WvW Servers seem to need upgrading

in WvW

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

My skills are locked during zerg fights

sometimes i either get 5000 Ping
or i have regular Ping but my skills are locked

and its not my internet because my network speeds have been fine when i ran them tests during the lag moments

in WvW

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Zerg fights. EB is the best map for zerg fights and the worst map for lag because of it. Its a hardware issue that is common for the largest zerg fights in wvw. It mostly happens in 3 way EB fights. Still it a rarity for those kind of fights to happen. Its a known issue that been in wvw for as long as I can remember.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i bet they are running on VMs with minimun number of vCPU and vRAM that run on obsolete hypervisor hosts…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

i bet they are running on VMs with minimun number of vCPU and vRAM that run on obsolete hypervisor hosts…

Don’t forget the guinea pigs needed to produce power for those VMs etc.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

have to pound on my keys, over and over, everynight in smc now just to get them to register. ridiculous. Literally as you walk through outer…..it starts…..then you move through inner and ur in the thick of the problem.

they dont have a way to que up commands (can que one future skill max but only DEPENDING on what the previous skill is….just stupid)….so everyhting just erases itself. its like in many fps games where they erase ur bullets as soon as you die….its just a horrible system.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

If you ever played a Turbine game, you can make this GW2 lag your kitten.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

I will pay $50 for WvW Server Expansion.

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

People seriously need to do research on this before posting about it.

It’s not servers lacking speed that’s the issue; it’s profession design and the huge amount of proc effects, boons, and conditions which all need to be calculated, ticked, and updated/kept track of all firing off as interrupts half the time. ANet has come out and said this… more than once.

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

This is why I do not go to EB any longer. The laag is just horrible. I know it is not my internet as I play on a T1 line. Also I have a brand new PC that can run any other game out there. So until Anet updates their servers EB is out for me.

in WvW

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

It’s not servers lacking speed that’s the issue; it’s profession design and the huge amount of proc effects, boons, and conditions which all need to be calculated, ticked, and updated/kept track of all firing off as interrupts half the time. ANet has come out and said this… more than once.

So we should stop playing WvW ?

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

this a thing that always got me pondering, game cant handle with it, yet ANet adds more stuff to make it to get harder to fix lag issues…. due its pve aoe spam flavoured gameplay/class design.

All the FX that clients will have to process, and all the boon hate condi aoe procs and removals servers will have to do… :\
And now adding more barrier calcs since barrier will reduce damage as well….

EDIT: i sense im gona get temp banned like last time i talked about this…..pfft

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

Yes we all know why the game is tolling the hardware so much. But if you find the bottleneck and give the machine more of what it needs for the task at hand, then you extend the threshold. Machine is lagging because a resource is running low? Allocate more. But we have no idea how these servers are established or what they are running and it’s not something they would tell us.

It is up to them to solve the problem how they see fit, but it would be nice if something was done after all this time.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

I think is the connection itself, the lag occur during large fights but not during travels. So the sudden spike in bandwidth might be the cause. I think they are using blade servers.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: CrashTheGrey.1492

CrashTheGrey.1492

Seems absolutely terrible lately, never have really had too many issues before but in recent weeks theres some horrendous skill delay anytime a decent sized zerg is present.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I think is the connection itself, the lag occur during large fights but not during travels. So the sudden spike in bandwidth might be the cause. I think they are using blade servers.

usually i get an allert while traveling as in “ur gona get wrecked if u dont port back”
the stacked server just passing by will cause a bit of FPS drop (must be client reendering and aquiring data from servers)

stacked server spamming somewhere on the map will lead to masive skill lags :\, altough ive experienced massive fight with almost unnoticeable lag and fps drop, but was a a very manly oc’ed desktop…. the bottleneck can be the client and the hardware trying to process all the data.

tdlr: players need to get better computers.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

I can get lag spikes while travelling be it walking or gathering, even sorting inventory, doesn’t matter. I’ve seen it in 1v1s and 7v7s as well, it’s not always ONLY during large fights and it happens in PVE as well.

Not going to say my fiance is an IT god, but I will label him a guru, so I’m fairly sure in our case, it’s not our hardware. Plus, we can both be in game but in seperate modes and he’ll experience it one night and I’ll experience it the next, or we’ll both experience it at the same time, it’s so random, it makes you question everything.

Admittedly, it has gotten worse over the last few weeks though especially in wvw. But, I think the problem is different in everyone’s case though, some of it can be attributed to player hardware, some can be attributed to Anet servers and some can be attributed to what your ISP is doing at the time. But not every case is solely on 1 player or Anet.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

This is terrible to hear. It’s freaking bad in ESO and I’m considering coming back to GW2 after a forced hiatus back before HoT dropped. In era of cloud computing I guess F2P no longer covers the cost of running decent servers.

sigh if only I didn’t miss my Ele so much, am I running on nostalgia here (GW2 client downloading as I type this, so fed-up with ESO).

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in WvW

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

A simply solution would be to slow down server time (which happens actually, but far too late)
Eve online does it as well, if massive fights break out.

It would mean fighting in slow-motion, but since the servers then have more time to compute all player-actions, it would be way more responsive.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Yes we all know why the game is tolling the hardware so much. But if you find the bottleneck and give the machine more of what it needs for the task at hand, then you extend the threshold. Machine is lagging because a resource is running low? Allocate more. But we have no idea how these servers are established or what they are running and it’s not something they would tell us.

It is up to them to solve the problem how they see fit, but it would be nice if something was done after all this time.

It doesn’t matter how fast this kind of system is. I assure you, they’re using some of the best enterprise hardware for the task, because they supported a lot more players in a lot bigger fights near launch and these issues weren’t nearly as bad (and culling had no effect on calculations). If there is too much happening at the same time, there’s only so far you can go hardware-wise before it starts being massively cost-prohibitive or downright impossible (usually the latter), and getting more form it takes huge amounts of time and effort on the software level, which would be a tremendous undertaking on the scale of probably re-writing a massive portion of the game engine since this would be changing how the game is processing, storing, and retrieving just about all of its combat information.

In which case they’d likely be better off releasing GW3 for new systems in terms of cost:benefit because at least that would garner more investment and financial resources to back the endeavor.

I’d suggest you do some research on parallel systems programming and distributed computer architecture before acting like this kind of adjustment would be an easy, cheap, or fast fix, or if it’s even possible within the realm of ANet’s budget on the tech side of things alone.

The simplest, cheapest, and most-sought-after fix is changing professions to not be so computationally-demanding.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

A simply solution would be to slow down server time (which happens actually, but far too late)
Eve online does it as well, if massive fights break out.

It would mean fighting in slow-motion, but since the servers then have more time to compute all player-actions, it would be way more responsive.

This seems very reasonable. Would be like erecting a dome over smc (if hundreds of players) and slowing the player speeds when they cross into it.

This is a good idea, would save everyone alot of heartache.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Would be like erecting a dome over smc (if hundreds of players) and slowing the player speeds when they cross into it.

This would be a bad idea.
Logically there would be a need to place this “dome” where-ever fights break out that are too much for the server on full speed, not just SM, which would result in them being able to occur even in between objectives everywhere on the map, which would in turn result in everyone trying to escape such a dome immediatly, especially if there is no objective to hold.
So people outside could snipe & down the slow tickle of players who run out, while commanders would have to deal with a sudden loss of control over their zerg, since everyone is leaving it.
Terribad idea…

Either slow down the whole map, or decrease the overall player-cap. Local “time-domes” would certainly cause more frustration than they solve.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Technically speaking, that would help.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The bottleneck is in the threading architecture. At some point threads have to synchronize to effectively validate what is going out to the client. No matter how much iron they throw at it, it won’t solve this basic problem.

This leaves ANet with a few options:

1. Limit the number of skills, traits, etc firing (AKA start gutting AoE and passive ability triggers). This is how a game like Planetside can have so many players. They have extremely simple mechanics and very little AoE.

2. Limit the number of players able to fight on a map (GW2 has one of the largest pools of players that utilize “complex” combat). This is how most MMOs manage the issue and most have this exact same problem.

3. Spend months/years re-writing their thread synchronization model trying to balance security, performance and not break anything. Given they already have one of the best out there for such complex combat and the RoI on this virtually zero, not going to happen in GW2.

There are likely a few other options but I would have to see their architecture up close to know for sure. Being a developer in this space solving high volume threaded transactions in a scaled environment, I can say with some certainty from the outside that if there was some easy solution they would have done it. If throwing several k at hardware solved the problem they would have taken it long ago. 10gb backbones with multi TB RAM and top of the line processors are cheap these days.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”