Would you pay a sub for a realm v realm game?

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Yes.

Buy to play and free to play turned out to be a failure to me. It might make more profit (does it? not sure) for the companies, but the games show it everywhere. Just look at GW2, 80%+ of all new cosmetics appear in the gemshop only.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

I do believe it does make more profit, this is why monthly subs really aren’t a thing anymore.

As for who would and wouldn’t I think a lot of it has to do with generation, older generations were used to sub based games because that’s all there really was so it’s not a big deal. The newer Generation is used to B2P or F2P with cash shops so they couldn’t imagine paying a sub for a game when you shouldn’t have to.

in WvW

Posted by: Baratta.1083

Baratta.1083

No….The more they mess with WvW the more broken it becomes. The match-up system is a joke. four years later and it is still garbage is a good indication it will never be decent. So sadly I have moved on from GW2 a great game that the company in charge has no clue how to fix.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Yes.

Buy to play and free to play turned out to be a failure to me. It might make more profit (does it? not sure) for the companies, but the games show it everywhere. Just look at GW2, 80%+ of all new cosmetics appear in the gemshop only.

Yes and Deus Ex want you to pay for cosmetics in singleplayer and it’s only available in the session you unlock it in, you better not want a new game. GW2 isnt bad at all there. There 3000+ skins in the game. A few more in the gemshop is irrelevant, there are tons free skins in the game – most of them better looking than the gemshop ones anyway. And you can still convert gold→gems, ie time spent to get those gemshop items. Time spent means a populated game, which means more people and some of those will probably buy gems. And the longer people stay in the game the more likely they also are to buy gems in the future. That’s how it work.

I prefer that than basicly being extorted for money up front or they shut down access to the game. But hey look at the bright side – at least subscription isnt season passes where you may or may not get anything at all. Modern gaming is starting to look like a kittening kickstarter campaign.

in WvW

Malediktus.3740

Just because Deus Ex uses even more awful monetization models does not mean I need to enjoy GW2s business model. I think GW2 would be better off with subscription, too.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Pay for a new game RvR based or a game d expansion edicated to a good RvR model? Yes i would, if it is worth it.

I dont play games that need X fee every month to let me log and play…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Just because Deus Ex uses even more awful monetization models does not mean I need to enjoy GW2s business model. I think GW2 would be better off with subscription, too.

Of course, though it would be 1 subscription per account so with your 30 accounts you’d have to pay $400+ a month to play.

It really doesnt matter whether you enjoy it or not, you can be 100% sure that if GW2 was subscription based we would still have the exact same gemshop and the exact same $50 HoT. In fact the only difference would be that GW2 vanilla isnt free, so we’d probably have about 1/50th the population. Better?

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

in WvW

Posted by: Aezyr.5304

Aezyr.5304

Subscription based models slowly dieing out. Even EVE online opens up now a (limited) ftp option:
https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/introducing-clone-states-and-the-future-of-access-to-eve-online/

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Subscription based models slowly dieing out. Even EVE online opens up now a (limited) ftp option:
https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/introducing-clone-states-and-the-future-of-access-to-eve-online/

That would be so neat. I have been glancing at EVE for years thinking about giving it a go, but the subscription and the fact I can always fall back on GW2 has kept me from looking further.

I’ve always wondered why they didnt have f2p for “trash” ships you want to populate the world (fighters, bombers, small freighters/miners, etc) while requiring subscription for the larger and more advanced ships. It would have been an entirely logical division of player “class” within the game world while still keeping it playable for everyone.

in WvW

Malediktus.3740

Of course, though it would be 1 subscription per account so with your 30 accounts you’d have to pay $400+ a month to play.

It really doesnt matter whether you enjoy it or not, you can be 100% sure that if GW2 was subscription based we would still have the exact same gemshop and the exact same $50 HoT. In fact the only difference would be that GW2 vanilla isnt free, so we’d probably have about 1/50th the population. Better?

Of course I probably wouldnt have 30 accounts in a subscription model. But I am not buying gems on any account other than my main account, so Anets income from the additional accounts is very limited.
But I also wouldnt need that many accounts in a sub model since login rewards would likely not be a thing, or at least not to such extent and not tradeable.

in WvW

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

That would be so neat. I have been glancing at EVE for years thinking about giving it a go, but the subscription and the fact I can always fall back on GW2 has kept me from looking further.

I’ve always wondered why they didnt have f2p for “trash” ships you want to populate the world (fighters, bombers, small freighters/miners, etc) while requiring subscription for the larger and more advanced ships. It would have been an entirely logical division of player “class” within the game world while still keeping it playable for everyone.

I made a comment on their video about this, noting the naming system left them open for 2-3 paid tiers down the line. And their refocus to ship roles (and making sure almost all roles are available in all ship sizes) had brought this idea to my attention months ago.

Still, it takes a special dedication at times to play EvE – I left there for GW2, and don’t see myself returning (especially since I view EvE’s 0.0 politics as a giant Diplomacy campaign on steroids). Just the difference in how the death systems work is enough for me.

Note I was primarily an Industry player, aka a miner. There is nothing in the Alpha account level that works for me long-term, as most of the time I would sit in various ORE ships of some form (not allowed in Alpha). At best its an unlimited Trial, which is a decent balance for a game that’s incredibly complex.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

in WvW

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

No. I’d never pay subscription fee for any game.

in WvW

Posted by: mordran.4750

mordran.4750

And you can read here http://massivelyop.com/2016/09/02/eve-online-devs-address-the-potential-for-ganking-and-abuse-under-its-f2p-model/ what problems they will get.
I am not convinced that the F2P model will solve the issues EVE has.

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

You know another problem with this thread is that identical ones have been made over the last 3 years!

People keep posting the same old things, and you know what, Anet are going to continue to ignore them!

As for paying a sub, hell no, not now, and never to Anet!
I’m even taking this week off cos I am so bored of the game right now!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: sydney.4901

sydney.4901

No,

I don’t support any game that requires a subscription.

in WvW

Posted by: Norbe.7630

Norbe.7630

just play WoW or CU for your Realm vs Realm or Globe vs Globe or World vs Globe whatever it is called

Duterte Death Squad [DDS]
Gate of Madness

(edited by Norbe.7630)

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

I’m a college student. I can’t afford a sub.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

No, I’m pretty happy with GW2.

Nalhadia – Kaineng