WvW Server Ranking system

in WvW

Posted by: BlackRabbit.1259

BlackRabbit.1259

Q:

Does anyone know how the pseudo “ELO” ranking works? i.e as a keen desolation EU player hoping to break into Tier 1. What will get us that 100 extra points?

in WvW

Posted by: RiversOnFire.3607

RiversOnFire.3607

its pointless dude, u just need to go to other forums and call for free transfer, next week, u in tier 1

in WvW

Posted by: BlackRabbit.1259

BlackRabbit.1259

Some of us have been on the same server since launch, but yes. that is probably more luck than judgement, however for a minute i’m pretending that free transfers hasn’t kittened up the rankings.

suspend belief and try to stay OT please

in WvW

Posted by: Knasher.5607

Knasher.5607

Afaik they use a modified version of the ELO algorithm called Glicko. I don’t really understand it to be honest, but as far as I know it isn’t possible for us to move up to tier 1 this week (unless Arborstone really start dominating tier 1) . On top of that even if Kodash beat FS and come second, they will still be kicked down into tier 3 because at the end of this week blacktide will still have more points than them.

in WvW

Posted by: ako.8973

ako.8973

Assume the shards are sA, sB, and sC. In order to handle a 3 way battle we treat each match as having two battles for each shard. So when calculating the new rating for sA the two battles are sA vs. sB and sA vs. sC. Likewise for sB and sC. Naturally, we do all the calculations before updating any of the data.

We use a Tau of 0.6 and a k of 1.0

In standard Glicko 2 scores are represented as 0.0 for a loss, 0.5 for a draw, and 1.0 for a win. We use a slightly modified version that takes into account score differential. I’ll explain how using the sA vs. sB battle as an example. To calculate the glicko score for sA in the sA vs. sB matchup we do the following:

sAPercent = sAScore / (sAScore + sBScore)
sAGlickoScore = (sin((sAPercent – 0.5) * Pi) + 1) * 0.5

where sAScore and sBScore are the raw scores from the end of the match.

Shamelessly copy/pasted from here

Big Picture
Desolation ~ Just the [Tip]

in WvW

Posted by: Abapolo.4179

Abapolo.4179

too much calculation for a simple game ranking system.

the ranking system should, at least, be able to move recent strong wvw servers up in the rank faster. servers like desolation will keep crushing their opponents until they reach tier 1 to get an equal wvw match.

last week eredon terrace lost the wvw badly. it was 3rd. this week it will be 3rd again. just because they’v won some wvw’s doesn’t means they’re still tier 2.

in WvW

Posted by: Knasher.5607

Knasher.5607

I’d imagine the reason they do it this way is because some servers, especially the language specific ones, could have a very strong week during a public holiday (German especially seeing as the players are spread across a very small number of countries), which might not effect their performance in any future matches. It is a system which compensates for large temporary changes but it doesn’t work well for large long lasting changes like a large part of your player base leaving.

in WvW

Posted by: Radiodread.8469

Radiodread.8469

It seems to be impossible for you to break into T1 this week. Crush T2 next week and hope for one of the T1 teams to lose by a good margin.

Radiodread, Guardian [Os] NSP
AKA: Darkshines, Schroedingers Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Abapolo.4179

Abapolo.4179

@Knasher:
that’s what happens when you only use 1 number (1 dimension) to base your conclusions on.
if they were using about 3 simple calculations to indicate the server strength, things could be smoother.

just take a look at http://mos.millenium.org/matchups/#EU (copy and paste if it doesn’t work) and try to guess which servers should be matched and why. you can create a algorithm for that.

in WvW

Posted by: Radiodread.8469

Radiodread.8469

The problem here, as with almost every WvW issue, lies with free xfers. The ratings system is not designed to be reactive to mass exoduses of player bases.

Radiodread, Guardian [Os] NSP
AKA: Darkshines, Schroedingers Mesmer