WvW Politics Parallels

WvW Politics Parallels

in WvW

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Lemme first start off by saying I am a member of a WvW guild on the GoM server.

As I’ve been playing WvW for a little while now I’ve sorta noticed a lot of rifts between guilds, and the server. In a perfect world all of the guilds would work together to overcome the others, since it’s a server wide gametype, and not just guild vs guild. However that’s not the case, and I’m sure it’s absolutely nothing new.

The way this parallels real world politics though is what got me. It’s as if the server itself, is for example, a state, or province. Each guild is like a political party(republicans, democrats in the USA, NDP,Liberal, and PC in Canada). Instead of all joining up, tagging up for everybody on the server to split up into groups, the guilds quietly do their own thing, sort of like political parties do. As a result the servers aren’t doing as well as it could.

I always have somebody to run with in WvW so I’m not salty, this is just an observation. There are a lot of ‘unattached’ people in WvW, those who dont join one of the big guilds(For whatever reason, the pressure, having to go in TS 24/7 so they aren’t kicked). So when there is no commander, and guilds only wanna keep to themselves the unattached people end up going back to PvE because they feel like they themselves doing things doesn’t make a difference(as it doesnt, in the grand scheme of things).

A lot of the guilds feel this way too, but of course if they say something theyre shunned by their peers(the other guilds) so they have to sit on their hands and pretend theyre happy about it. I’ve had a few of the commanders in whisper saying how they would like to change the ways but there’s just ‘no way to do it without rocking the boat’.

This isnt a plea, or anything new. It’s World vs World though, not Guild vs World.

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

WvW Politics Parallels

in WvW

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

LOL

It’s called human nature – we naturally form groups/cliques and attempt to differentiate between each other thus leading to exclusion

Going for PPT is useless don’t frustrate yourself play for fights/fun

WvW Politics Parallels

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

I’ve noticed this on lower tier servers. It’s actually what makes me enjoy them more than T1 at times (T1 gets pretty stressful at times). Most guilds will let you run with them as long as you know what you’re doing. My alt account is on CD at the moment and watching guilds do their own thing is pretty cool. I wish T1 had more guilds willing to do that

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

WvW Politics Parallels

in WvW

Posted by: Grav.3568

Grav.3568

I think it’s important for every guild to be having fun in their own way.

During 2012-13, my server used to try really hard to assign different guilds to different roles to ensure that everything was covered. “X will be on this BL, Y will be on this BL, Z will be in EBG” etc. The problem was that since every guild is different, not every guild would be happy with where they might end up being assigned, and that would breed resentment.

In 2014 it became a lot more casual as many guilds transferred away. In time new guilds emerged, again each with their own preferred playstyles. But as a server, we don’t try to organise ourselves so much anymore. We have skilled small roaming guilds, we have EBG guilds, we have home BL defenders, and we have larger guilds who love their zerg fights. Each is already good at what they do, so we no longer saw any need as a server to try and change that. Consequently, everyone is as happy as they’ve ever been, doing what they enjoy most.

More recently, some of us are actually learning to communicate with each other for a greater good. If I’m at home and see a large enemy zerg approaching a keep, I know who to whisper to get another guild of our own to come help defend. They’re happy to come when called since they get the big zerg fights they love, and I’m happy with the end result that the keep is saved; it’s a win-win.

The moral of the story is that for the sake of long-term server unity, some people just need to get over themselves, accept that everyone is different and let everyone play the way they want to.

(edited by Grav.3568)

WvW Politics Parallels

in WvW

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

LOL

It’s called human nature – we naturally form groups/cliques and attempt to differentiate between each other thus leading to exclusion

Going for PPT is useless don’t frustrate yourself play for fights/fun

I think you missed the point. Human nature does not mean not being able to work together, which is what this thread seems to be getting at. Of course there will be different roles, but so many in wvw are disconnected whether they want to or not and that hurts the server in the end.

WvW Politics Parallels

in WvW

Posted by: rashkin.9530

rashkin.9530

Guilds and guild members need to be able to do guild activities together so they can actually identify as being a guild entity. A bunch of like minded people working towards a goal the point if being in a guild in the first place. If anyone can join in any time there what good does being in a guild do? It is just x random people all with their own agendas with the sole purpose of personal gain.

If you want follow a guild casually then ask them. If you want interaction with a guild then start a dialogue. If they want to do their own thing as a guild then they have zero obligation otherwise.