WvW Exploit/Abuse of AOE Target limit of 5

in WvW

Posted by: Cruentus Liber.6042

Cruentus Liber.6042

today we saw a very large group of 40 people on Abbadon’s Mouth server getting keeps and towers while they were standing in front of the gates all together in one spot and we couldnt do anything, and i just learned that all AOE skills have a limit of 5 targets, so it was impossible to kill them, cc them or anything at all. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Area_of_effect

(edited by Cruentus Liber.6042)

in WvW

Posted by: dezarc.7289

dezarc.7289

Those are well known and intended game mechanics and using them to your advantage when you have large numbers it not the definition of exploitation or abuse.

in WvW

Cruentus Liber.6042

so u think is fun and realistic to see 40 people as one model ? and AOE skills hit 5 of 40 ?

in WvW

Posted by: Bogartan.2756

Bogartan.2756

I wasn’t aware of the 5-target limit, and maybe there’s room for debate on that mechanic, but I don’t think the example you’ve provided is an exploit.

If AoE isn’t working against the enemies, then single-target abilities should be used. Unless I’m misunderstanding something here. Were you perhaps trying to use a siege weapon against this opposing horde?

Sorrow’s Furnace
{SN} Sentimental Nightmares
Darsveth, Warrior – Dexter Oliver, Thief

in WvW

Posted by: steb.7048

steb.7048

That mechanic should no exist in WvW. The game type encourages large battles of players, and having your AoE only hit a max. of 5 enemies from a pool of x is a joke.

Charr Warrior & Asura Necromancer
Proud member of Heresy on Blacktide EU.

in WvW

Cruentus Liber.6042

exactly as steb said, model colision is the best solution here for arena net i believe OR no limit on ALL skills

in WvW

Cruentus Liber.6042

Those are well known and intended game mechanics and using them to your advantage when you have large numbers it not the definition of exploitation or abuse.

if it was game mechanic why some AOE skills say 5 target limit and some not? typo in so many skills ?

in WvW

Posted by: Kralous.7563

Kralous.7563

Because as far as I was aware, not all AoE is limited to 5.

in WvW

Posted by: buzzkapow.8465

buzzkapow.8465

Totally an exploit. Abusing an in-game mechanic. I’m pretty sure Anet never figured that 40 people would stand on 1 spot to abuse it. I would expect it to change.

in WvW

Posted by: Turkman.1089

Turkman.1089

Player AOE is limited to 5. Siege AOE not. So if you see someone using that cuddle tactic (legit, as long as mesmer zerg port is legit, imo, because fighting invisible enemies is as uncool…) put down some arrow carts or ballistae and soon you’ll have killed them.

However, I’m not against changing this, as it seems to powerful. But I’d also change the mesmer portal and limit it somewhat so that not a whole zerg can fit through; Because as it stands now, this cuddling was pretty much developed because of mesmer portal action. With this tactic you can at least react before being dead. If you would spread out as usual all you’d see is a short lag and then all your comrades dead on the ground.

Abaddon’s Mouth
Renth/Eirik
[DP] Diamond Pirates

(edited by Turkman.1089)

in WvW

Cruentus Liber.6042

Player AOE is limited to 5. Siege AOE not. So if you see someone using that cuddle tactic (legit, as long as mesmer zerg port is legit, imo, because fighting invisible enemies is as uncool…) put down some arrow carts or ballistae and soon you’ll have killed them.

ok this is a solution but still this mechanic is not fun at all, i hope arena net do something about it

in WvW

Posted by: Turkman.1089

Turkman.1089

Yeah it’s definitely not fun and I also don’t think that it’s intended to work that way. So we may see some update on that. (But then again, some classes have more, some less aoe, if you wouldn’t limit the aoe somehow, a bunch of eles with meteorshowers would take out whole zergs) But I think a lot of things that are working right now in WvW are not being used in the way the devolopers imagined them being used;
ie mesmer portals: everyone with a bit of organization uses them by now, but I still think it’s lame to kill off defenseless enemies who have no chance on reacting to the attack. At least not on a zerglvl; if it would only work for groupmembers I would be ok with it, but one mesmer taking through 50 people seems a bit crass to me.

Abaddon’s Mouth
Renth/Eirik
[DP] Diamond Pirates

in WvW

Posted by: Knyx.5926

Knyx.5926

Yea if they increase the AOE potential, they will also have to fix the LoS exploiting of people on the walls. More times then I can count, there was a Ranger or Rifle warrior on a wall (not standing on the edge) able to fire and use all there skills on me whilst I was down below but whenever I tried to use any attack on any of my characters it would say “Obstructed”

in WvW

Posted by: Firefly.4165

Firefly.4165

It’s a survival stack. Use 1xmesmer and 1xnecro to negate it.

in WvW

Posted by: Firefly.4165

Firefly.4165

This is what happens when you do it to a stack:

http://imgur.com/5VG6t

Anyone staying in the bubble just kill themselves. In the image the smart ones got out of it.

in WvW

Posted by: Pryda.8257

Pryda.8257

Red Guard [RG]

in WvW

Posted by: EnoLive.2367

EnoLive.2367

Bah an AoE is an AoE if your daft enough to be stuck in one then you deserve to be killed off as far as I’m concerned, would def put a stop to grouped zergs that can’t be killed

Co Leader & Founder “Privateers Uk” [PUK]
Gandara
Eno Live (Ele)

in WvW

Posted by: aaron.4317

aaron.4317

We call it part of the “casual code” in our guild.

Basically, Guild Wars 2 is designed to let casuals play in WvW and still be succesful even though they are terrible.

Hence, there is a lot of code designed to keep zergs alive even when out played. One of the largest parts of this is the AOE cap.

See also: the downed state, no real crowd control, and no support classes.

in WvW

Posted by: dezarc.7289

dezarc.7289

so u think is fun and realistic to see 40 people as one model ? and AOE skills hit 5 of 40 ?

I never expressed my opinion on the issue, merely that it is not an exploit. It would be the same as complaining about thieves HS spamming. They are playing by the game’s mechanics fair and square. Dislike of the game mechanics and discussions on how to improve them are usually welcomed, but I don’t think calling it an exploit is fair.

in WvW

Posted by: Kerri Knight.3168

Kerri Knight.3168

aaron.4317

We call it part of the “casual code” in our guild.

Basically, Guild Wars 2 is designed to let casuals play in WvW and still be succesful even though they are terrible.

Hence, there is a lot of code designed to keep zergs alive even when out played. One of the largest parts of this is the AOE cap.

See also: the downed state, no real crowd control, and no support classes.

Sounds like some of you have a bit of an inferiority complex and just need to create some flimsy rationale for how you weren’t “really” outplayed.

Downed state has nothing to do with hardcore/casual.

No “real” crowd control? There’s roots, there’s snares, there’s stuns, there’s KDs and KBs, there’s fears. What more do you want?

No support classes? That’s funny, I have no problem finding specs to play support with. No, there is no class that just does support and nothing else, but that’s a conscious design choice. Still, the ability to be a support player is available, so your point is rendered invalid.

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Looks easy to counter by a meager arrowcart.