WvW Poll 14 June: Desert Borderlands (Closed)

in WvW

Posted by: Grant Gertz

Grant Gertz

Producer: WvW, PvP, and Fractals

Next

A message from the WvW Team,
The next WvW Poll is up!
https://feedback.guildwars2.com
Please share your thoughts and feedback on the poll in this thread!

in WvW

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I think the desert borderland should stay. In general, I think having diversity in the borderlands is a great thing, and DBL have had a lot of work invested in it which would be a waste to just throw away. On top of that, I think they looked great and some of the mechanics were positive.

I am not a hardcore WvW player, so my opinion may not be representative, but I feel that the main complaint was that the map was too large and with too much empty space (especially in the middle after removal of the event). This is probably not trivial to fix since it affects the whole design, but if this could be reduced, I think that the map would be acceptable.

Also, the verticality feels a bit gimmicky and more annoying than constructive. If gliding was allowed (I don’t advocate for it, I really don’t know what effect it would have), this verticality could be justified and it may create interesting game play (especially if we intend to have different BL, even if the previous poll was against it). But as it is, it feels more like “we could do it so we did it” kind of thing.

Finally, if DBL was improved, I think the overall opinion about having different BL active at the same time may change. I suspect many voted no simply because they didn’t want DBL.

in WvW

Posted by: TheAndoman.9317

TheAndoman.9317

I prefer the desert borderlands because of their size. The Alpine borderland feels/is so much smaller that it’s almost claustrophobia inducing. DBL makes blobbing much less effective.

I am holding out hopes that you develop a third borderland so that each team is defending a different borderland. An Amazon-like setting with a large river running through it would be pretty nice.

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

That kittening horrible map is going to survive for the sole reason that so many people have been fear mongering that voting for it’s removal will mean anet won’t develop new maps.
Just implement 1 dbl, 2abl’s and be done with it. Don’t set some ridiculous 75% threshold. You know if you bring back dbl for 3 months you will fully kill WvW, don’t be kittening stupid for once.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Considering that there have now been two sets of changes (with the most recent patch, as well as the patch that took the map out) to the desert borderlands that none of us has had the chance to play yet. I can’t in good conscience support removing this map entirely.

As such I will vote no on this poll and go for compromise once they poll again about mixed borderlands, to me this seems like the best of both worlds plus we have never experienced that level of map asymmetry and as such I believe it to be worth a shot.

Plus, when has ArenaNet ever gotten something right from the start… okay, maybe that is saying a bit too much, however, they claim to be an iterative company and so far their track record does support this claim, so I am opting to vote to give them the chance to iterate and learn from their mistakes. In the ideal world this will result in multiple good maps in the long run even if it may take a while.

(edited by Crise.9401)

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

I don’t understand you people. Desert Borderlands danm near killed WvW and so many of you are voting to keep it in. Seems like people have really short term memories or something.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Merlinus.1765

Merlinus.1765

I don’t understand you people. Desert Borderlands danm near killed WvW and so many of you are voting to keep it in. Seems like people have really short term memories or something.

You are absolutely correct. Alpine borderlands and map queue fixes are the two imminent and major fixes for WvW at the moment. It’s appalling how many people are voting to keep desert borderlands, especially since they nearly killed WvW altogether. What’s more disconcerting is that non-WvW players are looking at this poll without any regard to the population that actually enjoys this gameplay, and are none-the-wiser as to how it nearly wrecked the mechanic.

VOTE ALPINE TODAY! ALPINE ALL THE WAY!

Necromancer love: because you can’t spell
“necromancer” without “romance.”
NSP | Os Senior Officer | www.osguild.org

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

You are absolutely correct. Alpine borderlands and map queue fixes are the two imminent and major fixes for WvW at the moment. It’s appalling how many people are voting to keep desert borderlands, especially since they nearly killed WvW altogether. What’s more disconcerting is that non-WvW players are looking at this poll without any regard to the population that actually enjoys this gameplay, and are none-the-wiser as to how it nearly wrecked the mechanic.

VOTE ALPINE TODAY! ALPINE ALL THE WAY!

except people were leaving way before HoT came into the picture.. people are still leaving with alpines in place. keep telling yourselves that the maps are the reason why players keep leaving wvw. unless you are on your overstacked t1 server, queues are not massive like they were when we first got reward tracks. the problem is in tiers you have servers that queue a map vs server that have the outnumbered in the same match up. that right there is what is causing players to leave. until that is sorted out somehow no matter what maps are here it will continue to lose more and more players.

anyway golem week killed wvw.. never forget wvw pre-golem week

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Posted by: abasedfear.6051

abasedfear.6051

I enjoyed the sights of the Desert Borderlands, and considered them to be a welcome challenge, though I also appreciate the removal of the barricades. Also, “straightening the curves” was very helpful, but I’ll tell everyone here what I tell my friends and guildmates of the DBLs: Its the sheer size of the map that turns people away. It’s not just big; it’s too big! A DBL is even bigger than EBG, but has only as many points to take as an Alpine. It takes too long to move across it and there’s this huge chasm of an oasis in the middle that sees no use and takes forever to go around – even when Skysplitter was running, the Oasis was too layered to traverse quickly.

I understand the original purpose of a larger map with the same number of points to defend: Since people would be forced to run farther to defend, zergs may have been forced to leave more defenders or break the zergs into multiple groups to operate within the same map. It didn’t quite work out. Instead, large areas of the map would not change hands for hours, only for the lack of trying. A large zerg would occasionally take to the map and run a circle around it. It perhaps would sit that way for an hour or so before a commander would notice it and would go and flip it back, usually never running into a decent defense – maybe someone on an arrow cart for a couple minutes before abandonment. For the most part, servers stacked the EBG queues, while the DBLs sat vacant.

To be an effective map, it should be expansive. We are talking about a desert, after all. It should not be so large that a large-scale defense would be difficult without waypoints – even given good advance notice from scouts. A map size that is between the current DBL and ABL would be a good size for borderland maps, as many say that the Alpines are too small, though many also believe that the Deserts are too large. Any map size that approaches – I’d say 90% or greater size – or even exceeds the size of Eternal Battlegrounds is too large. Also, the keeps; the DBL keeps are nearly SMC-sized and they’re infernal mazes, to boot. I’m all for variety, but it’s easy to get lost in those things.

(edited by abasedfear.6051)

in WvW

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

I’m pretty much laughing at the poll results at this moment, removal might not even get a majority. forget a supermajority.

My personal feelings towards this matter is I love variety. I don’t want to play the same boring BL over and over. So I voted to keep DBL. Hopefully in 2-3 years down the line A net will build some more WvW maps and we can revisit removal of the weakest BL map then.

But Honestly WvW got stale and it needs variety in maps and in matchups.

Moving re linking time to 2 months to 3 was a step in the right direction and keeping map variety is also. A Net has been shown to be a company that takes change to heart and while DBL isn’t perfect we can continue to work on and fix it.

Honestly ABL isn’t perfect either, its blobby and small. DBL may have gone to far in the other direction and it has its own problems but it solved some of the problems on ABL. Mixing the maps up will let players play on the map they want to ( that last part is assuming we run mixed BL instead of rotating)

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Very happy that people aren’t voting to delete the DBL. You might not like it, sure, but other people do, and whether DBL is voted to stick around has an impact on future development.

Looking forward to 1DBL:2ABL. I think, judging from the last poll, the next poll will make it a very clear winner.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

Unreal.
DBL basically killed wvw… people finally started coming back… and now this…
I simply cannot understand why people are still voting in for them… they are beyond AWFUL.

Just wait until they rotate the DBLs back and see wvw population drop, then the same people that voted for DBL will start asking what happened and blaming anet.

GG.
You tried Anet, thank you.
But now I see this game mode deserves to die.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I don’t like the DBL but I voted to keep it. Too much dislike of the DBL is people parroting and pitchfork mobbing and I will not partake in that. If that means cutting off my nose to spite my face so be it.

in WvW

Posted by: Calendra.9074

Calendra.9074

Desert map have some problems can be fixed, like north strategically useless towers, but removing the map will not improve the wvw. It only needs some fixing.
DBL didn’t killed wvw, Hot killed wvw for a while because masteries and GH upgardes, this was the reason wvw was dead for weeks.
The game needs to evolve to keep old players and make new ones to play it, keeping same old maps for years will kill it for sure.
Just because some players can’t adapt to new, doesn’t mean removing its the best thing.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Desert map have some problems can be fixed, like north strategically useless towers, but removing the map will not improve the wvw. It only needs some fixing.

North towers actually kinda interesting and I don’t know if I’d want them to be strategically attached to the keep. That’s an interesting element of ABL sure but DBL north towers are actually realistically upgradeable for attacking servers because you aren’t dependent exclusively on north camp to supply them.

Could something be done with the towers, since they generally have little impact on the strategic situation on the map? Sure. But idk if I’d want it to have the same interactions/layout as ABL. The north end of the map having a very different layout from ABL is part of that.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Crise.9401

Just wait until they rotate the DBLs back and see wvw population drop, then the same people that voted for DBL will start asking what happened and blaming anet.

Except that the rotation strategy might get axed by the next poll in favor of having both maps in play at the same time. Whatever happens, happens… either way the poll results are about what I would have expected. The echo chamber effect when it comes to DBL hate is real, whereas with this poll people can vote anonymously. They can also vote banking on the next poll reaching mixed borderlands.

At the end of the day, some people are voting based on potential, not just based on immediate impact. Is it a gamble, obviously… but there are people that are simply tired of the WvW “meta” and want a change.

(edited by Crise.9401)

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Can we have a vote to remove alpine? I’m really sick of making jumps that look survivable only to wind up dead. Desert doesn’t have this issue, it’s really obvious if you’re going to die from a fall or not. Alpine? Not so much.

Failing that, mixed borderlands are much better than having to deal with alpine. I can choose to play on a fun borderland map.

in WvW

Posted by: Noblehawk.8036

Noblehawk.8036

I bet that most people who actually already left the game (like me) won’t come here to vote on this poll like I did… If I had not stumbled to this forum mostly accidentally to check whats going on couple weeks ago, I wouldn’t even know there was going to be a vote.

However as I’ve mentioned before – desert map and certain other hot updates like automatic upgrades and guild buff nerfs were the reason I bailed from the game. Seeing the current result makes me sad panda, but then again – there are other games to play. Wish u people all the best. Obviously Anet can’t please everyone.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Until we have the vote deciding how a possible implementation look like – since the vote where 70% in favor of mixed borders was disapproved by Anet – I stick by my statement:

I will vote for the border to be removed period, anything else is too risky for the overall wellbeing of the community.

Imagine if we have this vote, decide to keep desert. And then they make another kittened beyond belief poll with confused wording and the majority of the community once again get steamrolled by the minority on a default ruling? No. Just no.

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

DBL as it was was terrible for WvW yes. DBL as it was just before going back to Alpine was pretty good. Much easier to get around. They really should get rid of the garbage in the middle of the map so we can have a open fighting ground though. Not that people really fight in the open much. Most of the fight we have been encountering lately involve people on the other servers running the other way on an open field, but fighting from behind a wall, or when they are pretty sure they have bigger numbers. (Not kidding about this!). From what I can see Alpine is slowly becoming the “desert” land it was before HoT came out… it’s so much easier to roam around now since many people seem to have dropped back out of WvW.

HoT “killed” a lot of WvW due to the way the Guild Halls were linked to everything and people literally had to leave WvW to do a huge amount of farming etc just to get their halls upgraded to be useful for WvW claiming etc. The original DBL layout didn’t help either. But the way it’s laid out now is much better. Considering the fact that except for in EB (and even then people hide in keeps and towers still), people don’t really fight in the so called open fields of the Alpine BL’s I don’t see what all the whining is about against the DBL’s. They truly aren’t that bad. Most people still just go to EB unless they want to come back and defend something on their BL, otherwise the Alpine maps are not super populated a lot of the time.

Go DBL!

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Bury Your Deadgreen.2368

Bury Your Deadgreen.2368

DBL it is I guess! Finally have the motivation to go play another game

Soon…..

in WvW

Posted by: viquing.8254

viquing.8254

Just for people who dispense all their rage on dbl and said we have bad memories etc :

- WvW was dying before HoT. (hint about bad memories.)
Maybe you were on a top tiers server and didn’t see anything but for many server it was dying.
- DBL have issues but it wasn’t only this map who speed up the WvW desertification.
(new mechanic, guild hall, hot spec, etc have a big impact, probably much more important than juste the map.)

Diversity is a must.

(edited by viquing.8254)

in WvW

Posted by: Sekkerhund.3790

Sekkerhund.3790

A message from the WvW Team,
The next WvW Poll is up!
https://feedback.guildwars2.com
Please share your thoughts and feedback on the poll in this thread!

Thank you for posting these polls, especially about the Desert Maps. I’ve seen so many developers rely on forum feedback, when the “vocal group” is actually the minority who organize a posting blitz for changes that they want, but not necessarily what the actual majority of the player-base wants, especially those of us who don’t visit the official forums very often.

I rarely use any official gaming forums, mostly because I know how feedback from them actually works (for a lot of companies) and because I usually want to ‘Jay and Silent Bob’ several posters, after reading a few threads.

So thank you for offering these polls and sending out the in-game email notifications, especially targeting just those who participate in WvW, by making the mail trigger after completing a WvW task.

I hope that other developers will take example and offer polls in a similar manner.

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

A variety in battlefields is needed to combat staleness. Prior to HoT IMO staleness claimed more people then other factors in the game mode, or at least as voiced by people that I encountered leaving the game. There will always be a natural decline in player base as new games are developed and released but GW2 model of pay-once to play allows people to return as they like. If people return and they hear nothing has changed though then their return might be brief as they encounter “been there done that” syndrome. Having mixed borderlands also allows infrastructure to allow for future maps as players adapt to different maps and strategies.

All that said I do hope this is also enough that ANet is also working on additional maps as we speak so even more options are open for people to play on.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in WvW

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

People voting for DBL better show their kittening butts and not queue EB when Anet will switch to these BLs .

VoxL, NSPPT

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Hmmm.. vote to keep desert to listen to more delicious qq.
Or vote to remove it, so I can screw over the 5% that didn’t want to vote for the 2/1 bl option in the last poll.

Decisions decisions…

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Crise.9401

People voting for DBL better show their kittening butts and not queue EB when Anet will switch to these BLs .

People will queue for maps that have people on them… sadly in that sense the WvW gameplay is to a degree mandated by a minority. I mean there are plenty of WvW players who I’d wager want little more than follow that familiar blue pip (well it can be other colors now too, but you get my point).

So, outside of roamers, really what determines the outcome of DBL population is if there is a degree of people that will play on them in order to draw other people in… once that has happened over time the play style of the people who are willing to play that map will change to be more suited for that map and as such the way the game is played will change (in theory).

The way I see it, it is simply that the people who play WvW are extremely averse to change and as a result slow or unwilling to adapt. Yes, the DBL map itself has issues, but to a degree unless the playerbase is willing to adapt any map that is actually different in some way besides cosmetics will get the same cold reception DBL’s did.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

101% agreed. I hate it when people wax all poetic about something and it turns out they play on it once a month.

I am willing to make that sacrifice if it means other people are around to share the misery experience.

I mean for what it’s worth, people said they would come back to Alpine, and they did come back to Alpine.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

101% agreed. I hate it when people wax all poetic about something and it turns out they play on it once a month.

I am willing to make that sacrifice if it means other people are around to share the misery experience.

I mean for what it’s worth, people said they would come back to Alpine, and they did come back to Alpine.

This is the main problem with that argument. Stability changes, reward tracks, linking etc.. all occurred about the same time. How can one say ABL brought people back when other changes were also in play at the same time? For sure SOME came back primarily due to ABL, but we just don’t know how many. I also use the same argument with DBL killing WVW. There were so many HOT changes all at the same time it is hard to say DBL killed WVW versus pve for elites GHs tactivators etc…

What is apparent is that those that absolutely hate the DBLS have no where near the people that agree with them as they thought they did…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Alahmnat.7398

Alahmnat.7398

The only reason I played WvW in the past was for map completion (when it was still required) and to grind up to rank 14 for a gift of battle. Half of my GoB grind was done on DBL, and I enjoyed it a LOT more than all of the time I’ve ever spent on ABL. If ANet is going to force me to grind a WvW reward track now to get the gifts of battle I need for the legendaries I’m working on, I’d much rather play on the map I enjoyed.

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

DBL is a far superior map to ABL, it just encourages a different playstyle which is why the proponents of blob wars hate it so much. I’m just glad that ANet made the right choice and required a 75% vote to remove DBL instead of a 75% vote to keep it.

in WvW

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Blobs means players!!! Have fun with your Deserted BL.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

in WvW

Posted by: Urdfexe.9147

Urdfexe.9147

In my opinion it was not the return of alpine borderlands that saved WvW but the introduction of WvW reward tracks.

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Desert bl needs a fair amount of work done to it, but I don’t think it should be scrapped. Also, I think that they should develop a third bl so that we can get rid of clone maps in WvW. There does need to be some serious balance done to these maps though. The center of bl maps are basically pointless, borderland bloodlust is bad, oasis meta is bad, desert bl and alpine bl are not balanced enough for them to appear side by side yet, and even ebg is biased towards green imo.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

In my opinion it was not the return of alpine borderlands that saved WvW but the introduction of WvW reward tracks.

Since when was WvW “saved”, WvW is deader than ever, especially outside primetime.

The maps are really neither here nor there, same for reward track, they’ve done nothing to address the real issues with the game mode, and then on top of that you have that the powercreep since HoT (and the change to 3 full traitlines) has made combat in WvW (and PvP) hit an all time low.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in WvW

Posted by: wwDefuser.2056

wwDefuser.2056

The last map update of DBL was quiet good.
But it is still very different to alpine Borderlands regarding Lord-fights and castle building.
I think thats the main issue why people dont like DBL.

Those pillars attacking you and lords that fence people are no famous features. Aswell those absurd vertical height in terrain.

in WvW

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

This is the main problem with that argument. Stability changes, reward tracks, linking etc.. all occurred about the same time. How can one say ABL brought people back when other changes were also in play at the same time? For sure SOME came back primarily due to ABL, but we just don’t know how many. I also use the same argument with DBL killing WVW. There were so many HOT changes all at the same time it is hard to say DBL killed WVW versus pve for elites GHs tactivators etc…

What is apparent is that those that absolutely hate the DBLS have no where near the people that agree with them as they thought they did…..

Completely agree.

What really killed wvw for me was golem week. After that I hardly saw any motivation to play the mode again besides the gvg guild. After the release of HoT, all the guild changes, taking away what I have unlocked by myself or with a friend so we, as small skirmish or solo/duo roamers, could use to claim objectives in wvw; the overpowered elite specs, the automatic upgrades; gimmicks of DBBL; the continue of pirateship meta and still, the servers imbalances, finally made me quit wvw after 3 years. Perhaps I wouldn’t have quit if wasn’t so dissatisfied after golem week.

I’ve returned on the Alpine patch, however, the map wasn’t exactly the reason why I did. Was a combination of changes and fixes made by Anet that made me curious enough to venture wvw once again.

Desert borderland isn’t too bad and I don’t think they should scrap it. However, I do think they need to keep working on it, making more user friendly, remove all the rest of the gimmicks like the temples, stealth, cannons etc, do something about north towers to make them more strategic.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

(edited by azyume.6321)

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I am not a hardcore WvW player, so my opinion may not be representative

I’m glad you pointed this out. That’s the issue with this is that anyone can vote. So a player that doesn’t even WvW at all or maybe WvW’s a couple hours a week get’s to force those of us that WvW 30+ hours a week to play the DBL. In small doses maybe that map is ok but, after many hours it sucks the life out of you. Now winning is going to be about who can endure that map the longest.

For having variety, functionally dissimilar maps are simply going to wreck match balancing. Again, if you don’t care about such things as winning each week, I can see why a player wouldn’t care about having balance.

Might as well remove the score….

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Desert borderland isn’t too bad and I don’t think they should scrap it. However, I do think they need to keep working on it, making more user friendly, remove all the rest of the gimmicks like the temples, stealth, cannons etc, do something about north towers to make them more strategic.

But, you are voting on keeping it as it is with no alterations!!!!!! The Dev’s have not said anything about altering DBL as you describe. Maybe there should be a poll and not let DBL return until it’s alterations are approved within a public test server.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Crise.9401

But, you are voting on keeping it as it is with no alterations!!!!!! The Dev’s have not said anything about altering DBL as you describe. Maybe there should be a poll and not let DBL return until it’s alterations are approved within a public test server.

Correction, there has been two sets of functional changes and/or fixes since the map itself was rotated out that nobody has had a chance to play yet. So in fact it is already coming back with alterations.

As for a public test server, it is quite obviously never going to happen on a scale that would actually be adequate for testing real WvW. The only times they have spun up public test servers for WvW that has been a real hassle and if memory serves only from one of the two data centers. The only way WvW, and maps specifically, seem to be able to get realistic testing done involves them throwing raw changes on to live and quite literally forcing everyone to play them.

This is evident from the past when it comes to any kind of public testing they have done that is WvW related.

in WvW

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

Not really, they already said will keep improving the border, as you can see on this week patch. What I described it is my personal opinion of what I think would be better from a roamer point of view. If that’s what the majority would want, I have no idea. However, indeed the devs should use the various threads with suggestions and make a pool about what are the most desired alterations players would want in both maps, not only desert borderland.

On the other hand, for the previous pool, I voted for 2ABL and 1 DLBL. That’s the best compromise it can be done between the two borderlands.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

TheGrimm.5624

For having variety, functionally dissimilar maps are simply going to wreck match balancing. Again, if you don’t care about such things as winning each week, I can see why a player wouldn’t care about having balance.

Been giving this one some thought. Considering population imbalances, time zone imbalances, guild server hopping, having map differences is the least of the issues. Unless they mix everyone into green/blue/red we will never be balanced in the other areas so this doesn’t really create that much additional issue. I think that’s why more people are agreeing with the idea of 4 unique maps versus 3 copies of just 1 of a type.

in WvW

TheGrimm.5624

As for a public test server, it is quite obviously never going to happen on a scale that would actually be adequate for testing real WvW. The only times they have spun up public test servers for WvW that has been a real hassle and if memory serves only from one of the two data centers. The only way WvW, and maps specifically, seem to be able to get realistic testing done involves them throwing raw changes on to live and quite literally forcing everyone to play them.

This is evident from the past when it comes to any kind of public testing they have done that is WvW related.

You hit this one on the head. You have to test changes in a production environment and have it score else people will not test and you end up with players complaining no testing was done or its tested by a small group that doesn’t reflect varying opinions.

in WvW

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I am not a hardcore WvW player, so my opinion may not be representative

I’m glad you pointed this out. That’s the issue with this is that anyone can vote. So a player that doesn’t even WvW at all or maybe WvW’s a couple hours a week get’s to force those of us that WvW 30+ hours a week to play the DBL. In small doses maybe that map is ok but, after many hours it sucks the life out of you. Now winning is going to be about who can endure that map the longest.

That’s not true for everyone. I played WvW more when we had DBL, and only since ABL has returned have I dropped down to playing a few hours a week. EBG gets dull over time due to just the repetition of always having the same map. But DBL was a map I could play on for hours. ABL on the other hand is a map that makes me want to logoff just on my way out of the garrison on your home map. That map gives me absolutely zero incentive to play WvW, and there are other players that share this opinion of ABL

in WvW

Posted by: Thustlewhumber.7416

Thustlewhumber.7416

Alpine maps are smaller, which encourages more fights. They are also easier to “understand”, which also encourages more fights. I honestly really think that a lot of time and effort went into the Deserts, but the maps were just too large and confusing for significant gameplay.

With that being said, I feel the Deserts should continue to be in rotation just to change it up a bit.

WvW Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Foghladha.2506

Foghladha.2506

Fact: Some people like to zerg and have massive zerg v zerg fights on a smaller map
Fact: Some people like to out maneuver their opponent, move unseen, and fight in smaller groups.

There needs to be a compromise for both styles of players. Both borderlands bring joy to the table for different people. Why prevent people from enjoying the game by limiting it to one.

We previously voted on what map rotation we’d want and most of us said 2 Alpine 1 Desert. What’s wrong with that concept? Everyone wins.

Benjamin “Foghladha.2506” Foley
Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

While I do not personally like the Dessert Borderlands, I also do not like how small the Alpine Borderlands felt.

I do feel size wise, the DBL should be scaled down a bit, and/or removal of some of the Vertical sizing. However I do not feel it should be made as small as what the Alpine borderlands were.

Though I also feel if the DBL stays, that there should be major changes done, as most now go to EBG and have after HoT.

Before HoT EBG was the “red headed stepchild” per say of the maps for WvW, and it was mainly focused on during the weekends, and left alone more during the week. (Weekends more players were on to play the BL’s and EBG.)

After HoT EBG became the most played map for a long time, and the BL’s became the “red headed step child” per say.

I just think with HoT much was ignored on feedback from those who tested it for WvW and it tanked. Though WvW was great at GW2 launch, the majority of things which have been suggested were ignored and the main focus was SPVP/PVE, which caused a large decline in players for WVW. (Who have for the most part moved on to other games in general.)

I will say I am interested to see what happens with ANet and WvW because WvW was what drew me to GW2.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Excimer.3987

Excimer.3987

DBLs would require massive rework to fix many issues with the map, such as inconsequential towers or shrine gimmicks influencing fights. My biggest gripe with with them however, is that many of this problems were already highlighted in the beta test forum: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/wuvtest

in WvW

Posted by: Knob.6835

Knob.6835

I believe with the new/ old waypoint system the DBLs will be much better.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

We previously voted on what map rotation we’d want and most of us said 2 Alpine 1 Desert. What’s wrong with that concept? Everyone wins.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. But Anet said nope, 70% is not a sufficient majority. The 30% wins by default ruling.

Either way, this poll is pretty much done for already. With the current trend there is absolutely no way for the removal of desert to reach the required 75%. Hence, we gonna get it. I dread the next poll on its implementation as the oucome will be decided by what Anets decide is the default ruling and how many options are available. If its 3 months of only desert again… GG community. GG.