Would you pay a sub for a realm v realm game?

in WvW

Posted by: Ruine.3519

Ruine.3519

If Anet came up with a system to monetize WvW (gems or sub) while giving it more attention. Would you pay for it? Discuss.

Slynn [oPP] Mesmer – Blackgate NA

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Probably not. Why pay to play with only people paying a subscription when I can play with everyone who has the game.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

They monetize PvE through aesthetics … why a sub for WvW.

I’m happy to buy gems to buy things that would be useful in WvW – skin unlocks (armors, weapons) … finishers, hell they could sell reskinned siege (that actually looks cool), maybe using gems so a roamer can claim a camp (not everyone has some guild that they can do this on, and the mechanism for your guild halls is too hefty for less than 9 players), but selling access to some of those I’d consider buying.

The big thing is making it optional and aethetics… I’m not sure about others, but I generally don’t waste more than 1 month sub for any sub game. Example … I buy expac, pay 1 month sub… play expac to up my character progression, then quit.

I presently spend more on gw2 than I have ever on any subscription based game. But the big key is … it’s my choice on what I want to buy. Subs give me the forced to get my moneys worth feeling.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

If I could log in whenever and get good fights I would. Not talking this 10v70v70 crap either.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

I’d gladly play for the game I want to play. This would require some pretty ground breaking changes though…alot that most people would not share. I cannot imagine anet ever making this into the game I would pay for though….lol. So the reality of the situation would be no i would never pay for a changed version of wvsw, but i would pay for a different game that gave me a balanced and dedicated experience.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Since I know they won’t do a good job because they don’t understand WvW nor do they play in it, no. You guys notice something about Anet’s twitch streams? All the devs talk about are them playing PvE & raids, with a couple of them talk about playing sPvP. There’s never, and I do mean never, any devs that talk about how much fun they had playing WvW.

If they don’t play the game mode and understand it, no sense throwing money at them because we won’t get better results. That’s the fundamental issues I see with Anet’s WvW team.

in WvW

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

If Anet came up with a system to monetize WvW (gems or sub) while giving it more attention. Would you pay for it? Discuss.

“If Anet”

No, if it was by Anet i wouldn’t want to play it. They don’t communicate with the player base enough for my liking.

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

If it is NOT anet, sure. Too little interaction with their customers and very sloppy execution. Their communication is highly deficient to risk adding any sub fee to their game.

in WvW

Posted by: Aileras.9460

Aileras.9460

wvw is the only reason I play gw2. If they came out with a new and improved wvw that was its own game, separate from pve and pvp. I would definitely at least try it and pay a monthly fee if I felt it was worth it. But in its current state no way.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Oh, so we gotta pay money separately for them to give notice to the section of the game they released along with the other parts of the game that received more treatment? Meanwhile they threw 200k+ into spvp, balances the game around spvp, heavily markets that game mode, developed seasons and leader boards for spvp, while also handing it all out to free accounts?

Why pay extra money to a company that has proven to not be reliable in fixing issues, not reliable in implementing proper systems, not giving a care to balance population or class, destroying guilds with guildhalls, and combat at the sake of selling the shiny expansion, which they’re not even reliable to deliver all of it’s content.

Sure, I’ll buy 10k gems, sounds good, does it come with the bonus bridge and swampland?

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Not with anet as the developer. And BTW I am supporting Camelot Unchained which will be a sub game, although I bought a life time sub for it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Only if they proved that they currently had a game worth paying a sub for when asking for money. I bought GW2 because it was the best MMO ever made at its release. And it was, and I continued to buy gems for a long time afterwards, and I didn’t mind it at all.

Currently, WvW is such a mess with so much negligence and broken promises that quite frankly my attitude now on with ANet is put up or shut up. I’m disgusted by their balance team, am mostly in the mindset that the game is now a total joke, and will not fund anything from them until and unless that improves with verifiable certainty that I know they’ll keep it maintained well thereafter.

So no, if they promised improvements for a monthly sub, I’d see myself to the door for good and would never look back. They need to deliver first after four years of nothing paired with some of the worst balance decisions I’ve seen made.

in WvW

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

I will pay………………………………………………………………………..Camelot Unchained.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

No. Because why should I? GW2 has shown there is a better way. Nearly all subscription MMOs has failed since like…. 2005. Developers that change their mind halfway through often end up with an even worse game. We would pretty much already have had this grand realm vs realm game with ESO but nope, subscription and people didnt give it enough time to settle. Sure its b2p now but that release totally kittened it over. Thats what subscription MMOs does, drive people away before devs even have the time to fix the game and chances are very high they never come back. In a game like GW2, they can always come back.

So no, I wouldnt, because I know such a game has near zero chance to survive even a year. So why invest?

in WvW

Posted by: Reaven.3958

Reaven.3958

Subscription games are above Guild Wars 2’s weight class. Anet isn’t accustomed to delivering the level of quality demanded by the subscription market, nor are they capable of consistently producing even passable content on the kind of timetable required to compete there.

Subs would kill the game.

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

Camelot Unchained.

I get the feeling that is going to end up like ESO. We’ll lose heaps of players to it for a month and everyone will come back.

in WvW

Reaven.3958

The alpha stuff so far looks kinda lame. Unfortunately.

in WvW

morrolan.9608

No. Because why should I? GW2 has shown there is a better way.

Not really, reading between the lines GW2 has been unable to sustain itself and has had to resort to xpacs at a premium price point and putting more and more items on the gem store and even then it is failing.

We would pretty much already have had this grand realm vs realm game with ESO but nope, subscription and people didnt give it enough time to settle. Sure its b2p now but that release totally kittened it over.

Problem with ESO wasn’t the sub, the combat was initially very clunky which meant guilds didn’t really support it, then its pvp was hamstrung by severe balance issues. Its getting it right now though.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

(edited by morrolan.9608)

in WvW

Reaven.3958

No. Because why should I? GW2 has shown there is a better way.

Not really, reading between the lines GW2 has been unable to sustain itself and has had to resort to xpacs at a premium price point and putting more and more items on the gem store and even then it is failing.

Shut up and buy more skins, nerd.

Now shut up some more.

With love,
Anet

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Need good rvr. Anet has the best chance at it for me just because I like the combat, have all the classes etc etc. Really really blowing it though. Got a refund on gems today before I used them. I just can’t drop any more cash into this if there’s no way for me to have fun.

We should legit take over a tier and balance it manually ourselves, make rules of engagement for each map etc etc. Leave the other 3 tiers to those that like empty maps.

in WvW

Posted by: Siska.8102

Siska.8102

No. Deployable canons poll…enough said.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

No.
/15 charrs dancing

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Oh? Care to indulge me on how much the next WoW expansion will cost? Because it sure need that premium price to survive, please support the failing WoW, it’s so unable to sustain itself!

And I bet Legion will also bring 24/7 realm vs realm warfare to make it extra worth the subscription cost.

Problem with ESO wasn’t the sub, the combat was initially very clunky which meant guilds didn’t really support it, then its pvp was hamstrung by severe balance issues. Its getting it right now though.

Which was exactly my point. When combat is clunky, guilds dont work and PvP is plagued by balance issues… people dont want to pay sub. They leave. If ESO had been just B2P from the start it would probably have taken alot more player from GW2 and created a sustainable community from the start.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

The alpha stuff so far looks kinda lame. Unfortunately.

I wouldn’t exactly expect much out of an alpha, where a lot of stuff will still need to be implemented, tested, changed, reimplemented or scrapped etc.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: mordran.4750

mordran.4750

Would i pay a sub for a WvW game ? Of course i would if the developers would show effort an passion in

-map design,
-class balance
-populaton balance

Would i pay for a Arenanet WvW game ? Never ever would i pay a dime to Anet because they have showed over the years that they do not have clue in all 3 of these points. WvW in GW2 is ok because you already payed for that, but extra money ? Hell no.

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

Players are waiting for a new large scale game which is similar but better than WvW.

Unfortunately noone has made one yet.

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: kroter.1326

kroter.1326

If they would manage to fix skill lag and kittenty fps in blob fights – yes, I would.

But lots of players (probably a majority) would not. And since WvW is very sensitive to the amount of people who plays it we would have another problem of underpopulation.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

If they would manage to fix skill lag and kittenty fps in blob fights – yes, I would

Except this is a dream. Look at all the subscription MMOs (well the few that survive). Has throwing money at them magically fixed any basic issues on the PC platform like lag and graphical slowdowns during load? I mean sure they often have better customer support but the idea that monthly payments == better coded game is just… bizarre.

What would we have to pay to stop EVE from time dilation during heavy loads when the server start chugging? $100 a month, do you think that help?

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Yes in the past i was thinking that. However not anymore cause of the failure after failure.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

I absolutely would. Not just for wvw but for every aspect of the game. It seems like they’re always scrambling to find the next dumb fluff cash shop item to sell instead of actually working on the game it would be a nice change of pace for them to have the money they need.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Nope.

Reasons:

• I like GW2, not specifically for its WvW. If WvW was sub, I’d play the rest of the game instead.
  • I’m allergic to subscriptions, because I usually play/leave games at whim, hate paying for something I might not play for multiple months.
  • There are too many other games to play for me to throw money at subscriptions.
  • Generally not a big MMO fan, but enjoy GW2 mainly because of the combat system, and the lack of the trinity roles. It makes combat fun.
Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

No way. For a number of reasons. Most have been stated above. The main one for me is, I don’t trust Anet to take that sub money and make “Gw2 WvW” good enough to pay for monthly. That would be too much of a project for them. Plus I don’t think they have their finger on the pulse of the hardcore WvWers.

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

No.
Not just for GW2 but in general.
I avoid subscription type games no matter what.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Depending on the company, yes.
If it was Anet, No.

in WvW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I won’t rent games, especially if I also paid a box price for one.

in WvW

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

no

/15charrs

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

If subs aren’t for you, Crowfall will be B2P.

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

I still play Rift lol

Love it btw

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

When is that due for release, 2020 ?

in WvW

Posted by: synergy.5809

synergy.5809

i would pay sub if it meant they would stop adding annoying things into the game to try and get you to spend IRL money for “convenience”

in WvW

morrolan.9608

When is that due for release, 2020 ?

I think Crowfall will be out before CU because they’re not making their own engine.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Posted by: Ballistic.2570

Ballistic.2570

If they eliminated the skill lag, then yes I would pay a subscription.

in WvW

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Honestly I’ll never play a paid subscription type of game, it just makes the game feel like work to me.

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Honestly I’ll never play a paid subscription type of game, it just makes the game feel like work to me.

Thats pretty funny given f2p games are the most grindy games cause they have to be to get you to buy stuff from them and are therefore the games most like ‘work’.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Thats pretty funny given f2p games are the most grindy games cause they have to be to get you to buy stuff from them and are therefore the games most like ‘work’.

I think he means (though I could be wrong) that sub games feel like work because you feel obligated to play constantly, even if you don’t want to, because you’re sinking actual cash into the game every month. It’s basically a feeling that you have to get your money’s worth in play time.

in WvW

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I think he means (though I could be wrong) that sub games feel like work because you feel obligated to play constantly, even if you don’t want to, because you’re sinking actual cash into the game every month. It’s basically a feeling that you have to get your money’s worth in play time.

That’s it, Hexalot. Thanks for clarifying for me. =)

in WvW

Posted by: nerovergil.5408

nerovergil.5408

i never play any sub based game.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Yeah, you arent allowed pauses or you will be kittening your money away. It really wouldnt be so bad if it was a very minor cost, but we’re looking at $150+ a year with the standard MMO pricing. People rather stop playing and move somewhere else. Then consider if you want to play several MMOs and they all cost monthly. WoW took the baseline and there is pretty much no other room for subscription games.

in WvW

Posted by: Rink.6108

Rink.6108

I’m happy to buy gems to buy things that would be useful in WvW -[…] maybe using gems so a roamer can claim a camp (not everyone has some guild that they can do this on, and the mechanism for your guild halls is too hefty for less than 9 players)

I agree with this. But in a way arenanet is too much against pay to win. Don’t get me wrong, I would hate it to be pay to win, but I don’t really care about skins and don’t buy them if I don’t want to use them all the time. And probably they wouldn’t implement the guild thing, because it would also be more pay-to-win than other things you can buy for gems.

I don’t think arenanet would make a sub fee for wvw and I personally don’t play any games with sub. But I would see them implementing a gw2-shop-integrated-“kickstarter” where you can donate to the changes that are too expensive for them to implement atm. So you wouldn’t get gems for the purchase, but help to get closer to a funding goal and as soon as they reached the funding goal the change will be done. If they don’t reach the goal in the time limit, you will get gems instead.

in WvW

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

dunno but im bored of wvw consist of 90% pve. gates …gates…gates
when you find players its either train or run. its rarely a fight.
I would be happy with a new game mode.
capture the flag kurzick vs luxon or something.