WvW Defensive Tactics

WvW Defensive Tactics

in WvW

Posted by: Catalin.5341

Catalin.5341

I will start by providing my points of view on which upgrades should be built and in which order and also what siege weapons you should place when defending a spot.

The first spot is Longview, SunnyHill, Woodhaven and there are 3 parts of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGTEhea_4Vw&list=PLduHbZPbtobFj67iMqpJt6b87WPyTAW8A

If you guys feel that the information is constructive then I will do more for camps, other towers and keeps.

EU Seafearer’s Rest, Guilds: [AR] [tD]
Catalin Puf (Human Elementalist)
Catalin Elf (Sylvari Thief)

(edited by Catalin.5341)

WvW Defensive Tactics

in WvW

Posted by: Kid Taylor.5479

Kid Taylor.5479

Thank you for your hard work on the videos, I found them very useful.

WvW Defensive Tactics

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

Not sure if I agree that oil and cannons are useless… At the very least they are targets that usually need to be taken out prior to rams going down which stall for time allowing defenders to get to the tower to defend.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

WvW Defensive Tactics

in WvW

Catalin.5341

Not sure if I agree that oil and cannons are useless… At the very least they are targets that usually need to be taken out prior to rams going down which stall for time allowing defenders to get to the tower to defend.

They do provide a delay, but I don’t think they are more important than the fortify upgrade. Like I said in the videos it’s important to have the walls/gates upgrades done including the fortify and then move on to canons/oil.

WvW Defensive Tactics

in WvW

Catalin.5341

Thank you for your hard work on the videos, I found them very useful.

Thank you too. Today, if I have time I will try to do a video about camps/supply/points.

I still don’t know exactly on what conditions sometimes siege on walls disappears. I will do more testing and then make the Cliffside tower video.

WvW Defensive Tactics

in WvW

Posted by: xxxzavulonxxx.8413

xxxzavulonxxx.8413

They do provide a delay, but I don’t think they are more important than the fortify upgrade. Like I said in the videos it’s important to have the walls/gates upgrades done including the fortify and then move on to canons/oil.

Cannons > Fortify Walls depending on what you are defending. Somethings aren’t likely to be trebbed all day and all night. If people are dropping catas and rams all up in your grizzle, then yeah, cannons the way to go.

[SU]

WvW Defensive Tactics

in WvW

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Cannons and oil almost useless vs any competent assault, it’s too easy to destroy them. Only mortar can do something good (against siege weapons mostly), but mortars can be destroyed with infantry too. Any long-term siege defense always based on player-placed siege weapons – i.e. cata(s)+AC for gates, AC for walls, and countertreb, usually placed on supply depot. On some towers you can place additional catas and ballistas. From all tower upgrades, only walls, gates and siegemaster are truly valuable.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

WvW Defensive Tactics

in WvW

Catalin.5341

Playing in T1 usually puts you against organised players and very often they will do a sweep to clear your siege before committing to a full on assault. And even if they don’t clear the canon and oil on the tower walls, you will not be able to man it since they can easily aoe it.

If people are dropping catas and rams all up in your grizzle, then yeah, cannons the way to go.

Catapults are usually used to take down walls, so it’s better to have the fortify upgrade. The canons are worthless in this situation because smart players place the catapults away from the canon range.

WvW Defensive Tactics

in WvW

Catalin.5341

Unfortunately this only applies to the first assault of the tower. Once they take them down and let’s say they fail, the second assault will make all those oil/canon/mortar upgrades useless.