WvW chats and mega server call for arms

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

1 thing I never understood in WvW:
Why are map and team chat doing the same?
- map chat should be this map (as it is)
- team chat should be all WvW maps (I.e. The whole current WvW team)

Maybe it’s a good idea to add:
Server shouts where each shout consumes 1 items shop ( or badge of honor shop) item
To avoid unwanted spam of stupid messages maybe not as free text but as fixed text: <WvW map on which this shout was used> needs urgent help
Into a world chat, that people can decide to see or not.

This becomes important with the mega server to reach your servers player as “go to LA and ask for help” no longer works.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

During Beta, map chat included opponents. In s/tPvP, it still does. The client needs the two separate channels to make that happen.

However, opponent chat in the largeness of WvW was just too much, and they bound the client-side /map to the same chat channel (think of IRC) as is /team.

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Ok, thanks for the explanation of the current redundancy.

Remains open:

What do you think of my proposal, to make use of this redundancy?

- map chat to talk to your team on the current map (as it is)
- team chat to talk to your team on all WvW maps (e.g. for multi-map scouting)

An the new think
- A server-shout buyable for honor-badge and/or gems to call people on your server for help.

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

It would take some getting used to- HELP red blob hills – oops wrong BL, but does make sense…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Virtute.8251

- map chat to talk to your team on the current map (as it is)
- team chat to talk to your team on all WvW maps (e.g. for multi-map scouting)

I agree. Have thought so for a long time. I’ve no idea how the data throughput requirements would look, though… I don’t know how they’ve engineered the chat system.

An the new think
- A server-shout buyable for honor-badge and/or gems to call people on your server for help.

I think this would be annoying. I really don’t care to receive announcement about some rich kid’s daily Tequatl raid, nor some retired guy’s call-to-arms for WvW “defense”. I get this infrequently via /whisper already, and that is enough. At least now it’s just an acceptable consequence of being well known in social circles. It would suck as a world-wide available buy-in.

Besides, you know my stance on the server concept. I ultimately want the divided and named server concept to be utterly destroyed. That would complicate or remove the server-shout capability.

(edited by Virtute.8251)

in WvW

Dayra.7405

An the new think

I think this would be annoying. I really don’t care to receive announcement about some rich kid’s daily Tequatl raid, nor some retired guy’s call-to-arms for WvW “defense”.

That’s why I proposed to do it that way in my opening post

To avoid unwanted spam of stupid messages maybe not as free text but as fixed text: <WvW map on which this shout was used> needs urgent help

Besides, you know my stance on the server concept. I ultimately want the divided and named server concept to be utterly destroyed. That would complicate or remove the server-shout capability.

With mega-server sooner or later server transforms to WvW-team , in that case it would be shout to (potential) WvW-team – independently how it is may be defined in the future.

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Or a simple wvw chat channel you can subscribe or not subscribe too. For all it’s faults, rift has a nice channel subscribe unsubscribe system.

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Have you considered getting on your server’s TeamSpeak?

Most servers use this to communicate across all maps and coordinate forces, and the information can’t be as easily read by enemy servers; with Map/Team chat, all it takes is one highly motivated person to buy a second GW2 account when they go on 50% sale (like this week), then park a level 1 character in the spawn point of any map. If Chat worked across all 4 WvW maps, a single person could do this and tell his server (probably on TeamSpeak or similar Voice Coms) what the Commanders are talking about on EVERY MAP AT ONCE.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

in WvW

Virtute.8251

Have you considered getting on your server’s TeamSpeak?

Most servers use this to communicate across all maps and coordinate forces

Most servers have the capability. Most servers also have a majority refusal to utilize it. This is actually for the best. We don’t actually want the majority of these people to spend much time trying to communicate… it gets ugly.

It’s great entertainment, though!

in WvW

Dayra.7405

I am on my servers team-speak when I am in WvW, but
- TS may be down (all these attacks …)
- There are people without Mic (hey I cannot scout I don’t have a mic …)
- You aren’t in the TS-channel, if you aren’t in WvW (commanders don’t like it, as they consider the channel as their core-army), so you cannot get calls for help this way.

@Liston: yeah that’s even better, you can subscribe to the team-channel, even if you aren’t in WvW.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: allstarpro.4610

allstarpro.4610

Better yet, make the “Team Chat” viable in PvE. Team chat would be to your server only in you current zone. So say your in Gendarran (not currently affected) and there is a 150 people from server x (your server) and 100 from server y (server your currently matched against). Team chat would allow all of server x to communicate while server y can still communicate through map chat.

Sovereign Union leader

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

1 thing I never understood in WvW:
Why are map and team chat doing the same?
- map chat should be this map (as it is)
- team chat should be all WvW maps (I.e. The whole current WvW team)

Maybe it’s a good idea to add:
Server shouts where each shout consumes 1 items shop ( or badge of honor shop) item

This becomes important with the mega server to reach your servers player as “go to LA and ask for help” no longer works.

I hope you are saying what I think you are.

All WvW maps should have one chat as well as individual map chat – two channels like party is to private speech.

This is an idea that will help immensely whether maps are queued or not.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

Map chat is prone to chat suppression, team chat is not, you can spam in it all you like.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

in WvW

Posted by: Richard Eberhard.9046

Richard Eberhard.9046

I’d like to have something like a ingame voice chat like the voice chat in counter strike. That would be a very nice feature.

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

I try to filter general chatter to ‘map’ and tactical info to ‘team’.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks