WvW Needs Better Advertisement

in WvW

Posted by: CrimeMaker.8612

CrimeMaker.8612

Now that my topic has caught your attention let’s jump right into the discussion. As we all know WvW iseason consistently losing population and it’s literally blob vs blob everywhere, GvG scene dead and havoc is still there but not so much. Don’t worry I wouldn’t be going to all those issues I just made this post with my ideas on how to fix WvW population.

1. Make WvW required for map completion once again. Previously you had to basically get every way point/point of interest in each map. No, that was a bad idea, you want to make it so that players only have to get way points, points of interest, hero points etc from home borderland or just one borderland and your side of Ebg excluding Stonemist Castle. Yes I know arena net implemented gift of battle reward track so people can actually experience WvW but tbh people are just going afk while the timer tiks and they got score towards gift of battle and not every player goes for a legendary after they are map completion so I think WvW needs to be included into map completion once again.

2. There needs to be a WvW specific guild wars 2 trailer. Seriously though arena net there is no game out there with RvR game mode like this until next year. Sonly I think you will profit a lot from making WvW specific guild wars 2 trailer, advertising it and letting people know that there is something lIke this out there trust me a lot of people will join and buy guild wars 2 just for WvW especially with the combat system and mechanis guild wars 2 has to offer.

3. Bring back WvW season. Yes arena net you have said WvW season are bad because there has been permanent loses of players and especially with this world linking and stuff but seriously thought take a vote. WvW season don’t have to be 3 months long they only need to be 3-4 weeks long and see how WvW population increase and please make sure players get op rewards for participating because rewards will definitely bring them PvErs into WvW.
Also that WvW legendary backpiece make it available through seasons only like PvP.

4. Make WvW specific achievements other than the ones that already exist for them achievement hunters and make them interesting ya know.

Those are few things I thought of arena net can do to bring in population to WvW. I know there is a lot of other things they can do so guys I highly request you guys to post your ideas down in the comment section because we all know a lot of experienced guilds and players have quit the game the only WvW is going to get better is by getting more players and it’s basically all on us few experienced players who are still playing this game to train those new guys so WvW gvg scene can be revived once again and WvW can be great again and people will actually start caring once again. I am still hopeful that WvW can be great again I hope most of you guys are too as well. Also guys let’s keep this post clean and out of drama.

What most people want Arena net to do to help with population. (At least what I gothink from reading the post.)

1. Make major cities like LA, Divinity reach, black citadel, etc server wide and make Team chat server wide.

(edited by CrimeMaker.8612)

in WvW

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

From the posts on the subject of removing crafting stations it is clear that a large fraction of forum goers do not want new people nor do they want to be bothered by people who do not 100% wvwvw accessing their game.
Your ideas would be horrible to them.

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

From the posts on the subject of removing crafting stations it is clear that a large fraction of forum goers do not want new people nor do they want to be bothered by people who do not 100% wvwvw accessing their game.

I understand your point but with these ideas I am pretty sure every 1/10 person who will enter WvW will become hardcore WvWer that’s how I was introduced and I know so many other hardcore WvW players that were introduced this way. If we want to keep the gamemode alive we can’t rely on those players returning because they aren’t so we need new blood.

in WvW

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

the main thing about WvW is there is a glass ceiling. You can only have so many people across the 4 maps before they all queue and people get fussy.

get more people at the times that people already play and cuase them to queue and you find the veteran wvw players can become a little inhospitable to the newcomers.

for me personally i feel for the overall health of wvw we need to do things to adress the glass ceiling and raise it if we want overall wvw population to grow.

As it stands it makes it that you want people to play wvw but only if they are going to play when you don’t, all for fear you will have to end up queuing and competing for a spot during your chosen play time.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in WvW

Yargesh.4965

I understand your point but with these ideas I am pretty sure every 1/10 person who will enter WvW will become hardcore WvWer that’s how I was introduced and I know so many other hardcore WvW players that were introduced this way. If we want to keep the gamemode alive we can’t rely on those players returning because they aren’t so we need new blood.

Yes, but that was my point. Several on forums cannot see this. The person at ANET who agreed with them also cannot see this.

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

the main thing about WvW is there is a glass ceiling. You can only have so many people across the 4 maps before they all queue and people get fussy.

get more people at the times that people already play and cuase them to queue and you find the veteran wvw players can become a little inhospitable to the newcomers.

for me personally i feel for the overall health of wvw we need to do things to adress the glass ceiling and raise it if we want overall wvw population to grow.

As it stands it makes it that you want people to play wvw but only if they are going to play when you don’t, all for fear you will have to end up queuing and competing for a spot during your chosen play time.

Well the glass ceiling you are talking about with queues and everything there are t9tal of 12 servers currently if every day all those 12 server start queue up then anet can start opening other servers there used to be totally of 24 servers on NA and there are 12 currently and you can see the difference. +reset being at 10pmest doesn’t help either when est and west coast players are all trying to get into map together on reset it’s just creates a long queue which can be avoided by just makimg reset early because anet isn’t going to do it cuz “it’s too early for pst players” like kitten pls

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

Yes, but that was my point. Several on forums cannot see this. The person at ANET who agreed with them also cannot see this.

Well he can’t see this because players are foracing them for not seeing this. Polls are all nice and stuff but with certain things anet should just do it with asking the players and if they rage let them also with the polls I hate polls because morr than 60% peoplease voting aren’t as experienced so that’s kittening bs.

in WvW

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

Well the glass ceiling you are talking about with queues and everything there are t9tal of 12 servers currently if every day all those 12 server start queue up then anet can start opening other servers there used to be totally of 24 servers on NA and there are 12 currently and you can see the difference. +reset being at 10pmest doesn’t help either when est and west coast players are all trying to get into map together on reset it’s just creates a long queue which can be avoided by just makimg reset early because anet isn’t going to do it cuz “it’s too early for pst players” like kitten pls

its more we need additional maps that can open and close to accommodate peak play periods and do more for the matchup other than ‘oh some supplies are in your citadel….’

newcomers are just not going to venture into wvw when its all queued up to wait to play something they haven’t tried yet. and during off peak time they can’t figure out what to do or who to follow because there isn’t enough people in the maps.

we need to build up the current overall wvw population so that the people that play other than strictly the peak hours can be enough to populate the core maps but have enough substantial wvw maps that during peak hours everyone can play and feel like they are in ‘real’ wvw and working towards to score without having queues on all the maps.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

its more we need additional maps that can open and close to accommodate peak play periods and do more for the matchup other than ‘oh some supplies are in your citadel….’

newcomers are just not going to venture into wvw when its all queued up to wait to play something they haven’t tried yet. and during off peak time they can’t figure out what to do or who to follow because there isn’t enough people in the maps.

we need to build up the current overall wvw population so that the people that play other than strictly the peak hours can be enough to populate the core maps but have enough substantial wvw maps that during peak hours everyone can play and feel like they are in ‘real’ wvw and working towards to score without having queues on all the maps.

Again you are right but you need population and only t1 and some t2 servers have that kind of population it all literally sums up to the same problem which is we need more playerso in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Want to advertise WvW?
Command on off hours for WvW until you know what you’re doing. People will follow you, and you will gain a positive reputation for doing well in important hours.
Start a guild. People kittenpect you may be willing to run with you if you command.
Start training pugs. This improves the quality of people on your server.
Now that you have a good following, tell people in your guild to invite their PvE/PvP friends to run with you. If they like it, they will come back.
This is how Dragonbrand’s Battleground Heroes [Hero] started way back when. That guild ran strong until its leader left the game.
Good leaders make WvW a better place. The only thing that I request from the devs is to cut the price of superior siege (regular ac is trash, and superior flame rams are a must vs non-paper gates). Being a regular commander is very expensive, and relying on donations is not reliable or appropriate.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

While I do agree that WvW could use some changes to help encourage people to start playing this game mode, I am not sure the suggested changes would actually work.
In order to address the issue, and find out why more people aren’t jumping into WvW is to ask them.
Take me for example. I VERY RARELY play WvW.
“Why not” you ask.
“Thats a very good question, allow me to explain…”
1. The maps are too large.
If I jump into a map, and the zerg/blob is on the other side, and there are no WPs available (even when there ARE WPs available) I spent a min. of 5 minutes just running to catch up. However, if I happened to get ganked by a small roaming group, I need to do that same run AGAIN. By then, the zerg is in a totally different area, or even a different map. And it starts all over again. Spending much of your time running from point A to B and hoping you don’t get killed is a MAJOR turn off.

2. Endlessly flipping objectives
So I found a small group and we went into the enemies BL and started flipping camps. We’d flip and move on to the next. Right after RI expired camp would flip back. Rinse and repeat. It didn’t matter where we were, just endlessly flipping objectives only to hold them as long as RI lasted, then flipped back. It gets old quick.

3. No reason to defend.
With a large zerg running around, there was no point in trying to defend. Most forts/camps were never upgraded because by the time it was able to upgraded, it would be flipped. Occasionally some would try to defend the keep or garrison, but it almost always proved useless.

4. Not really able to solo
Sure one could solo (if they were good) but more often than not, you were just ran over by the train. So there really was no point.

5. No real motivation to play
Sure they have reward tracks now (didn’t when I was trying to get into it), but you can do the same in PvP (which has a lot more action and is 10,000 times more fun). Other than playing to get the Badges of Honor for certain things, there really is no real point. No story to follow, no special rewards, no nothing really.

6. Too expensive
In order to be half-way effective you need to buy a whole different set of gear, blue prints, food, etc. In order to get involved into the game mode I need to spend some gold? What? Sure you can use your PvE gear, but that generally tends to be berserkers and is difficult at best to play, or ineffective against more than one opponent.

This of course is my perspective, but one has to ask, how many other people feel the same, or similar, when it comes to WvW? Address these, and other non-WvWers issues, and perhaps WvW might be able to be saved. I would love to get involved more, but these issues just kind of ruin the whole mode for me.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in WvW

Cecilia.5179

While I do agree that WvW could use some changes to help encourage people to start playing this game mode, I am not sure the suggested changes would actually work.
In order to address the issue, and find out why more people aren’t jumping into WvW is to ask them.
Take me for example. I VERY RARELY play WvW.
“Why not” you ask.
“Thats a very good question, allow me to explain…”
1. The maps are too large.
If I jump into a map, and the zerg/blob is on the other side, and there are no WPs available (even when there ARE WPs available) I spent a min. of 5 minutes just running to catch up. However, if I happened to get ganked by a small roaming group, I need to do that same run AGAIN. By then, the zerg is in a totally different area, or even a different map. And it starts all over again. Spending much of your time running from point A to B and hoping you don’t get killed is a MAJOR turn off.

2. Endlessly flipping objectives
So I found a small group and we went into the enemies BL and started flipping camps. We’d flip and move on to the next. Right after RI expired camp would flip back. Rinse and repeat. It didn’t matter where we were, just endlessly flipping objectives only to hold them as long as RI lasted, then flipped back. It gets old quick.

3. No reason to defend.
With a large zerg running around, there was no point in trying to defend. Most forts/camps were never upgraded because by the time it was able to upgraded, it would be flipped. Occasionally some would try to defend the keep or garrison, but it almost always proved useless.

4. Not really able to solo
Sure one could solo (if they were good) but more often than not, you were just ran over by the train. So there really was no point.

5. No real motivation to play
Sure they have reward tracks now (didn’t when I was trying to get into it), but you can do the same in PvP (which has a lot more action and is 10,000 times more fun). Other than playing to get the Badges of Honor for certain things, there really is no real point. No story to follow, no special rewards, no nothing really.

6. Too expensive
In order to be half-way effective you need to buy a whole different set of gear, blue prints, food, etc. In order to get involved into the game mode I need to spend some gold? What? Sure you can use your PvE gear, but that generally tends to be berserkers and is difficult at best to play, or ineffective against more than one opponent.

This of course is my perspective, but one has to ask, how many other people feel the same, or similar, when it comes to WvW? Address these, and other non-WvWers issues, and perhaps WvW might be able to be saved. I would love to get involved more, but these issues just kind of ruin the whole mode for me.

1. This is partially a matter of luck and partially a matter of awareness. Obstructing your nametag is often effective. I’ve hidden from zergs by standing under the bridge by anz and hiding behind the ramp in dredge on a Necro (Necro stealth op). I reccomend switching to a scout role when this happens. If you report enemies, the tag may come to you.
2. This is an actual flaw in the WvW system. Upgrades are slow and very powerful. Because of this, enemies will never allow a paper tower to upgrade. In ebg, it often comes down to who has the most upgraded objectives when prime time starts.
3. Same issue as #2. Defending a paper tower for 2 hours is a waste of time, because the tag won’t come unless it is upgraded.
4. With the right build, good PvPers can solo roam and win 1vX against lesser foes. It is sometimes fun, and you can solo flip camps, but this is a team game in an mmo, so taking a tower is always a group activity.
5. This is mostly an opinion, but because of glicko walls, there is no competitive aspect to WvW. Crystal Desert beats t4 by a landslide? Too bad it will take 2 months for them to get into t3 over the great Glicko wall, and then another 2 months to get into t2. By then, matchups will change and knock it back down.
6. I agree. Commanders are essential, but they have to buy tons of siege, which is expensive. Roaming is fun, but you need a set of full ascended to make the most of your stats. If siege wasn’t so expensive, I would command in WvW, because I want to, but I need to get ascended gear and keep up with the meta on all of my specs, so I can’t spend 20g to fund an endless supply of superior flame rams and arrow carts.

Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

WvW players WANT new Players, they don’t want players in WvW that are not there to play WvW.

Things like Crafting, farming, map completion are HORRIBLE. IDEAS ( I don’t think I can stress that enough) because that doesn’t make players come into WvW to become part of the community and actually play WvW, that just sets up a knitting club right in ht middle of the basketball court during the game. Just like Basketball teams want basketball players, WvW wants WvW players, not knitters, or quilters, or rock collectors coming on to the court during the match.

The best way to advertise WvW would be by making cities server based again and making a server wide chat so WvW players can talk about WvW and recruit from those and bring in players to actually play the game mode not come onto the court just to start chasing butterflies instead of play the game.

WvW PvP ads in gaming magazines and sites would help as well as long as they focus on the PvP aspects of WvW and not on rock collecting..

The Players coming in to WvW need to be players who want to get on voice coms and join their server websites as soon as they get there so they can start really learning how to play the game mode immediately and find out what it is really about instead of wandering around blind to what is really going on in the match. Getting involved in the Wvw community is the easiest and fastest way to get access to the many server resources available to help new players.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

Cecilia.5179

Server chat is a pretty sweet idea. Could get overrun tho.

#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Yargesh.4965

WvW players WANT new Players, they don’t want players in WvW that are not there to play WvW.

Things like Crafting, farming, map completion are HORRIBLE. IDEAS ( I don’t think I can stress that enough) because that doesn’t make players come into WvW to become part of the community and actually play WvW, that just sets up a knitting club right in ht middle of the basketball court during the game. Just like Basketball teams want basketball players, WvW wants WvW players, not knitters, or quilters, or rock collectors coming on to the court during the match.

The best way to advertise WvW would be by making cities server based again and making a server wide chat so WvW players can talk about WvW and recruit from those and bring in players to actually play the game mode not come onto the court just to start chasing butterflies instead of play the game.

WvW PvP ads in gaming magazines and sites would help as well as long as they focus on the PvP aspects of WvW and not on rock collecting..

The Players coming in to WvW need to be players who want to get on voice coms and join their server websites as soon as they get there so they can start really learning how to play the game mode immediately and find out what it is really about instead of wandering around blind to what is really going on in the match. Getting involved in the Wvw community is the easiest and fastest way to get access to the many server resources available to help new players.

Cool, a rather verbose way of saying what I said though.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Cool, a rather verbose way of saying what I said though.

No, you said they only want players who 100% wvw accessing their game mode. That isn;t true at all, we have numerous PvX guilds that play WvW in WvW and then have PvE events outside of raid times. That is what you gain access to on the servers team speak and website so that is why they should make sure to get on coms and involved with the community as soon as possible to get set up with people to help them . And even though yes, my guild is a 100% WvW guild, for example, we still have our members get together outside of WvW to help our members get set up with the gear they need by doing group PvE events to help them get the supplies needed to craft their legendary and ascended items and get the runes, sigils and food needed as well. Outside of raid times, there are always groups running to help with other things as well, so no it is not 100% WvW all the time, though that is our primary objective.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Tris Apollumenon.6435

Tris Apollumenon.6435

I have to say that as a primarily PvE player who was drawn into WvW relatively recently, requiring it for world completion would not have been an impetus to participate in WvW. Setting aside the question of how many ordinary, casual players actually go for 100% world completion (I don’t bother unless I’ve got nothing else to do; HPs and WPs only most of the time)… I’ve got a whole setup for map completion, and it doesn’t involve sticking around and fighting. It’s maximum mobility, maximum fight-avoidance, and maximum tunnel-vision. If I’d gone to WvW with the intention of grabbing required map completion sites, I would have had “eyes on the prize” the whole time and no time for any other nonsense.

in WvW

Posted by: Cybil Song.2359

Cybil Song.2359

Agreed, CrimeMaker, that WvW needs more diverse players and new blood, but the way it is now with the hard core players is that they don’t want that.
They want to play in a select clique of dedicated peoples to only WvW. This is the reason crafting was removed, it was suppose to improve waiting lists substantially,
Last night, the waiting list wast just the same as before, proving that the crafting stations has nothing to do with it and is just a myth, that someone is pushing for other purposes. The fix was like putting a band-aid on someone that just lost an arm.
In my case, i discovered WvW, because I came here for the WP otherwise, I’m sure, I would never have bothered. I was eager to get to level 80, back then, so I could play better with proper equipment.
Now , I’m coming less and less and not motivated one bit with what is going on. I know, that I’m not the only one that thinks like that. Anet makes it so unpleasant, to spend time here, that we drop out one by one.

in WvW

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My suggestion for an advertisement that is effective and easy to implement. Add back the crafting stations.

WvW had an excellent advertisement and entry into trying it for the PvE players. It was through the crafting stations that pulled people out of PvE and into the WvW “lobby” where they could see for themselves there was a whole other map and a whole other game type out there. With no casual reason for PvE players to go to WvW now, this means WvW will fall off their mental radar. On a day to day basis, WvW used to exist for these PvE players. It no longer does.

Removing the advertising that crafting gave to WvW is a short term fix for one problem that could easily cause long term population problems. Every business knows that the hard part is getting the customer through the door. The removal of crafting means that advertisement is now removed for a (possibly substantial) portion of the playing population.

ANet will need to look for ways to attract people to WvW that will take the place of stream of PvEers that came in to craft and stayed to play. The problem is, any solution they come up with to attract PvEers to WvW might have far more impact than the occasional queue in a borderland and it might not be what long term WvW players will like.

If the occasional queue in the borderlands was a problem, why couldn’t ANet simply increase the map cap populations by the average number of crafters rather than shutting down the PvE to WvW foot traffic?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Now that my topic has caught your attention let’s jump right into the discussion. As we all know WvW iseason consistently losing population and it’s literally blob vs blob everywhere, GvG scene dead and havoc is still there but not so much. Don’t worry I wouldn’t be going to all those issues I just made this post with my ideas on how to fix WvW population.

1. Make WvW required for map completion once again. Previously you had to basically get every way point/point of interest in each map. No, that was a bad idea, you want to make it so that players only have to get way points, points of interest, hero points etc from home borderland or just one borderland and your side of Ebg excluding Stonemist Castle. Yes I know arena net implemented gift of battle reward track so people can actually experience WvW but tbh people are just going afk while the timer tiks and they got score towards gift of battle and not every player goes for a legendary after they are map completion so I think WvW needs to be included into map completion once again.

2. There needs to be a WvW specific guild wars 2 trailer. Seriously though arena net there is no game out there with RvR game mode like this until next year. Sonly I think you will profit a lot from making WvW specific guild wars 2 trailer, advertising it and letting people know that there is something lIke this out there trust me a lot of people will join and buy guild wars 2 just for WvW especially with the combat system and mechanis guild wars 2 has to offer.

3. Bring back WvW season. Yes arena net you have said WvW season are bad because there has been permanent loses of players and especially with this world linking and stuff but seriously thought take a vote. WvW season don’t have to be 3 months long they only need to be 3-4 weeks long and see how WvW population increase and please make sure players get op rewards for participating because rewards will definitely bring them PvErs into WvW.
Also that WvW legendary backpiece make it available through seasons only like PvP.

4. Make WvW specific achievements other than the ones that already exist for them achievement hunters and make them interesting ya know.

Those are few things I thought of arena net can do to bring in population to WvW. I know there is a lot of other things they can do so guys I highly request you guys to post your ideas down in the comment section because we all know a lot of experienced guilds and players have quit the game the only WvW is going to get better is by getting more players and it’s basically all on us few experienced players who are still playing this game to train those new guys so WvW gvg scene can be revived once again and WvW can be great again and people will actually start caring once again. I am still hopeful that WvW can be great again I hope most of you guys are too as well. Also guys let’s keep this post clean and out of drama.

In order to compete with a pure pvp rvr game coming out that has 3 realms, 10 archetypes that translate to 30 unique customizable roles, a game engine that can function well with 500 player battles in the same area and is a sandbox… Here are some better ways to “advertise” WvW…

Improve the engine capabilities. This is a must regardless.

Make sure all links are as close to balanced as possible or go the 3 sided faction route with enough maps to host it.

Greatly improve professions and playable roles.

Revamp conditions and stealth.

Better rewards than what’s offered in reward tracks.

Doing all these will allow Anet to advertise better in the mmo universe and create player and gaming site buzz.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: Serith.3712

Serith.3712

I think what WVW needs is way more advertising to players outside of GW2 like trailers, interviews and such. Realm vs realm pvp has it’s own sizable, dedicated following of PVPers but the implementation in most games is really poor (worse then what GW2 has) along with a way larger grind to become competitive.

I came into GW2 WVW from Elderscrolls Online when I got sick of how messed up Cyrodil was. The only reason I found out that WVW was still a thing in this game was talking to friends who were already involved.

I’m really against trying to pull PVE players into WVW by hanging carrots like map completion or resources in front of them, this ends up with a bunch of players in WVW that don’t really want to be there. I don’t think there’s many players who will be pulled into WVW by being killed on the way to some PVE objective unless they were into open map PVP to begin with.

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

1. World completion including wvw again? meh, do we really need more pve players to come in and complain to us? They did for a couple years and eventually it was taken out.

2. Marketing with a wvw trailer? meh maybe, have you seen anets trailers? nothing really to get excited about. Living story is a big deal for pve players, or other holiday events, it needs something like that to promote wvw, like the weekly/weekends events as suggested in another thread. Obviously not stuff that’s overly pve in nature, as they’ll just annoy the wvw players.

3. Seasons, maybe, when the scoring changes come in, the matchups are actually looking balanced this weekend (other than t4 which shouldn’t have a 4 link). But then again what’s the point, the tiers look like they’re basically their own now and cannot compete with each other, t1=gold, t2=silver, t3=bronze, t4=4linkcopper. Can’t really run a tournament off that.

Wvw legendary backpiece, yes.

4. We have achievements, a lot of which pve players don’t have anyways. But yeah need some new fun ones to get.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Cybil Song.2359

I cringe at the idea of attracting new players in WvW, the way some suggests, in my experience, a more natural way through discovery and a few advantages is far better.
Let’s say, you have this mythical ad that is so great, that it attracts someone in, they have to figure out what is going out, what they should do next, what one needs for equipment, build etc, for this casual wannabe in the discovery of WvW. Eventually they get wiped out a few times, without figuring out why and they are on their way to avoid the place, so all this bogus advertisements end up in a big fat bubble and no results.
What one needs is a welcoming community that is helpful. The best commanders I had on raids were willing to explain some strategy and what was your role or what they need out of you also reminding peoples to get sups and the like. That however is very rare and a large number are the silent type or the bully type or the Mr KnowItAll and everyone else are Noobs.
Very few peoples are infused with the requirements here, one has to learn, the hard way in most cases.
The real limitation is that many don’t have the patience to stay, if the obstacles are too high or the rewards, paltry in comparison with other places.
Some have a passion for WvW, nothing wrong with that if also they understand where the others come from. You want population? Start treating the current players better and don’t turn it in an elite club.

(edited by Cybil Song.2359)

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Yeah sure WvWvW needs better advertisement, but WvWvW also needs to not be a lame experience.

What footage will they use in a WvWvW trailer? People getting blobbed down in big fights or the bloated condi play in small fights? The skilled play that has all but disappeared because they’ve discouraged it? Are they going to show ACs exploding on walls and zergs rubbing up against doors? The skill lag in WvWvW’s trademark “epic fights”? The tanking fps? There will have to be a lot of staging and misrepresentation and most new players will soon find out that they’ve been duped.

Then there’s trying to get PvE only players to not be scared of PvP, lol better games have tried but good luck.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

WvW is a awfull RvR/WvW mode… what kind of advertisement would they do?
video of blob range aoe spam meta???

blob 1 <———-SPAM HERE WHILE NOT HITTING ANYONE —-———-> Blob 2

Show aw amazing skill lag is?

Show how amazing capture empty towers is?

Show how amazing is to play gimmick builds??

Show how amazing broken the game has become?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

I WvW alot and I actually want more people to wvw; and they should because they work hard for gear in PVE. No point in it going to waste on just raid bosses.

in WvW

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

I liked wvw at first, but it leaves a sour taste after dealing with the community in it lately, I was under the impression wvw would require a more mature audience but apparently any kid cant get a commander tag and run their mouth while not leading anyone.

in WvW

Posted by: Mogrey.3891

Mogrey.3891

wvw needs players who wants to get into the mode. not forced into the mode.
crafting stations wouldn’t make pvers to start caring about wvw. neither world completion. they were many complains about world completion that’s why wvw got out of it.

i’m a poor and lonesome ranger.
Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

In order to compete with a pure pvp rvr game coming out that has 3 realms, 10 archetypes that translate to 30 unique customizable roles, a game engine that can function well with 500 player battles in the same area and is a sandbox… Here are some better ways to “advertise” WvW…

Improve the engine capabilities. This is a must regardless.

Make sure all links are as close to balanced as possible or go the 3 sided faction route with enough maps to host it.

Greatly improve professions and playable roles.

Revamp conditions and stealth.

Better rewards than what’s offered in reward tracks.

Doing all these will allow Anet to advertise better in the mmo universe and create player and gaming site buzz.

Yea, they don’t even tell us the population cap for the maps anymore due to not being able to do what they had originally set out to do. They had to lower the population cap or the game wouldn’t run. I am not sure if they can even improve the game engine capabilities, but that would make a huge difference I think in how the game is viewed.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Yeah sure WvWvW needs better advertisement, but WvWvW also needs to not be a lame experience.

What footage will they use in a WvWvW trailer? People getting blobbed down in big fights or the bloated condi play in small fights? The skilled play that has all but disappeared because they’ve discouraged it? Are they going to show ACs exploding on walls and zergs rubbing up against doors? The skill lag in WvWvW’s trademark “epic fights”? The tanking fps? There will have to be a lot of staging and misrepresentation and most new players will soon find out that they’ve been duped.

Then there’s trying to get PvE only players to not be scared of PvP, lol better games have tried but good luck.

WvW footage of a zerg sitting on ACs siege humping in a tower, while players in map chat are asking for them to go PvD something so they can farm their gift of battle faster.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

1. Map completition requirement would draw in players who do not want to play WvW. It is better to let them not appreciate WvW in some place that does not add to queues.
  2. Creating a trailer consumes lot of resources without improving the game mode.
  3. WvW seasons… But what happens between the seasons?
  4. More achievements when the current ones are largely ignored? I cannot think of anyone who plays WvW because of the achievements. The titles earned are not even visible in WvW.

How about:

1. Make Lion’s Arch map server instanced again.
  2. Create in-game viewable matchup leaderboards for myriad of wvw specific activities. Track them for servers, guilds and individual players.
  3. Devote a district in Lion’s Arch to present the best guild/player of the leaderboards. Guild banners. Statue for the best player.
  4. Extend /t chat across all WvW maps and read-only in that one district in Lion’s Arch.
  5. Remove WvW abilities. Make them all baseline.
  6. Reset WvW ranks and remove WXP from EotM.
  7. Create skins accessible by WvW ranks only.
  8. Give players full access to all gear/consumables/sigils/runes and level 80 trait/skills/stats when entering WvW.
  9. Make objective improvements and tactics and guild war room upgrades only cost materials gained from WvW.

Lo and behold the game mode advertises itself!

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Cybil Song.2359

Dear WvW pro players, we got all the advertisement, we need as we do everything to show new players, that we welcome only the Pros, here, meaning those that play 8hrs a day in WvW, 7 days a week.
The rest are unwelcomed in any shape or form.
WvW is a select club, and only for champions, Platinum and above. Huge Zergs are also very welcome, the rest can go back packing for home.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Dear WvW pro players, we got all the advertisement, we need as we do everything to show new players, that we welcome only the Pros, here, meaning those that play 8hrs a day in WvW, 7 days a week.
WvW is a select club, and only for champions, Platinum and above. Huge Zergs are also very welcome, the rest can go back packing for home.

Funny how I don’t know any WvW guild that requires their players play 7 days a week and most WvW guild raids are under 4 hours. Most WvW communities are quite welcoming, if you visit their forums and join teamspeak, it is easy to find the help you need to find proper builds, classes and numerous players willing to show new players around and how to play. WvW guilds often help get new players set up and our guild, for example, has off raid groups that will help new players get the materials they need to make their ascended and legendary items needed to gear up.

The key to playing and improving WvW is to be in WvW to actually play WvW and not there for some other reason.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

As a veteran WvW player, I do want new people in WvW. What I don’t want is people clogging up the queues to use crafting stations or the mystic forge. We need people actually PLAYING WvW if they’re there.

Bringing people to WvW is a good thing, ANet is doing that by forcing them to complete a full reward track for gift of battle as well. It has actually brought people to WvW and some end up liking it and sticking around. I wish there were more incentives for PvE players to participate than just legendary crafting, but it is a start.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

If I’m lucky, I get an hour or two to play this game a day. I am platinum ranked and got most of my ranks from roaming over the past 3~ years. I think you need to drink some water, too much salt will cause dehydration.

Do I have time to teach new players how to WvW? Yes and no. I frequent the forums here and I share all of my tested and proven builds as well as the link to my stream where I play WvW exclusively. I don’t have time to sit down with someone and teach them how to dodge roll – if they can’t figure that out, I don’t know how to help them.

I don’t expect someone to be great right off the bat, but the builds are out there and watching people who are good at the game on streams and youtube helps out a lot if you don’t know what you’re doing. People have to want to learn or they can go feeling sorry for themselves because they’re not good yet. It doesn’t happen over night.

I’ve got around 3000 WvW ranks and I am still learning new things as someone who spent most of their time in WvW roaming solo or with just a few friends.. Don’t expect to be great quickly. Like all things in life, practice makes perfect.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

I miss the days when you could go to Lion’s Arch and rally the troops.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

So basically you guys are saying you do not want players from pve and you do not want new players? Then how do you expect WvW to get better? Yes anet can work on ppt system yes they can work on QoL but what about population? Population should be their first priority before it’s too late and it already is to be honest. GvG scene is dead and it isn’t going to come back until WvW gets more population new/old players. We need both and it’s our duty (experienced players) to teach these new players. There are a lot of players in PVE who I picked and the old leader of my guild did(I was picked up from pve) I am currently working on training the ones I picked yes not all of them want to be hardcore but he’ll sometimes even casuals can make a difference. Yes I also agree the team chat in map instances should work as a server chat and allow people to spam messages in chat because I see a lot of people in queue for eb and those players could be used to sometimes create second or third blob.

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

Again a lot of you have already said we don’t want this and we don’t want that. So what do you want? Give arena net some ideas to work with we need to provide them with some amazing ideas that they can implement to bring back people. Also I would like to mention it’s just in my opinion current the way meta it does favor blob warfare a lot that’s why you see less skilled groups out there I think class and skill balance will definitely bring back a lot of players back.

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

Kinda miss 15 v 40 and winning those fights :/
https://youtu.be/GJokTxBjCd0
https://youtu.be/tLvFxfXpjRA

Those days were literally the most fun days of WvW :,) anet gimme back pls…

(edited by CrimeMaker.8612)

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

So basically you guys are saying you do not want players from pve and you do not want new players? Then how do you expect WvW to get better? Yes anet can work on ppt system yes they can work on QoL but what about population? Population should be their first priority before it’s too late and it already is to be honest. GvG scene is dead and it isn’t going to come back until WvW gets more population new/old players. We need both and it’s our duty (experienced players) to teach these new players. There are a lot of players in PVE who I picked and the old leader of my guild did(I was picked up from pve) I am currently working on training the ones I picked yes not all of them want to be hardcore but he’ll sometimes even casuals can make a difference. Yes I also agree the team chat in map instances should work as a server chat and allow people to spam messages in chat because I see a lot of people in queue for eb and those players could be used to sometimes create second or third blob.

The thing is though if you bring players to Wvw for the wrong reasons, what you get is another PvE farm zone and none of those players will become part of the WvW community or fight other players. WHat we need to have happen is WvW to be advertised as a large scale PvP zone, not a PvE farm. WvW Need WvW players, the same way a basketball game needs basketball players. By making players think the area of a crafting stating, or a node farm, we get farmers and craters and not player who actually want to play the game. I like the idea of making cities server based again and allow a place for WvW to recruit from in addition to a server wide chat ( deflaut on) to help bring players in to actually play WvW instead of bringing in players looking for the NPC to kill.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Towelie.9504

Towelie.9504

I agree, we need ads in this game! There’s countless hours of ad revenue that is just being kittened away every second of the day.

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

So far I think we can all agree on one thing
1. Server wide cities and Server wide team chat.

in WvW

Posted by: Fatherbliss.4701

Fatherbliss.4701

Want to advertise WvW?
Command on off hours for WvW until you know what you’re doing. People will follow you, and you will gain a positive reputation for doing well in important hours.
Start a guild. People kittenpect you may be willing to run with you if you command.
Start training pugs. This improves the quality of people on your server.
Now that you have a good following, tell people in your guild to invite their PvE/PvP friends to run with you. If they like it, they will come back.
This is how Dragonbrand’s Battleground Heroes [Hero] started way back when. That guild ran strong until its leader left the game.
Good leaders make WvW a better place. The only thing that I request from the devs is to cut the price of superior siege (regular ac is trash, and superior flame rams are a must vs non-paper gates). Being a regular commander is very expensive, and relying on donations is not reliable or appropriate.

Very well stated. I am finally getting around to forming up my own guild. It is slow work. I’m a goofy person, I like to have fun while playing WvW. The best piece of advice I’ve seen so far is that it takes time to build up the type of atmosphere you want to see.

I am seeing people trickle in who are interested. But they are massively intimidated considering that the game has been out for some time now. People willing to show the basics are in need. It isn’t going to be for everyone. There are a ton of roles within WvW and I have found that all players have a niche. We just need to remember that not everyone loves frontline combat. Which is fine as long as someone does. Lol.

Leader of Goats of Thunder [GOAT]
Tarnished Coast: Bringing the Butter to you (no pants allowed)

in WvW

Posted by: Gudradain.3892

Gudradain.3892

Plenty of players in EotM

Afala – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

YES. I do like the ideas proposed of statues of WvW players and plaques and such. Statue of player with most Dolyak kills FTW! XD

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

YES. I do like the ideas proposed of statues of WvW players and plaques and such. Statue of player with most Dolyak kills FTW! XD

Lol let me edit my post and make a new section of what we all agree on or at least i think we all agree on anet should do

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Plenty of players in EotM

It just seems like that since they bunch up players from various servers to fill EotM, and that does not happen in WvW.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

They should just remove eotm because it literally has no purpose anymore the one purpose it had was which faster level up but that doesn’t happened anymore.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

They should just remove eotm because it literally has no purpose anymore the one purpose it had was which faster level up but that doesn’t happened anymore.

I think they should keep it to keep the ktrain over there instead of bringing it to WvW.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

I think they should keep it to keep the ktrain over there instead of bringing it to WvW.

There are a lot of players in EoTM who don’t even know what WvW and can get hooked to WvW