WvW Matchup Selection

WvW Matchup Selection

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

I have a question about wvw matchup selection. The general question may have been answered somewhere, but I can’t seem to find anything on he subject.
Let me start by posting recent numbers so that I can reference them.

Blackgate: 217
Jade Quarry: 213
Sanctum of Rall: 205
Tarnished Coast: 187
Fort Aspenwood: 184
Stormbluff Isle: 181
Sea of Sorrows: 180
Maguuma: 179
Yak’s Bend: 173
Dragonbrand: 163
Borlis Pass: 155
Ehmry Bay: 150
Isle of Janthir: 141
Henge of Denravi: 140
Crystal Desert 138

Okay, so I understand the further your score is away from another server the odds of facing that server decreases. I understand that they’ve shrunk the range of potential opponents lately as well, to reduce the odds of any one higher tiered server beating up on lower tiered servers.

My server is Dragonbrand, and there’s a big gap in points, (10 lower tha YB, 8 higher than BP) between us and any other server. The gap between us and BP is about the same as our gap with YB. Yet I notice we always face BP and never YB. So I look at the scores and ask “why?” I notice that in the past few weeks (since league ended) we’ve always faced servers lower than us. Again, why? (Not to take anything away from BP, they beat us last week.) It seems odd that in 5 weeks or so we wouldn’t face a higher tiered opponent, even once. How is it we manage to keep rolling Ehmry over and over again (13 point gap), yet not once have we faced Maguuma (16 point gap).

Then I look at the number of servers there are above us. 9 total, conveniently divisible by 3. Thinking about it, for us to face a server higher than us there’d have to be an odd server higher than us forced to face a server lower than us due to the fact that there are precisely 9 servers above us, (3 full matchups). The closest example in our case would be Yak’s Bend facing Borlis Pass. There’s an 18 point gap there — that’s pretty high. And since that’s effectively a requirement for my server (DB) to face Maguuma and SoS (which by the way is 17 points above us and in itself unlikely) it seems that it’ll never happen.

Looking at the numbers, SoR has 18 points more than TC — and that’s comparing the bottom of Tier 1 with the top of Tier 2.

My question is, does that mean my server’s matchups are artificially restricted due to the number of servers above us and the score gap?
Does that also mean that Ehmry Bay, who’s 13 points lower than Dragonbrand is FORCED to matchup against Dragonbrand due to the fact that it’s now virtually impossible for Dragonbrand to matchup with Isle of Janthir (22pt difference)?

Because if that’s the case, we’re soon all going to find ourselves facing the same servers week in and week out because you can’t go more than 3 servers down the list without there being some sort of huge point gap that prevents certain servers from facing lower tier’d servers.

Sorry I’m not the best at explaining things.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

(edited by Kovu.7560)

WvW Matchup Selection

in WvW

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

Yeah anet give DB a crack at t3 put YB down to t4.

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

WvW Matchup Selection

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

I think Kovu you got the point.
Eu looks like this:
19. Fort Ranik 1 466.519
20. Dzagonur 1 320.749
21. Ring of Fire 1 288.119
22. Arborstone 1 236.124

While RoF was ranked 22 4 weeks ago, we were matched against rank 23 and 24. Then Underworld went down from rank 19 to 23.
Until week 52, there were matches DZvs FR vs UW and RoF vs AS vs rank24 server.
From week 52, RoF and UW switched the place but matches are otherwise the same.

I think Anet made a mistake at matchup variations, like instead of 100, they tuned it down to 10.
rof
UW

I dont say I am not happy with fighting FR and DZ. But at least once a time, Anet team should check matchup variations, and if there are steady matches, they should for one week made matchups themselves.

And please dont count T1 here. T1 and T9(T8 in US) are in special position as they have enemy on on one side of scale. Like there is no T0 or T10 so T1 and T9 have limited choices with enemy.

But if you look on those numbers, RoF got difference of 50 points to AS and 200 to FR, but we dont fight AS. It really looks like some flaw in matchup system now or they forget league locks in matchups.

WvW Matchup Selection

in WvW

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

As a member of DB, I would really like to match up against a new server that can better compete with our around the clock coverage honestly. Would be nice to see some new blood. Nothing against Ebay and BP, but I know they are tired of fighting us due to our presence in other time zones.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

WvW Matchup Selection

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Hule, while it’s true that the bottom Tier doesn’t have any servers below them and the top tier doesn’t have any servers above them, my server is right in the middle and STILL facing the same two servers week in and week out because the point spread is just too darned high considering the restricted variations.
I feel like BP and EB are turning into the new TC and FA from the days of olde.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]