Would you like to see WvW reverted?

in WvW

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

I don’t like the idea of a full revert – l support the idea of having three different borderland maps. That way people can choose which map suits their preference or playstyle most and assault or defend it. This gives more character and drive to the gameplay. (Why would I need to assault someone else’s desert/ice/grassland/lava/jungle borderland when mine looks exactly the same and gives me exactly the same benefits and dolyaks and everything?)

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: skruffs.1075

skruffs.1075

Sure without the kittenty lag

in WvW

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

Yes.

As soon as possible.

Edit : They tried something new and there’s no shame in that. But it has failed miserably and they can’t fix it fast enough (or completely enough) to make it worth keeping around and “working on it”

BG

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

No

Just want more variety in maps, number of maps.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Sort of.

EB, 2 alpine and 1 desert. Desert border would go to the middle ranked server.

At least that way we can keep WvW a little functional while still having the new map in to trial (not that we really need to now, we already know everything thats wrong with it).

And even if we did a full border reversal, we’d still have the autoupgrade issues.

in WvW

Posted by: Corwyn.8429

Corwyn.8429

Yes.

No doubt about it.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Yes. But i would do it partially. Fast solution 2 alpine 1 desert.

Best would be three diffrent maps.
Alpine
Desert (no oasis and underground layer)
Oasis/Jungle with underground.
So two smaller maps and three totally diffrent.

in WvW

Posted by: Boa Cinderella.1298

Boa Cinderella.1298

Yes: revert them alternately every 2 weeks, so we can compare and see the old maps getting more attention.

- Piken – [ONYX]

in WvW

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

No, keep the new ones.

With 90% of the average server’s playerbase spending more time in pve till the “newness” of that wears off, stop trying to change maps that haven’t truly been tested in full scale combat yet.

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

in WvW

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

(Why would I need to assault someone else’s desert/ice/grassland/lava/jungle borderland when mine looks exactly the same and gives me exactly the same benefits and dolyaks and everything?)

Because that map might have enemies to kill if there are none in yours, simple!

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

in WvW

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

No. Got sick of Alpine maps two years ago.

in WvW

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

NO, tnx but worked on and ppl slacking in PvE

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

Sort of.

EB, 2 alpine and 1 desert. Desert border would go to the middle ranked server.

At least that way we can keep WvW a little functional while still having the new map in to trial (not that we really need to now, we already know everything thats wrong with it).

That might be the simplest change to make and would be a very good test. Not sure if there was only one copy if the new map should be Blue or Red. If the auto upgrade business only worked on the new map then maybe Red needs it more. Also Red home border map is usually the one to get most pillaged by Green & Blue when you would think Red and Blue would be tag teaming Green instead.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

No. Love the new map, so much more diversity to it versus alpine. Example: had an awesome fight last night on a tight stair well you had to be very mindful of your positioning else you could be knocked off and killed. Added an extra depth to the fight that was missing in the flat maps.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Yes: revert them alternately every 2 weeks, so we can compare and see the old maps getting more attention.

^^ this!

I am sure the old maps will bring back many players.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

You guys do realize that before HoT came out the WvW maps were pretty dead and dying pretty fast and I’m on a T1 server, I could log in during NA time and there would be some good fights for about an hour., only night that was really busy was reset night. I don’t think bringing the old maps will do much for increasing the population. It might help putting reset back to Friday tho.

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

in WvW

Posted by: erbourguet.4378

erbourguet.4378

Yes, only temporaly, while you get the people what they want, a few ppl want to get points for wvw ranking, most people just want fights, huge maps where nothing happens is bad, and no gliders in wvw? that would be awesome, but hard to implement because poor design of maps, so…
YES

in WvW

Posted by: akeldama.6709

akeldama.6709

Would’ve been nice if they had given us the Elite Specializations and PvE at HoT launch and held off on implementing the new WvW maps until maybe a month into HoT as players are beginning to return to WvW. Too late nooow.

in WvW

Posted by: Angel.6085

Angel.6085

Yes. I’d probably even pay for it.

YB>DB>BG>SOR>TC>BG>FA>DB>SOS>BP Guardian
Formerly [rB], [OPED], [Choo]
Guild Leader [DN] Digital Nemesis

in WvW

Posted by: DemonNinja.1602

DemonNinja.1602

YES! ONE MASSIVE YES!

Aerilon Starsider
Elementalist Extraordinaire
http://twitch.tv/dustydemonninja

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Yes. I’d probably even pay for it.

yeah id buy a wvw expansion for that …. seriously i just want a normal SIMPLE wvw map with SIMPLE keeps and towers and terrain. everything else will lag wvw out and wvw is not a map that needs to look like a pve map/ like eotm and the new borderlands.
the keeps should be actual keeps and not a complex ai and particle driven maze.

garrison, hills and bay were all keeps that looked like real keeps…soo yeah it was fun defending that.. and get rid of the kitten automated upgrades. it makes 0 sense…

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Oobob.6754

Oobob.6754

Yes, the map is too big and the complicated navigation discourages fighting. It gets in the way of running to the people you want to kill. The old borderlands were straightforward to navigate but still had terrain advantages that kept it interesting. This is way too complicated and prevents fights.

It also does way too much to favor defenders without addressing the root cause of the ktrain complaints, which is that there weren’t enough people on a lot of servers to have an active defense. Oddly enough the huge size is a major deterrent to defense since you can’t move to what is being hit quickly enough, or scout the map.

On T1 ktraining isn’t really a problem, and there are lots of great fights defending objectives and they don’t just get steam rolled. Smaller servers just doesn’t have the coverage or numbers to handle these problems, and that’s the root cause of the ktrain or easy flipping of captured objectives. Biasing the map for defenders just makes it less fun without addressing the root cause of a lack of people to defend.

Cut down the number of servers, making it hard to take a keep isn’t going to address the real problem that a lot of these servers don’t have enough people to defend/maintain coverage of captured keeps.

(edited by Oobob.6754)

in WvW

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

Yes, I have essentially given up on WVW with the new maps. Too spread out and complex.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

in WvW

Posted by: Sulas.3521

Sulas.3521

Agree with Dsybok. I used to relish roaming and the random encounters but I’ve just stopped even going into WvW for all the reasons others have listed.

Eredon Terrace
Ranger primary

in WvW

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

No. Need more time to get familiar with the new desert BL map. I also think EoTM should use the new WvW BL map as a training exercise!

in WvW

Posted by: jaif.3518

jaif.3518

Make the first place borderland the alpine map, then sit back and watch for a few weeks and compare.

in WvW

Posted by: Brighteluden.2974

Brighteluden.2974

The people that are saying No, that we still need time to “test” these maps are delusional at this point. There is no more “testing” or “adapting” needed.

I’ve played WvW since launch and these new maps are horrible in design. They’re just way to annoying to navigate and it’s not even about the karma or xp. I was always a roamer and never followed the zerg and these maps make it so I see no one at all roaming around, just so boring.

I wouldn’t say I want the old maps back but they really need to look at these maps and go back to the drawing board. The automatic upgrades are also a bad idea. I’m assuming the people who designed these WvW maps never played WvW much in the first place, since the place looks gorgeous but it’s just to hard to get around atm.

(edited by Brighteluden.2974)

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

No the maps is fine but have some issues, what we really need is a decent balance patch, remove auto updates , the central event, and need more population.

The true problem on WvW is the ppt system valued by tower capture, outside this we dont have nothing to fight for, so adding more elements to wvw w/o making wvw with more stuff to fight for, will make it even more limited.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Radakill.3469

Radakill.3469

YES

Waaay too many hoops to jump through just to mix it up with the other realms, I dont see the need at all to have to run a maze of crap just to get to whats really fun, and thats interaction with other players. Its what we come to WvW for in the first place, and that should be the focus of WvW planning.

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

YES YES YES.
For the love of all that is holy YES.
Sooner the better before everybody quits.

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

YES YES YES.
For the love of all that is holy YES.
Sooner the better before everybody quits.

after grinding all my alts finally to their elite spec, i wanted to return to wvw, but the new bl is horrible. i get lost and its just not a wvw map its a pve map and as much as i can see the work that was put into it, i absolutely hate it. i will boykott this map and only play eb until old bls are back in rotation. new bl is worse pve than eotm and about 10000 times more kittened.
invisible zergs?seriously? laser events. keeplords that act like dungeon bosses. massive vertical keeps where we get lost for 15 minutes , wind blowing u off places, stupid pve shrines….and so much more that simply destroys wvw which is/well was a sandbox game mode which anet ruined because they never understood it…

old bl back please i will buy it with gems for my server!

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Problems in new maps are:

-They are HUGE
-They are blocked by walls
- I don’t even know new mechanics (like most of casual ppl)
- Roaming is hard (spent 30 mins running just to find someone to fight)

Maybe we need mounts?

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Yes, unless:

- Remove Laser
- Remove Shrines
- Remove forced upgrades → still require yak delivery/supply
- Slight tone-down on lords – flipping takes way too long without a huge blob
- Remove open-field benefits like the sandstorm/massive AOE stealth
- More open spaces to enable fighting
- Improve universal ways to navigate the environment’s layers and more clearly distinguish what leads to where. Vertical design is fine; the Alpine BL’s had massive cliffs by hills and garrison, the northern towers, and plenty of terrain by the bloodlust areas. One could absolutely take advantage by using this terrain. The thing is, these terrain objectives were clearly marked with paths, and there were not so many small obstacles and gimmicks around to interrupt the flow of combat. It’s one thing to use terrain like a large rock to block some projectiles and take cover, it’s another to be removed of the ability to teleport because your opponent is standing behind or on top of a pointless obstruction, or a staircase of ledges you’re not allowed to go up that may not be apparent.

The way the BL’s are right now, fights are inhibited. They’re beautiful, and frankly, I’d have absolutely loved to see one of them as a PvE map in the expansion. Unfortunately they simply just do not fit the needs for WvW and large-scale combat.

Another small complaint – please, PLEASE fix the background map of the WvW maps if nothing’s going to be changed; it looks like the maps got copy-pasted in MSPaint on top of the old ones :s

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Another small complaint – please, PLEASE fix the background map of the WvW maps if nothing’s going to be changed; it looks like the maps got copy-pasted in MSPaint on top of the old ones :s

Hahaha, I wasn’t sure if I was the only one who stopped and recognized this, too, or not. It would definitely be nice for polish if they fixed this up.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

YES if you don’t do what i suggest below, NO if you achieve that!
—————————————————————————————————————————————————-
I’m going to appologise to designers, they did put very good job in creating very pretty maps, butthat’s about it, designers do the job as always, but that’s about it, it’s pretty not functional and specially to big for GW2 population.

Why people don’t have interest?

• Not enough WvW effort given for mechanics
  • The only thing that we got was shield generator in 3.5 years
  • No reward changes
  • No badges changes
  • Crippled Ranking (no more guard stacks) and NO new rank things to learn
  • People have no benefit of rank higher then 1000.
  • Armors are salvagable, and not getting even close to worth of item price
  • No seasons…

Solution:

• Fix skill lag that you promised and you didn’t do it after 3.5 years. You keep collecting data for no results, then employ some1 that is capable of fixing it. Even with new maps, skill lag is not gone, far from it!
  • Keep EB as it is.
  • REDUCE NEW MAPS FOR 40%, AND REMOVE UNDERGROUND LEVEL. I would only keep the crentral area, all the rivers and side paths removed, gone, deleted please, ty.
  • There should be only 1 borderline if we don’t reduce the area, if we reduce the area, we should have 3 borderlands
  • Make borderland PPT give x3 points.
  • Player kill gives 1 point directly to the weekly score.
  • Where are seasons? 1 season in 3.5 years WTF ? So disrespectful. Seasons should be 2 months long with 14 days break.
  • Make Obsidian Sanctum a high reward if you control the top. make people fight for it, it’s nice place.
  • PUT THE RESET BACK WHERE IT BELONGS, it’s proven Fridays still have queue, weekends don’t have any queue, EVER.
Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

(edited by Firelysm.4967)

in WvW

Firelysm.4967

I don’t care about maps, I just want the fights back!!!!!!
Bring the WvW community back…. wth!

If you want fights. Go out and fight!

Just pm the enemy commander and ask for some nice fights. The new map won’t hinder you.

That’s not intended and it’s bullkitten, fights should be non avoidable….

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

• Where are seasons? 1 season in 3.5 years WTF ? So disrespectful. Seasons should be 2 months long with 14 days break.

Just going to have to respectfully strongly disagree with this point as I am sure many other regular WvWers would as well. Did you read the forums during seasons where lots of people were begging for them to end or go away entirely? Seasons are meant to be something special for once in awhile where worlds really try to work together and play a bit harder. If they were more frequent it would become like any other match up and no one would care or still be totally burnt out from the last one. I think more seasons would hurt WvW participation more than the new maps in the long run.

Frankly I think ANET is aware of all the base line mechanics that need to be changed or improved in WvW before they can start tinkering with the top layers. You wont see another Season until after they finish off whatever these big bunch of WvW improvements that couldn’t fit into the xpac and given their development cycle I don’t expect we will see that for another 6 months so maybe they squeeze a spring tournament in there by April.

I just wish we didn’t have the new map until all those changes were in place. Whatever they are, I expect the map would play better once they get all that other stuff worked out. Sure its delay would have caused a kittenstorm across the forums but I am pretty sure we would all been happier to waste our time in the pretty new PvE maps without the added stress of needing to test and worry about how to get around in the new Desert borderland.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Firelysm.4967

PariahX.6970

Ummm Well we had one season so far, I was enjoying it.
The problem is that seasons are wrongly represented, They should be a LOT more frequent, and a lot of people since 3 years now agree that we could use some seasons, because what ever happens now, no1 cares, now are matchups the same more then ever. Nothing special. No one cares. and i’m in T1 server. It’s all about karma trains for more then a year now. I’m personally roamer with strong scouting orientation.

OK maybe not 2 months then 2 weeks rest. But every quarter should have a time where

We need to change how seasons work.

Season should work like this:

• Season is 12 months long
  • Season points can be gathered every 4 weeks.
  • January, March, May, July, September, November… are the months that will add points towards Seasons score.

This would make seasons a lot more pleasant and would give meaning to WvW.

I have 4.5khours, 3,8k hours on ranger, and that’s the amount i’ve spend in WvW. I must say that WvW became boring, without having a GvG scene, i would quite WvW long ago, because there is no meaning when people stop caring, they move from server to server just to find GvG scenarios more often. I’m a WvW only player and I’m loyal to that game mode, and I enjoy WvW a lot, but lets be honest here, there must be a meaning and seasons must be more frequent. And it should be covered over entire year, not just few weeks bam, done and years of silence.

People speaking of playing for the server, when they make at least 7 jumps per year, and there are those people like me, who stayed on one server for so long, that i’ve seen so many commanders change, guilds come and go, and when you are staying on same server for so long, you know strategy of your enemy because they were once your ally and that’s the sad part. People don’t give a kitten about WvW any more even if they say they do, we all want one thing, a meaning and fixes, season is not a bad thing, it’s just implemented wrongly.

Getting exhausted during season made me laugh too.

(edited by Firelysm.4967)

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

revert everything.
basically WvW runs on it own now just need people to karma train for the rest dont look back at it cus it will upgrade it self.

towers/keeps have no value anymore no1 gives a kitten to deffend a thing

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

• REDUCE NEW MAPS FOR 40%, AND REMOVE UNDERGROUND LEVEL. I would only keep the crentral area, all the rivers and side paths removed, gone, deleted please, ty.

Lol you know you could have just summed that up and saved alot of words:

*Delete the map

You cant scale down the map as every single object of the map would be out of place, out of scale and no longer fit together with the terrain. You cant just remove entire parts of it and pretend like that’s going to make it any better (in this case, it would remove bay).

TL;DR
The map cant be fixed without making it a new map.

in WvW

Firelysm.4967

*Delete the map

You cant scale down the map as every single object of the map would be out of place, out of scale and no longer fit together with the terrain. You cant just remove entire parts of it and pretend like that’s going to make it any better (in this case, it would remove bay).

TL;DR

If they use bad programming practice yes, but if they use advanced stuff they can easily adjust terrain by width and height, and objects will stay in shape while collision will stay on spot.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

*Delete the map

TL;DR

If they use bad programming practice yes, but if they use advanced stuff they can easily adjust terrain by width and height, and objects will stay in shape while collision will stay on spot.

What “advanced” stuff would they use? AFAIK GW2 is using pretty much the same system as every other game – a terrain heightmap with a ton of objects at XYZ coordinates. All objects would be scaled at their transform points even if you account for scaled positioning on the flat plane. Meaning the walls will disconnect and the hills will fly.

Plus, all the objects and areas that are proper scale now – even if the map is big – would be too small in scale in turn. Shrine and camp cap points would become cramped, canyons too small, doorways you have to crawl through, stairs you have to go up sideways to not fall down, etc.

But yeah. Sure. Magic will fix it.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

WvW was good first week when people did run alone and tried to kill stuff, but then i saw some weird blob in bay wall that got [RG] tag. They played like idiots and stayed very close eachother. I was like “what a bunch of noobs, drop some dragon tooths there and they all die”. Well after that WvW was mindnumbling hammer smashing.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

(edited by Junkpile.7439)

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

*Delete the map

TL;DR

What “advanced” stuff would they use? AFAIK GW2 is using pretty much the same system as every other game – a terrain heightmap with a ton of objects at XYZ coordinates. All objects would be scaled at their transform points even if you account for scaled positioning on the flat plane. Meaning the walls will disconnect and the hills will fly.

Plus, all the objects and areas that are proper scale now – even if the map is big – would be too small in scale in turn. Shrine and camp cap points would become cramped, canyons too small, doorways you have to crawl through, stairs you have to go up sideways to not fall down, etc.

But yeah. Sure. Magic will fix it.

Don’t you know that everyone on a forum is a programming genius, and they know all of the good stuff you can do with code and stuff? I bet everyone would even code everything right the first time, no bugs!

As far as scaling, even if you just think of a simple example of a tunnel/choke. If you scale it a certain degree, a player will no longer be able to pass through, because it won’t be wide enough, and the map is effectively broken. It really isn’t that simple.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Posted by: ResilientCrab.5162

ResilientCrab.5162

Can we please have it reverted it killed roaming and my hopes and dreams as a daredevil WvW is not fun now and it is all i used to do. It’s that simple just do a complete revert we don’t care for the new maps.