WvW, EoTM, and The Megaserver

in WvW

Posted by: JMadFour.9730

JMadFour.9730

just want to preface this with the fact that I have very little WvW experience (little nervous about jumping in, when I haven’t leveled all the way up yet), so I’m just asking a theoretical question here to you full-time WvWers.

according to the Wiki page for EoTM:

Worlds will be matched according to which color they are in the current WvW matchup. For example, all green worlds will be on the same team in the Edge of the Mists.

so EoTM is not truly server-based, in its matchups?

How would you feel if EoTM were a testing ground for bringing the Megaserver System into WvW, and if at some point they replaced Server Matchups with a full-time Faction-based WvW war, a la Kurzick vs Luxon in GW1, but with 3 factions?

“Quaggan is about to foo up your day.” – Romperoo

(edited by JMadFour.9730)

in WvW

Posted by: neonreaper.4805

neonreaper.4805

EotM/Megaserver would help solve stale matchups, and with 3 hour scoring chunks would eliminate off-hour coverage/staying up late problems. With traps and automatic updates, you don’t have to spend a lot of time worrying about scout incentives.

However you would lose out on reliable groups, server cultures, and voice comm. The tradeoff isn’t really worth it.

[BE] Pumpkin / Rhinox3 / Reyn Time / Pale
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Nymph of Meliai.6739

Nymph of Meliai.6739

it would destroy wvw… eotm is just karma train pvd 90% of the time… the points and weekly system of wvw gives something to defend for… defenders make more fights for attackers… as I keep saying over and over and over again to the gvg crowd… you need defenders and points in order to have fights or you just end up eotm pvd boredom.

Eotm is actually an awesome map but the rules of eotm and not having any server pride to fight for has meant there are almost no defenders which leads to pvd. The best thing about EotM which is the only reason you see me there now and again is that you can get a lot of BoH in a short time which allows me to buy siege… I never seem to get many BoH in wvw proper. In fact it is something I would like to see changed… a guarantee of at least 2 BoH for every foe killed… then I wouldn’t need to do eotm at all.

However, something that eotm could provide is gvg between servers who are not matched up… if Anet could change OS to a Megaserver system then I think a lot of guilds would appreciate it and it would finally put to rest all the arguments about gvg vs points.

Nymeria Meliae | SoS
Acid Bath Babies Go Plop Plop [FizZ]

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

No community —> people don’t care about the “team” and teammates —> people don’t care about winning —> karma train 24/7.

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that.

now, If we had week long matchups broken into 56 subset 3 hour rounds,

you would be able to separate time zones (EU, NA, OCX, SEA) and still maintain server identities, while simultaneously reducing the perceived impact of complete domination from coverage.

It could be a different kind of scoring as well, calculated from the “wins” from those 3 hour matches

(edited by Hamster.4861)

in WvW

JMadFour.9730

In the interest of furthering discussion, I ask this:

Seems that the largest concern regarding something like this would be the loss of Server Community/Identity/Culture.

1) Haven’t we begun losing this already due to everyone being merged outside of WvW?

2) Could the Server Community/Culture be rebuilt as Faction Pride, the way it was done in DAoC?

3) Theoretically, could the Megaserver even HANDLE full WvW?

(edited by JMadFour.9730)

in WvW

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

I wish this system (Megaserver) was in place for normal WvW. It would get rid of population imbalances. The megaserver would still place you with guild members and people on your friend list so you could still play with them on WvW.

On my server we’re lucky if we have a group of 10 playing at all times, and only on peak hours we can achieve something like 20-40 players. It’s really depressing, and I don’t feel like paying 20 bucks to fix the game. That’s Arena net’s job. Besides, I enjoy playing with people I met on WvW.

So yes, I welcome the Megaserver or any other system that can fix the server population imbalance like server merges or free transfers to low-medium pop servers, or any other thing. I’ve only started playing 2 months ago but from what I’ve seen, Anet has some very creative people on their team. I know they could come with a solution for this if they wanted to.

Regarding EOTM, I have to say I love the map. It is a lot more interesting and impressive than Eternal Battlegrounds or the other borderland maps, but the main issue I have with it is that you’re not really helping your server, you’re just playing for yourself.

(edited by Davey.7029)

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

JMadFour
1) no we did not, a lot of servers still have own identity and transfering guilds did not changed it
2) no it cant because of overflow system. Even if my whole guild is going into EOTM we must use taxi system otherwise we ends up in different overflows. This way it will be much harder to build some identity if you never knwo who will you play with and you will need to look for them on some voice comm
3)of course it can

in WvW

JMadFour.9730

JMadFour
1) no we did not, a lot of servers still have own identity and transfering guilds did not changed it
2) no it cant because of overflow system. Even if my whole guild is going into EOTM we must use taxi system otherwise we ends up in different overflows. This way it will be much harder to build some identity if you never knwo who will you play with and you will need to look for them on some voice comm
3)of course it can

oh there are still overflows? I thought the Megaserver system was supposed to do away with those.

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Megaserver – does not matter what server you are on
overflow – if map is full, overflow is created, can be seen mostly on lvl 80 maps, new maps in LS and EOTM. You wont have overflow text in map, but if you and your friend are on same WP and you dont see him, he is in different overflow

in WvW

Posted by: neonreaper.4805

neonreaper.4805

I think if they broke up WvW into 8 hour chunks (similar to the 3 hour chunks for EotM) that could be good. EotM’s color-based teams wouldn’t work for WvWvW but maybe we can get some inspiration, and increase volatility while decreasing matchup length.

To throw GvG a bone, put Obsidian Sanctum onto the megaserver system. Guilds may have to taxi in, but, that seems like it’d be way better.

[BE] Pumpkin / Rhinox3 / Reyn Time / Pale
Fort Aspenwood