WvW: Why I haven't logged in for a month.

in WvW

Posted by: Rimarlk.1529

Rimarlk.1529

I’d like to first start off by saying how fun and polished this game really is. The leveling experience was a fantastic breath of fresh air and many of the fundamental core designs of the game are very strong (such as the combat system, leveling system, zone designs, classes, etc). I’m a strong pvp’er in mmo’s, more open world than anything. That’s endgame in MMO’s for me. I played DAoC, Warhammer, and Aion which all had focuses on open world pvp (DAoC was the only one to truly do it right at least for a while). GW2 has beautiful, sandboxy zones for open world, but for some reason I have no desire to log in to play endgame. Here’s why (in no particular order of importance):

1. After you hit 80, there’s literally no other benchmark to achieve. ALL other pvp mmo’s have a ranking system for pvp (funny enough sPvP in this game does too but not WvW). DAoC had realm ranks, WAR had renown ranks, and Aion had Abyss Points as well. Now I’m NOT saying implement something like DAoC where your RR vastly affected your effectiveness in PvP. Some of the stuff RR’s gave you was utterly ridiculous and imbalanced. However, there needs to be something to work for. Again they’ve already done a rank system for sPvP (although it doesn’t mean much), so why can’t they do it for WvW which arguably needs it more? There needs to be a carrot that doesn’t imbalance the game.

P.S. Like in Aion, I think death should make you lose some points of whatever rank they would put in. Penalties for death are good. They make pvp much more exciting.

2. Open world pvp in this game is INCREDIBLY impersonal. What I mean by that is you cannot see the names of opposing players. This, imo, is a huge oversight. Part of what makes war in these games so much fun is developing competitive relationships with players from the other sides. We call them grudges. Any hardcore pvp’er knows there’s nothing sweeter than beating a player they’ve built a rivalry with.

Now I understand how the switching servers kind of puts a wedge in this, but still. Rivalries do not take long to build and servers frequently get matched up with each other more than once. This is one of the things that makes pvp so much fun in other games with arguably inferior pvp mechanics (like WAR). It’s sad that something this small really holds back a lot of the more amazing aspects of WvW in this game.

3. Loot. Nothing is more anti-climactic than wiping a group of enemies and seeing that one corpse sparkling with shiny lootz, only to walk over and get a gray “chipped tooth” 90% of the time or something so inconsequential. I know the point isn’t to get loot in pvp, but cmon. That’s weaksauce.

4. Badges. The badge system has soooooo much potential that’s being wasted right now. Other than needing 500 for legendary items, you can only use them on one set of gear: invader (at least in my understanding). There’s a ton you can do with this. Very underwhelming.

This was longer than I meant it to be, but for me it’s kind of a tragedy to not be having fun in a game that is so well-made. Open World PvP is what will make an MMO last for a long time in today’s WOW’ified MMO market. Arenanet needs to make it the best and most fun system out there and they, unlike other games, have the foundation to do so.

Peace. (Please keep comments constructive, thanks)

in WvW

Posted by: Dhar.6392

Dhar.6392

My take is that sPvP is more for individual accomplishment while Wv3 is for Guild accomplishment via teamwork and strategy.

Can’t commit much on badges- except that I’m having a tough time collecting any. It’s rarely who kills the mob; but who plants the stake. So you can run with a zerg never attacking anyone and just be first to plant the flag… and you get badges.

(mmm maybe I should try that- contributing is certainly not working)

in WvW

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

1. Do people just not see the WvW tab under achievements?

2. Don’t want my name to be seen, don’t want to see enemy names. Guild tags and names are sufficient.

3. Loot is fine. Sometimes you get a trash trophy, sometimes you get a rare. There’s enough to cover costs and then some, so it’s fine. Full auto-loot would be nice though.

4. Sure, why not?

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in WvW

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Can’t commit much on badges- except that I’m having a tough time collecting any. It’s rarely who kills the mob; but who plants the stake. So you can run with a zerg never attacking anyone and just be first to plant the flag… and you get badges.

Are you talking about the finish move? That has nothing to do with badges. I never finish anyone, especially in a zerg. It’s a waste of time, auto-attacking is faster, and I get plenty of badges.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in WvW

Posted by: Daredent.2961

Daredent.2961

You are exactly right. This is a MMO, the purpose of a MMO is to advance in levels or achievements in ANY part of the game that you want to play. As a WvW player I find all those things listed to be poor, poor judgements on ANets part and they need to be addressed fairly fast before they lose a large community from the game.

Also the fact that badges can be used across all characters is a bad idea as well. Badges should be character bound. This would not allow players from jumping to FOTM classes just to farm badges for the class they really want to gear in the first place.

WvW needs more personal achievements to allow players to progress, or they will .. I repeat WILL get bored and leave. sPvP is awful. Don’t make me play small maps and deal with sPvP for “personal” gain.

Titles would also go a long way in WvW for accomplishments. For example – The Lone Enforcer Title for solo WvW kills. This will take some of the population away from the zergs. Just my 2 cents. Yes, I am a former 10 year DAoC’er :P

in WvW

Posted by: etsmith.9025

etsmith.9025

Avid PvPer? Doubt it. Showboater? Absolutely.
I am an avid WvW player.
1) i don’t need an achievement of any kind to PvP.
2) I don’t need to know your name. If your red, your dead.
3) Loot? Really? I harvest raw materials constantly and sell on market. Never have an issue of not having enough gold for what I need
4) Badges? I got 3 stacks right now in bank that i use buying blueprints. If they aren’t dropping, you’re not killing enough.

Sorrybut you are sounding more like a showboater who needs to show his fancy things more than you sound like an avid pvper.

in WvW

Posted by: BAEK.8561

BAEK.8561

I agree with you on #1. Some sort of ranking system to display your achievements and progress in WvW would be nice. sPvP sort of has it, but strangely WvW doesn’t. And for someone prefers WvW over sPvP, it’s a bit of a bummer.

As for loot and other stuff, my only complaint is that I have to pause my fighting in order to go loot stuff. I wish they implemented a system where you automatically loot from players instead of having to press “F”

{Sanctum of Rall} Since Day -3
Weekend Guardian/Elementalist
No Guild Affiliation

in WvW

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I like the name thing. I mean, I hate not knowing who kills me. I would say I hate not knowing who I kill too but that doesn’t happen much. QQ

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in WvW

Posted by: Khairos.3890

Khairos.3890

I agree with the OP. I play WvW a lot, it’s my endgame, I love playing organized on TeamSpeak with my guild and fighting to get my server to the top, but there are small things that could be implemented that could greatly improve the experience.

Helia – Stormbluff Isle – [MORD]

in WvW

Posted by: Odaman.8359

Odaman.8359

I have to agree with pretty much everything you said. I know some people want to be anonymous in, and they could be given the option to hide their name from the enemy. It shouldn’t be shoved down our throat along with all the other terrible design decisions (lack of large grouping, and even commander is sub par).

Odaman 80 Mesmer
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

@Ianervan

Yet you don’t want name to be shown, but you are still trolling this thread.

I would love to see my ennemies name, not to troll them or anything, but just because I miss it. It was like that in WoW (didn’t play much) and I never trolled anybodies. But it was really cool to see some known ennemies commander coming to you, because you know you were in for a hell of a fight.

At least give us the option of showing or not our name, everyone would be happy. You want to be anonymous? don’t show it. Don’t dictate how I should enjoy the game, especially in this case where it wouldn’t affect you at all.

He is proposing title, only to have some sort of carrot on a stick. I’m like him, I don’t play Call of Duty cause I feel like I’m not progressing(well except those level). I love to pvp, but that’s why I play MMORPG, to pvp and progress.

I would love some stats bonus, but it would imbalance the game. The only other option we have, is title and cosmetic. I’m don’t want to show off, but at least having title will give me a feeling of progressing.A carrot on a stick.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in WvW

Posted by: Ianervan.3415

Ianervan.3415

Actually I have more of a problem with cosmetic stuff than enemy names not shown. I don’t like how I can’t see how enemies look, or they can’t see how I look. This is also tied to showing a name. In some other games as soon as you see someones armor you’re pretty sure who it is that’s coming to face you. Even when you don’t see a name, you can recognize the style. I would prefer red outline or better yet just red name without armor being red as well. It serves no purpose, which is especially seen now when half of the enemies are invisible.

As for names shown itself, yes, at first I agreed with you. I thought it’s stupid not to see the names. Actually, my first WvW battle – I thought these people are some NPCs. But reading this forum convinced me it’s better not to show names. Forums would be full of “I beat ya nubcake!” and stuff like that.

Unemployed people should not receive any social benefits if they are already working in an MMO.

in WvW

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

If you truly pvp enough, you are used to getting whispered by the people you killed telling you “you suck and only won because you suck” or some other pointless garbage.

I laughed at it, but also got tired of it. Get over it, I killed you. Not my fault I was better and you were worse.

But I’m so glad it’s gone. I no longer get whispered by nerd raging players. (except for the few that figured out WvW whispering…. so far only 1 nerd rager).

It’s the reason names are removed. And it’s a great reason. We don’t need to see names. It doesn’t nothing for combat.

sPvP already has that and maintains the nerd raging if you miss it.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

in WvW

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I saw a post somewhere before launch about trying some kind of pvp point system to spend on attribute points. If the point max was infinite, this would be a deal-breaker. But if you kep the max spendable points to, say, 10% of the base that might work. I dunno.

It always seemed to me the problem wasn’t really that someone else had an advantage over you, it was that the advantage was way over-powered. There’s a difference between being able to 1-hit and be unkillable 1v1, and hitting a little harder and being just a little tougher to kill.

Finding a system everyone would agree on is probably beyond the scope of human cooperation and reason though. :/

Not to mention the outright unbalacing this incurs…something ANet is explicitly against.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in WvW

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

@Hsinimod

Like I say, you can live in your carebear world. But having the option of showing or not our name doesn’t affect you.

Just let us show our name if we want to.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in WvW

Posted by: Enenion.8127

Enenion.8127

There are WvW achievements, the problem is they are all lifetime. Like “It will take you months before you have anything to show for this” lifetime. This turns off a lot of people who want to see advances in their character. A great example of this is the rank system that advances based on kills and shows up on the character select screen along with World Completion. That’s great, but I can’t show it to anyone until it’s completed making it rather pointless. I feel they should split the lifetime achievements into smaller segments and allow players to display the ranks as they achieve them rather than only at completion of the full title.

[Help],
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

There are WvW titles….. check under, you know, the ACHIEVEMENTS tab……

Anyone have Ultimate Dominator yet? I haven’t seen one…… The wiki didn’t even have data on how many kills it takes yet (last I checked). How about Ultimate Liberator?

What is with this nonsense that there are titles in sPvP to work for but not WvW? It’s just not true…… http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_vs_World_

This thread might make sense if it started with “I’ve already got every WvW title”……

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

in WvW

Posted by: Akuma.7098

Akuma.7098

I would really like some w3 rank progression. Even gear progression in form of like enchantments that would cause that if you had everything enchanted with tier 1 enchantments, your stats would be like 1-2% better then pure exotic. Some carrot on the stick and something that I could call character and equipment progression would be nice.

in WvW

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

Add in the ability to see their name and recognize them (Hell i believe this whole auto-color to green/blue/red is crap i want my awesome color set to be shown to the enemy too!)

If you get people trolling/griefing after you win. Guess what its called “Ignored” List.

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

in WvW

Posted by: Sniku.6837

Sniku.6837

i don’t like that in WvW are 3 teams on one map and also are 4 maps instead of 1

in WvW

Posted by: GekoHayate.2451

GekoHayate.2451

Wishlist:

Daredent.2961

Titles would also go a long way in WvW for accomplishments. For example – The Lone Enforcer Title for solo WvW kills. This will take some of the population away from the zergs. Just my 2 cents. Yes, I am a former 10 year DAoC’er :P

Response: See World Versus World under the Achievements tab.

Havroun of Karp – Disciples of Magikarp [Karp]

in WvW

Posted by: bhansen.7251

bhansen.7251

I totally agree with the creater of this thread. WvW Needs a carrot. Right now i think WvW is awesome, but imo the fun has a short horizon. We need some sort of progression model for it. What happens when u are fully geared and a couple of months has passed? Im telling you, people are gonne start signing out.

in WvW

Posted by: Spetrix.3859

Spetrix.3859

I’m fully geared and need no carrot. The gameplay is fun in and of itself.

I understand the need for progression for some but how about those WvW titles or the invaders armor? I don’t think they should augment stats on gear at all so really all that is left is cool skins or titles. Ultimate Dominator is a pretty good title IMO (10K kills >.<). This game should ultimately be about skill at the highest level. Never gear.

A good solution would be epic skins or better yet legendary precursors. Maybe 10,000 badges per precursor? I think there would have to be the equivalent of a PvE equivalent like 1000 of each dungeon token. Just a thought

Spetrix l 80 Sylvari Thief l Yak’s Bend
Grawls Gone Wild (GGW)

in WvW

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I am very happy with current WvW, except for two things:

1. Bots/Hackers. These really ruin many of the match-ups, with one realm floating over walls or having no chance because 100 of their slots are taken up by bots. I know you’re working on this ANet, just to voice in and say this is a really really major issue. :$
  2. Orbs/Outmanned are counterintuitive. The winning realm has the orbs, and starts winning more clearly as a result. Outmanned gives you no better fighting chance (which the Orbs do!) just better rewards (which would imply you can already kill the enemy, but that’s the thing, you’re too few). Switch them, make outmanned provide 5%-25% more HP depending on how badly outmanned the realm is, make Orbs provide MF/GF bonuses.

Other than that, very happy. My replies to some of the common criticisms:

1. There is plenty incentive to play PvP already. For one, you’re playing PvP and knocking over other players. That’s sort-of the primary motivation for any form of PvP, anything else is artificially added to make people not motivated for PvP be motivated for it. Even then, that being said, there’s Badges (for Invaders / Siege / Legendary) and Achievements.
  2. Too easy to overwhelm, I agree, but I think this’ll be very very difficult to work on without making it much worse. WvW needs to be slower, but not to the point where you can’t “snipe” a tower or so. Difficult to hit the right spot, right now it’s too fast but not even by much.
  3. I feel like the walking distance is alright. It is a good kind of death penalty, plus it makes material possessions (waypoints!) incredibly powerful.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.