WvW Livestream on GW2 Twitch Channel

in WvW

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

Hey all,

Izzy is streaming WvW tactics right now on Twitch.TV.

Here’s the info:

Join Isaiah Cartwright here on the official Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel as he talks about good tactics for small squads in WvW. The livestream begins this Friday, May 10th, at noon Pacific time.

http://www.twitch.tv/Guildwars2

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

in WvW

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

That spot to cata on hills is pretty cool. Learn something new every day.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

That spot to cata on hills is pretty cool. Learn something new every day.

I would not have thought the splash was that big, but we’ll give it a whirl. Thanks Issy.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

The best thing a small group can learn is how to use terrain. At the end of that match at hills he jumped down the hill to draw them off the wall. Second part would then be to come back up and use knockbacks to throw them off the cliff. If they even get 2-3 players off the cliff they become divided enough to finish off.

Little red Lioka

in WvW

Posted by: Rhymelark.4396

Rhymelark.4396

Any chance you guys can do this on another day besides Friday at reset times? Would really like to be able to watch this

My sword is big enough to back my big mouth.
[RPS] & [PRXM] Lippsy
Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Posted by: boak.6258

boak.6258

So multiple times throughout the stream, he claims that attacking guards in front of towers/keeps will contest it. Disappointing that anet doesn’t know the basics of their own game. :|

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in WvW

Posted by: Isaiah Cartwright

Previous

Isaiah Cartwright

Guild Wars 2 Lead Designer

Next

Thanks everyone who came out it was a lot of fun. Let me know if there is anything I could do improve it next time.

~Izzy @-’——

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Attacking vets at camps contests the camp, attacking guards at towers/keeps does not contest the tower/keep.

I think izzy is more of an spvp player so yeah he might not be down with all the wvw mechanics. That’s the danger of livestreams if your wrong everyone finds out.

(he also didn’t know that fortified walls means that the door will be reinforced).

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Thanks everyone who came out it was a lot of fun. Let me know if there is anything I could do improve it next time.

Reroll Asura imo

:3

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Draygo.9473

Also a delay on the stream might help, when your doing small group stuff people just want to play with a developer so your attracting quite a crowd which goes against what your doing.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Just do your entire run with your group before you start the stream and record the video. Then when you do the stream, playback the video that you recorded and add your commentary live then.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in WvW

Posted by: Elitejelly.7462

Elitejelly.7462

you could do a zerg stream teach commanders what to do and some big group tactics.

IM SO HYPED FOR HOT I CAN FLIP A TABLE.
(/o_o)/ |_|
hype over.

in WvW

Posted by: Loki.4139

Loki.4139

That was a good stream. Thanks for the tips!

Next time can you turn off the chat bubble? in the beginning when you entered EBG. that Relkou player was just bugging the kitten out of you and the viewers who were watching. i had to stop watching and rewatch it later since he was so annoying.

Thank you!

Lôkíi
Commander
[NNK]

in WvW

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

Here is his advice on dealing with good thieves from the stream:

He says a good thief can kill 6 people who don’t know how to deal with them. He then gives his advice on how his small group deals with a good thief and the advice is basically “Just move on. You aren’t going to kill him.”

Brilliant. And that is coming from developers.

Go to the 22m30s mark.

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

(edited by Oozo.7856)

in WvW

Posted by: Nightingale.8364

Nightingale.8364

Totally lost for words

in WvW

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

I dont think he meant a good thief can kill 6 people. I think he meant more a good thief can tie up 6 people. In this case, the thief didnt kill anyone, but he did distract them and pulled them off their course temporarily.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

in WvW

Posted by: OZFugazi.6178

OZFugazi.6178

thanks iz

for taking the time.

ps. next time get that “other” keyboard, for your “big” hands.. never has a make do move been over scrutinized. although, your click skills are old school pro.

cheers
oz

in WvW

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

Next time can you turn off the chat bubble? in the beginning when you entered EBG. that Relkou player was just bugging the kitten out of you and the viewers who were watching. i had to stop watching and rewatch it later since he was so annoying.

Thank you!

I’m sure the devs have to deal with players like that every time they turn the ANET tag on.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

in WvW

Oozo.7856

I dont think he meant a good thief can kill 6 people. I think he meant more a good thief can tie up 6 people. In this case, the thief didnt kill anyone, but he did distract them and pulled them off their course temporarily.

First he said a good thief could keep a group like his tied up for hours. Then he said a good thief could kill 5 or 6 if they don’t know how to handle thieves. Then, he gave his advice to deal with good thieves which was to “just move on.”

That is basically an acknowledgement that the stealth and porting available to a thief is ridiculous in this game coming straight from the developers but they seem to be just perfectly fine with.

Official Anet stance on fighting good thieves: “Just move on, you aren’t going to kill them”

Brilliant.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Dam i missed it! Thank you bradderzh.2378 for the link of the recording.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

No clicking. Play a decent setup that can take on larger numbers. Frankly watching you guys play was painful and I doubt it encourages people to rush out and try it. Do more then point out the obvious. Talk about improvements that are coming to the game to encourage this type of play. Those would be my suggestions.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Oozo.7856

No clicking. Play a decent setup that can take on larger numbers. Frankly watching you guys play was painful and I doubt it encourages people to rush out and try it. Do more then point out the obvious. Talk about improvements that are coming to the game to encourage this type of play. Those would be my suggestions.

Agreed. Also, play during primetime NA hours on a reset night to give that true small squad experience. Playing in the middle of the day on a workday doesn’t give the experience full justice.

in WvW

Posted by: Nightingale.8364

Nightingale.8364

Still lost for words…..

in WvW

Posted by: Dedalus.3065

Dedalus.3065

It’s only because of stealth, which is why they’re introducing the anti-stealth traps in a couple of days. Seriously, a mechanic where the counter is based on luck is a bad mechanic.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

It’s only because of stealth, which is why they’re introducing the anti-stealth traps in a couple of days.

See that would be utterly stupid, doing it for 1 class, rather than just balancing the class better or providing anti stealth abilities on other classes.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Rob.7624

Rob.7624

Give us more warning next time so we don’t go outside and visit friends/loved ones and instead stay in to watch you kill some noobs.

Also.
Your video did not have any cake.
Did you not know this was required?
Please be more considerate to the Cakatarians next time.
They are deeply hurt.

Attachments:

Commander Bird Song
Northern Shiverpeaks Night Crew
Os Guild

in WvW

Draygo.9473

First he said a good thief could keep a group like his tied up for hours. Then he said a good thief could kill 5 or 6 if they don’t know how to handle thieves. Then, he gave his advice to deal with good thieves which was to “just move on.”

That is basically an acknowledgement that the stealth and porting available to a thief is ridiculous in this game coming straight from the developers but they seem to be just perfectly fine with.

Official Anet stance on fighting good thieves: “Just move on, you aren’t going to kill them”

Brilliant.

You would prefer him to give bad advice? Like waste your time chasing a permastealth thief that bounces from npc to npc to stay in stealth. The purpose of the stream isn’t to give us design thoughts. And spending your time chasing a defensive thief around is a waste of time in the game. I would prefer it if anet hits some of the major stealth skills and combofields that thieves use to maintain permastealth but that’s not the purpose of the video. (and anet has said that they want to make the thief more survivable so they can nerf its stealth somewhat).

Anyway I would prefer it if the devs did stream wvw every week, even if they arn’t the greatest players. They have full time jobs you cant expect them to be top players compared to some people who can put in 10-12 hours a day into playing the game.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Dedalus.3065

Dedalus.3065

providing anti stealth abilities on other classes.

Traps are their way of doing this.

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

Honestly, thieves are not that big of a deal to fight against. You are either built to defend against them or you are not. You have to make that decision. If you aren’t built to go toe to toe with a thief, run in a group.

I might be biased because I am a ranger, but I think all the crying about thieves is not justified. Most of the thieves in WvW are glass cannons and rely on stealth for defense. Make sure they can’t go into stealth. Win.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

providing anti stealth abilities on other classes.

Traps are their way of doing this.

Sounds like feature creep to deal with uncontrolled design.

in WvW

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

Longbow for warrior! Cant play without it. Cool stream, but knew everything :P

Come to Desolation some time, and show us how to destroy a 100 man zerg! Thanks

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

in WvW

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

Please move to Jade Quarry or SoR and cast when my team gets off work next time, thanks! ;-D

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

in WvW

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

I found it funny that people were trolling about zerging in the small squad tactics video, failing to realize that the nature of the stream draws people in. The fact that the enemy was basically using the stream to follow them from across the map should prove that.
Maybe the should just run a youtube video of them do that, without the stream cheater ;P
But for the first half of the stream it was pretty good. It pretty much how my guild runs when they run in small groups.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Can’t say I’ve seen a successful siege at that location on Hills. That’s a fun spot to troll people who try though.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: The Emperor Glory.3927

The Emperor Glory.3927

Stop the complaining about thieves! Here is a community posted vid that shows exactly hwo to deal with them!

Glory – [GoW] Glory of War. Piken square loyalist.

in WvW

Oozo.7856

But for the first half of the stream it was pretty good. It pretty much how my guild runs when they run in small groups.

Taking undefended supply camps and killing solo roamers? Yeah, powerful stuff.

in WvW

Posted by: Loki.4139

Loki.4139

Thank you!

I’m sure the devs have to deal with players like that every time they turn the ANET tag on.

Disabling the say chat bubbles would be good for streaming. You can notice each time that guy said something he would walk away or open map chat till the chat bubble disappears. By disabling the chat bubble during stream. the viewers don’t have to see it and the streamer doesn’t have to deal with it.

Or atleast it will only show on the chat on the bottom left but was being covered by the Cam 2.

Lôkíi
Commander
[NNK]

in WvW

Oozo.7856

And lo, now anyone who doesnt play a thief has an excuse when facing a thief in wvw. Just dont bother. No seriously, dont bother, anet dev said a thief could tie up six people for hours, whats the point of going one on one?

Rather than really teaching new stuff or strats in wvw, the dev just confirmed that thieves are stupid good roamers. So good, that if you meet one, just dont bother.

Yeah, pretty kitten funny. But, I’ve got bad news for the super l33t “it’s a good thief, don’t even bother – just move on” strategy. If a thief wants to they can follow you around and harass your group as much as they want to. Witness the 1v15 thief movie that was just posted.

They tried ANet’s advanced strategy of running away but it didn’t work.

Congratulations ANet on creating a game with some of the worst trolling builds in the history of MMORPGs. That was no small feat.

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

Can’t say I’ve seen a successful siege at that location on Hills. That’s a fun spot to troll people who try though.

That spot is stupid and it makes me wonder about his play level if he thinks a tiny ledge that you have to jump to and that can be AoE’d from above is the best choice.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Jski.6180

And lo, now anyone who doesnt play a thief has an excuse when facing a thief in wvw. Just dont bother. No seriously, dont bother, anet dev said a thief could tie up six people for hours, whats the point of going one on one?

Rather than really teaching new stuff or strats in wvw, the dev just confirmed that thieves are stupid good roamers. So good, that if you meet one, just dont bother.

Yeah, pretty kitten funny. But, I’ve got bad news for the super l33t “it’s a good thief, don’t even bother – just move on” strategy. If a thief wants to they can follow you around and harass your group as much as they want to. Witness the 1v15 thief movie that was just posted.

Congratulations ANet on creating a game with some of the worst trolling builds in the history of MMORPGs. That was no small feat.

And they wanted to nerf stealth so a thf could not spam it but these forums complained about it to no end so Anet did not do it.
THESE FORUMS ARE KILLING THE GAME. No one knows what they want.

in WvW

Oozo.7856

And they wanted to nerf stealth so a thf could not spam it but these forums complained about it to no end so Anet did not do it.

Thieves complained about it. ANET broke the game by not addressing obvious and serious issues quickly enough, so now they are handcuffed to some of their bad design decisions.

in WvW

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

Thieves complained about it. ANET broke the game by not addressing obvious and serious issues quickly enough, so now they are handcuffed to some of their bad design decisions.

To be fair, they didn’t want to “Wack-a-Mole” balance by listening to the forums. In the case of stealth, however, it was an obviously broken mechanic that forum go-ers would naturally complain about.

in WvW

Posted by: Isaiah Cartwright

Previous

Isaiah Cartwright

Guild Wars 2 Lead Designer

Next

Thanks for the feedback here are some clarifications

Vets at tower: Looks like we changed how the defend event is trigger, it now only triggers on attacking the door or walls for keeps and towers, and any guard for all camps. Sorry for the confusion clearly I’ve been doing it wrong sense that was changed.

Thieves: The main thing I wanted to get across with thieves was not meant to be a commentary on balance but just on how you spend your time. There are many builds set up to be defensive and with good evasion and positioning you can run a group around in circles no matter what profession you are. If you let 1-2 people run your group around in circles and get a lucky kill here or there your letting the enemy tie you up when you could move on to another objective.

~Izzy @-’——

in WvW

Jski.6180

So what should stealth not mean stealth then? What is broken with the game if stealth is doing what stealth should be doing?

Just over all frustration with the GW2 forum community its hard to work out want they want WvW is the major case in point for the community not understanding what wanting something comply means.

Thank you for this Livesteam i sadly did not get to watch it live but its always nice when you guys help explain things to the community here because it feels like they are running blind only grasping at things they “hate” and not exploiting the things they like.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

That spot is stupid and it makes me wonder about his play level if he thinks a tiny ledge that you have to jump to and that can be AoE’d from above is the best choice.

Overall I thought the video was a nice little intro to WvW.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Vets at tower: Looks like we changed how the defend event is trigger, it now only triggers on attacking the door or walls for keeps and towers, and any guard for all camps. Sorry for the confusion clearly I’ve been doing it wrong sense that was changed.

Thieves: The main thing I wanted to get across with thieves was not meant to be a commentary on balance but just on how you spend your time. There are many builds set up to be defensive and with good evasion and positioning you can run a group around in circles no matter what profession you are. If you let 1-2 people run your group around in circles and get a lucky kill here or there your letting the enemy tie you up when you could move on to another objective.

Yeah….except that basically proves our point. If you see a thief, dont bother. And if you’re alone, you might as well be dead against one. You created a class that is always in control of a fight, that can attack when they want, while their opponent must either swing their sword wildly in one direction, stand still and pray for a good dodge, or just not bother and run away.

The problem is, it depends if the thief wants to even let you run away, since they can use the same tricks that are used for escapes to stay on target.

I guess it should be ‘when facing a thief in a group, pray you arent the one target and keep running’

in WvW

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

Fun to watch, unfortunately I could only catch the recording. While watching I couldn’t believe how disrespectful some of the players were, especially one guy who somebody already named.

in WvW

Posted by: Sacrx.6721

Sacrx.6721

Because we have talked before.. I know you loved that chess analogy. Gw2 has hardly changed so i would say even then and now the same applies.

You have the pieces and they all work great but your board has holes in it. Not to mention you seem to want to tear it in half. Then add some fuel and set it on fire.

However i will say as i did then before release to now. Anet maybe just did not understand the board.

Red Guard – Ultimate Dominator World First 25/6/13
if carlsberg played Guardian.

(edited by Sacrx.6721)

in WvW

Oozo.7856

It’s not about letting the thief run you around. If the thief wants to keep harassing your five man the advanced tactic of “moving on” will not work. They have stealth and mobility.