Would factions make you quit the game?

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Hello, I’d like to give a quick introduction to illustrate my position on this “faction” talk that has been floating around.

I haven’t been playing since headstart but I’ve probably logged more hours in 2 years than a lot of the people that have been playing for longer (due to my health/living conditions). WvW is almost literally all I do in Gw2. Of course I’ve explored other areas and for a brief time after HoT I was doing a lot of PvE but WvW has always been my main focus. I’ve been on roughly 12 servers between EU and NA, I’ve commanded plenty (albeit most of it being in EotM), have been a big time solo roamer for ages up until recently when I just kind of got tired of it; basically I’ve done all WvW has to offer and then some.

I’m still not tired of it. I still play WvW every day and I still feel like it’s alive and well despite all the cries of a “dead game mode.”

I’m still not tired of it because of community and pride. I’m not certain how factions would change the game but I do know that any degree of pride I’d have for my own faction would be a lot more watered down version of what I currently have for my home server. Your server is like a neighborhood or a village; you become familiar with people and it starts to feel like a home. You can even go there just to strike up random conversation because you feel comfortable enough with your servermates that the conversation will carry. Or you recognize offending server mates while roaming/zerging and know what they’re like as a player from intimate battles. It gives WvW a special feeling of home/familiarity that I think keeps a lot of us playing despite feeling like it’s a neglected area of the game.

I love to go to EotM to relax sometimes because it feels less strenuous. It’s like a WvW playground for newbies and PUGs that might one day relieve themselves of their training wheels to discover “true” WvW. That’s all fine and good but it also has a feeling of anonymity. I don’t often recognize names that I see there and I don’t really feel like I’m fighting for anything. It’s just red versus blue versus green. I’m not going to have any type of competitive hatred for these colours because one week I might be fighting someone and the next they might be my allies. In real WvW, that never happens and that’s why you develop a competitive distaste for certain servers.

To some, it might sound like a negative side effect that could be remedied with the anonymity of mega-server WvW but it’s really not a bad thing. It just gives you a type of pseudo-patriotism that makes you feel like your server is worth fighting for to beat up those guys. Those bad guys you just oh-so wish to see defeated that mega-server WvW like EotM doesn’t accomplish.

If they pack everyone on to one server, like for example, shove a bunch of people on to JQ that stay JQ but changes colours every week, then that wouldn’t be quite so bad albeit confusing with how many players there would be. But if people aren’t really on a server, they’re just rotating out every week like EotM then it loses a lot of that special community feeling that servers provide.

I understand the idea that those of us on lower population servers should move up but I hope others understand the idea that not all of us care to move up. We love our server and our friends there too much to care that we’re low pop. Of course if factions become a thing we can still talk to our friends but one week they might be our buddies, the next we might be fighting them and personally I’m not cool with that…

So I don’t know about everyone else but if factions become a thing it may very well be the straw that broke the horses back… I’ve weathered a lot of things through out my days in WvW and this isn’t one of those things I’d be willing to weather.

See memories of good and bad times attached below:
1) Golem rush week on Crystal Desert, #winning
2) Siege trolled on Ferguson’s Crossing.
3) The one time we managed to pull that kind of PPT against Dragonbrand!
4) 25 PPT during Isle Of Janthir’s downfall against Fort Aspenwood. I sieged a camp and held my ground for 4 hours.
5) Going ham on Desolation EU – everyone put a commander tag up just for lolz and we rolled all of EBG (back before coloured tags).

Attachments:

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

I’m right there with you on this. You’ve written my thoughts exactly.

It will be the final straw for me too, sadly.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

No, factions won’t make me quit if implemented properly. The people I like playing games with are in my guild. The other people I like are in my friends-list and stay in touch regardless of where we end up. I can’t muster enough care for server pride as it’s just a database and players have been transferring/quitting enough for patriotism to be simply delusional.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

NO, I had a better time with my guild, who I spent 2 years with, which split about 3 times, but still ended up with a couple former guildies who formed a HC wvw Guild.

Compared to Desolation; where I’ve seen a large chunk of acquintances and friends leave in the past 3 years, there’s little attachment to be had there, due to transfers and difference in wvw philosophy now. And transfers totally break communities up, unless they’re restricted.

PPT just causes silly drama, over how we want to spend our time in WvW, worrying about tick and scores, as though it matters to community at all. The new mechanics just make it less for people to really care about. I’m too old for that.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: AnomalyTea.1850

AnomalyTea.1850

Sadly, yes, it might. I play the game almost exclusively for WvW. Sure, I venture into PvE sometimes because rewards in WvW are lacking, but the removal of WvW very well might cause my departure despite having been in GW2 since launch.

And for clarification, the proposed changes are indeed the REMOVAL of WvW. The maps may be re-used, and many of the mechanics as well, but WvW will be removed and replaced with GvG. I have no interest in GvG. I do have an interest in WvW. GvG is not fun for me, WvW is. If a game does not provide fun for me, I have no reason to play or spend money on it.

in WvW

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

I would gladly welcome them going to a mega-server system if it actually populated the maps. Server pride isn’t something that’s worth letting the game die over.

in WvW

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

I played other games with factions, and they ended up being kitten since in the end it turns out that human beings do not want to fight for the win, they want to join the winning team, so from those game that have this implemented it mostly turns our that one team will faceroll the other two. And in the end people will be tired and leave and those left are there to farm something. This is also what happen to EotM (Green team anyone?) when it came out. In the beginning it was actually tried by wvw players but we left it fast and then green team became the winning team and people started to use it to grind stuff.

WvW in GW2 is different because of the server pride. I understand that this is something that is not working properly in lowest tiers, but in EU we have at least 17 servers with dedicated comunities, might be more i don’t know much about the absolute lowest tiers except from what i heard. Removing servers means there is nothing that will keep you tied to something. So the only thing that will be important is the win, and that is were all other games have made it wrong. They created factions. And it failed. None of those game have been able to keep their players interested in nearly 4 years like gw2 and wvw have.

So as a answer to your question. When they change it to factions, i will join it as i did with EotM and see if my predictions is right (as they were with EotM) and when i see they are, i will most likely not play wvw anymore, because i never favored games that only have faceroll trains (no not even if i am on the side with the train), were chats are so toxic and rip groups appart, and enemies taunting on the other side telling how bad the other two groups are.
I spend 3.5 years in wvw, 7000 hours of gameplay in a game mode that i loved and could not wait to log in to it each day. If it turn in to factions or the like were no servers are tied to the people playing it, i will not stay and watch the game mode die.

in WvW

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

Only if they limit my playtime.

I am happy as long as I can : Join wvw whenever I want. Run solo/small group/mid group/zerg whenever I feel like, have fun with people to play with and against.

I don’t care what my team or server or faction or color or w/e is called.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

I won’t be happy, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’d quit. I’d try to adjust, at least.

I really do appreciate server pride, though. On SoS, we have a decent sized core group of players that have been here forever and have no plans to leave no matter what happens. I love seeing that group expand, too. With factions, it’d be impossible—we aren’t all in the same guild because our playstyles vary. Some want a zerg, some prefer scouting, some want to use elite builds and be the ultimate fight guild, etc. Even personalities and preferred guild environment differ.

Thus, we couldn’t all fit into the same faction. Any faction I did join would inevitably have less variety of people, too.

in WvW

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

I’m of the belief whatever setup we end up in, the community will manage to re-invent it’s pride. Whether that is faction pride, guild pride, whatever the case.

Just please don’t limit my style or playtime. Thanks love ya!

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I have played WVW since game launched so I have done it all. Everything from roaming (solo and in group) to havoc, to defense / babysitting to zergbusting, gvg and the kitchen sink. I have done it all both in guild and server communities.

Things that I have found absolutely utterly boring and out of place are gvg and solo roaming.

What is left for me is to run in organized or semi organized server groups on TS. Getting to know some people etc. That is the sole and only reason I currently play WVW, and for that matter GW2, since without WVW the rest of the game feels just completely lacking. to me whole SPVP is nothing more then training wheels for WVW roaming and going 3 v 5 or higher, likewise, PVE is nothing more then resource farm + way to get down some muscle memory and timing for new builds to use in WVW.

With a faction system the community will be killed off completely, and so will my reason to play this game. So yea, I will be leaving, not just WVW but the game as a whole.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Server Worlds, Factions, Guild Battlegrounds.
All can be good it depends on the implementation. In the end you should fight for the fame of your guild (It is Guild Wars) and yourself. And is should be fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Short answer:

Removal of servers and replacing them with guild/whatever alliances would be bad choice.

Many people have no idea how many thousands of hours and thousands of gold some people put into making their server community. Many enjoy the PuG side of game, no need to belong to any guild (except for guild upgrades/influence). Yet not PuG with huge bunch of people (EotM color division is too large “community”) but with the same players day after day. I would call it friendship, but friendship within the same server.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Make my game better

What I want is

• heavy player vs player interaction
  • Balanced coverage
  • To be able to group up and play with my guildies/friends

Factions? Servers? Who gives a crap. Give me the best.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

A lot of the “fights” people underestimate the importance of PPT players’ roles in creating the environment for fights.

There’s some pretty interesting symbiosis between the fights players and PPT players that makes WvW fun for both.

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

A lot of the “fights” people underestimate the importance of PPT players’ roles in creating the environment for fights.

There’s some pretty interesting symbiosis between the fights players and PPT players that makes WvW fun for both. But if you merge into factions, you’re going to lose the PPT players. And a lot of the fights will go with them.

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I would most definitely quit, I am close enough to it as is. It would serve as the last nail. Not just the game mode, but the entire game, seeing as PvE is dull as hell and sPvP is now a joke.

While it seems many people have trouble grasping the concept, server pride is indeed a thing. It’s about community. I don’t want to be in a WvW guild, I never have. I don’t enjoy running in a zerg or a pre-approved build.

If they had simply done the sentry and dolly improvement and some other fixes on the old borderland, plus class balance patches, but beyond that left it well enough alone, I could have kept on playing.

The game mode could have had years. But instead this.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in WvW

Posted by: gitflap.9031

gitflap.9031

You break something, roll back to it’s last good state, pre HoT in this case, and try again. Or break it some more so it becomes unrecognisable but hope that people who loved it before will learn to love it again in it’s new, sad, disfigured and neutered state. Fat kittening chance!

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

I liked server communities, I’m concerned to see them go.
I do recognize the flaws in that system however.

I won’t automatically leave if something new comes, but I’m not of a mood to keep hanging around for much more poor implementation. If I lose my community while gaining only endless keep trading or blobbing, that’s it for me as a purchaser.

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

While I don’t really log in very much anymore due to my disappointment with the new maps guild upgrades, a faction system would sever any ties I have to the game. So that would remove any reason I have to log in at all anymore.

That being said, here’s the problem with a faction system. Aside from Tier 1 and partially Tier 2, the vast majority of the players in NA, are from NA. But that isn’t where matchups are decided. Matchups are decided by OCx, SEA and EU coverage, where it’s a small number of people going against an even smaller number of people. So if you put in a faction system, what would happen would be NA primetime would be completely overflowing, but outside that, you’d only have enough players for 1 or 2 matchups.

It isn’t that servers are massively different during NA primetime. It’s that they’re massively different outside of NA primetime. Factions wouldn’t change that. So Factions would just be destroying communities for zero gain whatsoever.

Bottom line, It’s not a matter of bulk numbers, it’s a matter of round the clock coverage. No matter what sort of grouping system they use, it’s not going to make half of the playerbase nocturnal. The only real solution is to balance out off peak coverage. Either by by merging the NA, EU and China servers, which has its own massive difficulties and complications, or by doing something about the system itself to at least lessen the effects of off peak coverage. Doing anything else isn’t going to help, and will only create more problems.

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

While I don’t really log in very much anymore due to my disappointment with the new maps guild upgrades, a faction system would sever any ties I have to the game. So that would remove any reason I have to log in at all anymore.

That being said, here’s the problem with a faction system. Aside from Tier 1 and partially Tier 2, the vast majority of the players in NA, are from NA. But that isn’t where matchups are decided. Matchups are decided by OCx, SEA and EU coverage, where it’s a small number of people going against an even smaller number of people. So if you put in a faction system, what would happen would be NA primetime would be completely overflowing, but outside that, you’d only have enough players for 1 or 2 matchups.

It isn’t that servers are massively different during NA primetime. It’s that they’re massively different outside of NA primetime. Factions wouldn’t change that. So Factions would just be destroying communities for zero gain whatsoever.

Bottom line, It’s not a matter of bulk numbers, it’s a matter of round the clock coverage. No matter what sort of grouping system they use, it’s not going to make half of the playerbase nocturnal. The only real solution is to balance out off peak coverage. Either by by merging the NA, EU and China servers, which has its own massive difficulties and complications, or by doing something about the system itself to at least lessen the effects of off peak coverage. Doing anything else isn’t going to help, and will only create more problems.

Well, if they DO cap overall participants it will force alliances to choose a ratio of coverage.. Too many offhours might win ppt, but will also cripple your primetime force… Which tends to snowball. Nobody likes being outnumbered, especially when that’s guaranteed to be your situation every time you login.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It wouldn’t make me quit the game.

I play EOTM about once a month. That’s about how much I would play these factions as set.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Grav.3568

Grav.3568

Factions can’t make me quit the game because HoT already did.

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

I would quit, but I’ve already been playing less and less due to Anet’s lack of attention.

95% of the community (whatever, so I made it up) hates the stability change from mid-March. Ignored.

Feedback on the new maps in beta:

Get rid of turrets. Ignored.

Oasis event is dumb. Makes the center of the map unimportant almost all the time compared to an existing system that makes the center of the map important all the time. Favors the first place server. Causes insane lag when active. Ignored.

Map isn’t too big, but there are so many obstacles to get from point A to B that it takes a longer time to get from point A to B. (For esample, huge stone cliffs in between air keep and center. Lots of zig zags needed to go north and south around air keep) Ignored.

Major class imbalances. Ignored or made even worse.

Reset night moved to Saturday (I still can’t figure out why) and for whatever reason, not moved back to Friday. Ignored.

Majority thought auto-upgrades were bad, but I think that people were willing to give it a try. I think that most of the community agrees this is a failure do to marginalizing roaming groups, making it much more difficult for smaller groups / servers to have an impact, removing strategy of yak/camps. Ignored.

WvW upgrades we’ve already unlocked now need to be unlocked again behind massive gold and time gating that only the largest guilds can accomplish. My kitten hurts from how hard we got screwed on this.

Waypoint system still needs work.

Guild catas nerfed to obsolescence.

New maps only encourage blobbing due to all the above.

PvP and PvE still gets an insane amount of attention compared to WvW.

Now, there are some good things. We did get a new map, albeit, one that needs work. Sentries are better. Not having supply tied to the upgrade process and a predetermined path is a great fix. They did listen to some things from beta, such as reducing the ambient npc population and reducing the rewards from harvesting nodes. But this pales in comparison to the above, or the immediate attention given to PvP.

Factions? Yes, this would absolutely destroy WvW for me. Server identity and community is a crucial part of WvW.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

(edited by Spurnshadow.3678)

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

WvW upgrades we’ve already unlocked now need to be unlocked again behind massive gold and time gating that only the largest guilds can accomplish. My kitten hurts from how hard we got screwed on this.

If you don’t have HoT you can’t even get the upgrades you once had.

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Server identity and community is a crucial part of WvW.

Agreed. Some people seem to think otherwise and I imagine those are the people who don’t socialize within their server but only within their guild. Not everyone either has a guild or is that familiar/comfortable with the guild they’re in.

I understand the idea that server identity and pride sound unimportant but they absolutely are important. Look what happened with automatic upgrades, it takes that feeling of success away when you manage to defend something because there was no work involved in getting it upgraded. Thus, a lot of people have stopped caring to defend at all. It’s a similar idea with server identity, without that sense of community, victory feels a lot less victorious.

We’ll see when/if it actually becomes a thing I guess but as far as I’m concerned I won’t be staying around for long if it does. I’ll see how things pan out but I don’t have high hopes… I love my server and if I don’t feel like I’m fighting for it I don’t care to do anything but blob or not play at all.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Nope, I’ve been waiting for this for the last 2 years. I have so many friends scaterred on all tier I would love if I could WvW with or against all of them.

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Server identity and community is a crucial part of WvW.

Agreed. Some people seem to think otherwise and I imagine those are the people who don’t socialize within their server but only within their guild. Not everyone either has a guild or is that familiar/comfortable with the guild they’re in.

I understand the idea that server identity and pride sound unimportant but they absolutely are important. Look what happened with automatic upgrades, it takes that feeling of success away when you manage to defend something because there was no work involved in getting it upgraded. Thus, a lot of people have stopped caring to defend at all. It’s a similar idea with server identity, without that sense of community, victory feels a lot less victorious.

We’ll see when/if it actually becomes a thing I guess but as far as I’m concerned I won’t be staying around for long if it does. I’ll see how things pan out but I don’t have high hopes… I love my server and if I don’t feel like I’m fighting for it I don’t care to do anything but blob or not play at all.

I mean, if they do away with servers, then there’s no identity. If that’s the case, then just do away with scoring and PPT alltogether. After all, what’s the point of trying to win? You have no idea who you’re winning or loosing to. And it will all change from week to week, so there will be no rivalry. Isn’t that half of the point to WvW? I think so.

I’ve been advocating for years that we need to get rid of all servers and create 6-9 new ones, creating new identities, as the population is so low, but a faction / guild leader / eotm style is not a solution.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

I understand the idea that server identity and pride sound unimportant but they absolutely are important. Look what happened with automatic upgrades, it takes that feeling of success away when you manage to defend something because there was no work involved in getting it upgraded. Thus, a lot of people have stopped caring to defend at all.

And when no one cares about defending, the fights disappear. This is something that the people who only care about “fights” don’t understand. The PPT players and fights players need each other. If you kill one off, the other group will die as well.

And at this late point in the game’s life, if you kill servers, the PPT players are going to leave the game.

in WvW

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I understand the idea that server identity and pride sound unimportant but they absolutely are important. Look what happened with automatic upgrades, it takes that feeling of success away when you manage to defend something because there was no work involved in getting it upgraded. Thus, a lot of people have stopped caring to defend at all.

And when no one cares about defending, the fights disappear. This is something that the people who only care about “fights” don’t understand. The PPT players and fights players need each other. If you kill one off, the other group will die as well.

And at this late point in the game’s life, if you kill servers, the PPT players are going to leave the game.

My point exactly. As I’d said, I understand that it sounds unimportant but it is a necessary aspect in competition whether people want to believe that or not. The anonymity that mega-server WvW brings takes away all the spirit and any fights that factions would bring would die out within a few months out of sheer boredom and repetition.

I can’t think of a valid way to explain it because I just know that it’s a necessary aspect of WvW. I’m sure there would be plenty of people that would continue to play if it were changed to factions but I’m also sure a good chunk would leave shortly after.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Deppends how factions and servers would be introduced.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

I probably would. I like my server’s community and the fight against other servers, chainging weekly. TBH for around one year now, I’ve stayed in the game due to the server community.

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

I probably would. I like my server’s community and the fight against other servers, chainging weekly. TBH for around one year now, I’ve stayed in the game due to the server community.

im still trying to understand how merges into faction would cut your server community ?

A community should get organized to know wich faction would end/choose, and then grow with other community that joined that faction.
Probably players that ur even used to fight against, and who knows?
If u know each other tactics, that would help to work with the other community and vice-versa.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: roxybudgy.8205

roxybudgy.8205

im still trying to understand how merges into faction would cut your server community ?

While a server community is primarily dependent on who is on the server, it is also influenced by who is NOT on the server.

The server I’m currently (and have always been) on has had a few periods of turmoil and toxicity because of large arrogant guilds mass transferring over and acting as if they are better than us, that we should be grateful that they’re boosting our rankings.

But any temporary boost in rankings is not worth the population decimation that occurs when that large guild transfers away again, along with a few new recruits. At one point our server tanked all the way to the bottom. Today, we have built ourselves up again through the hard work of loyal players as well as transfers who share our vision.

In PvE, it’s easy to ignore other players, and just about everyone shares a common goal anyway, so arrogant toxic players are not much of a concern. However, in WvW, numbers and cooperation are key, and having toxic players who cause drama can cause many to quit altogether.

As a result, there are a few servers in the lower tiers that have a unique identity, where like minded people have gathered together. If you’re not happy with your server, then transfer. I am yet to hear a good reason why any sort of merge should be considered when players are already free to move to a server that has what you want.

in WvW

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

I think by having “factions” WvW would become something more like EotM which WvW players (including myself) deeply dislike and generally avoid.

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

^
Good points…… :\

Still, thinking a bit more it would solve the “problem” just for some time, other problems would surge due the real issue still there.

What ic wrong here is the core map redundancy and servers mechanics, factions would be a nice thing to add but as pointed human nature would not help, and probably would end in alot of bickiring.

WvW would fit more in land control fights thant ppt karma train farm, actually i dont think it is hard to get a design for this working .being with 3 or 10+ servers.
Gaab i agree with you after some tough, that would kill the gamemode and most players would try to play it like EOTM because they are allowed to that, Anet should have learnt player behavior by this time, the thing is i doubt they really want to inovate, rather pretend** to inovate with a few changes w/o solving the main issue.

**more in a way to hide the real problem, pretend might be a blunt word to say.

Whitout those core changes players will always ignore the lame and kitten gimmmick Anet add to the WvW game, because they dont wan the game to envolve, just being a place to spam and stack….

Lucky there is no competitor directly in EU and NA market to the RvR system, the first clever company that does this right and well…. A quite portion of players wont stay in gw2 for its pvp nor pve.

Gw2 is way to much casual, a game where casual is hardcore….

sorry about the blunty comment :\

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Shukriyya.7629

Shukriyya.7629

I came for world completion to wvw, I stayed for my server community. If anet takes that away from me, there won’t be a reason to play any more.

RoF

in WvW

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

Have to play it to see but if its like eotm its fail.
Everyone knows green win every time there.
Players occasionally go there to stomp uplevels.
there is no motivation for them to actually play eotm.
Im positive about this change but have to play it first.
The community in my server were great.
Until guilds came and think their our boss telling us what we can or cant do.
So in terms of community this alliance thing wont change much for me.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Have to play it to see but if its like eotm its fail.
Everyone knows green win every time there.
Players occasionally go there to stomp uplevels.
there is no motivation for them to actually play eotm.
Im positive about this change but have to play it first.
The community in my server were great.
Until guilds came and think their our boss telling us what we can or cant do.
So in terms of community this alliance thing wont change much for me.

I win when i am red, green or blue because i carry our team.

Attachments:

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Make my game better

What I want is

• heavy player vs player interaction
  • Balanced coverage
  • To be able to group up and play with my guildies/friends

Factions? Servers? Who gives a crap. Give me the best.

^

in WvW

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

I already stopped playing, WvW not my only, but certainly my major reason for doing so. HoT gutted my main interests, solo/small group roaming.

From what I’ve seen so far the whole game is now favouring large guilds. Needing to be part of a large guild just to be able to WvW isn’t going to entice me to come back, although I’ll wait and see how it turns out.

I’m not particularly optimistic when the guy in charge thinks WvW players are PvE players. It might be true, but as a PvX player I don’t enter WvW for more PvE. How can they not see that? It’s clear that their metrics don’t hold all the answers. At the very least their interpretation on their metrics shows a lack of understanding of why people play WvW.

It’s not for more PvE.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

(edited by Pretty Pixie.8603)

in WvW

Posted by: Draeyon.4392

Draeyon.4392

What if they converted WvW seasons into this faction gametype only?
Would make WvW seasons competitive and relatively balanced.
It would also desensitize servers/players from stacking solely for seasons.
Also, since it is not based on the current server glickos, matches would be really fresh and random.

Just a thought anyway.

edit:
Would also love it if a 100man team from a faction had the option to check a timezone box so that they could be paired with players from the same timezone (it would be boring as hell if 2 factions had all NA and the last had 100 NA, 100 OCX/SEA and 100 EU)

(edited by Draeyon.4392)

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Depends on how they would do it.

I explained… thoroughly… in another thread in around what would constitute posts measuring around 25k characters on how they could properly implement such a system. Nay-sayers for the most part were either convinced or considered it “reasonable” albeit a bit begrudgingly.

Unfortunately the thread was deleted.

A summary in discussion/clarification of some of the principles of it are located here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Much-like-ESO/page/2#post5821015

I’m fully expecting WvW to fail soon enough, though, given ANet’s attitude, lack of community involvement, and their tendency to screw over WvW as both a direct consequence of their lack of understanding of the game mode or inadvertently causing substantial damage to the format through things like new skills like CoR.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in WvW

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

With only faction, aka deleting the servers, I expect that I’m going to react like in warhammer online years ago, when goa had deleted my home server Helmgart. We had a nice community there, but we have always fought outnumbered on the Order. With deleting helmgart, our community decided to transfer to Erengrad. Which was a huge mistake in my eyes, but the majority wanted so.

At first it was exciting not to lose everytime, but within hours and days, it got more and more boring and a lot of people got angry on every new arriving players , because there weren’t any fights anymore. I quit that game after one week on the new server, because a lot of players spewed insults. Well this game doesn’t exist anymore. Some may like this system, but many players have somehow a connection to their servers. For them it wouldn’t be the same.

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Forbes.1569

Forbes.1569

I transferred servers with a guild last August to find a new WVW environment. I am currently very happy on my new home server because we spent a long time scouting servers for 1) a good community, 2) the possibility of wvw around the clock 3) other active guild groups 4) a reasonable level of competition. We spent close to 10,000 gold (100-240 gold/person) because it allowed us to get the WVW experience that we desired and I am now worried that MMR may balance #4 at the cost of #1-3.

p.s. It was great to drop 695 vs DB during our first night on DH

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

I would not play near as much, only really as something to rally the guild.

I think “Factions” might just be the most idiotic idea anyone has come up with EVER. Without “Server Pride” there is absolutely nothing to fight for other than a kittenty chest at the end of the week full of blues and greens.

Those that are speculating that the “fites” will be better are kidding yourselves. It will be blobs upon blobs and any respectable “Fight Guild” will use their guild hall. All you will get is EOTM 2.0 without near the rewards.

From a business perspective, it is the best move A-Net can make. They will have full maps and can say it’s a viable game mode. From those of us who have made this game mode viable for the last three years, well… we are getting sent to the glue factory.

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Seed.5467

Seed.5467

Depends how the “factions” system will work. Currently we have no official word about the system. As a Guild wars 1 player, i must remind you that a “faction” system was present as “Alliance Battles”.

In my opinion i presuming we are going to see a revamp of “Alliance Battles” from Guild Wars 1, now that they implemented Guildhalls on Guild Wars 2. The reason for stating that is the following :

To access Alliance Battles, you must enter a guild hall that’s allied with either faction. If you don’t have a guild, a guest pass to another guild’s hall will suffice. Talk to the Alliance Battles representative, the Kurzick Kommandant or Luxon Navigator, to be zoned to the respective outpost of the current arena.

Alliance Battles Guild Wars 1

Regards

Seed

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

By the looks of it wvw is dead anyway, so factions won’t help – or only help for a short time.
As long as the fights are a mess and all strategical parts are being deleted, bugged or made super expensive (guild upgrades), there’s no hope for wvw.

ETA: IMO it’s the small things that matters in wvw – you can make events/alliances and whatever all you like; as long as the base is broken nothing is going to work.
The base for me is: class balance, blob balance (stability/boon stripping), a way to defend without being shot through walls and so on. A lot of the problems we have now have been for at least 9 months and they will likely stay for longer. Some day we might be able to port to green keep again if the npcs don’t shoot mobs from the walls.

I guess rolling back wvw to how it was 1,5 years ago with all the balance and whatnot would be really fun. Although condis were OP even then.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in WvW

Posted by: ballymun.3986

ballymun.3986

Yep, I and many others will completely quit the game if they run with this stupid factions or EOTM colours rubbish.

Have already stopped playing, gone to planetside 2 with others from Desolation EU, will see what happens when Anet eventually get the finger out, if ever. Otherwise BlackDesert is out for EU/NA in a few months and PlanetSide 2 will tide people over until then.

in WvW

Posted by: Alloy.2839

Alloy.2839

As a WvW player, the changes introduced by HoT already caused me to reduce my play time to about 30 percent of what it was previously. I will wait to see how alliances are implemented before deciding to quit altogether, but given the recent changes I am not optimistic. It also seems to me Anet could achieve many of the effects of alliances by simply removing server full status and making server transfers free.