WvW Olympics

WvW Olympics

in WvW

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

This is an idea mostly for lower pop servers (there are a few outside of T8), though it could be tailored for anyone.

The WvW Olympics would be a series of events that teams register to compete in. The events should be focused on tactics that would be useful in the general course of WvWing, but should also be challenging enough that teams need to be clever. Anything that is allowed in WvW would be allowed in the Olympics, including guild buffs, superior siege, food, etc. (The only exception to this is commander tags.)

Below are some of my ideas for events. What are some events you would incorporate into the WvW Olympics? What rewards would you want to see from competing/winning? Is it even possible to organize something like this or am I optimistically delusional?

The 6-Camp Dash (For a team of 10)
How fast can your team cap all 6 supply camps in the green borderlands?
All 6 must be held by your server for time to be called, and be careful not to abandon one you’ve claimed. If it flips, that’s 5 min before RI wears off.

Bunker Tower Defense (For a team of 5)
How long can you hold a tower in enemy territory in EBG?
A zergball is coming at you in any second. How do you place your siege/use your abilities to keep them preoccupied? Time starts when the tower is capped by your server, and ends when you lose it.

3-Legged Golem Race (For a team of 5)
Can you get a Golem through a mapped out route before it dies?
Golems slow everyone down, and moving them quickly and discreetly is key. Using your WPs is disallowed, and winner is determined by the most health remaining. (Screenshot required.)

Dolyak Trebbing (For a team of 2)
Can you kill a dolyak using only a trebuchet?
You’ll never be worthy of the title Yakslapper unless you can pull this off. Winner is the team who uses the fewest number of shots. (I realize how ridiculous this one sounds, but it would be useful for counter-trebbing/eliminating enemy siege placement.)

Race for Attrition (For a team of 20)
How fast can you deplete SMC supply?
We all love SMC. It’s shiny and big and has a lot of great trebbing spots. Low pop servers rarely get their hands on it though. This is a race to run it dry. They can’t repair walls if they don’t have supply, amirite?

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

WvW Olympics

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

There’s something really, really, really really wrong with the basic game when people have to try to come up with “game-within-a-game” ideas to make things interesting. I would MUCH prefer that ANet spend their time and resources fixing the basic issues (lag, maps, matches, etc) in WvW than wasting time on distractions like this.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

WvW Olympics

in WvW

Nikked.7365

There’s something really, really, really really wrong with the basic game when people have to try to come up with “game-within-a-game” ideas to make things interesting. I would MUCH prefer that ANet spend their time and resources fixing the basic issues (lag, maps, matches, etc) in WvW than wasting time on distractions like this.

Perhaps I was misunderstood. This isn’t supposed to be something ANet designs. It’s supposed to be community driven.

I’m not looking to make a game within a game. I’m looking to challenge the players that are already present. Most of the idea here is to get more people involved in WvW and make a community-building way to train your teams. Instead of spamming in Lion’s Arch to try to recruit players to WvW, we can give them something to do. Form a team, build creative strategy. It’s amazing what people will come up with when put in really stressful situations. And these are all skills that will carry over into everyday battle.

Dragonbrand

WvW Olympics

in WvW

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

These Olympics sound very special

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

WvW Olympics

in WvW

Nikked.7365

Ah, I forgot my place. The forums are a place for complaining, and I shouldn’t have left myself open to such an easy retort. Too bad “Tough Mudder” was already taken.

At any rate, I’m going to grab a few fairweather friends and see which one of us can hit a yak with a cow first. Cheers!

Dragonbrand