WvW Dueling is an issue, here's a solution!

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

I agree with OP. If I see you dueling in WvW I will kill your opponent. No question! And if you give me attitude I will ignore you and block your kitten. Got to OS or someplace that is off the beaten path at the very least. If you do not like mine or OP solution to bad. This is WvW not 1 v 1.

That’s a sure way to get your kitten beat and your guild hunted.

Also, Jayne had it right in her previous post. Basically, if everyone observes the “don’t be a kitten” rule, there’s really no problem.

Bring it! I welcome the hate! Your hate makes you stronger, release your hatred!

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

Bring it! I welcome the hate! Your hate makes you stronger, release your hatred!

There was no hate in my post. It was merely an observation that people who try to do what you described,

1. usually fail because they don’t know how to fight,
  2. later may get personally targeted by people who do know how to fight, once those people are finished dueling, and
  3. sometimes get their guild implicated through association

There’s no real call for hate or kittenishness in gw2 because it’s a game. People who remember that tend to have more fun.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Malerian.8435

There was no hate in my post. It was merely an observation that people who try to do what you described,

2. later may get personally targeted by people who do know how to fight, once those people are finished dueling, and

There’s no real call for hate or kittenishness in gw2 because it’s a game. People who remember that tend to have more fun.

1 v 1 me and I will show you how to fight lol. Just lets do it in a guild hall or OS. Cause if I were dueling in WvW I would expect to get run over by a zerg or other players. That is why it is called WvW, and not 1 v 1…

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

1 v 1 me and I will show you how to fight lol. Just lets do it in a guild hall or OS. Cause if I were dueling in WvW I would expect to get run over by a zerg or other players. That is why it is called WvW, and not 1 v 1…

Oh you’re adorable.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Malerian.8435

Oh you’re adorable.

I know! But thanks for letting everyone else know! Offer stands. If I see anyone out there dueling I will probably just kill ya.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Oh you’re adorable.

I know! But thanks for letting everyone else know! Offer stands. If I see anyone out there dueling I will probably just kill ya.

Not if I kill you first

xox

in WvW

Malerian.8435

Oh you’re adorable.

Not if I kill you first

xox

You can try! But you will die!

in WvW

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Yesterday I had someone blast me on map chat for dueling “near an objective.” That objective was south mid sentry on Maguuma BL lol.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in WvW

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

I’ve never heard of a roamer or zerg player complain about duelers. The only time it dueling seems to be brought up in a negative light in say or map chat is when the duelers childishly complain about their duel that was ruined. Which prompts the rest of the map to tell them to find somewhere else to go (as a response to the dueler’s whines).

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in WvW

Posted by: CrashTheGrey.1492

CrashTheGrey.1492

This is the most ridiculous non-issue I’ve seen posted about in a while.

I duel all the time. Sometimes griefers and noobs see that it’s a duel and they get destroyed trying to mess with either side, usually because people that do that kind of thing can’t win a fair fight. Typically the person not being pressured in the duel backs off and observes the gank get denied or maybe its successful, but usually its just bads that do that.

If anything, I get some hilarious content from scrubs trying to gank 2 or 3v1 only to find out they couldn’t even get the job done. 9/10 times, people are told its a duel and they go along their way. And if someone wants to gank, they can do that.

Some people need to grow a spine and deal with the very minor sandbox elements of WvW interactions.

Very often, a little policing squad gets formed, and anyone trying to interrupt gets destroyed. It’s nice to see people having fun and playing for competition, and to mix it in with griefers and dogmatic “red is always dead” types (who are usually awful) anyways provides laughs to anyone that can understand this is a game.

in WvW

Choppy.4183

Not that it’s relevant to our conversation, but sure. When works for you and what server are you on?

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Yesterday I had someone blast me on map chat for dueling “near an objective.” That objective was south mid sentry on Maguuma BL lol.

Bruh, you know that was a daily!

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

“WvW Dueling is an issue” – wut?

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Not that it’s relevant to our conversation, but sure. When works for you and what server are you on?

Hi I’d take that offer up too

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in WvW

Choppy.4183

The more the merrier, I say.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

lol, poor Malerian.

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Scrub warrior,lol….j/k choppy #respect

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: Exorcist.6392

Exorcist.6392

Haha are you that solo Guardian I manhandled last night in EBG on my Ele? If so, don’t be mad. You were just like a fawn that got separated from the pack and hunted down.

P.S. Thanks for the loot

in WvW

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

i would lol though if he beat you 2v1 xD

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in WvW

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

There is no dueling “issue” in wvw. It’s a battlefield. I have killed and been killed in many a 1 vs 1…none of those were duels.

We do not need “dueling dailies” so you can do your daily farming your alt account in under a minute.

There are guild halls where you can fight.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

in WvW

Choppy.4183

So would I, but I don’t think that was on the table anyway. I just assumed he wanted a regular duel, and at least a couple of us are willing to oblige. If that turns into a fite nite, all the better.

@bigpapasmurf
You should join us!

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

So would I, but I don’t think that was on the table anyway. I just assumed he wanted a regular duel, and at least a couple of us are willing to oblige. If that turns into a fite nite, ask the better.

@Big Papa Smurf
You should join us!

tell me when and where. I need more practice vs your class (assuming you are still running it) and I am a roamer so I enjoy 1v1 / small scale fights.

in WvW

Malerian.8435

Nah the only BL I was in last night was Mag. And I do not regularly Duel. But if you see me out there go ahead and whisper me and we can to a Guild Hall and have a proper fight. I do not duel in WvW. WvW is not for dueling. If I see you dueling you will die, unless your friends help you.

in WvW

Posted by: Tiawal.2351

Tiawal.2351

Duels in WvW are hardly uncommon, you see them everywhere and the guys usually harass/give incredible attitude to you if you happen to slaughter their counterparts from other servers. Then the whispers start.
Obsidian Sanctum had a revision done to it to encourage duelers to move along to more appropriate territory. The Mists has literally set up servers to have a 1v1 capability. They even gave us the ability to great arenas in our guild halls!
Yet still, see groups of players dueling in WvW being a general annoyance to everyone, and when you mistake their group for roamers they act like we’re the problem.
They claim they do it mostly for their dailies.

My solution? Simple. Create a dueling daily/set of dueling dailies that work in Obsidian Sanctum’s arena, and that area only. Put a button in the “B” tab that teleports straight there, call it “Duelists Arena” or some such thing.

Duel isn’t an “issue”. They are people that bow politely to each other and want a somewhat fair fight, likely stop hitting on downed, follow some rules of what skills aren’t allowed, eventually using a mirrored class & build (both having same or very close), and so on. I have a great respect toward these players. They don’t need safe place, go on and bother them, that speaks volumes about you; duelers can take care of themselves – or should.

No, they aren’t the problem, rather everything else in WvW it is, such as:
1. the “competitive” player versus door, where human players kill gates & walls & NPC to “win”
2. the “competitive” avoiding of each other, if our side doesn’t greatly outnumber the other side
3. the “competitive” stacking of servers, to make running over other less stacked servers, a trivial matter
4. the “competitive” ganking called “roaming” where larger numbers chase down single players
5. the “competitive” skill balance that isn’t made or at least adjusted for WvW use
6. the “competitive” whining on the forums for every pointless “issue” when WvW is… I don’t know anymore which word describes it properly.

Oh, and I’m not a dueler. I should start doing it though, since team fights are beyond dead or extremely rare, GvG is past death, and the doors rarely hit back…

A wandering ronin, employed by [ENMA]

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Nah the only BL I was in last night was Mag. And I do not regularly Duel. But if you see me out there go ahead and whisper me and we can to a Guild Hall and have a proper fight. I do not duel in WvW. WvW is not for dueling. If I see you dueling you will die, unless your friends help you.

lol you’re reminding me of this:

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Speaking of dueling, I think when two zergs facing each other they should have the option to allow commanders duel. When a commander lost the duel, he/she’s team gets banished into the shadow realm.

100 points for this guy right here.

Not really. With most commanders I know that sort of fight wouldn’t end until one passes out in front of their monitor. Two bunkers guardians aren’t going to kill each other.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Speaking of dueling, I think when two zergs facing each other they should have the option to allow commanders duel. When a commander lost the duel, he/she’s team gets banished into the shadow realm.

100 points for this guy right here.

Not really. With most commanders I know that sort of fight wouldn’t end until one passes out in front of their monitor. Two bunkers guardians aren’t going to kill each other.

~ Kovu

My experience has been that top commanders have the intellect and split second ability to make critical decisions, but are not necessarily strong at 1v1.

I think those skills are more valued though than my ability to down you. I’ve tried to command, and wound up killing off the entire blob. God bless my server, they’re so lovely and patient.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, beauty of wvw is you don’t need to be good at everything, you just have to be good at something

If you judged wvw ability by how to place a cata or a treb , then you should take a random pver over me. It just isn’t something I care to get good at. I refuse to spend 15 minutes trebbing a wall. Unless it involves cows, because that is good for trolling.

People might not like dueling because no content was was balanced around 1v1 in all content. errr… I guess you can argue it is not balanced period

Leadership is a separate skill from combat ability too. The best leader isn’t always the best player and vice versa

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I can teach you catas Archon. And show you the joys of hours-long trebbing.

Come to the dark siiiideeee!

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

This is a stupid thread.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Duels in WvW are hardly uncommon, you see them everywhere and the guys usually harass/give incredible attitude to you if you happen to slaughter their counterparts from other servers. Then the whispers start.
Obsidian Sanctum had a revision done to it to encourage duelers to move along to more appropriate territory. The Mists has literally set up servers to have a 1v1 capability. They even gave us the ability to great arenas in our guild halls!
Yet still, see groups of players dueling in WvW being a general annoyance to everyone, and when you mistake their group for roamers they act like we’re the problem.

My solution? Simple. Create a dueling daily/set of dueling dailies that work in Obsidian Sanctum’s arena, and that area only. Put a button in the “B” tab that teleports straight there, call it “Duelists Arena” or some such thing.

Most duelers are toxic – they need to be removed from WvW.

A dueling daily would just move it for a couple of seconds, can’t see how it would stop it in EBG or near south camp/ruins on the Alpine maps.

Killing duelers is sport for some, prescripted by others and tolerated to laughed at by many.

In any case, I wish they’d be addressed and moved off WvW.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: Tiawal.2351

Tiawal.2351

This is why we can’t have nice things. Judge people one by one, piece by piece. Toxicity and broad generalization are the problem, not dueling…

GvG and duels are the purest form of PvP, they should be embraced, instead of being vilified; if you want skilled players on your side…

I guess that is the problem though, WvW is seen as an exclusive place for unskilled zerging and PvD by some – and sadly they are right, most of the time.

A wandering ronin, employed by [ENMA]

in WvW

Malerian.8435

You are always on these forums talking smack and posting stupid things. You are probably some little kid who has no clue… Just go back to your mom and dad’s basement and be a good kid now. Hate to have to hurt your feelings by owning you. Hell my tanky vanilla guard could probably own you lol.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Lighten up, Francis.

There is another forum for those type of posts, use it.

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

You are always on these forums talking smack and posting stupid things. You are probably some little kid who has no clue… Just go back to your mom and dad’s basement and be a good kid now. Hate to have to hurt your feelings by owning you. Hell my tanky vanilla guard could probably own you lol.

This would be a fight id love to spectate…and maybe be a part of :p

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I’m just excited that someone is finally willing to duel me. Sniff.

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I’m just excited that someone is finally willing to duel me. Sniff.

Lol id duel anyone, anytime im on. Im not that good but id still do it. Only way to get better is to fight against better.

in WvW

Posted by: CrashTheGrey.1492

CrashTheGrey.1492

This is why we can’t have nice things. Judge people one by one, piece by piece. Toxicity and broad generalization are the problem, not dueling…

GvG and duels are the purest form of PvP, they should be embraced, instead of being vilified; if you want skilled players on your side…

I guess that is the problem though, WvW is seen as an exclusive place for unskilled zerging and PvD by some – and sadly they are right, most of the time.

Atheria, please revisit the way you approach everything in your life. (What I’m doing here is basing my entire perspective of you around the fact that you said something incredibly wrong, see how that can be toxic?) I have never once been in a duel with someone being actively toxic. The whole point of a duel is to have a fair fight. It tends to bring good natured fun.

in WvW

Bigpapasmurf.5623

A dueling daily would just move it for a couple of seconds, can’t see how it would stop it in EBG or near south camp/ruins on the Alpine maps.

Killing duelers is sport for some, prescripted by others and tolerated to laughed at by many.

I duel quite often (helps im usually a solo roamer) and although I cannot speak for your experience, I can say that most wvw duelers are not. There was maybe one instance I saw one being toxic so we moved to a new dueling location (over 2 years ago mind you). Ive dueled against every tier server and dueled most of the NA servers. Sorry if you had a poor experience, however blanketing all duelers with 1-2 bad experiences (assuming you didnt provoke anything yourself) only shows how toxic you are.

in WvW

Posted by: VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618

VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618

I don’t duel. I have watched some. When I started I accidentally interfered in one, got told it was a duel, said sorry, backed away.

Duelists don’t affect me. They have their kind of fun, which is different from my kind of fun. They don’t hurt me, I don’t hurt them. Everybody wins.

Except when they duel next to an objective. Than it is not a duel but attack/defense and I will get involved.

But so far almost always they do their stuff where it really does not matter. If I were not on my way back to the party, I wouldn’t have run into them. So who cares? Nobody should care.

in WvW

Posted by: Lacuda.8543

Lacuda.8543

OP here. If not commanding a zerg, I usually roam. If you’re dueling on or right immediately next to an objective (skill range) then you’re not dueling right at all.
Obsidian Sanctum’s Arena was BUILT SPECIFICALLY for you guys. It’s a special place for special people where they can do what they want to their heart’s content.
If you’re dueling in open-WvW when that place is available, the only reason could be is that you’re either trying to sneak roaming in with it or you like to troll gank lowbies.

Strategically, there is no reason to allow an enemy player to live near an objective. If you were off in some corner of the map away from the roads, sentries, camps and yaks, it may be different, but when we see yak symbols constantly disappearing where the so-called “respected” duelers are doing their thing, that can’t be tolerated.

Seriously, what’s so wrong about OS or even guild arenas?

in WvW

Jayne.9251

OP here. If not commanding a zerg, I usually roam. If you’re dueling on or right immediately next to an objective (skill range) then you’re not dueling right at all.
Obsidian Sanctum’s Arena was BUILT SPECIFICALLY for you guys. It’s a special place for special people where they can do what they want to their heart’s content.
If you’re dueling in open-WvW when that place is available, the only reason could be is that you’re either trying to sneak roaming in with it or you like to troll gank lowbies.

Strategically, there is no reason to allow an enemy player to live near an objective. If you were off in some corner of the map away from the roads, sentries, camps and yaks, it may be different, but when we see yak symbols constantly disappearing where the so-called “respected” duelers are doing their thing, that can’t be tolerated.

That can’t be tolerated? Wow.

I think your one sentence says it all.

in WvW

Posted by: Frozen.1347

Frozen.1347

Duels are often not planned. They begin as fights between roamers or because some people who know each other from previous dueling sessions meet on the battlefield. Then if someone starts dueling, others can join and watch or start dueling themselves. This doesn’t work in OS. If you go there, looking for duels, it will be empty most of the time, because it is unlikely to have multiple people with the same idea at exactly the same moment. So you leave, because standing there and waiting is super boring. If somebody else comes, maybe just seconds after you left, he will find an empty OS too and will leave for the same reason. If you don’t find anyone to duel in EB or the borderlands it doesn’t matter, because there is plenty of other stuff to do. Also some players might enjoy a few duels from time to time, but wan’t to go back to whatever else they enjoy doing after a short time. If they go to OS they might have to wait in a long queue when they want to go back to their usual business. Dueling in OS only works if you set up the duels beforehand. Similar applies to guild halls.

Sometimes duels still take place in OS or guild halls, but the actual WvW maps are a lot more convenient. And duels don’t hurt anyone unless somebody gets upset just by the existence of those players. But well, that’s not an issue with dueling then …

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Oh it’s not even that.

With queues on maps, most of your duellers are your map scouts, who dilligently watch the map, refresh and build all the siege, and sacrifice loot to alert the team to enemy movement.

If the OP is willing to sacrifice blobbing, spend hours building siege (paying for it too), refreshing it to make sure not even one ac disappears, and not getting any loot — then sure the duellers can go to OS and wait to get back in the queue again afterwards.

But know this OP, that’s all you’ll be doing. No zerging.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Posted by: blackgamma.1809

blackgamma.1809

if you condemn dueling, then you should condemn roamers, based on the same principle that they take up space. but because everyone is cool with roamers. that means you should stop complaining about duelers

in WvW

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

So, go and kill them then lol, or try. It’s actually annoying that you (possibly just a minion/zergling) thinks he is above the rest of the wvw players. The only place duelers will flip sentry or kill dolys is at South isle but we all take it in turns flipping the sentry and nobody really cares about south towers as that’s what the dolls feed anyway.

OS was not made for duelers at all, where did you come up with that idea? Further more there is nothing in OS at all. Belive all you like that you think duelers or roamers take up q spots, at least we don’t course map wide server lag, but you do. You’re are the real people ruining wvw with your 50v50v50 spam #1 skills fights

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in WvW

Choppy.4183

The way dueling generally works is people are roaming about, they see someone they want to duel, and it goes from there. Sometimes others stop by and join or watch. It’s a break from the usual, and it’s rarely a pre-planned event that would work in OS, or at least, hasn’t been for some time. OS wasn’t built for duels either, though it has been used for them at times.

If someone’s dueling next to an objective, you have options. You can try to kill them and see how that goes, or you could ask them to move elsewhere and explain why you think it’s a problem. Or you could leave them alone if it’s clear that they’re dueling and it’s not actually having any impact on said objectives, or anything else for that matter.

It’s extremely rare for duelers, or even people watching duelers, to gank anyone who’s walking by. Generally speaking, people are usually left alone to take sentries, kill yaks, or flip camps even if they’re right next to where duels are happening.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

It’s extremely rare for duelers, or even people watching duelers, to gank anyone who’s walking by.

That generally only happens when someone’s being rude in map chat …

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I find most Duelers tend to try and find out of the way spots where they are not interfering with guards/yaks and the like. That said someone spoke to Alpine BL earlier tand that sentry on the island.

THAT is the very place where I find either duelers or those watching flipping the guard or killing yaks that pass through more often then not.

It is also busy crossroads area where respective groups will meet and fight. As such it one of the worst spots for duelists to pick for their fights.

Another pouplar dueling spot is just south of SMC in EBG in an area between the fort walls and the Mountains. This is not traversed by guards or Yaks and is not as frequented by larger groups. As such when I see people duel there it never bothers me and I go my way and very often if I am with a group that group will just run past them.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

I blame the influence of Facebook games which were such a hot item during Gw2’s development, largest pile of “friends” wins.