WvW and the Heart of Thorns Release

in WvW

Posted by: Chris Barrett

Chris Barrett

Gameplay Programmer

Next

Here’s what the Heart of Thorns release will look like for WvW:

1. On the morning of Thursday, October 22nd, WvW will be terminating without completing or updating Glicko ratings as normal. This will be the end of the classic (“Alpine”) Borderlands maps for the foreseeable future.
  2. On entering the build with the new Heart of Thorns content, all of your spent WvW Ability points will be refunded. Recall these can be spent differently per character, and spending them on one character doesn’t spend them on any others.
  3. WvW’s reset time will be changed to be 24 hours later in NA and EU. It will now occur on Saturdays instead of Fridays.
  4. At the moment Heart of Thorns content becomes available, WvW will prepare its maps. Including the new Desert Borderlands map. There’s no guarantee the matchups from earlier in the week will be the same as the new ones (or that they’ll be different).
  5. The new round will run until the new reset times on Saturday, then end and update Glicko ratings. After it comes up again, WvW will be running as “normal” except for the changed reset times and the new Desert Borderlands.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Is this new reset day something that people requested? I personally enjoyed the Friday reset and it is the one time we get a lot of people from the guild together.

in WvW

Posted by: BrickFurious.7169

BrickFurious.7169

Saturday reset could be interesting depending on how close the match is. Was the intent with this to split the weekend, minimizing its influence on early match points?

in WvW

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Working weekends and not getting home till after reset (and queues) will make me one unhappy fellow. Good thing I’ll have so much to keep me busy in PvE land (for now) though.

I’m just hoping we get updates everywhere more than once a year after the xpax is released.

in WvW

Posted by: Tofu.1978

Tofu.1978

Is the information in the link below still accurate in regards to WvW ability points? Are Applied Fortitude and Applied Strength effects still being removed and the cost of siege lines and such still being brought down? I haven’t heard anything on this in a long time.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upgrading-world-vs-world-upgrades/

Devout Tofu, Hardened Tofu, Cryptic Tofu, Unstable Tofu, Expired Tofu
Knights of the Rose [KoR] – Isle of Janthir

(edited by Tofu.1978)

in WvW

Posted by: BrickFurious.7169

BrickFurious.7169

Is the information in the link below still accurate? Are Applied Fortitude and Applied Strength effects still being removed and the cost of siege lines and such still being brought down? I haven’t heard anything on this in a long time.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upgrading-world-vs-world-upgrades/

As of the most recent WvW stress test, yes those are accurate.

in WvW

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

Is this new reset day something that people requested? I personally enjoyed the Friday reset and it is the one time we get a lot of people from the guild together.

Yeah, me too. I will have the feeling that changing the reset from friday to saturday will be like wasting a good day and a half to play WvW, because people don’t take much of the last day pre-reset seriously, and the weekends are usually action packed.

Pumpkin – Mag

(edited by Pumpkin.5169)

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

1. WvW’s reset time will be changed to be 24 hours later in NA and EU. It will now occur on Saturdays instead of Fridays.

Please explain the reasoning behind this change.

in WvW

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

NICE! Its like they knew of my schedule change and adjusted the day accordingly. I hafta work Saturday, during the day, with Sun-Mon off, so this is a very nice change indeed! Thanks ANet!

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

in WvW

Posted by: RlyOsim.2497

RlyOsim.2497

Moving reset to Saturdays seems like a bad move tbh.

The day before reset is traditionally a pretty dead day for WvW as the matchup is usually decided. A good deal of people have no interest in defending objectives with no incentive to do so (“K-Train Thursday”).

Added to this reset being on a Friday gives Friday night/Saturday/Sunday to battle in WvW as there is a lot more on the line at the start of a matchup. Seems like reset on Saturday might eliminate a good deal of prime WvW playtime. Related to this, eliminating one of the weekend days might benefit the zombie/nightcapping servers as there is more emphasis put on Mondays/Tuesdays in order to decide the matchup.

I’m sure you have your reasons but it might be a bad move overall.

The Ghost of Christmas Past

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

WvW’s reset time will be changed to be 24 hours later in NA and EU. It will now occur on Saturdays instead of Fridays.

Why? Seriously, why? Why change something like this now, after 3 freaking years of us enjoying it? I too would like to know the reasoning behind this arbitrary change.

Fridays are when people get home after a week of working, get drunk and have fun during the GW2 reset.

Saturdays nights just isnt going to be the same. Get drunk then, have a hangover all sunday.

Never underestimate drunken gaming. And dont kittening ruin WvW :/

in WvW

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

This friday’s reset is gonna be the last reset I’ll ever do in GW2 for me. I’m sad

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in WvW

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

Changing time stinks. Makes saturday a dead day in wvw. So instead of having a bunch of fights saturday will turn into a day where most people dont care and just screw around until reset.

I guess at the start it might be nice, since things will be reset and servers might be moving tiers. So people might be pushing to the end. But once acores lock in again and tiers settle, RIP saturdays.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

in WvW

Posted by: LINKAZZATORE.8135

LINKAZZATORE.8135

i’d rather prefer have wvw down 2 days early and keep the reset on friday…

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Changing time stinks. Makes saturday a dead day in wvw.

Yeah, that’s the worst thing. A day when most people are free and they completely ruin it. Unless matches are incredibly even on saturday morning, its effectivly removing an entire day from WvW.

With friday reset, saturday is usually filled with battles as server fight to go past each other in score.

in WvW

Posted by: Synosius.9876

Synosius.9876

Half a Saturday wasted waiting for reset. Can you at least make it earlier on Saturday?

This change is a bummer.

in WvW

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

Fridays are when people get home after a week of working, get drunk and have fun during the GW2 reset.

this

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in WvW

Posted by: Darksoul.6310

Darksoul.6310

rip to saturday eu raids

in WvW

Posted by: Gunner Morton.8340

Gunner Morton.8340

Exactly, nobody wants this yet the devs shove it through our throats. WvW devs seem to have lost all touch with the community. What a sad day it is.

I used to play WvW on Gunnar’s Hold, then I took a flawed serverlink to the knee.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I would like to understand why reset night is being moved.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Why, for the love of god why anet???

It’s bad enough your forcing this stupid new map on us and now fridays are going to be meaningless as the day before resets usually are, most of saturday is going to be spent waiting for reset. Why are you splitting our weekend in half? Who came up with this stupid idea???

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Exactly, nobody wants this yet the devs shove it through our throats. WvW devs seem to have lost all touch with the community. What a sad day it is.

I don’t know.. I have heard plenty of people talk about how pointless most match-ups are on Monday/Tuesday because during Friday evening to Monday morning the gap between the servers have been made too big due to some servers having more people.

Putting reset on a Saturday instead however, would mean that they cut the time in which such difference can happen quite a bit, which might very well lead to match-ups being interesting for a larger part of the week instead of just the first three days.

Time will tell.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Wryscher.1432

Maybe it is just a trick. Launch is friday. The game will likely be rebooted 900 times. This causes wvwers to cry and yell. So they annouce the change to sat! This prevents the 900 reboots during reset. And in a week or two they can move it back to friday due to popular demand! Yeah good guys!

in WvW

Wryscher.1432

I don’t know.. I have heard plenty of people talk about how pointless most match-ups are on Monday/Tuesday because during Friday evening to Monday morning the gap between the servers have been made too big due to some servers having more people.

Putting reset on a Saturday instead however, would mean that they cut the time in which such difference can happen quite a bit, which might very well lead to match-ups being interesting for a larger part of the week instead of just the first three days.

Time will tell.

Except for the servers with the exact opposate problems. Well balanced through the weekend but large differences in the weekday warrior schedules.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Time will tell.

Except that those first three days (well, drunken friday night included) is the weekend. You know, when we are supposed to enjoy our free time that we can spend on gaming?

If they want to avoid weekend as a first push, just put reset in the middle in the week instead (wednesday/thursday). But not smack in the middle of the frikking weekend, sigh…

in WvW

Posted by: DickerKoenig.7895

DickerKoenig.7895

You have become so removed from this game mode. It is so sad that you seem to lack any insight in the variety of aspects WvW is about for the same variety of people – and yes, there might be some that appreciate this change, yet I safely assume that making Saturday a rather irrelavant day in a decided matchup will sadden quite a lot of people. This change is just the tip of the iceberg. I do not know why I even bother anymore.

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Except that those first three days (well, drunken friday night included) is the weekend. You know, when we are supposed to enjoy our free time that we can spend on gaming?

If they want to avoid weekend as a first push, just put reset in the middle in the week instead (wednesday/thursday). But not smack in the middle of the frikking weekend, sigh…

I am aware that Friday to Sunday are weekend, you are however making a mistake thinking that everyone only works on weekdays. Not that it really matters, since that wasn’t really the point.

The point was that we have seen for quite some time that many match-ups are “decided” within those first 3 days, because those are the days when traditionally most people can play for extended amounts of time. Something that people have been complaining about since release more or less. Moving the reset slightly so that people won’t get all those days at the very start of the match up, could thus lead to more long-lived balance in the match ups, which should combat the issue of people giving up on Monday.

Like I said, time will tell. Why not give it a couple of months and see before deciding that it is apparently the worst thing ever?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

This is not moving it “slightly” this makes friday and most of saturday meaningless splitting the weekend in half.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Oh.

Thinking further about it, I think I just realized the why for the change.

sPvP.

They regularly run sPvP weekend events, but with WvW in full heat it draw people away from sPvP during saturdays.

By making saturdays worthless for WvW, they are hoping to make more people play sPvP instead.

It makes so much sense now.

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

I am fine with the change of the reset day. Fridays are work/school days for me and a lot of people that I know and we’re pretty tired late EST

So “nobody wants this” is quite fallacious, please. Speak for yourselves, people!

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: Leery.2976

Leery.2976

I’m not a fan of the reset move. This makes friday night into Saturday morning the ktrain day that no one cares about. Also, if the thought of this was to somehow help with coverage differences, the weekend is where these show the least due to people being on outside the timezones they usually play. So instead of the first 2 full days being competitive and depending less on coverage, now it’ll be the first day.

I would ask that this please be reconsidered before the expansion launch, this change will just eliminate one of the more active days of wvw and won’t shift it noticibly. I know I won’t be playing nearly as much Friday/Saturday is that’s the new ktrain time.

Leery – Ehmry Bay
Grindhouse Gaming [GH]- Guild Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Fortra.5918

Fortra.5918

Why, for the love of god why anet???

It’s bad enough your forcing this stupid new map on us and now fridays are going to be meaningless as the day before resets usually are, most of saturday is going to be spent waiting for reset. Why are you splitting our weekend in half? Who came up with this stupid idea???

+1 Spot kittenin’ on
Also, RIP EU raids for us NA players…

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

I am fine with the change of the reset day. Fridays are work/school days for me and a lot of people that I know and we’re pretty tired late EST

So “nobody wants this” is quite fallacious, please. Speak for yourselves, people!

But how many weeks during the last 3 years have you thought “this would be even more awesome if reset was tomorrow instead, I hope Anet change it!” followed by posting the suggestion on this forum? Just curious. If you have then sure, everyone doesnt have free weekends. But most does, yes?

in WvW

Posted by: Avit.3165

Avit.3165

Another brilliant idea from Anet, these guys do not have brakes. I think that hired special group of people, and the only task of these people is to do so WvW disappear naturally.
I keep asking myself, why they hate us so much?

in WvW

Kitta.3657

But how many weeks during the last 3 years have you thought “this would be even more awesome if reset was tomorrow instead, I hope Anet change it!” followed by posting the suggestion on this forum? Just curious. If you have then sure, everyone doesnt have free weekends. But most does, yes?

I understand others gripes with it or reasoning behind the negative reception, though I know for a fact this will be beneficial for my guild. A lot more people are available on saturday nights than friday nights for us. That is a simple personal point of view. For the greater of the game, I think it’s worth trying instead of having a complete aversion to change which is what I’m reading rather than concern. (this whole “they hate us!!” because they’re changing something /smh) And I do not think that this is something that they would be completely against changing back if it proves to be an issue like people are voicing right now. And on top of that, for once, I agree with Lordkrall. Maybe this change will improve the first 3 days influence on a matchup – or the opposite! Maybe it will be worse. I’m really just about giving it a shot.

I was only posting to voice my personal opinion on it and to remind people to do it in the same manner instead of freaking the kitten out and trying to speak for everyone else

in WvW

Posted by: DomAltares.8651

DomAltares.8651

Thanks, Anet, for more changes that no one asked for. I hope that you bother to return to this thread with some logical justifications for this, based in the game mode itself, and not something that has nothing to do with it.

in WvW

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

I don’t see why they don’t make it a 6 day ‘week’ and have the reset night change every week. Then people who have different work schedules or play time preferences all get ‘optimal’ reset time once and a while.

I don’t see why people are only wanting to fight for points the first few days of WvW but I do see that it happens. Even though with Gliko every point matters so playing on Saturday is just as important as any other day of the week. If you say people don’t care about the Gliko and winning then again why does it matter when reset is, if people are available and playing on Friday it can still be fun fights.

An unexpected side effect of this change that might be super good. People will log in on Friday and early Saturday because it’s the weekend but won’t care to get objectives or defend them so instead they will just fight each other (maybe). This could make the people that like open field fights just to fight have a bit of the weekend to enjoy.

One thing is for sure, things will feel different for a while and then will settle in to a ‘meta’ after a while (for better or worse).

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in WvW

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

WvW’s reset time will be changed to be 24 hours later in NA and EU. It will now occur on Saturdays instead of Fridays.

From an EU perspective, this is very, very bad news, indeed.

This essentially means that for 50% of the weekend (and especially during Saturday, the prime time of prime times in WvW) there will be no meaningful WvW match-up going on. People playing on Saturday will be forced to play in the mindless karma trains we now see during Fridays, which is pretty much the opposite of what serious WvW players want to play. I’d say this change has the potential break the neck for many EU WvW players.

For me personally, I always had Saturday as the one day I was able to play GW2 the most. This kind of kills my WvW playing routine. I certainly will not become AWOL since I will always fight for my server, but I am pretty sure that this means I will no longer be able to play as intensively as I have played before.

My sad 2 copper.

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

(edited by MRA.4758)

in WvW

Posted by: Nauda.3678

Nauda.3678

Please let the reset stay at friday night! Even weaker servers are able to field quite a lot of people during the weekends which makes boring matchups a bit more fun in the beginning. Reset on saturday will make a lot of time where people would be able to play uninteresting because matchups would still be going but already decided. Please rethink this change!

in WvW

Posted by: DomAltares.8651

DomAltares.8651

…I am pretty sure that this means I will no longer be able to play as intensively as I have played before.

My sad 2 copper.

~MRA

Sounds all according to plan. As much as I adore having new people join and enjoy the WvW game mode, it seems increasingly that Anet wants to force this area of the game to cater to casual player churn as much as PVE does, at the expense of veteran players. I’d personally like the new players to come and hang around and become veterans themselves; Anet seems to want the non-stop karma train of uplevels and casuals that’s currently served by EotM.

in WvW

Kitta.3657

I don’t see why they don’t make it a 6 day ‘week’ and have the reset night change every week. Then people who have different work schedules or play time preferences all get ‘optimal’ reset time once and a while.

I don’t see why people are only wanting to fight for points the first few days of WvW but I do see that it happens. Even though with Gliko every point matters so playing on Saturday is just as important as any other day of the week. If you say people don’t care about the Gliko and winning then again why does it matter when reset is, if people are available and playing on Friday it can still be fun fights.

An unexpected side effect of this change that might be super good. People will log in on Friday and early Saturday because it’s the weekend but won’t care to get objectives or defend them so instead they will just fight each other (maybe). This could make the people that like open field fights just to fight have a bit of the weekend to enjoy.

One thing is for sure, things will feel different for a while and then will settle in to a ‘meta’ after a while (for better or worse).

I really like your point of view.
I think it does still affect negatively people who enjoy playing in EU time on saturdays (I mean past your suggestion) but the argument against making friday night pointless can be broken down with how you see it: People are still gonna be available on Friday! And it could shift into a fun fight night (or even a huge ppt push if that’s what you’re into)

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Perhaps the reset time change is to prepare us for a new 2-resets per week system. A reset on Saturday. And another reset on Wednesday.

Or maybe a reset on Friday also to provide a 24-hour battle. So we have a one day battle and then a 6-day war. That would be sweet.

in WvW

Posted by: Alethia.3597

Alethia.3597

I am also concerned the reset moves for WvW and missions/raids are being pushed the wrong way.

Our guild isn’t purely NA and some of us are getting a really narrow window to try and play with our guilds on the best overlapping nights of the week.
This change pushes WvW reset for me to 1pm on a Sunday and it feels like it is going to be restricting what content will be playable with the people I choose to.

I was hoping all of the major resets could have been switched to match the current WvW timing so there was time to meet up and attempt WvW reset night, raids, missions etc using the most of the international weekend overlap.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Kind of a weird change.

This will mess over WvW guild scheduling for guilds that specifically set their rallies for reset or avoid reset. The kind of impact to guild membership on who is available or not for the new schedule is unforseen.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Gotta admit that I don’t see any advantage to moving the reset time at least for players. KTrain is likely going to be in full effect Thursday till Saturday reset for most servers.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: iTater.4209

iTater.4209

Really not ok with changing it to Saturday; I work weekends exclusively and this kind of ruins things.

Aiden Montgomery, Professor Aiden

in WvW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

What the heck?? Weekend resets were the best part of WvW. Not looking forward to this at all.

in WvW

Posted by: angellips.9753

angellips.9753

This ruins weekend WvW for many people. If you really wanted to shift times to make the week more interesting – why didn’t you change it to Tuesdays? That is when you release new content and new gem store stock. It would then make the weekends rather intense.

in WvW

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

WvW reset probably being changed so that everything on a weekly timer uses the same timer.

Perhaps you could ask Anet why the weekly reset cannot be on a Friday for everyone. While it doesn’t follow how a traditional week appears on a calendar, does it really need to? This would bring less disruptions to existing players and provide extra time for players do do content on the weekends where there are usually more people.

in WvW

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

What the heck?? Weekend resets were the best part of WvW. Not looking forward to this at all.

Yeah, def not looking forward to this, and it seems the same with a huge portion of posters. I could maybe understand for a week when HoT drops, but permanently? Ugh

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers