WvW Engineers need Class Buff

in WvW

Posted by: Ixionic.7095

Ixionic.7095

In WvW,

http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

Engineers are probably the most underused class and for all Engineer players the traits need to be buffed for WvW to be competitive with other classes.

Arena Net only cares about every other class except for the Engineer.

Arena Net’s GW2 Game Designer needs to re-work the traits so that Engineers can hold their own with other classes, right now that’s not the case. Everyone in WvW uses Elementalist, Mesmer, Necro, Guardian, Warrior, Thief and those classes are strong in WvW PvP but the Engineer really is not strong enough to survive against them or kill them fast enough.

Whoever designed the Engineer traits really under powered the engineer overall and it could be designed better.

If you agree please reply:

/signed

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

You plea is in vain.

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Unless you offer some reasonable suggestions as to what traits to change, how to change them, and why to change them, your complaint is just that, random complaining. I say this because we see this occasionally, where posters demand changes, then hate them and complain further, yet they never specified how they thought it should be changed.

Sure, I agree the profession needs some changes. But I have elaborated on what changes, and how I suggest making them, in on going discussions in the profession s subforums. You made this exact post in the engineer forums, so I am curious as to why you avoided elaborating on how you suggest they change it, in either thread you posted in or created?

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I agree that engineer needs improvements, and very few people them in wvw. But no class, skill or trait is designed FOR wvw. For PvE, yes. For PvP, yes. Some of those PvE and PvP designs just happen to work well in wvw too, and some dont.

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

Buff mortar kit to compensate for being 1 of 2 ground target skills in the game that gets reflected. Grenades is the other…

in WvW

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

Lol really? Another one of these? Why is it that almost every class thinks Anet doesn’t care about them. I’ve seen a few if these already and we’re not even halfway through the week yet. “Anet hates warriors, Anet hates thieves, Anet hates engineers, etc etc etc….” Anet doesn’t hate your class and I personally see nothing wrong with it. I’ve met quite a few good roaming engis, seen a few with decent survive in zergs, so what is it you think their missing that every other class has lol?

in WvW

Posted by: xivor.8754

xivor.8754

Engineer just got a substantial buff for group-oriented play. Just because Metabattle doesn’t list it, does not mean it is inferior. I see many organized fight-oriented guild groups using Engineer out there. Use the meta as a guide. Sure, maybe 4 Engineers in a 15 man comp is not ideal, but 1-2 is possible. Just remember your counters. Do not use Mortar is you see Walls of Reflection or Feedback up.

Commander Combat Medic Barbie
Guild Leader of Chariot of Fire [FIRE] – http://christianfire.enjin.com
Proud Community Member of Northern Shiverpeaks – http://northernshiverpeaks.org

in WvW

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

The main issue is that, the bigger the zergfight gets the more walls and feedbacks you encounter. This means that the engi becomes less usefull as the scale of the fight goes up.

It is really cool tho if you happen to shoot over a refelction wall. xD

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

In WvW,

Engineers are probably the most underused class and for all Engineer players the traits need to be buffed for WvW to be competitive with other classes.

Arena Net’s GW2 Game Designer needs to re-work the traits so that Engineers can hold their own with other classes, right now that’s not the case. Everyone in WvW uses Elementalist, Mesmer, Necro, Guardian, Warrior, Thief and those classes are strong in WvW PvP but the Engineer really is not strong enough to survive against them or kill them fast enough.

Whoever designed the Engineer traits really under powered the engineer overall and it could be designed better.

/signed

I play engi and have 2 things as input on this. mainly increase the base dmg, power component on both mortar and FT and make the gadget traits more effective.

Granades are good as they are, mid range heavy damage, especially on condi builds, elixir gun is somewhat lackluster but still OK, bombs i never liked in wvw at all due to their core mechanics.

Both mortar and FT are good weapons but need a bit more “umph”. Mortar needs to do a bit more damage when traited so backline engis can be better ranged bombers. Flamethrower needs to put a lot more pressure on thieves and mesmers then it can do currently. Gadgets need to be far more useful or have significantly reduced CDs when traited, so engis can better run with frontline set-ups.

Thats for current engis. However, we do not know what the Forge is going to be like, it may or may not solve / address any of these issues.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I’ve been running my own variant of condi engineer ‘double kit’ roaming build and I have my fun with it.

My only problems is condi removal and being mass CC’d as it has little to no stability. I could trait for stab on FT but then I’d be giving up something else I need in the build to make it effective.

Also, after the patch and the upgraded skills/traits system they really messed up on the engineer traits – being forced to choose something OVER something else. It’s really sucky.

I genuinely hope engi spec brings something good, viable and variety to the table.

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Engineer is the least player profession in WvWvW. Engis were never common in WvWvW, like guardians, warriors, elementalists or thieves (or currently mesmers), but after the Jun 23 patch I haven’t seen much any enemy engineers. The patch deleted a lot of traits, which were supposed to become baseline, but didn’t. The trait synergy has been gone and many GM and master level traits are so weak, it is a bad joke, not to mention the dozens of bugs plaguing the profession.

Engineer is the only profession which has no meta/good WvWvW builds.

Yes, engineer needs serious WvWvW buffs.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

After the patch and the upgraded skills/traits system they really messed up on the engineer traits – being forced to choose something OVER something else. It’s really sucky.

Actually this is exactly how it should be. You should be forced to chose one thing over another. It needs to be this way in all professions and all trait lines. This offers value to traits and diverse options. The issue though, in most cases, is that the traits often do not have enough equavalency to actually cause you to have to make a choice.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

In WvW,

/signed

Stop with the “ANET doesn’t care about engis”. That’s just naive. For the longest time, engis have been OP in other game modes. Right now they could use some buffs, but let’s see what the elite spec brings.

in WvW

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

Hard to say without having the Engineer elite spec. Hammer + drones could bring some pretty interesting frontline zerging opportunities to the table for them. Rangers are the same way. They can longbow down commanders but they don’t really have any other roles than that. Again, that could change with Druid.

Maguuma Guardian

in WvW

Deniara Devious.3948

Stop with the “ANET doesn’t care about engis”. That’s just naive. For the longest time, engis have been OP in other game modes.

What other game modes besides spvp?

Engineers have always been rare in pve.

Please try to keep this discussion WvWvW related. The fact is: engineers have never been part of WvWvW meta. They are not part of the pirate ship meta, nor the melee train meta.

Engineers used to be good in WvWvW roaming, but still topped by some other professions like thieves, d/d elementalist, meditation guardian or PU mesmer. After June trait rework patch, the engineers are subpar in every role.

The past glory of engineers in spvp should NOT be used an argument to justify their current state spvp or in other game modes. WvWvW matters as much as spvp. I and many others enjoy to play WvWvW as their game mode and the lack of profession balance is a very common complaint in map chat and personally I know players who stopped playing this game because the developers continue to ignore this. They played WvWvW hard core, but just cannot stand the imbalance.

Look at http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki
under WvWvW you can find ZERO roaming and zerg builds for engineers, but you can
viable, meta or great builds for all other professions, besides the Revenant, which is still
under work.

There are simple ways to buff engineers without making them OP in spvp:
- rework medkit to make it viable alternative (currently medkit #1 is joke, medkit #2-5 too slow and clunky, your WvWvW commander is not gonna ask you bring your engi + medkit to heal their zerg)
- make mortar more viable alternative to ele staff e.g. offer traits to reduce it’s CD, increase radius of the attacks to match ele staff, make orbital strike hit harder
- revert grenade range nerf or at least offer a trait to increase it’s range, 900 is way too little to make any sense in pirate ship meta (where enemy staff eles can hit you even 1500+ range, trust me fire staff #1 hits over 1500 range, not to mention LB ranger, which can hit from 1900+ range)
- bring back the missing traits, which were supposed to become baseline, but didn’t,
e.g. elixir gun needs 1200 range
- most healing traits are under powered and close to useless, except bunker down
- many damage related traits are far weaker than similar level traits offered by other professions e.g. shaped charge (mere conditional 5 % dmg increase, no other utility and it is master level trait!)
- FT + juggernaut is significantly better now, but auto attack still risky vs retaliation
- gadgets are still subpar
- turrets… I don’t even want to start this :-(

Please comment WvWvW, not other game modes!

in WvW

Posted by: illenos.5134

illenos.5134

Engineer is awesome for roaming purpose. The SD build melts all those thiefs and pu mesmer within seconds while you are able to deal with almost every build out there…okay CC and condi heavy builds may be a problem but engineer is still in a very good spot.

Just don’t try to zerg on an engineer or learn how to play in an effective focus party.

Awwdorable – roaming princess, awesome qq’er,
incredible flamer, part-time forum warrior, salty as
kitten!

in WvW

Posted by: NineLives.8725

NineLives.8725

Engineers don’t need more of what they already have. Engineers need something that nobody else do. For now, engineers bring nothing essential, unlike all others class of the meta.
Engineer, like everyone, is already dealing damages and/or aoe cc and/or can have a good survivability and/or can dispell/buff/anything. You can always find a strong build which will contribute to the basics needs, but you will never find one with a unique ability only engineers could do.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

The main issue is that, the bigger the zergfight gets the more walls and feedbacks you encounter. This means that the engi becomes less usefull as the scale of the fight goes up.

Dont shoot, throw nades in a condi build, flamethrower this 2 avoids WoR.

WoR is easy to kite, also any guard who stands in a midle of one for sure want a aoe spike, it will not survive….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

Dont shoot, throw nades in a condi build, flamethrower this 2 avoids WoR.

WoR is easy to kite, also any guard who stands in a midle of one for sure want a aoe spike, it will not survive….

If im gonna use flamethrower auto i might as well hit the enemy zerg with a wet noodle while running into the frontlines with a “kill me” sign.

in WvW

Deniara Devious.3948

Engineer is awesome for roaming purpose. The SD build melts all those thiefs and pu mesmer within seconds while you are able to deal with almost every build out there…okay CC and condi heavy builds may be a problem but engineer is still in a very good spot.

Static discharge engi has poor mobility, no survivability under focus fire and it has bad condition cleanse. I don’t know where you play, but dire + perplexity is common here in EU tier 1. And fair fights are rare.

When it comes to roaming, the most important 2 things are:
1. Ability to engage and disengage at will (thief, PU mesmer etc. do it much better)
2. Ability to handle unfair fights e.g. 1 vs 2-5 enemies

SD is a one trick pony. Surely it can kill another berserker fast, but the problem is the enemy zerkers usually don’t move alone. Once SD engi has his skills on cooldown, it has almost no defenses against enemy focus fire. Note: shatter mesmer and D/P+SD thief can also burst hard, but they can handle multiple enemies focus fire much better and disengage much better.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Stop with the “ANET doesn’t care about engis”. That’s just naive. For the longest time, engis have been OP in other game modes.

What other game modes besides spvp?

Engineers have always been rare in pve.

Please try to keep this discussion WvWvW related. The fact is: engineers have never been part of WvWvW meta. They are not part of the pirate ship meta, nor the melee train meta.

Engineers used to be good in WvWvW roaming, but still topped by some other professions like thieves, d/d elementalist, meditation guardian or PU mesmer. After June trait rework patch, the engineers are subpar in every role.

The past glory of engineers in spvp should NOT be used an argument to justify their current state spvp or in other game modes. WvWvW matters as much as spvp. I and many others enjoy to play WvWvW as their game mode and the lack of profession balance is a very common complaint in map chat and personally I know players who stopped playing this game because the developers continue to ignore this. They played WvWvW hard core, but just cannot stand the imbalance.

Look at http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki
under WvWvW you can find ZERO roaming and zerg builds for engineers, but you can
viable, meta or great builds for all other professions, besides the Revenant, which is still
under work.

There are simple ways to buff engineers without making them OP in spvp:
- rework medkit to make it viable alternative (currently medkit #1 is joke, medkit #2-5 too slow and clunky, your WvWvW commander is not gonna ask you bring your engi + medkit to heal their zerg)
- make mortar more viable alternative to ele staff e.g. offer traits to reduce it’s CD, increase radius of the attacks to match ele staff, make orbital strike hit harder
- revert grenade range nerf or at least offer a trait to increase it’s range, 900 is way too little to make any sense in pirate ship meta (where enemy staff eles can hit you even 1500+ range, trust me fire staff #1 hits over 1500 range, not to mention LB ranger, which can hit from 1900+ range)
- bring back the missing traits, which were supposed to become baseline, but didn’t,
e.g. elixir gun needs 1200 range
- most healing traits are under powered and close to useless, except bunker down
- many damage related traits are far weaker than similar level traits offered by other professions e.g. shaped charge (mere conditional 5 % dmg increase, no other utility and it is master level trait!)
- FT + juggernaut is significantly better now, but auto attack still risky vs retaliation
- gadgets are still subpar
- turrets… I don’t even want to start this :-(

Please comment WvWvW, not other game modes!

Ummm

Engis are NOT rare in PvE. have you been checking your LFGs lately ? Engis are in an overall very good spot for PvE. great in Fractals, dungeons and very good at event farming. You will find MANY upper fractal groups running double engis, ideally 1 burn spec and 1 power variant per team. I happen to run among them on my engi.

I can tell you we are in a better spot in PVE then in SPVP or in WvW, and as I said before, only things I would do to buff engis would be increase base power damage component on mortar and flamethrower + rework gadgets a bit, eitehr lower their CDs greatly or their effectiveness. Other then that, us engis are in a good spot.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: OneEightHundred.5689

OneEightHundred.5689

The main benefits that engineers have right now in larger fights is several solid utility skills on short cooldowns. Flash Shell and Endothermic Shell are good at blunting enemy team pushes, Endothermic Shell is also good at cutting off retreats, and Healing Turret is an extremely good AoE heal.

The problem is that their damage is unreliable on anything that isn’t right up in their face. Eles have much more ranged AoE pressure with similar utility, and necros, mesmers, and rangers have a much easier time getting their damage abilities to actually hit something. Engineers haven’t been threatening in group fights since before the mortar nerf.

There’s also the fact that Magnet, which should be a really good caster-sniping skill, hardly ever works correctly.

For roaming, their main problem at the moment is that they aren’t mesmers, a problem that they share with most classes.

in WvW

Posted by: Morpid.3659

Morpid.3659

Engi need some buffs to be on par with other professions or just pray for elite spec to bring someting good cause if not… say good bye to WvW as engi and reroll