Worrying About PPT

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Grandtomatoe.2045

Grandtomatoe.2045

Is a god aweful thing to do with your mind. Stop. Right. Now.

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Grandtomatoe.2045

Grandtomatoe.2045

Its like worrying about the outcome of a baseball game and you are not even sure if your team will field any outfielders during the 9th inning.

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

They could always just remove the score counter and remove seasons. Then people could just play for the sake of playing.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Worrying about PPT only matters when you have a close match-up, as it is the Score is determined by Coverage Wars and Population – so yeah sadly it’s irrelevant for most and it adjustments to make it a more relevant Score Mechanic.

I love the strategic side but rarely see it, PvD is just boring and its kinda sad to see some people so wired in the ppt system even if you are winning or losing by a large margin.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

there is overlap between paying for upgrades and PPT. You kiss off PPT, you pizz off upgraders. That needs to be taken into account. No walls doors or siege if nobody pays for or maintains it.

For the Toast!

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

hanging by a thread most of the time even in T1. The people paying for all the supply in time and gold are sick of it and saying so. That is a leadership mistake.

For the Toast!

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Don’t reveal the score till the end of the week…

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

They could always just remove the score counter and remove seasons. Then people could just play for the sake of playing.

No thank you. Even though the score system favors the one with more coverage it also ensures that it’s not just a huge karma train. If there was no reason to hold a keep or tower then nobody will do it. Why would you spend 10g to a keep to get WP up and siege inside it to hold against enemy if you get nothing out of it?

If you removed PPT from WvW it would turn it to EotM like place where people run in a big blob farming the events and couple guilds roaming around looking for good fights and having really hard time to find them.

Don’t reveal the score till the end of the week…

This would remove some tactics from WvW. You would have to make assumptions who to consentrate and when. You could think you were doing great because you only played on primetime and at the end of the week you would just notice that your server got mobbed by 100k point difference because the other server had rather good night and morning coverage, thats even more demorilizing than seeing the score all the time to be honest.

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

there is overlap between paying for upgrades and PPT. You kiss off PPT, you pizz off upgraders. That needs to be taken into account. No walls doors or siege if nobody pays for or maintains it.

WTF? If you hold a keep, or tower for long periods of time, you are increasing your PPT. Also, zergs tend to try to go for non-upgraded stuff over upgraded. Once those are taken, they will beat their head against the upgraded keep.

Man, upgrades and PPT got hand in hand.

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Darius.1430

Darius.1430

I think this may be part of the reason I enjoy WvWing on ET so much… there is no reason to stress about PPT because it is clear that we are not going to win a weekly match anytime soon… It’s easier to just enjoy the fights, and the company of our server mates, without having to worry about all that.

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I like playing for PPT. Well shall we say playing strategy. I wish Anet would make playing for strategy more viable by changing the scoring system to get rid of the coverage factor.

(edited by Johje Holan.4607)

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

I like playing for PPT. Well shall we say playing strategy. I wish Anet would make playing for strategy more miable by changing the scoring system to get rid of the coverage factor.

Well, this week, in our match, FA is doing well on strategy. They don’t have tons of numbers, and they are ticking 300-400 at times because of their strategy.

The overnight coverage kills them and us, but hey, that is what happens when you face someone who shouldn’t be in your tier.

I’m not too focused on PPT this week. My fun is coming from playing a game of “Hey, I’m gonna take your crap for the hell of it..” and “Not in my backyard.”

Tonight, I let HoD keep those south towers (they would gangk us if we came close to them), so I just focused on keeping bay, gari, and NE tower. WE kept all of them, and even put an end to HoD flipping the NW tower (wiped them twice).

That’s how I have fun. Just fooling around. In doing so, we have kept the PPT close.

Tonight, HoD and FA thought they would roll over our BL again, but we came out with a pretty good force, led by Juggs, that ended that. Was awesome. Kept both servers from ticking over 300.

PPT is fun to play for, especially when the servers are fairly equal. Next week, we have IoJ and CD, and the last one with IoJ and CD was fun. I’m looking forward to it.

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Anybody find it more than a little ironic that a game mode based upon PPT needs to ignore PPT in order to be fun? That sounds to me like the definition of broken.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Anybody find it more than a little ironic that a game mode based upon PPT needs to ignore PPT in order to be fun? That sounds to me like the definition of broken.

Anybody find it more than a little ironic that a game mode based upon PPT needs to ignore PPT in order to be fun?

That sounds to me like the definition of broken.

broken.

Mag Server Leader

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

I say let people play to what goals they want. WvW is big enough for that.

I would also say don’t stress about things out of your control. WvW, a game mode of hundreds of people in just your match up, is largely outside any one person’s control.

Gate of Madness

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

I say let people play to what goals they want. WvW is big enough for that.

I would also say don’t stress about things out of your control. WvW, a game mode of hundreds of people in just your match up, is largely outside any one person’s control.

Perhaps the control of a single player. However, putting it under the control of many players working together in a coordinated and organized fashion is wholly appropriate. With the current broken scoring system, though, that’s not possible. Players’ actions are rendered pointless in the face of the current PPT system and coverage disparities. This is a very bad thing to do in a game; never make a player feel worthless and their contributions meaningless.

Until PPT moves from passively awarding points over time for very little effort (i.e. PvDooring and sitting on empty and undefended structures) to a merit-based system that rewards players’ actions, it will remain broken. Many suggestions for improving this situation have been made in the threads listed below:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Proposal-How-to-fix-the-PPT-system/3941295

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/New-wvw-point-tick-system/3946757

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Nerf-the-domination-of-Coverage/3462968

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/New-Point-system-idea-Objective-PPT-based

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

I’m pretty sure Cactus.2710 and King Amadaeus.8619 are the same guy. You often see them back scratching the same threads together and their post histories have remarkably similar tones.

Either that or they’re REALLY close roommates.

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Kellth.2146

Kellth.2146

PPT is what makes you win every week.

Olichann | Eredon Terrace |

Loyalty Wins Wars…

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I’m pretty sure Cactus.2710 and King Amadaeus.8619 are the same guy. You often see them back scratching the same threads together and their post histories have remarkably similar tones.

Either that or they’re REALLY close roommates.

I guarantee we are not the same guy. Check our post history … I think you’ll find that I’ve hardly been here for the last few weeks and I’d bet that he has. We just tend to see things the same way.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Infract me please.

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

Players’ actions are rendered pointless in the face of the current PPT system and coverage disparities. This is a very bad thing to do in a game; never make a player feel worthless and their contributions meaningless.

This is a very bad thing to do in a game; never make a player feel worthless and their contributions meaningless.

never make a player feel worthless and their contributions meaningless.

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Hamster, you forgot the Prosecute quote: “Nice quoting bro”

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: CyRuS.6915

CyRuS.6915

IMO: the PPT system is not the source of the problem. I agree that coverage is one of the most determinative factors when it comes to maintaining a high PPT. That also is not really the problem (imo). The problem is the dramatic differences in coverage from server to server. If the servers had balanced coverage, then the current scoring system would work fine.

It doesn’t help the real source of the problem to alter the system with the intention of making coverage not matter. What they ought to be doing is figure out a sensible way to balance the coverage. Obviously that would require some tough choices (probably things like moving guilds around, deleting/merging servers, etc…). I’ve said in a different post that there probably isn’t an easy way to do this that doesn’t upset some people in the short run. Long term solutions are what we should be after though.

At the core of competitive games/sports is the idea that each team has the same number of competitors on it. The fact that this is not the case in wvw is at the heart of the issue.

Anomaly

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

yeah, well … res ipsa loquitur …

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

I don’t have prosecute’s 4 digit extension man. I’ll add it though if we can figure it out

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Posted by: Adula.3698

Adula.3698

YOu take away ppt, all of a sudden all of wvw is like Edge, a kittenfest PVE karma train where 0 skill is required. No reason to defend, you’ll just have megablobs PVD’ing all day. WvW is already ignored enough, don’t break it this way.

Worrying About PPT

in WvW

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

YOu take away ppt, all of a sudden all of wvw is like Edge, a kittenfest PVE karma train where 0 skill is required. No reason to defend, you’ll just have megablobs PVD’ing all day. WvW is already ignored enough, don’t break it this way.

Not all are suggesting the removal of PPT. Some suggestions revolve around changing PPT from rewarding passive play (PvDoor and sitting on empty, unupgraded objectives) to rewarding active play (points awarded for capturing/defending objectives and defeating enemy players in combat). See the links referenced above.