Posted by: GlowSticks.9734

GlowSticks.9734

Loot bags.
I think BG drops the best loot for me.

in WvW

Posted by: Nymph of Meliai.6739

Nymph of Meliai.6739

I consider myself an all round player… I do what needs to be done for the server to win… so sometimes I am spending 6 hours scouting and refreshing siege… sometimes it is soloing a few camps and ruin shrines…. other times it is roaming and following the enemy zerg giving reports…. sometimes it is hiding inside a keep for a few hours then portal a group inside for a fast cap… other times it is running with the zerg… sometimes it is pvd karma train… then I might decide to walk dollys or siege up a camp and defend it for a couple of hours.

I play for the server… I play for the point tick… I am willing to spend time defending or attacking… makes no difference to me. BUT… the thing I like the best… more than anything else in the game… is a good garrison fight that lasts hours and involves more and more people. I don’t mind if it is attack or defense – I like doing both. Something about garrison that makes for some really good intense fights and gets the passion going of all sides involved.

Nymeria Meliae | SoS
Acid Bath Babies Go Plop Plop [FizZ]