World experience acquisition

in WvW

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

So I am concerned about something in the recent blog post about world experience.

“When you participate in WvW events and defeat enemy players, you will earn World Experience (WXP). When you earn enough WXP you’ll unlock World Ranks. Every World Rank earned will come with a World Ability Point, and some ranks can even give you a new World Title.

The amount of WXP you receive from defeating another player is directly related to how long the victim has been alive."

So the two bolded parts bother me. In the higher tiers there are literally hundreds of people running around on the maps. During a keep siege, it’s easily possible to get dozens of unique kills. One zerg wiping another zerg will result in a tonne of world experience (and is a relatively trivial thing to do – usually it means you either had the beneficial position such as defending Hills keep on the bridge or you had more numbers, your individual skill doesn’t matter – it’s zerg combat). The bigger the zerg, the more the experience. Doesn’t this encourage people to run in zergs so that they can take on much larger groups of people safely and grind their world experience much more quickly than someone who runs in a small ops team flipping supply camps, ninjaing towers or ganking yaks and any defenders? Why would you do something that so blatantly favours zerging and now puts smaller groups at a disadvantage? I thought you were trying to get away from zerg combat as the dramatic favourite method of achieving things in WvW.

What about players in lower tiers? These players will progress along the WvW ranks much slower than higher tier players because the number of people on maps is smaller. Open field battles are still hard fought (in many cases harder than big zergs in tiers one, two and three which usually tend to be a curb stomp of loot bags for one side) and kills are still earned but because there is less people, your curb stomp of the enemy zerg is worth less world experience than if you had done it in a higher tier with more people. Why would you design another reason to encourage players to stack in the same two or three tiers and disadvantage players from being on a lower populated server? This current design means you will progress your world experience grind slower simply because there are less people in your competition (and sPvP shows that numbers do not make the competition harder, in most cases WvW battles favour one side over the other and the result reflects this).

I truly hope you’ve made capturing objectives and completing events worth far more world experience than killing enemy players. This would go a long way towards rewarding players who flip supply camps, gank yanks or ninja towers without punishing them for not running with the zerg. It also lessens the world experience loss for lower tier servers that still have very healthy WvW competition, just with fewer enemy bodies to farm.

PS: Permanent choices for ability points is a terrible idea. Rerolling a level 80 character in an MMO because you screwed up their build should never be a viable idea. Permanent choices for ability points without a respec option is going to take far more away from the player experience than it will give (especially once the cookie cutter ability choices become realised). This also becomes another notch in the design ArenaNet implements which punishes players for changing their builds.

in WvW

Posted by: lieutenantsharp.8967

lieutenantsharp.8967

no moar zergs please. I also agree with your concerns, very well said.

in WvW

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

without a respec option

Respec will be sold in TP :P
j/k

in WvW

Posted by: Keirion.9105

Keirion.9105

Doesn`t it sort of depend on how much wxp you get from kills vs. Events? Lower tier servers might actually have an advantage if they can karma train and get lots of wxp that way.

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Anyone know if we’ll still keep our old kill count? Will those help us with this new patch in any way? Almost 14k kills… would hate for it to get wiped…

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in WvW

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

Well said - I definitely share your concerns. I’m a roamer, I enjoy the small fights, and truly hate zerging. How anyone can find zerging enjoyable is beyond me. With this update, us roamers will get severely punished for doing what we enjoy. Winning a hard fought 2v1, will yield a total of 200 XP (if a kill is worth a 100 XP), while 20 players zerging and tagging me, will yield a total of 2000 XP (in a matter of seconds). How am I ever supposed to compete with that? This update is the worst one yet in favor of zergs. Skillless lemmings will quickly rise in rank and abilities, while us roamers are left behind.

Anet needs to realize this.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

in WvW

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

Well said.
But honestly it should be clear to us now that Anet does not actually WANT smaller fights and/or roaming. I do not think this is what they want from WvW, they want it to be ZergvZerg and battles that are much larger.
Personally i cannot stand those battles since i have 1 FPS and it will make no difference if i am there or not.
I usually tend to go for 1vX’s fights since i really like the difficulty and the possibility of winning against more than one, but i’ll probably hesitate to do that with this new patch since i do not want to be free WXP.

As suggested a thousand times wxp should scale with the amount of people killing a target. Assuming the reward is 100 xp pr. kill i would earn 300 xp if I managed to win a 1v3. If they won they would only get 33.33 xp each.
With this current system they will all receive 100 xp and the risk is MUCH higher for me, and i’ll only earn 100 xp per enemy as well.
I’m pretty sure they will not introduce this system as they have ignored the solution since we heard about wxp the first time.
I think i’ll patiently wait for Custom Arenas and more competitive features for spvp
I must admit though that i have had some fun times in WvW.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

You can not fix something you broke with the same way of thinking you used when you broke it.
Anet needs to realise this or the march patch will be the nail in the coffin for WvW.
“everyone gets the same wxp?”

Dude a: “oh, hey, guys, I managed to solo cap this supply camp!”
Dude b: “Nice job, man!”
Dude c: “You kitten! We could have gotten 30000 wxp taking it with our zerg!”
Dude d: “Yes! Don’t ruin our game, you idiot!”
Dude b: “Hey now, hey now, chill, guys!”
Dude c: “HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CHILL IF THAT kitten TAKES AWAY MY WXP?”
Dude d: “Screw this, I’m going fractals! You can’t even farm in here because of these kitten idiots.”
Dude b: “Screw you guys, I’m back to Dota.”
Dude a: “Screw you, I’m back to WoW.”

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in WvW

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

two zergs running into each other wiping back and forth = a bunch of people who have not been alive very long = low wxp per kill.

Two soloists roaming for half an hour trying to find another soloist to fight = enemies alive longer = more wxp per kill.

Now what the balance point will be no one but anet knows at this point.

AR

in WvW

Posted by: Parktou.4263

Parktou.4263

The amount of WXP you receive from defeating another player is directly related to how long the victim has been alive."

All I can say is that IF you kill me, your getting a lot of WXP. Then again SF only runs in packs of 20 so odds are it won’t be a hard fought fight so much as it will be a hard fought getaway. The zergling tactics are getting old guys.

Shocking Shorty-Asura Tempest | Magnificent Mike-Troll Warrior | Lockpick Louie- Human Daredevil
Fabio Feline- Charr DH | Viktor Virtuoso-Norn Reaper | Pocket Prestige-Asura Chrono
Killer Kasserole-Plant Druid | Frankie Feline-Cat Scrapper | Felix Feline-Charr Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Rapier.3675

Rapier.3675

two zergs running into each other wiping back and forth = a bunch of people who have not been alive very long = low wxp per kill.

Two soloists roaming for half an hour trying to find another soloist to fight = enemies alive longer = more wxp per kill.

Now what the balance point will be no one but anet knows at this point.

a zerg will get more xp then some roming guy who will spend half an hour to get some kill, while zerg will kill, overtake towers etc.

i think this is an era of glass cannons and tank build will be an xp feed.

in WvW

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

Well everything right now encourages zerging, one more thing won’t change things too much :P . I will still roam, even alone, behind enemy lines with an engi .

in WvW

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

I’m almost sure that all it means is there’s a DR to prevent people exploiting mechanics by dueling to increase their XP.
You know “hey, pssst, come here, there’s no one, I kill you, you come back, you kill me etc …”.
Probably when you get killed, you’ll have some invisible buff lowering reward for killing you.

in WvW

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

A guy roaming for half an hour, gets run over by the zerg = Lots of wxp for the zerg.

I’m almost sure that all it means is there’s a DR to prevent people exploiting mechanics by dueling to increase their XP.
You know “hey, pssst, come here, there’s no one, I kill you, you come back, you kill me etc …”.
Probably when you get killed, you’ll have some invisible buff lowering reward for killing you.

And that’s fine. Otherwise, we would definitely see guilds abusing this to farm WXP. However, every sheep in the zerg getting full credit for every kill? Pretty much game-breaking.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!