WvW for leveling and what is your view on it?

in WvW

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I’ve really been enjoying WvWvW recently but I have also started an ult elementalist now who is close to 30.

How is WvW exp wise for leveling a character and how much would I be bringing down my team following the zerg around at this level?

in WvW

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

Don’t worry about “bringing down my team” and just level up.

Leveling up in WvW is fine. Of course, crafting is much faster though.

in WvW

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

There’s plenty of non-80s in WvW and assuming your zerg is constantly capping things, then its very quick for leveling. You wouldn’t be bringing your team down as long as you’re attacking. The only disadvantage would be if you were running in a small group or 1v1.

in WvW

Posted by: silverfire.2547

silverfire.2547

WvW is always level-appropriate, unlike if you’re in a lower level zone, or parts of a PvE zone are lower than your current level.

Mira Alluvion (Me) | Hanna Bulwark (W) | Sophie Dusthaven (Th)
[CoSA]/[WWGD] // Sorrow’s Furnace (since August 2012) US West Evening Shift

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

A few nights ago was the first time on community teamspeak where I heard a commander specifically NOT want any upleveled players. It didn’t get as bad as an equipment check but that’s where it’s headed.

in WvW

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I guess I’ll give it a try and see how it goes. I do plan to craft from 50 to 80, and I am a little tired of doing hearts.

in WvW

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

I guess I’ll give it a try and see how it goes. I do plan to craft from 50 to 80, and I am a little tired of doing hearts.

Having leveled 2 toons from lvl 1 to 80 exclusively in WvW, one issue you will find is the lack of skill points. You will end up going to PvE to get some. You will also go to PvE to unlock some waypoints if you ever plan on doing anything outside WvW on that toon (guild missions, dungeons, rare farming events, karma armour in orr etc.). If any of those things are even remotely on your radar I would suggest doing some of the exploring/unlocking while lvling so you don’t end up at the end having to do it all at once.

AR

in WvW

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

A few nights ago was the first time on community teamspeak where I heard a commander specifically NOT want any upleveled players. It didn’t get as bad as an equipment check but that’s where it’s headed.

There are times where it is highly preferred to have people on their best toons and not on low level alts. Reset night is one example or running smaller scale operations where skill and ability is more important then zergball numbers.

AR

in WvW

Posted by: silverfire.2547

silverfire.2547

There are times where it is highly preferred to have people on their best toons and not on low level alts. Reset night is one example or running smaller scale operations where skill and ability is more important then zergball numbers.

Not to mention that not all upleveled classes were created equal.

Thief and Mesmer are classes that come to mind as having particularly noticeable disparities between a fully leveled character and an upscaled character.

Mira Alluvion (Me) | Hanna Bulwark (W) | Sophie Dusthaven (Th)
[CoSA]/[WWGD] // Sorrow’s Furnace (since August 2012) US West Evening Shift

in WvW

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

I ran with a very mobile zerg, tagging everything in sight, and leveled at least 5 times slower than I do in PvE. Hey if you love WvW and dislike PvE, then it doesn’t matter how long it takes. As for me, I wanted to reach 80 and be effective ASAP. Auto-attacking for 150 sucks.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

Take support traits and follow a zerg around. Give your zerg speed buffs, regen and don’t be afraid to rush in when you see an opening and CC for them. This will get you the xp. Yes you can do supply runs or run scouting missions but it won’t get you the same rewards, xp, etc. compared to following a zerg.

Besides there are a lot of max level afkers standing around hogging up queue. If you do the above, you will be far more valuable as a lowbie compared to the max level afks.

in WvW

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

I levelled a pile of characters through wvw and it’s not hard. My last one had until recently exactly 3% map completion at lvl 80 with about 300-400 hours in wvw, piles of skill points, etc.

You can use a map and just run to the skill points in the 1-15 and 15-25 areas and that will pretty much see you through on skill points.

Some classes upscale much better than others, so if you pick one not so great then make sure your doing useful things like manning siege (which is also pretty good for collecting exp).

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)