WvW- Trebuchet safe spots, OP or meant to be?

in WvW

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

My questions is that sometimes, especially on borderlands, there are these areas within keeps that have range of surrounding towers with trebuchet. What i mean is that you can place a trebuchet inside the safety of the keep and it can fire on surrounding towers.

Is this meant to be? IT seems a bit over powered. My problem with WvW is that once you start winning, you just get more and more powerful. You take a keep/tower, now you can seige another keep/tower without having to leave yours. You just got the orbs? now you can own even more.

I think there should be a way to build in safespots simply because they are almost impossible to counter. Sure you can speed build another trebuchet, but you have to make sure the other one doesn’t see you and then get 10 willing people wtih supplies to build it. I’ve lost 1 superior trebuchet and 2 regulars thanks to people ignoring my request to build it. Doing this seems very very hard in pugs. Sure i could get some guildies in here, but there is no group join and with Ques, its kinda hard.

So yeah, did they do this on purpose? If so do you think it is a bit OP? If not, why?

in WvW

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Exploit. A dev already mention it is not suppose to happen.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in WvW

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

Gunners hold and AR have been using this like crazy today against desolation, but we managed to take them out. After many try’s lol.

in WvW

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

Not so much that I doubt you Runeblade, but do you have the source on that? It sounds interesting, makes me wonder what caused it to start happening.

While the keeps and towers might not be designed to treb other locations I would guess that Stonemist is practically designed around it. Those extensions of the 3rd floor going out from the middle? If those aren’t made for treb bombardment I don’t know what is. But that could be a designed in advantage to stonemist. Just because they don’t intend garrison to be able to treb bay, doesn’t necessarily mean SM isn’t meant to treb the nearby towers.

in WvW

Posted by: Slyther.1297

Slyther.1297

Despite if this was intended or not, I think it should be allowed to stay. I’ll give specific example locations and explain why I think they’re fine:

Borderlands Maps:
-Garrison Cliff, the keep is generally held by the home team, and one would think that the home team should have the advantage on their home borderland. This cliff does exactly that in allowing them to bombard other locations. Sure this spot favours the west keep and some would argue that it gives an unfair disadvantage to the team on that side of the map, but remember there’s three identicle maps that even this out as the teams can very will be on the reverse scenario on another borderland.

-Bay to Briar both ways, they can counter each other, and the keep is meant to be difficult to hold, it allows the team on that side of the map to advance into the borderland, yet in turn hard to hold due to the garrison advantage of the home team. The Briar is the base of an invading world, so it makes sense that the defender has a method in bombarding it.

-East keep to lake, again home team advantage to warding off an invading force. Not sure the lake can hit the keep though, but there is that platform that might be able to be in range?

Eternal Battleground:

-Stonemist Castle: A strategic objective and difficult to hold, an advantage to having it is the ability to bombard surrounding towers, but the trade-off is that it in turn can also be hit.

-The keeps, red in particular. Unlike the borderlands there is no home advantage on this map, instead each team should theoretically be able to easily take their third of the map. This is obvious with red in particular as their keep can hit three of the surrounding towers, all in the red portion, making it difficult for the other teams to keep towers they take from them.

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Arrow Carts have no LoS requirement, and Ballista have a fairly long range. Be creative and use them to your advantage.

Garrison Trebuchet: It is possible to kill these Trebuchet using a Ballista and the AoE #2 ability. You have to push to the cliffs and defend the Ballista, but it is a tactic works soundly.

Briar Trebuchet: While you cannot counter-Trebuchet it from Bay without putting it in an exposed position on the wall, you can try to sneak in an Arrow Cart close-by.

“Check Mate” Trebuchet Spots:

• 2nd floor of Stonemist: It completely overshadows all of Durios Gulch. You cannot access it without breaking Stonemist’s outer wall.
  • Every Keep in the Eternal Battlegrounds: You can build Trebuchet atop the vista of Lowlands and Valley, which can hit their neighboring towers. The same can be done almost anywhere in Overlook.

in WvW

Posted by: Shintai.5618

Shintai.5618

You can place trebs at locations that can never be hit because its guarded by non destructive structures.

in WvW

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Yeah shin. Thats my problem. None arrow carts or ballistas can hit the trebuchet unless i go inside of the keep.

in WvW

Posted by: Wraithowl.8257

Wraithowl.8257

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Siege-can-be-built-in-invulnerable-zone/first#post192738

The above is the thread where devs mention that we’re not supposed to be able to build trebs inside each server’s safe area. As far as everything I’ve read being able to build siege equipment inside any of the other towers and keeps is intentionally possible and I think should remain that way. Its a perfectly valid tactic, both in game and historically in RL, with viable counters.

Wraithowl – Norn Guardian, Zwash – Asura Ranger,
Swash – Human Necro, Swarsh – Char Thief
Fist of the North – SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

Counter-Treb would be a kitten-load more viable as a tactic if there wasn’t a dead body exploit-spying on your exact treb location in every freaking tower so the attacking Treb can dial in their shells.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Nucleotides.6928

Nucleotides.6928

I’m more curious about the ones in SM that normally you could get with a balista but because of the hitbox only being the base of it how that works out. If the put it far enough out I can hit it. If they put it to far in it’s not even worth upgrading the tower because they will zerg it then we hit it back right before the cap.

edit: Don’t really care of it’s hard to get without pushing the kitten out of SM but impossible?

(edited by Nucleotides.6928)

in WvW

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

giving seige weapons ammo counts would probably solve this greatly.

Treb gets 15 shots? Then you need to fill it with supply again. This would mean starving that treb now would be an effective way to counter. Instead of now, which it can fire forever, even when cut off.