WvW Spring 2014 Tournament

in WvW

Posted by: CastIron.7364

CastIron.7364

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-spring-2014-tournament/

So the league is now a tournament and there will be a new method to match up servers that promises to be more competitive even though I am afraid the difference between T1/T2/T3 is too big (if I understood correctly that winning servers will be matched against another).
But the new reward system sounds awesome. I am excited for the weapon skins.
Also the way they associate you with a specific world seems interesting.
All in all I’m quite thrilled by these news even though that means we will have another huge influx of PvE Overlords.

Shaak ~
Played build right now: “Cele” Base Necro with Axe WvW Roaming
“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Did this post just go up? Surprised I don’t see any discussion on this at all. From the blog post this looks to be pretty exciting and rewarding.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in WvW

Posted by: Sad Tas.2509

Sad Tas.2509

“Finally, we have also made some changes to the way we determine which world you belong to for your tournament rewards. Instead of being associated with the first world you log in on during the tournament we are tracking various activities in WvW to more closely align your rewards with the world you played on.”

explain this to me. no more servers?

in WvW

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

“Finally, we have also made some changes to the way we determine which world you belong to for your tournament rewards. Instead of being associated with the first world you log in on during the tournament we are tracking various activities in WvW to more closely align your rewards with the world you played on.”

I don’t understand that part either. I was hoping they would go to a EoTM style scoring system before they introduce season 2.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in WvW

Delvoire.8930

I think this means, and I could be wrong, that the old system was set up so when you first logged into WvW when Season 1 was going on, that was your sever for the entirety of Season 1. I know for sure that some players switched during that 7 weeks of gameplay.

With the new system, if you switched 2 weeks in and played the last 5 weeks of gameplay on another server, you would be rewarded with the one you were on longest. There would be an NPC there just to remind you for those who happen to jump ship often.

in WvW

Posted by: Schtizzel.5497

Schtizzel.5497

As far as I understand, you can’t switch server in week 1 of the saison and then transfer back to your old server/some other to get the rewards for the server you first logged in into the saison.
So when your playing the whole saison on 1 sever and just transfered at the start of the saison (to get better rewards based on the better performance of this server) to a “better” server, you will get the rewards based on the ranking of the server you played the most on…

Better rewards are always welcome. Hopefully every server will get at least one ticket and not just the top 3.

(edited by Schtizzel.5497)

in WvW

silvermember.8941

I think this means, and I could be wrong, that the old system was set up so when you first logged into WvW when Season 1 was going on, that was your sever for the entirety of Season 1. I know for sure that some players switched during that 7 weeks of gameplay.

With the new system, if you switched 2 weeks in and played the last 5 weeks of gameplay on another server, you would be rewarded with the one you were on longest. There would be an NPC there just to remind you for those who happen to jump ship often.

I guess that makes sense. Luckily I can go it all in EoTM so I hopefully don’t have to deal with JQ and BG.

in WvW

Posted by: Sad Tas.2509

Sad Tas.2509

this could backfire tremendously with everyone stacking the winning-est server after 3 weeks…

in WvW

Posted by: Forestgreen.7981

Forestgreen.7981

I don’t see the point, WvW just comes down to who has better coverage. Why not just simply look at the number of players attached to a server and award wins that way. Seriously I’m joking but this is literally how this will play out.

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

Hmm, looks like we’re going to see some wildly blown-out matchups unless there’s some provisions in place to modify the Swiss structure.

Just for fun, using this week’s scoring as an example, you could potentially see a Week 2 matchup between Jade Quarry, Eredon Terrace, and Sorrow’s Furnace since all three servers would have a 1-0 record. HOW FUN WOULD THAT BE?

in WvW

Delvoire.8930

this could backfire tremendously with everyone stacking the winning-est server after 3 weeks…

Well here’s how the swiss system tournament works;

The first round is either drawn at random or seeded according to some prior order, such as rating or last year’s performance. All players then proceed to the next round where winners are pitted against winners, losers are pitted against losers, and so on. In subsequent rounds, each player faces an opponent with the same, or almost the same, score. No player is paired up with the same opponent twice. In chess the organiser tries to ensure that each player plays an equal number of games with white and black, alternate colors in each round being the most preferable, and a concerted effort is made not to assign a player the same color three times in a row.

In each round, players with the same score are ranked according to rating. Then the top half is paired with the bottom half. For instance, if there are eight players in a score group, number 1 is paired with number 5, number 2 is paired with number 6 and so on. Modifications are then made to balance colors and prevent players from meeting each other twice.

The detailed pairing rules are usually quite complicated and often the tournament organizer uses a computer to do the pairing. If the rules are strictly adhered to, the organizer has no discretion in pairing the round. See the link below for detailed pairing rules from FIDE.

So essentially those 4 weeks could still see a “powerhouse” not succeed in winning the entire thing.

(edited by Delvoire.8930)

in WvW

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

i think this might be fun if they totally prevent server transfers and force people to stay where they are currently.

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

Wonder who is gonna tank more for this season

Commander Nachonix

in WvW

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Congrats Blackgate players!

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in WvW

Posted by: Rawr.5930

Rawr.5930

By playing up the significance of rewards, anet is just encouraging more stacking.

Sigh.

Well, that explains why almost all servers are very high i guess, time to make some more FULL and others HIGH guys.

May the gem sales commence!

Meega Kweesta

in WvW

Posted by: Vespirisa.1497

Vespirisa.1497

What a terrible idea. The imbalances between the servers in NA is just way too big. Not only that but now people can just transfer to the winning server after a week or 2 since you are not bound to the server you are in when the season starts.

IoJ→KN→DB→SoR→CD→SoR→TC → SBI
Scrub D/D Ele. What’s server loyalty?

in WvW

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

ANet, how about you actually ASK your players if they want another League?

I am not sure the majority of players wants another League (doesn’t matter how it is called) or a meta achievement that rewards one green item more than last time, or weapon skins that no one wants to use.

Once again those servers that get the most transfers will win, and we can all already tell which ones that will be. Stacked servers will get more stacked, servers with a lower WvW population (the majority) will get bashed for 7 weeks and in the end WvW will become more unbalanced than it already is.

If asked if i wanted another League my answer would be NO. I never wanted one in the first place.

There’s a nice saying that comes to my mind about it, it starts with “Fool me once…”

That’s all i can say about it.

[Yak’s Bend]

in WvW

Vespirisa.1497

ANet, how about you actually ASK your players if they want another League?

I am not sure the majority of players wants another League (doesn’t matter how it is called) or a meta achievement that rewards one green item more than last time, or weapon skins that no one wants to use.

Once again those servers that get the most transfers will win, and we can all already tell which ones that will be. Stacked servers will get more stacked, servers with a lower WvW population (the majority) will get bashed for 7 weeks and in the end WvW will become more unbalanced than it already is.

If asked if i wanted another League my answer would be NO. I never wanted one in the first place.

There’s a nice saying that comes to my mind about it, it starts with “Fool me once…”

That’s all i can say about it.

You know Anet only cares about PvE players. And all PvE players care about is loot. Anet doesn’t care that they are destroying servers like what season 1 did.

in WvW

Posted by: Buffy.9246

Buffy.9246

Congrats Blackgate players!

I don’t think black gate will win this one. Jade quarry might but who knows.

This wil be the death to lower servers…they already almost dead now. Once again anet doesn’t care for its own game and they will kill themselves.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they increased population for servers again like in season 1.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Oh my EotM will be so awesome. All meta hunters are there. Bags, bags, bags and more bags.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Well, I’m glad to hear that the achievements have been toned down a bit for “Season 2”. They seemed far too onerous back in Season 1 for a primarily PvE player, so I just skipped it all.

in WvW

Vespirisa.1497

Well, I’m glad to hear that the achievements have been toned down a bit for “Season 2”. They seemed far too onerous back in Season 1 for a primarily PvE player, so I just skipped it all.

Those achevements were REALLY EASY. A WvW player could get it done in a few days.

in WvW

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

the way i read the last part, is you will be associated with a world based on your WvW history, aka if you ve been a DragonBrander for 3 months, you will have and transfer to blackgate day 1, you will have to work your kitten off to be actually considered a blackgater when it comes to rewards.

And i welcome the tournament, where winning matters, and the matchups change all the time. For me WvW isnt the same when i know beating someone one week only means we get 5 more points out of 80000000 in rating.

I do think the Devs need to clarify some things

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Key point being a “WvW player”.

ANet has always been pushing achievements as a hook to get more PvE players into WvW, so I think this change will probably work better in that regard.

in WvW

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

When i come back im so transferring to a higher tier. Im not suffering on a lower tier for another season if im around to play. I was a hardcore wvw player until the seasons happened and now I cant care to log in.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in WvW

Posted by: Volcanus.2756

Volcanus.2756

Which ever server wins the first 2 to 3 weeks will take it just from bandwagoning knowing that players will get the rewards from that server.

Burstz-Warrior
Damage Inc. [DI]
Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

oooh just saw it and this time we get weapon skins…..yay cant wait for all the pve players coming back. they were a lot of fun last time and some even stayed after. hope we have a lot of good fights.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

When i come back im so transferring to a higher tier. Im not suffering on a lower tier for another season if im around to play. I was a hardcore wvw player until the seasons happened and now I cant care to log in.

Woo come to IoJ Clint \o/

Bring some friends ;D

Isle Of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: demetrodon.1457

demetrodon.1457

I’m pretty excited about this !

Ex [FURY] [PunK] [SOUL]
Far Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Bring some friends ;D

lol how is life on IoJ?

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in WvW

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Seasons did more harm than good.

We went from having healthy competition between 3 servers to 1 now tanking itself in NA. All of which developed from Season 1.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in WvW

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

I had fun in Season 1. Season 2 should be better, with upgraded rewards. Weapon skins? Yes please!

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in WvW

silvermember.8941

Seasons did more harm than good.

We went from having healthy competition between 3 servers to 1 now tanking itself in NA. All of which developed from Season 1.

Give credit to where it is due, seasons was not the reason why that happen.

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

Is there any incentive to stay on low tier servers? This is what they should have done, give actual reasons to stay/move there for a healthier competition. Or just plain server merging but they’ve been so blind to the server population issue, it’s mind-boggling!

I’m getting really fed up with being overrun by most and now being told that I’m gonna get lesser rewards although I participate everyday – again – unless I bandwagon onto the first tier.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

Bring some friends ;D

lol how is life on IoJ?

Farming dem DB Zergs all day ereday.

PPT wise, Typical SEA stupid big zergs after that its pretty even.

Isle Of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Anet obviously did not learn their lesson the first time around. S1 killed many servers. The lower tiers are pretty much dead, and T1 became excruciatingly unbalanced. S2 is only going to make that gap even wider as the masses all transfer to Blackgate and JQ.

But hey, screw the WvW players right? Lets cater to the PvE players and ruin the entire aspect of WvW for some neat rewards.

To Blackgate and JQ: Enjoy the queue times

To everyone else: Sorry WvW is going to be dead on your server

(edited by Doomdesire.9365)

in WvW

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

Am I supposed to be excited for this change from season to tournament? Sounds like another failure to me. You can be wasting your time in EOTM and as long as your server place high, you get the full reward. Also, let’s hide the meta achievement. Let’s not tell the players what needs to be done to accomplish it. Anet should dish out the rewards based on player participation and help in WvW for their server. Like 1000 player kills gets rewarded but you won’t know it till you completed it and the tournament is over. The same goes for all other meta achievements. They are masked so everyone will contribute normally rather than just chasing rewards and disappearing after it’s completed.

-S o S-

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I concur, the whilst the Achievement Hunters will be more quickly isn’t the idea of this Competition to bring more players into WvW, to get them interested in being part of their community and to sustain a Server’s WvW population? What should happen is that everyone should be inclined to Participate throughout the season; I don’t mean like those giving them something to Farm though.

The other problem is that no matter the fact EoTM gives players a chance to play an alternative style of WvW while waiting in a queue, it can’t become a cop-out where everyone will just Stack in EoTM like now if your Server has no chance of being in a winning position for enough tickets – unless the cost of certain Reward are kept affordable enough even for those who finish in lower positions.

I’m hoping to see some sort of incentive for Players and Guilds to avoid stacking on one Server. What needs to happen is that Anet must use Data (if they even have that lol) from Season 1 for the entirety of the Season for each Server rather than them proclaiming it brought a population surge in WvW for each Server. That is as you imagine not what happened for every Server, otherwise no matter how you Match-up servers you’ll still end up with many one sided Match-ups.

And then we have the PPT system which badly needs some sort of rework if you aren’t going to make sure WvW populations for each Server is going to be balanced.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: geist.3980

geist.3980

1. I find it hard to believe that bandwagoning will be rewarded this season. that seems so counter-productive. you might as well offer free server transfers to people the week before.

2. EoTM is going to earn anet a large helping of forum rage at the end of the season. all the people who completed the achievements there and walked off are going to get crap end rewards because the red servers are already starved of players and just karma training the keeps. we don’t hold any structures. we wont generate PPT.

3. I am already angrily grinding thru the ascended gear, why not help ease our suffering with an ascended weapon and not readily available accessories or a shiny weapon skin.

in WvW

Posted by: Gatharin.2674

Gatharin.2674

There is one thing that could make this server-stacking business a whole lot less of a problem: server handicaps. Use the projected glicko ratings (or something else that I didn’t think of while writing this post) to determine the winner. If kaineng ended up going against JQ and took 50k points by the end of the match-up, congratulations kaineng, you just won the match. Take that bandwaggoners.

Maguuma WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

Thank you rewards team for being adults and admitting the rewards were garbage. I trust that even players T3 and below will be able to acquire a weapon skin if they manage to win.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in WvW

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

Another season, another chance to post this proposal up again:
http://youtu.be/qHcO6Xo8eJ8

I’m glad EOTM borrowed a couple of ideas from this, but things could be so much better.

in WvW

Posted by: Kjaska.7849

Kjaska.7849

A lot of good changes in the right direction. With EotM in place they have options to address coverage as well. But even if they don’t do it for s2, the community lash out is going to be so loud, they’ll probably address it in s3.

Just remember what WvW teaches the individual. Coverage may be the most important winning factor for the server as a whole, but perseverance is the most important one for the individual. Persevere.

Kjaska D Lannister – Mesmer
Robin D Lannister – Ranger
Candy Shop [CS] Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

So its starts just when TESO headstart begins, what a coincidence…………….. NOT. Just pathetic.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Char.4209

Char.4209

Hello,
the rewardsystem is really awful!
people are currently running away from servers with only “High” population to winning servers. Giving these winning team joiners a better reward seems for me counterproductive.
You should give a reward for things done in the real wvw (eotm should not count). This would lead people back to the “High/Middle” Servers.

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

Is there any incentive to stay on low tier servers? This is what they should have done, give actual reasons to stay/move there for a healthier competition. Or just plain server merging but they’ve been so blind to the server population issue, it’s mind-boggling!

I’m getting really fed up with being overrun by most and now being told that I’m gonna get lesser rewards although I participate everyday – again – unless I bandwagon onto the first tier.

interestingly enough, during the first WvW CDI, population imbalance was the most listed problem with WvW. which they actually pointed out and acknowledged themselves afterwards. and it appears their solution to the population imbalance was to remove the punishments for server stacking (queues), and to add incentive for server stacking (the rewards from this tournament).

i’m guessing that there’s a proper amount of crack one can smoke to where that solution actually makes sense, because anyone with a functional brain can see how stupid of a plan it was. unless, of course, they were actively trying to kill WvW for some reason…. then that plan is the best way to go.

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

interestingly enough, during the first WvW CDI, population imbalance was the most listed problem with WvW. which they actually pointed out and acknowledged themselves afterwards. and it appears their solution to the population imbalance was to remove the punishments for server stacking (queues), and to add incentive for server stacking (the rewards from this tournament).

i’m guessing that there’s a proper amount of crack one can smoke to where that solution actually makes sense, because anyone with a functional brain can see how stupid of a plan it was. unless, of course, they were actively trying to kill WvW for some reason…. then that plan is the best way to go.

Everywhere else they say there are absolutely no problem with the population and everything is going according to plan =/ But lemme tell ya, for someone that has been on the same server since before server transfers became not free anymore… This is #1 issue in WvWvW for almost all servers except tier 1. And even there I’m sure being matched against BG/JQ must be very dreadful for the third wheel. Maybe they did acknowledge it (I’d like a link) but I’ve never saw it and they need to make it known widely that they understand this is very frustrating instead of catering only to the real “high” pop servers, aka 3-4 max. (I’m sorry for EU, I only know about NA)

I agree with you that Eotm as a solution is moot when it concerns actual competition. But it was a good effort. If only they could think more about people that are obliged to fork over money/gold to have a chance at competition. It’s easy to say perseverance and persistence is what we need in lower population servers but at some point… you just can’t give it anymore. I’m not a commander, I’m not in a big wvw guild.. I play wvw because I like it, I like the challenge and I want competition. I try to get better at it, I play everyday (when I am not on break from gw2) but you can’t expect individuals to pull a whole server and blame/punish them when the others don’t stick around.
I’m really just fed up and this news left me a sour taste… time to give in and move to somewhere I’ll feel my efforts matter I guess.
/rant

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: Snoozey.2790

Snoozey.2790

So its starts just when TESO headstart begins, what a coincidence…………….. NOT. Just pathetic.

TESO is awful. Won’t matter anyways.

in WvW

Posted by: SniffyCube.6107

SniffyCube.6107

guys this is awesome it’s going to get people interested in WvW. Maybe it’ll repopulate the wvw maps since this EOTM crap has killed quite a few servers

“They have also been designed with the expectation that a player who spends the whole tournament in the Edge of the Mists can achieve the meta.

…And… back to reality

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

developed from Season 1.

Give credit to where it is due, seasons was not the reason why that happen.

I did say develop from Seasons. That is when the cracks started to become obvious.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”