WvW Player Ranks and WvW Player Leader Boards.

in WvW

Posted by: Felgor.9341

Felgor.9341

A few suggestion our guild has towards WvW.

Our guild, a good 20+ members, are mostly pure PvP’ers. Pretty much all of us, played DAoC from the start. We are heavily focused on WvW. That being said, as of late, quite a few members have been losing interest in WvW. Its not that they don’t like it, or they aren’t enjoying themselves, its more due to not having a reason to log into WvW. I know, there is always “Server Pride”, but that can only carry people’s interest for so long.

We need something to attract us to log in everyday. Something to keep us wanting to WvW as much as possible. Some type of WvW character progression. Im not sure how hard it would be to add such a feature to the game, but something is needed.

Back in the DAoC days, we were anxious to log in to RvR. To get those RvR points that were needed to get that next Rank or to spend that next RvR Point on a Skill. These ranks werent easy to max out, they took an extremley long time to level which in my opinion is why it kept our interest peaked at all times. Every free moment i had, i wanted to log on, go out and RvR to earn those. In GW2, that feeling is lacking big time. If your sever so happens to be losing by a massive amount of points, what is the reason to go WvW?

Also, another thing i would love to see, is some type of WvW Player Leader Boards. I hate to keep going back to my DAoC days, but its the one game that kept me interested to the fullest. DAoC had The Camelot Herald. It keep track of GuiLd RvR stats, individual Player RvR and other stats.

If GW2 added some type of WvW Ranking, how hard would it be for ANet to add a trackijng system to the game, to allow us to see how our charatres are doing in WvW? I use to log onto that website daily just to see how i did the previous day, and to see how other were doing as well. It was something that encouraged me to log in, and RvR even more!

Im not sure how many others feel this way, but these ideas are something our guild have been talking about in teamspeak for the past few weeks or so, and some of those players that only log in once and awhile to WvW have even stated if those ideas were in game, it would encourage them to play the game alot more.

Would love to hear you guys/girls thoughts on this.

Felgor [GoTF]
Level 80 Asura Guardian
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Wildman.9641

Wildman.9641

NO. DAOC is that way—→ No need to bring that kitten stuff into this game.

in WvW

Felgor.9341

Kitten stuff? How are player ranks and leader boards kitten stuff?

Felgor [GoTF]
Level 80 Asura Guardian
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Sooo… if you going with zerg/roam party and constantly score kills/take objectives, you get new shiny ranks, and if you defend, run supply lines and basically grant your server points, you get almost nothing? Such nice idea here…

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in WvW

Posted by: Odaman.8359

Odaman.8359

I loved the leaderboards in daoc. No you don’t get shiny ranks for defending or running supplies. Is that really an issue? If it is you should be up in arms because your reward is nothing compared to kills/objectives. Otherwise you’re just trying to troll and should take it elsewhere.

Odaman 80 Mesmer
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

Sooo… if you going with zerg/roam party and constantly score kills/take objectives, you get new shiny ranks, and if you defend, run supply lines and basically grant your server points, you get almost nothing? Such nice idea here…

I am not sure how you drew this correlation, why does one preclude the other? Why can running supplies and defending not count, most of those things count for karma now, its not like the system would be re-invented.

While I am not sure ranks would work in this game, I fail to see why leaderboards can not be included and they can include anything measurable, lots of fun things you can do:

Most commanders killed
Most healing done
Most wall/door repair
Most supplies used
Most kills
Most damage taken
<insert more>

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: neverborne.4736

neverborne.4736

This absolutely needs to be implemented. There should be ladders for total kills, KvD ratio, points contributed (some sort of metric based on capturing points and defending them or maybe just Karma earned during WvW), and maybe an “overall” ladder which combines all three aspects into one ranking score.

Then you need to build it out further to include guilds. Total kills, avg kills per member, KvD average, and “overall” guild wvw score. (Try to build it with some sort of balance so that a guild with 50 extremely active hardcore wvw members doesn’t get completely shut out of the leaderboards by zerg guilds with 800 casual players).

These should be fairly easy to implement. Lots of this stuff is tracked already in the hero tab. Put the ladders on a website if they don’t fit into the UI easily. Make um filterable by class/server and you’ve got something for people to shoot for in WvW. You’ve got celebrity, you’ve got infamy, you’ve got a game that will last.

(edited by neverborne.4736)

in WvW

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

I loved the leaderboards in daoc. No you don’t get shiny ranks for defending or running supplies. Is that really an issue? If it is you should be up in arms because your reward is nothing compared to kills/objectives. Otherwise you’re just trying to troll and should take it elsewhere.

An issue is system that will be encouraging mindless “gogo take frags/capture objectives” instead of actual fight for server point leadership.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in WvW

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

Yeah because right now encouraging “Mindless Zerg” is a lot better.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

The OP has a point if you take a step back.

Asking for a web portal for everyone to see off the forum pages isn’t a bad thing. Said portal should include:

1. Server rankings (which they provide manually mind you already)
2. Top 25 kills by class
3. Top 25 kills by guild
4. Most keeps taken or defended by guild
5. Fun statistics like: Most killed, biggest / weakest hits, highest fall, fastest jump puzzle clear, etc

Point being is you don’t need to tie it to a skill earned or new object. You could tie it to a skill point I guess, but why bother. Sometimes talking trash or looking at how you stack against others is just a friendly game. Ladders don’t hurt.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in WvW

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Agree with this.

More data is good.

in WvW

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

It sounds like your guild is full of a lot of people that like to call themselves PvPers, but don’t actually like to PvP that much.

If they are not having fun in WvW, I doubt ‘leaderboards’ will make it more fun.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

in WvW

Posted by: Piola.3782

Piola.3782

Please… I want it!

[OSC] Nefed SFR Thief
[OSC] Roipnol SFR Mezmer
MesmerVideos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Piolair

in WvW

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

You can tell who the DAoC players were in this thread, lol!

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

in WvW

Posted by: Hypocracy.2301

Hypocracy.2301

The only stats that mattered on those boards were total solo kills.

in WvW

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

Anything like this is going to be really easy to exploit. SWTOR tried two implementations for rank in their game: objective based rank up, and then kill-based rank up. Both systems got exploited.

Objective based rank resulted in opposing factions trading captures of objectives.

Kill based ranks resulted in opposing groups getting together and trading kills, and farming alts (also spawn camping).

I’m not opposed to something like this if there’s no reward besides bragging rights. People will still exploit that, but at least it doesn’t put players that don’t at a tangible disadvantage.

Still though, I’m partly of the mind that the only reward for pvp should be victory. Putting in side incentives typically countermand that goal (remember dolyak farming).

in WvW

Felgor.9341

It sounds like your guild is full of a lot of people that like to call themselves PvPers, but don’t actually like to PvP that much.

If they are not having fun in WvW, I doubt ‘leaderboards’ will make it more fun.

Never once said we aren’t having fun, just some are simply losing interest in WvW. One thing about having a Leaderboard, for myself it kept me logging in daily trying to progess my stats.

Back to DAoC, if you took Realm Ranks out of the game, got rid of the Leaderboards which tracked so many PvP stats, you would have GW2 in the current state.

All i am saying, adding these things would make people want to WvW more. There would be more reasons to WvW.

Anything like this is going to be really easy to exploit. SWTOR tried two implementations for rank in their game: objective based rank up, and then kill-based rank up. Both systems got exploited.

Objective based rank resulted in opposing factions trading captures of objectives.

Kill based ranks resulted in opposing groups getting together and trading kills, and farming alts (also spawn camping).

I’m not opposed to something like this if there’s no reward besides bragging rights. People will still exploit that, but at least it doesn’t put players that don’t at a tangible disadvantage.

Still though, I’m partly of the mind that the only reward for pvp should be victory. Putting in side incentives typically countermand that goal (remember dolyak farming).

If its easy to exploit, how was it exploited in DAoC?

Felgor [GoTF]
Level 80 Asura Guardian
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

^ I didn’t play DAoC so I can’t tell you about it, maybe they had a system that was resistant to exploiting. If you’re familiar with it, was there any reason you couldn’t kill trade or farm alts for rank?

This also happened in SWG with the force ranking system back in the day (“fight clubbing”)

in WvW

Posted by: Tzash.5748

Tzash.5748

The thing about WvW is that it isn’t about the individual player.

As mentioned already, how do you reward the players that are focusing on team strategy such as holding vital objectives compared to the players that are just roaming around looking for easy kills? How do you count individual kills in a large scale fight?

The amount of damage (or healing) done in WvW is pretty much irrelevant, especially given the downed state mechanics. The most important person on the battlefield is the one giving the orders and they don’t need to be fighting to do that.

in WvW

Posted by: Balidore.2790

Balidore.2790

It’s not just DAoC, allot of games have it, and it’s awesome.

On the other hand… those boards get skewed so much, it’s silly to even look at. Like… “most kills” by, “some guy who only runs in the most massive zergs, and sits on siege all day.” lol. Kinda ruins the purpose :/

Balidor [Envy]
Mesmer/Thief
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: ImmortalZodd.6871

ImmortalZodd.6871

Anet has said they are making moves towards more WvW rewards, the quick turn around with removing orbs till they implement a new system. I imagine they are going to do some big things in WvW in the future, this includes leaderboards and extra rewards imo. i would love if they included more ranks besides peons and commanders as well for something to work for even if it was based on taking objectives or defending objectives rather than kills. right now i just get badges which are ok for buying siege or pow/vit/t healm/accessories and saving money but you can also get tons of free siege from jp so its kinda a stale reward. Doesn’t even get me excited to see drop i would rather have more silver from greens, sitting on like 300 badges with more siege than i care to throw down in a given week including superior arrow/balista because i have to many basic of those.

in WvW

Posted by: Ranc.7192

Ranc.7192

It’s not just DAoC, allot of games have it, and it’s awesome.

On the other hand… those boards get skewed so much, it’s silly to even look at. Like… “most kills” by, “some guy who only runs in the most massive zergs, and sits on siege all day.” lol. Kinda ruins the purpose :/

“He has more kills because he plays alot more then me”

“He has more kills because he runs in a big zerg”

“He has more kills because he sits on siege all day”

“He has more kills because he is in a big WvWvW guild.”

“He has more kills because he is a OP Thief”

“He has more kills because he spawn camps the JP”

You people will cry about anything

If they make leaderboards I can already see the tears

Rexir-80 Guardian
Guild- [EMP]
Server-Jade Quarry