WvW Special Events

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Posted by: FrodoBiggins.9184

FrodoBiggins.9184

One thing that sticks out to me when talking about the health of the wvw game type is the lack of attention it gets compared to the other game types from the devs. For example, pve gets living story and raid updates quite frequently, pvp got a massive overhaul on seasons and QoL in general, however wvw got small trial updates like repair hammers and mobile cannons. And prior to that, the last ‘special feature’ wvw received was a controversial event that most of the current player base doesn’t even remember (golem week). In this thread I’d hope to get feedback on ideas for special wvw events that the devs could use to help give wvw the boost it so longingly needs.

Battle week: This event week encourages player to player combat by stopping objectives from upgrading past T1. The major problem with wvw in its current state is that defending objectives that are T3 is so easy that it’s not worth even attacking them. Keeping objectives paper would encourage player response to objectives instead of 1 person mortaring your siege and preventing a fight per example. While this does encourage easier objective capturing, it also prevents 1 side from getting demoralized by having their own objectives get t3ed from the enemy. This will bring out more objective based players and give the true fight centric players more to do as well.

Spoils of War: This event encourages players to try to capture objectives more by rewarding each capture with a unique chest (similar to how eotm did in the old days). Camps, towers, keeps, and SMC should all award a chest with rewards based on the value of the capture (the SMC chest should give way more loot then the camp or tower chest). While this event might encourage objective players to not defend, it does give wvw a population boost that will increase interest in the game mode. And a true wvwer will still hunt for a fight in this event.

Golem Week (enhanced): golems cost 20 supply, have no damage increase this time, and have their hp cut down to 25% of normal value to encourage a proactive defense. This event gives havoc and small man groups just the same effectiveness as a Zerg or blob in terms of objective play while still not overpowering a proactive defense. The issue with the first golem week was the exploitation of the damage buff and the lack of counter play to the golems (besides a golem). This week would encourage the use of golems while not making them overbearing to players and restricting their effective use to that of a siege weapon rather than that of a meat grinder. A side effect of this would be that the golem economy would take off which is a wvw exclusive tool.

Pillage and plunder: players/npcs drop double the loot. This helps both fight centric and objective centric players get more out of wvw since pvp combat is encouraged more.

No immunity: for the duration of the week, righteous indignation will be disabled. This event encourages constant battle and pressure on high tier objectives rather than the 5 minutes of protecting that the capturing side receives. This would particularly effect Smc combat and to a lesser extent the keeps.

These are just a few event ideas that I brainstormed that could help all facets of the wvw population. I would love feedback and additional event ideas that would increase wvw population as I think we all can say that it has gotten rather stale.

Try to avoid with ideas that take away facets of wvw if ur brainstorming event ideas. Anet is pretty clear that they would not take away core facets of the game mode that would effect player experience (i.e. No siege week or no arrow cart week aren’t good ideas).

~Bilbo

(edited by FrodoBiggins.9184)

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

Ok…just for giggles.

PvE Week – Players can’t kill each other. Players can only kill or heal NPC. Players can be killed by NPC.

For a Better Long Term Solution to WvW – Try a Google Search for – wvg world vs globes

(edited by Diku.2546)

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Posted by: Elementalist Owner.7802

Elementalist Owner.7802

Ok…just for giggles.

PvE Week – Players can’t kill each other. Players can only kill or heal NPC. Players can be killed by NPC.

I would uninstall if they did this

The Art of Roaming [gank]

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Posted by: Rambitshouse.8712

Rambitshouse.8712

Ok…just for giggles.

I would uninstall if they did this

I’d…..do something dramatic to. Like watch a season of Dawson’s Creek.

Dtox

WvW Special Events

in WvW

FrodoBiggins.9184

Would be nice of them to give us a ‘call to the mists’ buff like they do for PVP events and for PVE events for these wvw events. Give people more reason to come into wvw…

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

• Charr Car week – all objectives have the Dune Roller upgrade by default

WvW Special Events

in WvW

FrodoBiggins.9184

-Gold Rush: All players earn 3 silver per kill and objectives award triple the coin value they usually award. All objectives have a gathering node that gives a random number of coin (1-5) per use up to 3 times (uses mining pick). All kills are affected by diminishing returns the same way WXP is.

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

Spoils of War: This event encourages players to try to capture objectives more by rewarding each capture with a unique chest (similar to how eotm did in the old days). Camps, towers, keeps, and SMC should all award a chest with rewards based on the value of the capture (the SMC chest should give way more loot then the camp or tower chest). While this event might encourage objective players to not defend, it does give wvw a population boost that will increase interest in the game mode. And a true wvwer will still hunt for a fight in this event.

I’m telling Charvan on you. You just wanna ktrain!

As for suggestions.

Reset Week: Maps Reset periodically (Once every 2-3 hours). Intention of providing a clean slate as time zones spike in activity. This is not the same as Matchup reset! You keep your enemies for the week.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

• Charr Car week – all objectives have the Dune Roller upgrade by default

Reading this post brought a legit smile to my face. =)

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

WvW Special Events

in WvW

FrodoBiggins.9184

Id be down with that one chia! Though once every 12 or 24 hrs would be better I think so the other time zones are consistant with NA prime. A 24 hr matchup could be really competitive.

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Chinchilla.1785

Id be down with that one chia! Though once every 12 or 24 hrs would be better I think so the other time zones are consistant with NA prime. A 24 hr matchup could be really competitive.

They don’t know who you refer to as Chia though, gg. Needs to be at least once a day.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

WvW Special Events

in WvW

FrodoBiggins.9184

Swap-a-thon week: Matches reset every 24 hrs and every new matchup has a new pairing change. This will allow us play to with and against new opponents every day and to meet and greet new allies and enemies. Pairings are manually set by anet to keep balance in check and to make each day competitive. Each matchup victory earns extra reward chests depending on your servers finishing position.

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

I like the idea of WvW events, but I’m a little horrified at where you’re going with this.

I was very, very worried when you said that the main problem with WvW is tier 3 objectives, but I’m guessing that you mainly play on EBG? I’ve been visiting that place recently (it feels like a foreign land) and I can understand the sentiment, sort of. Why attack a T3 objective when enemies are close at hand when you can instead hit a softer target that’s probably easier to take? An extended siege is impossible due to spawn distances and there’s an uncontestable WP very near. Putting supply pressure on an objective is also very difficult. Thus, a T3 objective does preclude a lot of action and can be demoralizing.

But please consider us poor borderland players! We have more objectives to worry about that span much, much more space. Dying in battle actually means something too as we likely can’t just respawn and stop the enemy from flipping whatever they were trying to flip. Many of our objectives are actually much closer to enemy spawns than our own. Thus, we rely on upgrades to buy us time. For example, once our northern towers are upgraded, we don’t have to have someone watching them specifically. We’ll have time to investigate and respond. If all of our objectives were paper, enemies could just WP around and snatch something before we had a chance to stop them. Worse, a big group could hit the map and steal a keep before we could call in reinforcements to deal with that sort of enemy volume.

Events are cool and all but, please, make sure that they don’t ruin the sort of gameplay that people come to the game for.

WvW Special Events

in WvW

FrodoBiggins.9184

I see your point sviel as you want to still be able to defend objectives and by all means I’m not discounting that at all. Maybe just disabling the mortar/cannon for battle week would be enough. However I would disagree with you that the T3 is completely necessary for defense. The idea is to encourage players to play wvw. EBG usually doesn’t upgrade to T3 besides the keep and towers deep in your 3rd of the map. That’s a reason people like it so much. Frequent fights without the super cancer of everything being T3 with siege. The borderlands don’t get that same treatment simply because everything is T3 and hard as all heck to take without 2 people on seiges stopping your force (I.e. Door trebs, cannons, and mortars. It’s not worth the effort. The week is to encourage fights. And frankly you should have enough time to run from garrison to any objective in time to defend it even if its paper (granted you still need active scouts). Maybe in this week make EWP have a 5 min cd instead of 30. But either way this event should make activity increase in all maps of wvw. And even if it doesn’t work it’s only a week long event. If you have any ideas to improve it by all mean let anet here it.

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Chinchilla.1785

Victory or Death: Downed state HP is reduced (halved or quartered), and normal PPK disabled. Points per stomp drastically increased (10+). All Lord’s HP is reduced to 25% (whatever low amount), and Lord’s damage doubled (or higher). Purpose is to increase risk and reward across the board.

(edited by Chinchilla.1785)

WvW Special Events

in WvW

Posted by: pointaction.4639

pointaction.4639

No Armor Week. This include NPC’s too. So no armor means very basic stats for most part. This would be just too funny to see. Special rewards and new funny titles added for doing the WvW event.

The Dragon Core [DC]